“Wonderful introduction to Ayurveda”

and 1 more site!
Amba Ayurveda Boutique Hotel
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Balapitiya
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I spent 10 days, 9 nights at Amba. It was my first foray into Ayurveda and it was exceptional. The doctor on site was very caring and set up a great treatment plan for me. She was always available to answer questions throughout the treatments. The staff who took care of me was very experienced and professional, and also very kind and caring, making sure that I was comfortable during the sessions. The cooks were amazing and the food was delicious, including local fruits and vegetables cooked in very tasty curries.
The hotel afforded an ample amount of comfort, with very clean rooms having private balconies, extremely comfortable beds, a small library area and a pristine saltwater pool. The décor was modern and minimal, which appealed to my taste. The owner is such a lovely person who made me feel very welcome and each member of her staff was always so friendly when I encountered them. The small size of the hotel and shared meal times allowed for good conversation with the other guests. As a solo traveler it was nice to have these shared times with others, while still able to have privacy when needed throughout the day. Though located on a busy street, you would be hard pressed to notice when relaxing out by the pool or during your treatment sessions. Located on a gorgeous stretch of beach, I was able to walk in the cool mornings in relative peace and fall asleep at night to the sounds of the waves crashing along the shore. At night, locals came to play cricket on a pitch on the beach in front of the hotel as well as to enjoy the sunsets, which were beautiful most evenings. A yoga class was offered each morning at 7am, a very nice way to start the day. If you wanted to venture outside the hotel, the manager was very helpful in setting up excursions to local attractions and neighboring towns, with car and tuk tuk drivers who spoke English and were very knowledgeable about the area. My flight times were very early in the morning, but I was allowed a late check-out my last day, so I could stay in the comfort of my room until a driver picked me up and brought me to the airport.
I would definitely recommend this place to anyone who is interested in Ayurveda, or those who are very experienced with it. I hated to leave when the time came, as it was such a lovely and welcoming place and I hope to visit again sometime in the future.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Christine H, Guest Relations Manager at Amba Ayurveda Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

The Amba Team is delighted you had such an enjoyable stay in our hotel. Thank you very much for having taken the time to write a detailed account of your experiences and for sharing it with Trip Advisor. We are looking forward to welcoming you again!

Reviewed 17 March 2014

We spent our 2 year anniversary at this hotel and were very pleased that we stayed here. The hotel is located on a beautful stretch of quiet peaceful beach. The hotel staff was wonderful! We really enjoyed the healthy ayurvedic food and learning about the local vegetables and herbs used in the variety of dishes we were served. Overall, it was a fantastic place to stay if you are looking for a relaxing and rejuvinating experience.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Christine H, Owner at Amba Ayurveda Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay at our Hotel! Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with Trip Advisor. Now you know where to go if in need of a relaxing and rejuvenating holiday! We would be very happy tp welcome you again!

Reviewed 14 February 2014

I have booked Amba Ayurveda Boutique Hotel on my last day of my 10 days vacation in Sri Lanka. The booking thought Agoda is a pre-paid Full Board with Ayuveda treatment. Full Board means breakfast, lunch and dinner included.

I check in on the 12th Feb evening. But it turn out :
(1) I did not receive Full Board, I was being asked to check out before 11am 13 Feb, because they have booking for the room. My flight was on the 2 am in the morning of 14 Feb, luckily my Tour guide (triplankatours.com) immediately arrange me to a lunch package with Cinnamom  BEY BERUWALA, a good deal include lunch buffet and lying besides the pool for the afternoon before going to the airport in the evening.
(2) The pre-paid Ayuveda treatment, I receive was muddle through in 20 minutes which was one of the worst Ayuveda treatment I ever have. ( I have over one thousand SPA and Ayuveda treatment for last 30 years).
(3) The Hotel is not located in Hikkaduwa, later I find out in google map the Hotel is located 15 km from Hikkaduwa. And the Hotel is located adjacent to a cemetery.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank Ng V
Christine H, Owner at Amba Ayurveda Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

We deeply regret the last day of your holiday was disappointing. According to the booking conditions checkout from guest rooms is 11am. ‘Late checkout’ can be accommodated depending on room availability but cannot be guaranteed. Advance notice is recommended. We’re sorry you decided to leave Amba before lunchtime and that you declined an Ayurveda treatment on the day of your departure. We accommodated your wishes for a late-Ayurveda treatment after your arrival by our most senior therapist. Sadly you chose to stop the treatment early. Our location on a pristine beach ‘off the beaten path’ is correctly and clearly marked on the Agoda map. However, we’re aware that Agoda has grouped Amba with the Hikkaduwa hotels. We’ll raise this issue with our Agoda contact partner.

Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

I visited Amba for only one day, but was instantly impressed by the serene atmosphere, personalised service and exquisite stylistic choices throughout the hotel.
The beach is a short walk across the white sand, but it is difficult to justify leaving the calmness of the saltwater pool in favour of the waves.
The kitchen is open plan and I was encouraged to participate, since I have an interest in cooking, and the in house chefs were fascinating to watch.
A private, personalised paradise, and well worth a visit.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank TheTravelBites
Christine H, Manager at Amba Ayurveda Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

We are delighted your short stay with us left such a favourable Impression and hope very much we can welcome you to a full Ayurveda experience one day!

Reviewed 18 December 2013

We were 3 friends and spent 8 days in this wonderful property. Once you close the entrance door behind you, you forget the hustle and bustle of the "outside" world and find yourself in a quiet and peaceful spa. We experienced the excellent diagnosis of the ayurveda doctor and the prescribed treatments were absolutely rejuvenating.
Our room was spacious and very comfortable and had a lovely view on to the beach with the golden sand.
The meals were all well-balanced and very tasty and nourishing. We were fortunate enough to step into the kitchen and get to see how the curries are being prepared. All absolutely fresh from the market to your mouth. I loved the prawn curry for my farewell dinner.
The host Christine did everything to make our stay unforgettable. We will definitely return.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bernard F
Christine H, Owner at Amba Ayurveda Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2013

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and that you shared your experiences with tripadvisor. Thank you! The Amba Team is looking forward very much to welcoming you again!

Reviewed 16 December 2013

Stayed here with my wife for 4 nights and loved all aspects of our stay. Christine, the owner, bent over backwards to make our stay as agreeable as possible. I am no expert on Ayurvedic treatments or massages but it all felt very professional and relaxing. The beach might as well be private: we were the only people on it the whole time and there is a rustic cricket pitch right next to the hotel where I joined local lads in a game. The food was great: the chef is very adept managing to balance all the flavours together expertly. Overall a very pleasant experience. One suggestion: perhaps add movies to the TV subscription.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Maurice M
Christine H, Owner at Amba Ayurveda Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Thank you for your excellent review! We are delighted we managed to make your stay a pleasant one! We hope to welcome you again soon. Thank you for your suggestion regarding a movie channel! We will fpllow it up!

Reviewed 14 December 2013

We stayed at Amba for a week and enjoyed our entire stay, the wonderful treatments in the relaxing setting and the excellent food & service ! The curries were awesome ! The Ayurveda doctor´s diagnosis was accurate. The recommendations for the local sights were an additional bonus. Hats off to the charming host Christine and her very friendly staff. This is a place to come back again for sure !

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Pranavito R
Christine H, Owner at Amba Ayurveda Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

We are delighted you all enjoyed the stay with us! Thank you for having taken the time to write such a wonderful review! The Amba Team hopes to welcome you again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Balapitiya
Shinagawa Beach by Asia Leisure
Vivanta by Taj - Bentota
Aditya
Aditya
#1 of 27 in Hikkaduwa

Been to Amba Ayurveda Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!