“Medioca Mercure”

Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Skelton
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Just returned from 2 days at the Fairfield Manor which was an Anniversary break from my hubby, he had splashed out on a suite for us which is something that we have never done before, our first impression as we drove in was that it looked very old and tired in much need of a good coat of paint on the outside, we hoped the inside was going to be better, as we entered the receiption area we were thankfully pleased, old fashioned in style but this was in keeping with the era of the building itself, nobody was at the desk and had to wait a little while before checking in but the girl was polite and welcoming, we were given directions to our room 301 on second floor when we got to the room that was when I first found we had one of the suites, the bedroom was very large as was the bed, plenty of wardrobe and draw space and a tv in the corner, however the view from the bedroom was very dissapointing as we looked straight at a wall, the lounge area too was of a good size with another tv, tea making facilities with a coffee machine with instructions on how to use it, although we didn't, one bad thing with this was that the kettle didn't have a socket near it to plug it in which in our eyes was a silly thing not to have we had to boil it standing on the floor near the tv, the view from this window was a little better but still not what I would have expected from a suite, the bathroom was a good size with a shower over the bath and a jacuzzi, this was lovely but the shower was a let down, it kept loosing water pressure, what pressure it had wasn't brilliant, and when the pressure did come back the water turned cold for a few seconds, slippers and robes where also there for our use and equiped with a decent hairdryer, overall the room and the hotel were very clean. We went back down to the bar for a drink again we were kept waiting before being served, there is a buzzer on the bar to call for assistance which we used twice, the gentleman that came to serve us (didn't get his name but he wore a suit not bar uniform) was very nice and welcoming and served us promptly with an appoligy for keeping us waiting, we saw him a few times during our stay and became very friendly even as we approched the bar on another occasion knowing what our drinks were. We ate in the hotel restaurant the first night which we had to make a resavation for, we were not over impressed with the choices and thought that the wines were overpriced for what they were, when we had our meal order taken my husband asked for a steak, but he was not asked how he wanted it cooking we had to inform him ourselves of that, the wine was brought out a white wine as that is all we drink which as anyone knows should be served chilled, this was not chilled it was straight off the shelf so although not warm it was too warm for a white wine, the meal was very good, well cooked and well presented, but as it was our anniversary we didn't class it as a special meal and decided to book elswhere for our second nights meal. Time to retire for the night, I don't always sleep well the first night but I bet I only got around 4 hours broken sleep due to the heat in the room, the window was opened as far as possible but was still too warm, I found the radiator was on high and that hot I couldn't touch it but ensured this was turned off (by my hubby) the next day, night 2 was much better but still not perfect, the floor boards creak at every step both within the room and the corridor outside, a party of ladies were staying for a hen weekend and we could clearly hear then coming and going from their rooms, sound proofing would be a welcome addition to save guest from being disturbed. In the morning we went down for breakfast, ours was included in our booking but to see how much is charged for what is on offer again is over priced, the scallop potatoes looked like they had been re-heated as they were all wrinkly and not very hot, the menu actually said they were rosti, they most definatly were not, the eggs had been cooked so much they had a burnt crispy skin to the underside, I asked for some bacon as there was none left, I was told they would get some and go back to my table where some would be brought over to me, it wasn't, however the second morning I asked for the smoked haddock with poached egg which was lovely, but they did get our tea/coffee order wrong. To sum up our weekend, it was pleasant but could have been so much better and is well overpriced for everything, I could have been just a comfy and eaten just as well by staying at the Premier Inn down the road, will we go back? No, but I do wish I could have given a score of 3.5 as 3 is a bit on the mean side but didn't feel I could give 4.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Kevin M, General Manager at Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for all the invaluable feedback you have provided us regarding your stay with us. We will actively look into all the areas you have highlighted, with a view to improve the areas of concern.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,167)

Reviewed 25 April 2014

Just returned from a thoroughly enjoyable three night stay here with our two grandchildren.Really thrilled with the room we were given. Which was large and spacious, more like a suite really. Large garden for the children to run around in. Ideally located for our visits to York as the Park and Ride was only a short 10 minute walk away. Great service throughout the hotel, all the staff were very pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

The staff are a tremendous credit to the success of the hotel, and we are pleased that you have enjoyed your recent stay with us. Your wonderful comments will certainly be communicated to all involved.

Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

Myself, my husband and 3 year old stayed here for one night on a room only basis.

When we arrived the friendly receptionist told me that she had no recognition of my booking, I booked through Expedia, so I'm not sure whether it was the hotels or expedia's mess up. After a short while the receptionist had it sorted and apologies for the mix up.

We booked a family room, so a double bed and a single bed. The room was sizeable and bathroom was a good size.

Everything was clean and you even got PG Tips tea bags instead of own brand rubbish.

The bath, however, was really slim, I'm only tiny and I struggled in the bath. I would recommend having a shower over a bath.

The hotel is nice and a good base for York as it's only 3 miles away.

Free parking too!

Would happily stay again and I recommend.

Stayed: April 2014

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your review, and we will certainly endeavour to look into the problem you have recently encountered. Thank you for your valuable feedback.

Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights in a family room. The surrounds and gardens are lovely to walk around. We found the reception staff to be unfriendly at times and provided limited helpful information. In our room the hot water kept cutting out during a shower and the toilet wouldn't always flush. The floor boards through out the hotel were very squeaky which was annoying, especially during the night. The hotel and the rooms were very clean. However the portacot we were given was dirty and we had to wipe it over before our child slept in it.

This hotel is very central to York city center and was only a 10 minute drive which was a positive of staying at this hotel.

Stayed: April 2014
Kevin M, General Manager at Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We will certainly be looking into the concerns you have brought to our attention, and would like to thank you for taking the time in writing a review.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank Domald C

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Just returned from spending a relaxing few days at this hotel :) Can I just put a special mention in for the breakfast staff please? Whilst we were there - these wonderful ladies and gents were rushed off their feet and at times, were having to deal with rude guests but they never once lost their smiles. They are a credit to the hotel. Breakfast was a joy - plenty of tasty, hot food.

Our room was lovely, we have stayed here before and requested the same room - a request that was honoured - more brownie points to the hotel :) Everything in the room was clean and in working order.

The only down side was that others in our party had very noisy neighbours - they were woken at 6am by the children in the next room shouting and banging about - the hotel staff did have a word with the parents of these children but sadly, the parents could not or would not keep their off spring under control :( This made for a sad end to what had been a lovely break - def not the hotels fault though.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank outoftowngirl56
Kevin M, General Manager at Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your very supportive comments, as well as for your continued custom and support. It is extremely satisfying to have guests return to the hotel, and we would like to thank you for your consideration in providing us with feedback.

Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for my girlfriends birthday weekend having seen an offer for the nights bed and breakfast plus an evening meal for £150. Our meal allowance was around £46 so essentially we payed £100 for our b&b for 2 nights which was brilliant value. It has a good location near the park and ride with easy access into the city. The room was very nice and clean sort of like a nicer premier inn but with worse beds. We really did find the beds uncomfortable but we got a bit drunk and it stopped being a problem. Restaurant was average and so was breakfast if you don't have food as part of your package I wouldn't really bother eating there. There is much better food on offer in the city.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank CaptainSpaldin

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable comments regarding your recent stay. Our sincerest intention is to address anything negative regarding your review, and we would like to thank you for all the positive feedback regarding your stay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Skelton
York Marriott Hotel
Hotel Noir
Hotel Noir
#1 of 2 in Clifton
Best Western York Pavilion Hotel

Been to Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!