“5 Star hotel? You bet it is.”

Michelle Boutique Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Balapitiya
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“5 Star hotel? You bet it is.”
Reviewed 27 February 2014

This is my last day here at the Michelle Boutique Hotel staying in room 114 and I’ve decided I’d take the time to let future, potential guests know my personal thoughts. The Michelle is rated as a 5 star hotel and the question is, does it deserve it?

I have witnessed whilst being here a disgruntled gentleman who after only just arriving was telling reception he was not happy with his accommodation and leaving straight away! Not good start hey!! I don’t know what his particular issue was and it doesn’t really concern me.
I came on this holiday as a last minute break from my work where I live in Dubai. I resourced the hotel through Booking.com and of course, read the reviews on tripadvisor.com. I was looking for somewhere I could just switch off and relax, lay in the sun and do very little, whilst in pleasant surroundings. I chose Sri Lanka as I had already been there in 2009 and stayed in a different 5 Star hotel relatively close to where Michelle is located. My wife and I had toured Sri Lanka extensively on our first trip and feel in love with the place. The landscape is breath taking, food is fantastic and its people always wear smiles.

The reason I am telling this almost as a story is that I feel compelled to convey the reason why as much as the thoughts themselves.

So what is 5 star? In Dubai where I live 5 star hotels are ten a penny. Hundreds line beach fronts and the downtown districts, all brand new and all pristine in appearance and their maintenance. Sri Lanka is different and people coming to Sri Lanka should be aware of that. Both my 5 star hotel experiences here have been very similar; beautiful surrounds, well designed layouts, great views, infinity pools etc etc, but both had areas that you would say were in keeping with a London, Sydney or Dubai 5 start hotel. What I’m saying is that people in general are sometimes too eager to see the bad in something. Yes some of the paintwork looks tired in areas….but so what. Yes you can walk across service areas (as in the picture taken and stupidly put on the tripadvisor site, which was by the way right next to my room, and did it bother me?….not). Yes some of the items on the food and drinks menu never emerged for the length of our stay…but so what. I could go on and on if I wanted to waste my time looking for fault!

Instead I would prefer to tell you; how stunning the view is, how the staff are just attentive enough (sometimes you do think a little too laid back) as to not be invade your holiday space, how great it was every morning to have breakfast on the terrace by the plunge pool and listening to the waves on the beach, how good room service was, how reasonably priced we found the hotel for food and drink, how attentive the staff where to our needs and most importantly, how relaxed I feel at the end of the week. When I set out on this holiday, I wanted to switch off and recharge my batteries, well with the help of the Michelle and its team its ticked all the boxes and I can only give it 10 out of 10, and you know what, all the little stuff doesn’t matter.
Well done Michelle, we’ll be back.

One small note and unrelated to the Michelle is if you are looking to see sights (I would strongly recommend Whale and Dolphin spotting which we did on this trip) there are two options; 1, order your own taxi/driver for the day or 2, have the hotel (whichever you stay in) arrange it though one of their associated agents. Either way make sure you know where you want to go and what you want to do and stick to it, otherwise (and this happened on both occasions) you will end up going to places that you don’t want to go, where the driver has financial interest (i.e. back handers for taking you “the tourist’ there), where you will feel pressured into buying something and or go on a boat ride and where the person who you are paying to drive you around is controlling your day. On both occasions it ended with a falling out with the driver and tainting what for the most, was a great experience. If you allow it to happen you’ll be going to several tea factories, a number of Gem stone shops, spice farms etc etc. Make sure the hotel knows you don’t want to be messed around by the driver and you won’t go if that’s what they (the driver) is expecting to do to you. You’re in control, you choose and stick to it.
P.S. You can spend a good few hours wondering around Galle Fort, so, get the driver to take you there tell him to disappear (as he’ll probably have connections there too!) and tell him to come back several hours later, then go explore. It’s safe, it’s friendly and you’ll love it.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Derry T
Ranjaka D, Owner at Michelle Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Many thanks indeed for your review.We are very pleased to note that you have enjoyed your stay with us.Your review I am certain, will be useful to prospective guests who are not very familiar with the Boutique Hotel concept.

Positive reviews such as yours inspire us to strive even harder and negative reviews help correct ourselves and move forward. Both are well accepted.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Arabic first
London
Reviewed 19 February 2014

The hotel itself Is ultra modern and everything works. It is very clean. We had a blocked drain in room six which was caused by long black hair of a previous guest so some attention to detail is required, I cleared it myself and disposed of the hair in the toilet, I know this might freak some people out. There was also a minor issue in the restaurant on the first night which was rectified very quickly. From then on food in the restaurant was excellent and some of the best we had in Sri Lanka, again attention to detail. The hotel is expensive by any standard and aims for 5 stars, in many ways it achieves this. Located on the main road there is little to do outside but this hotel is an escape from outside that's the point of it. I took a walk to the local temple and town and there is a nearby lagoon tour. In summary the hotel is beautiful, the staff charming and food and facilities great. We licked it a lot for pure downtime. Paul and Juliette Reid

Room Tip: The deluxe suite is perfectly adequate unless you love your own plunge pool. In mny ways views of th...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Slupsk, Poland
Reviewed 14 February 2014

this hotel is perfect, small, very cozy. I was lucky because I was the best room in the hotel. we had our own small pool on the terrace. something wonderful. teżietny access to the beach, you could feel very intytmnie, romantically. the hotel staff was very professional. every request was met almost immediately. breakfast on the terrace and the sound of the sea and tranquility allow for total relaxation. a large selection of breakfast with the card. Also surprising was the interest in us. staff warned us about niebezpieceństwie swimming in the ocean. one of the employees went far behind us, when he saw that the inputs going into the water and swim. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to relax and experience the romantic moments

Room Tip: best rooms with pool:). can feel like privat place:)
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 30 January 2014

We came here from another five - star hotel The Fortress , the quality of both , however, could not be compared, The Fortress I recommend it to all of ten , unlike this hotel....

Pros:
- Good food
- Beautiful beaches on both sides of the hotel

Cons:
- The first day there was a huge cockroach in the room.
- Road directly behind the hotel is quite noisy , ubiquitous trumpets can be heard in the room
- Snacks in the minibar very poor, and in addition, some beverages was after expiration (coke and fanta)
- Pool quite shallow , small and not very well designed - in fact, in the courtyard of the building
- Equipment in the room pretty battered and dirty - hotel was only opened a year ago at the facility but did not match
- Internet first day evening did not work at all , after complaints about the reception he ran , but he was very, very slow
- Unhappy air conditioning solution (room with pool), which is right next to the bed and when activated, blows you right on the head, which is not the best for health.
- The food was good , but expensive, 12000 rupees for dinner for two with a drink seemed just too...

Summary: With the preceding five-star hotel it could not compare , I thought it was more like three, maximum four star. Hotel does not new, as it should. Next time I will definitely staying elsewhere..

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Michal J
LondresMilanBruxelles
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Very beautifull place, but a bit isolated.
Nice architecture, big suites all with sea view and balcony, well furnished with everything you might need of good quality.
Good food, veeeery nice staff (all of them, from pool attendant, cook to senior management).
Good place if you just want to take it easy and relax as there is not much going on otherwise.
Defenitely enjoyed our stay there.
Highly recommended.

Room Tip: The presidential suite, if you can afford it ! ;-)
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Harlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We booked the hotel through Agoda, it looked pretty good, the day we arrived there was only two room occupied it was like a ghost town, food was ok but far too salty, they also asked what food. Wanted the day after! I can only presume they buy for the day, after we went for a stroll but the hotel is situated on the busy Galle road it was too dangerous to walk at night so we returned to the hotel at 9pm, the bar was shut, lights out no staff so the only option was the mini bar in the room, the breakfast on the following day I had Masala dosa some French guest had arrived and had not seen one before so my wife offered to them to taste which they accepted, the executive chef run over to her shouting she should do that as it was his job to feed the guest, we explained the situation but to no avail we argued with him and the manager, they where extremely rude, so we decided to check out a day early and lost £200 in the process, I would not recomend The hotel at all it's in a boring spot with little to occupy you, but must say the rooms where good but thats it and it does not make up for the slow staff & rudeness.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Stephen H
Ranjaka D, Owner at Michelle Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 26 January 2014
This unfortunate incident was brought to my notice but by which time the guests had already checked out. It was so sudden and I had no way of communicating with them.

During their stay we also had a French Group staying with us and ( who are still there ) their Tour Leader had very clearly indicated to the Chef not to offer them any spicy food as they had had a few issues whilst on tour.

The guests concerned, wife being Sri Lankan, obviously hospitable by nature had offered the group some spicy food she was having and at which point our Chef had advised her to refrain from doing so which had not gone down very well with her, There after she had complained to our Resident Manager that the Chef was rude to her. In spite the Resident Manager apologizing they had checked out immediately after, for reasons best known to them.

As this incident has left a bad impression, I tender my humble apologies to them
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 18 January 2014

After a 5 day/4 night round trip this was the last of 6 hotels we stayed at - and the best by far. It was the only hotel that was reasonably quite (despite being next to a street). The rooms are spacious, clean and quite luxerious - we even hat our own private little pool. The ocean is right infront of the rooms with two beaches on either side of the hotel. My friend even found a turtle egg on one of them. We did not go swimming in the ocean as it was very rough and the water murky but still a lovely sight to look at. I can also recommend the hotel's restaurant - EVERYTHING we've had there was top quality and very delicious.
Oppon arriving we received a free fruit basket and a free 10 min foot massage - which was a real bless after our hike up Adams Peak the day before.
If I ever come back to Sri Lanka I will go to this hotel directly and take my sightseeing excursions from there!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lukkucairi32
Also consider these accommodations in or near Balapitiya
Shinagawa Beach by Asia Leisure
The River House
#3 of 5 in Balapitiya
Vivanta by Taj - Bentota
Pandanus Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Michelle Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!