“NO COMPLAINTS”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Skelton
Camberley, United Kingdom
“NO COMPLAINTS”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Stayed for one night with family. The hotel is easy to find just off the by-pass and it's a straight drive into York (or you can catch the park and ride which is en route). There's plenty of parking (free) and check in was swift. The rooms were fine and larger than expected. Our only issue was that other than a gathering of Rotary Club members, the bar area was dead and the place had the aura of a ghost town. We had snacks and drinks but have to say prices were a bit steep - perhaps the reason for it being so quiet was due to patrons having walked to the nearby Hungry Horse? I'm not a fan of the Hungry Horse chain and so it was our decision to stay in the hotel! The public areas were spacious and had plenty of seating area. We had to dash in the morning and so cannot comment regarding breakfast.

If we'd stayed for more than one night there was a good B&B rate.

Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Kevin M, Manager at Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your lovely review. I was pleased to read that we met your needs and that you found your bedroom and the park and ride to exceeded your expectations. As York has many attractions etc, there are often occasions when our guest would be staying over to visit these attractions and therefor the bar area could seem rather empty.

We do hope you choose to stay with us again on your next visit to York.

Kevin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
york
Reviewed 24 November 2013

After attending this hotel for a course I hope I never have to cross the doors threshold again.
After the course myself and three friends decided to stay for a coffee. We had a misunderstanding and a cup of boiled water was snatched from my friends hand in an aggressive manner and with a nasty comment. After a few minutes I got the attention of the Operations Manager RANDALL [--] and explained that I felt my friend was due an apology. He asked me "who are you" "who are you" I said that I was a customer of that establishment and nothing else mattered, he told me to "[--] O*F", shocked and taken aback I said I would take this matter further, he said "you have no witnesses" this was true. But I have the ability to show him for the unprofessional nasty person he is.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Deborah B
Kevin M, Manager at Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Dear guest,

Could I request that you contact me at the hotel so I can discuss this incident with you?

Kevin McDonald
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2013

This is a nice hotel. The public rooms are pleasant enough barns, the staff extremely friendly and helpful and the breakfast was the usual bank of cereals and uninspiring fruit-like stuff followed by self service of the items swimming in the tins under the hot lights for an honest, greasy English affair with thin, cheap bread, toasted to stiff and standing to attention in the little rack as cold and erect as a statues...fingers. Mind you, we did go for breakfast 5 minutes before the end of service, so the staff disguised very well what I would have felt if I was one of them. And the chef was decent enough to throw some eggs into the fat for my husband, since there were none left.

The room was clean and quite nice - dark and therefore restful, and the curtains were velcroed to the wall at the edge, with a deep pelmet - a nice touch since it shuts out daylight and permits one to awaken when one chooses as opposed to having the eyes flooded with early morning light. Decent TV, bed perfectly serviceable, clean and well made-up. The bathroom was very convenient, its size permitting one to sit on the loo, clean one's teeth in the sink and have a lukewarm shower all at the same time. But very clean and reasonably appointed apart from the problem with hotel sinks - where the sink is flush with the ledge into which it is set, this ledge being level and not sloping inwards towards the sink, so that water splashes onto the ledge easily and soaks everything there.Since this is the only ledge in the bathroom, it means that the washbags either go for a float or sit on sodden towels, reducing the number of towels available for use.

Lastly, next door to virtually each room on the ground floor there seems to be a secret room with a locked door that is raised from the level of the floor. I think these must house generators or pumps of some kind, because I reckoned it was the source of the perpetual throb and hum that accompanied our stay throughout the night. I pretended to myself it sounded like being in the womb, with bowel sounds and heartbeat, and fell asleep anyway.

All in all, this was a decent hotel for the price and I would be happy to stay there again if I was looking for a decent, pleasant, non-ridiculously priced place from which to explore the ridiculously expensive York.

Room Tip: See if there is one where there is no generator or other throbbing equipment located next door.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Kevin M, Manager at Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review. I was pleased to read that we met your expectation and that you would consider staying with us should you return to York. You comments have been fed back to the relevant department managers and I am sure these will be immediately addressed.

We do look forward to you staying with us again.

Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 November 2013

The communal areas of this hotel are very nice, the staff on reception were extremely helpful. The breakfast and service at breakfast was brilliant. My only gripe would be the room had a well worn feel, which didn't match the state of the rest of the hotel.
The hotel is 2 miles away from the centre of York. Which was £10 in a taxi (we used to different companies)
I would recommend this hotel, if you have a short stay in York as parking is free and it doesn't take long to get into the city.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review, I am pleased to read that we met your expectations and that you found the hospitality to be of a high level. We are in the process of updating our bedrooms and I am sure you will see a remarkable improvement on your next return to York.
We do hope you chose to stay with us again on your next visit to York.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I booked the Privilege Room to stay here for a special occasion. When we checked in we were informed that they had over booked our room and as a result had to be downgraded to another room. I had previously rang the hotel a few days after booking to confirm everything, and this was not mentioned. I was emailed before my visit and once again this was not mentioned. As a substitute we were offered a free breakfast. In hindsight, I should have requested a refund of the difference in price, as the breakfast certainly did not make up for anything.
The room we were given instead was up a creaking staircase, and was in my opinion not worth the money I had paid. We had two views, one was the A19, the other, a wall. On the bright side, the room was clean and the bed was comfy.
We were informed that breakfast was served until 12, so we went down at 11. They had already put the breakfast buffet away, but the waitress said that we could order what wanted and she would bring it to us from the kitchen. Considering, the mix up with our room,and the breakfast being a substitute, I would have thought a bit more effort would have been made by the waiting staff by making sure we were okay, we had everything etc. but it was not. We were given our breakfast without so much of a word, and left alone in the breakfast hall by all staff members. The breakfast was average, and I would not recommend paying £13.95 for it at all.
I was extremely disappointed with my stay here, and I would not recommend it. I will not be staying in Mercure hotels in the future, because of the bad service I received (the general lack of communication regarding the downgrade of our room). It ruined my relaxing night away and, if I had been informed in advance I would not have stayed here.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Kevin M, Manager at Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review. Please accept my sincerest apology for not meeting your needs and requirements. It is with regret that this technical error was only noticed on Friday therefore giving us no time to notify guests. I can confirm that this error has now been rectified.
Again, please accept my apology.

Oswestry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Got a very reasonable deal and really enjoyed our stay there. Very spacious hotel set in lovely grounds and rooms are of good quality. Breakfast was excellent and so was the restaurant food. Its quite a way out of the city (actually useful as York is difficult to drive around) but nonetheless a good base to enjoy this beautiful city.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Kevin M, Manager at Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your lovely review. I was pleased to read that we met your expectations and that your experience was of value. I have to agree with your comment that our city is a beautiful city and we do hope you choose to stay with us again on your next visit to York.

Kevin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skelton
Best Western York Pavilion Hotel
Hotel Indigo York
Hotel Indigo York
#3 of 47 in York
Holiday Inn Express York

Been to Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!