“Nice Hotel”

Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Skelton
Reviewed 20 November 2013

The communal areas of this hotel are very nice, the staff on reception were extremely helpful. The breakfast and service at breakfast was brilliant. My only gripe would be the room had a well worn feel, which didn't match the state of the rest of the hotel.
The hotel is 2 miles away from the centre of York. Which was £10 in a taxi (we used to different companies)
I would recommend this hotel, if you have a short stay in York as parking is free and it doesn't take long to get into the city.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Kevin M, Manager at Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review, I am pleased to read that we met your expectations and that you found the hospitality to be of a high level. We are in the process of updating our bedrooms and I am sure you will see a remarkable improvement on your next return to York.
We do hope you chose to stay with us again on your next visit to York.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

I booked the Privilege Room to stay here for a special occasion. When we checked in we were informed that they had over booked our room and as a result had to be downgraded to another room. I had previously rang the hotel a few days after booking to confirm everything, and this was not mentioned. I was emailed before my visit and once again this was not mentioned. As a substitute we were offered a free breakfast. In hindsight, I should have requested a refund of the difference in price, as the breakfast certainly did not make up for anything.
The room we were given instead was up a creaking staircase, and was in my opinion not worth the money I had paid. We had two views, one was the A19, the other, a wall. On the bright side, the room was clean and the bed was comfy.
We were informed that breakfast was served until 12, so we went down at 11. They had already put the breakfast buffet away, but the waitress said that we could order what wanted and she would bring it to us from the kitchen. Considering, the mix up with our room,and the breakfast being a substitute, I would have thought a bit more effort would have been made by the waiting staff by making sure we were okay, we had everything etc. but it was not. We were given our breakfast without so much of a word, and left alone in the breakfast hall by all staff members. The breakfast was average, and I would not recommend paying £13.95 for it at all.
I was extremely disappointed with my stay here, and I would not recommend it. I will not be staying in Mercure hotels in the future, because of the bad service I received (the general lack of communication regarding the downgrade of our room). It ruined my relaxing night away and, if I had been informed in advance I would not have stayed here.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Kevin M, Manager at Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review. Please accept my sincerest apology for not meeting your needs and requirements. It is with regret that this technical error was only noticed on Friday therefore giving us no time to notify guests. I can confirm that this error has now been rectified.
Again, please accept my apology.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

Got a very reasonable deal and really enjoyed our stay there. Very spacious hotel set in lovely grounds and rooms are of good quality. Breakfast was excellent and so was the restaurant food. Its quite a way out of the city (actually useful as York is difficult to drive around) but nonetheless a good base to enjoy this beautiful city.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Kevin M, Manager at Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for your lovely review. I was pleased to read that we met your expectations and that your experience was of value. I have to agree with your comment that our city is a beautiful city and we do hope you choose to stay with us again on your next visit to York.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed 17 November 2013

We were on a short, 2 night break for a bit of rest and relaxation and this hotel is certainly well situated being very near the park and ride for an easy access into York. Staff were helpful and polite and our room was clean and comfortable. Breakfast was reasonable - better on the second day. On the first day, much of the cooked food was getting cold so not very good. We would consider staying there again

Room Tip: ask for a room towards the back of the hotel away from the road

Dear guest,

Thank you for your lovely feedback. I was pleased to read that we met your expectations and that you found the park and ride to be convenient and that it added value to your stay. I have address your comments with the relevant manager regarding your breakfast feedback and appreciate you bringing this to our attention.
We do look forward to you staying with us again on your next visit to York.

Reviewed 16 November 2013

have no fears staying here....we had a great weekend in York, using the mercure as a base. we wanted to eat out in York with our friends, so cant comment on any food . However, I can comment on very friendly service, very nice room ( clean, tidy and spacious ). we got a taxi in /out to the city centre ( £10 each way ) there is a park and ride along the road but a bit of a walk for women in unsuitable shoes :)
in short, this hotel exceeded our expectations, our friends also liked it and we would certainly stay here again....
there is a pub a 5 min walk from the hotel called the hungry horse,' get what you pay for' pub grub but very reasonable prices spent our first night in there having a quick bite to eat and a good 3/4 hrs drinking, tab came to £104 for 4 of us.....( including food :) )

Room Tip: we stayed on ground floor and the room was fine...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Kevin M, Manager at Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I was pleased to read that we exceeded your expectations and that you had a pleasant visit to York.
we do look forward to you staying with us again on your next visit to York

Reviewed 16 November 2013

Travelling back from the North, we booked this hotel for a night expecting "the tranquil haven" (as described on their website). It was anything but! We were given two ground floor rooms ( there were 4 of us) which were facing the busy road. It was like being in a roadside motel! To get to these rooms, one had to go down some rather tired looking and very narrow corridors. These were very sub-standard rooms, not worthy of a 4* hotel and they should have never been allocated to the paying guests, especially as the hotel rates we were paying were very similar to those of Central York Hotels. The hotel certainly didn't look full and as we turned up shortly after the normal check-in time why we were given those rooms is beyond me. The fire escape door facing the hotel drive in one of the corridors was left wide open -so much for the security! We were looking forward to spending some time in the gym, only to be told that the local gym they have arrangements in place with is not even walking distance from the hotel! When we got there, we were told we had to rent towels as hotel didn't tell us to take some with us! The breakfast was so-so; not a great deal of choice and not the best quality stuff ( this is supposed to be a 4* hotel!),some rather cheap tasting juice from the concentrate and the usual fry-up. The two staff ( there were rather short-staffed that morning) looked somehow out of their depth. One could, however, order from the breakfast menu in addition to/ instead of the buffet at no extra charge which was good. The concierge (or was he the porter?; it wasn't clear!) when asked where to park in York, which was 15 min drive, told us to take a taxi instead, rather than drive as parking was apparently expensive anywhere in York. Luckily, we ignored his advice, drove into town and found underground parking with very reasonable charges. All in all, not the best experience of a hotel stay. Sorry, Mercure!:(

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the garden and not the road!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review. I was disappointed to read that you were not fully satisfied with your stay and for this I would like to offer my sincerest apology. Your feedback will be passed onto the relevant department managers who will address your concerns with their teams. It is difficult for me to comment on your room allocation as you have not mentioned a stay date or room number.
We do hope you would consider choosing to stay with us again on your next visit to York.

Kevin

Also consider these accommodations in or near Skelton
Best Western York Pavilion Hotel
Holiday Inn Express York
Hilton York
Hilton York
#38 of 47 in York

Been to Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!