“Wonderful holiday”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Skelton
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
“Wonderful holiday”
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We chose this hotel at the last moment after reading the awful reviews of the bed and breakfast we'd booked, and I've got to say, we made a good choice - this hotel is lovely. Definitely one of the best features is the friendliness of the staff - everyone we passed greeted us, asked if we'd had a nice day, or what our plans were, and made us feel very welcome. The common areas of the hotel are spacious, clean, and were very comfortable and welcoming.

We had a family room - the window was small and there was a tree outside which blocked the light - however, the purpose of our trip was to visit York, not sit in a room looking out the window so it did not matter in the slightest. Room and bathroom were clean, well appointed, it was nice to have real furniture rather than built in units, and there was more than ample storage and space. Free wi-fi was also a great bonus! Room was cleaned daily by the housekeeping team who worked quickly and efficiently. Spare blankets, towels, pillows were all in the room, and didn't feel 'stingy' like in some Premier Inn/Travelodge type places, and there was a fan in the wardrobe. It was great to have a window that actually opened and wasn't locked for 'Health and Safety' reasons.

Breakfast was tasty, could be busy at times, but the guys who were there worked quickly at resetting tables. We never had to wait and there was always plenty on offer, with empty pots being quickly refilled. Occasionally had a slight wait for tea and toast to be brought to the table, and the hotel could possibly look at their procedures for seating people (a sign asking people to wait to be seating might have been useful for the staff) and their procedures for taking tea and toast requests. However, breakfast was a lovely experience overall.

The park and ride facility into York was great - the fare for the bus was less than an hours parking in town, and the parking was free. Was very convenient!

We are so pleased that we made the decision to cancel out B&B and stay at this hotel - we had an amazing week, which actually ended up being cheaper than the B&B!!

1 Thank alphabetsloop
Kevin M, Manager at Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your wonderful feedback. I was pleased to read you found the friendliness of the team to be one of the best features of your stay. We do pride ourselves in friendliness and service and I felt reassured when reading your comments that our standards were still being maintained. I do look forward to welcoming you back in the future and again, thank you for taking the time to provide such lovely comments.

Kind Regards
Kevin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Generally the hotel was nice and we had a warm welcome from the receptionist.

The major issue was one member of staff who was extremely rude when we went to the restaurant in the evening. We went down at 7:30 and were told that we wouldn't be able to eat until 8pm. We were fine with this wait but her tone and flustered manner was less than satisfactory. Whilst waiting to be seated another member of staff appeared and they had a conversation about how people just turn up to eat and how it was like this last night. Very unprofessional in front of guests.

We were shown to a table and waited for the rest of our party to arrive. We were not asked if we wanted any drinks. When the rest of party arrived we decided to eat down the road where there was a much better service.

After our meal we returned to the hotel and had a few drinks in the bar. Richard who served us was very chatty and a credit to the hotel for his customer service.

The waiting staff in the morning at breakfast were more concerned about putting there own food under the hot plate than anything else. At times four young members of staff complaining that there wouldn't be any food left for them at this rate and generally messing about.

The hotel was pleasent, unfortunatly some of the staff let it down on this occasion.

• Stayed August 2013
Kevin M, Manager at Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 2 September 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I would like to express my sincerest apology for the unacceptable behaviour show to you but a member of my team. I can assure you the action shown by this particular member is not a true reflection on the overall service my team provide and this is reflected by the many positive comments we receive regarding our service and staff friendliness. I have passed on your comments to my Operations Manager for investigation. I was however pleased to read that you found the other aspects of our hotel to your satisfaction.

Regards
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 28 August 2013

The hotel was in a decent location and the free parking made it a breeze to buzz to and back from the town centre. The reception staff were friendly as were the servers in the restaurant.

The room was stuffy and there was no airco. There was, however, a fan and the room was generally comfortable. It was a fairly good value and I believe we would of had a better room had there not been a tour group in that night.

The dinner we had at the restaurant was VERY good and the staff (while inundated by a large tour group) managed to serve us well. Breakfast was also very good.

I would probably stay here again as the value was okay. I would like to point out that they did not honour their wake up call, so set an alarm!

Room Tip: We stayed in the annex and not the manor part. Stay away from the main road and I'd choose some...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Goudwing
Kevin M, Manager at Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 31 August 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for providing us with your valuable feedback. I can appreciate the heat during this time of the year can mean the hotel room gets rather warm. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your breakfast and dinner experience. I can assure you we allocate each guest room by the room type they choose and that all our classic room are of the same quality. We do look forward to your return.

Regards
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 28 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed there recently on a group tour. Rooms were nice although ours looked out on a small dingy court yard - absolutely no view. Staff were pleasant and rooms were clean. Meals were nothing special - and breakfast was not great. Toast came late with no butter or jams - so cold by the time we ate it. Only hotel that served coffee with dessert though! Loads of bunnies scampering outside - pretty spot.

• Stayed August 2013
Kevin M, General Manager at Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent experience at our hotel. Naturally, any observations made on this website will be addressed, with a view to enhancing the experience of all our guests. We are pleased that you found the grounds and the surroundings to your liking, and would like to thank you for providing us with such valuable feedback.
Grimsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Managed to get a very good pre-payment rate for Sunday / Monday night. Room very spacious and well appointed although TV system needs updating. Staff very friendly and helpful. We ate in the hotel both evenings and were not disappointed although the menu was somewhat limited. The proximity of the park and ride is a real plus which made getting into York city centre very easy and inexpensive.

1 Thank RichardandSara
Dear Guest,

We consistently offer a variety of very competitively priced deals, with excellent value for money on our website, and we are pleased that you have found this process beneficial. As you have mentioned, it is very convenient getting to and from town with the ever reliable Park and Ride service, which allows a stress free commute into town. We are in the process of various food and beverage changes within the hotel, and trust that you will notice a difference to your menu offerings upon your next return to Fairfield Manor.
Reading
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Booked prestige room, more like a suite, huge room beautiful 4 post bed incredible value for money.
Receptionist very helpful and proactive.
Breakfast quality very good, service was a little slow, was however height of season.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for providing us with a review regarding your recent stay. We are pleased that you have enjoyed the features and character of the accommodation booked, and in addition would like to thank you for your kind comments regarding the reception team.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2013

I booked this hotel after reading the many positive reviews, as I wanted a hotel near York, but not in the centre (park and ride about 10 minute walk from hotel). It was a one night stay, for my husband and I, as he was on business in the area. On arrival the receptionist was very helpful and friendly. I had booked an enhanced double room, but the room we had, far exceeded our expectations. It was room 413 which I understand to be the bridal suite, complete with four poster, Jacuzzi, Nespresso & robes. I don't often go on business with my husband, but I was so pleased I did on this occasion.
The hotel had lots of character, immaculate, and very well decorated. The restaurant was lovely too. The staff (Lauren?) looked after us well, and helped my husband in his dietary requirements.
wine a little expensive (about £4.50 for small glass), but to be expected in a hotel of this quality.
As with a previous guest, I also experienced the unruly child, which was annoying, but nothing to do with the hotel, not quite sure what they can do about that situation.
Checkout was mid day, which was very helpful for me, and I didn't leave until gone 11.00. Would loved to have stayed another night, and if I was in York again, would almost definitely return to this lovely hotel.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, ask for room 413.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Kevin M, General Manager at Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 26 August 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for providing us with an extremely helpful and much appreciated review. It is such a pleasure knowing that our guests are leaving with a feeling of fulfillment, and hope that your experience has enticed you to return to our hotel. Your positive comments about our reception team, as well the the consistent passion for service delivered by Lauren and her brigade, will be cascaded throughout the hotel.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skelton
Best Western York Pavilion Hotel
Hotel Indigo York
Hotel Indigo York
#3 of 47 in York
Holiday Inn Express York

Been to Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!