“Huge disappointment never again”

Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Skelton
St Bees, United Kingdom
“Huge disappointment never again”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

Well we booked two nights a short break before Christmas.

Arrived at hotel went through the gauntlet of smokers at the front entrance on numerous occasions.
Room 307 gloomy, filthy net curtains and cobwebs everywhere.
The restaurant had a great 2013 offer so we decided to go for it The waitress was over chatty we wanted to relax not know about her Christmas table settings or how to change a table cloth! The starter came pate, toast and a pile of festering rocket which was fit for the bin. Next course ok not very warm but greasy and the sweet average.

The tv in the room was unreliable poor channel organisation, we had an empty milk carton with the miserable tea selection left with the kettle. The room was very tired in need of refurbishment Felt like we had been sent to and old attic room for servants

I always think that a hotel visit should be a treat - this was very poor the bathroom not a place to linger defiantly ready for refurbishment.

Don't stay here if your looking for a relaxing break - also breakfast fresh fruit looked tired and tea wasn't very hot.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LynnieRodge
Kevin M, Manager at Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 28 December 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review. I was extremely disappointed to read your review as your comments are no in keeping with the majority of our guest’s feedback. For this I can only apologise and I can assure you, that had your issues been brought to our attention during your stay, a solution could have been found.
I would like to wish you and your family a prosperous 2014.

Kevin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Worcester, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2013

The hotel is situated a few miles north of York on the A19 and is set in five acres of grounds. There is plenty of parking and the public areas are well presented. My en-suite bedroom was clean and spacious. It faced onto an inner courtyard and consequently there was little noise at night. The staff were friendly and welcoming. For two days of my stay I was the first down to breakfast and found the usual mixture of continental and English options. On the third day the dining room was packed with a coach party of Chinese tourists who were making an early start. Even so the hotel staff coped admirably with the surge in numbers. The dinner menu offered plenty of choice both for the traditional and more adventurous diner. While I was there on business, I felt it would also make an ideal base for a leisure break to explore the rich heritage that York has to offer.

Room Tip: The A19 is a particularly busy road at peak times of day. If you can use the park and ride nearby t...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Kevin M, Manager at Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 25 December 2013
Dear guests,

Thank you for your review. It was pleased to read that we met your expectations and you had an enjoyable stay.
I trust you had a lovely Christmas? and would like to wish you and your family a happy new year.

Workington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

Stayed at this hotel with work colleagues and attended their, White Ice Race Night Christmas Party. The hotel staff were friendly and helpful in all departments.

The only small issue we encountered was; there was little or no in some cases telephone signal, you had to go outside into the cold to phone.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Kevin M, Manager at Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 21 December 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your lovely review. I was glad to read that you enjoyed your stay and Christmas party. It is rewarding to know that our guests had an enjoyable time and that we have met their expectations. We do look forward to you staying us again on your next visit to York. I would like to wish you and your family a Merry Christmas and prosperous 2014.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

I stayed here 8 months ago and little has changed (review here http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g940868-d192667-r158617861-Mercure_York_Fairfield_Manor_Hotel-Skelton_York_North_Yorkshire_England.html). The staff are very good, but the rooms just don't cut the mustard for a four star hotel in 2013. I'll make two specific suggestions - firstly, ditch the Accor super-limited TV system and just have Freeview. If the Mercure in Darlington and Ibis in Brighton can have Freeview then I see no reason why this hotel cannot also. Secondly, even though the bathrooms need completely ripping out, just start by replacing the fixed head showers with shower hoses.

I ate in the restaurant and I thought the food was exceptionally good, especially given the price. If the hotel is to stand any chance of competing with Aldwark Manor then I think the restaurant needs formalising a little more as the food is a real strength but seems somewhat out of place.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Kevin M, Manager at Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review. I would like to emphasise that we value all of our guest’s feedback and opinions and do understand that the décor might not be to everyone’s taste. However, we do feel the decor is in keeping with the traditional manor house and it isthis which gives the hotel itscharacter. I would also like to assure you that we meet all the AA criteria in order to achieve a 4 star rating.
I was pleased to read that you found the food to your liking and your feedback will be passed onto my head chef.

Kevin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skelton
Holiday Inn Express York
Holiday Inn York
Holiday Inn York
#36 of 45 in York
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,245 reviews

Been to Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!