“Mind the midges”

Ruswarp Pleasure Boats
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Ruswarp
Reviewed 23 November 2012

I've used this location many times. It's well managed and the views on the river are very pleasant. It certain times there are ducklings and if it's quiet the fish leap out of the water. A nearby pub has salmon in its title.
As the sun sets the midges come out so be prepared!

3  Thank Kingell
There are newer reviews for Ruswarp Pleasure Boats

Reviewed 7 September 2012

We've been here a few times now, and as ever this year we went for the annual family boat race up the river.
If the weather is sunny, then this is a great way to spend an hour or so. The river is wide and fairly shallow and slow moving, not at all dangerous.

The owners are very pleasant and the boats are in good nick.
It's rowing, so you go at your own pace and you should take a watch with you so you know what time to be back. The return leg is always quicker as it's with the current.

There's plenty of ducks n stuff for the youngsters (or some of us oldies lol) to feed so take some bread with you, and a camera to get some eye level close ups.

And for the more energetic you can have a boat race between you....Steve Redgrave has nothing on us......look out for us in Rio de Janeiro lol

Great fun for young and old.

Reviewed 7 August 2012

my son asked me to go canoeing with him while I was on a visit - as an older person I was somewhat concerned but had a wonderful time and will do it again next visit. what fun it was and reasonably priced. The river is calm and slow flowing so no real currents to worry about, lovely scenery and not deep if you did fall out. life jackets were provided. Rowing boats are available in different sizes for those not wanting to us a canoe.

1  Thank sasmum
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Thought this would be a good way to spend a few hours with the family, I was wrong!! We stayed on for around 40 minutes and we were bored. There was works going on too which were very loud. All in all it was not very nice.

Reviewed 10 July 2012

My wife and I went here with the grandchildren on a recent holiday in Whitby. The river and its surroundings are beautiful and Ruswarp itself is a quaint little village. We went on two rowing boats. It worked out a little expensive as we were charged per person and not per boat. Unfortunately there had been a lot of rain and the river was running very fast. Once we started rowing we found that we couldn't get the boat to move because of the undercurrents. We decided that it was too risky to go any further and went back to shore. The owner would not refund us our money even though we had only been on the boat for less than five minutes and it was dangerous for us to stay on the river. I was very disappointed with his attitude and found him rude and obnoxious. This is such a shame as we may have returned when the conditions were better.