“Avoid if you can”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 11 May 2014

This looks a charming period inn from the outside and we chose it as the most promising looking eatery in this lovely little hamlet along the Pembrokeshire coast on Mayday bank holiday. I ate there with my husband and children.

It was truly dire in that provincial- seaside- restaurant - circa 1970's way that was parodied in Fawlty Towers. . Despite being less than two minutes from a rocky shore, groaning with fresh shellfish ( several tons of live mussels between Amroth and Wiseman's Inn), the menu only offered deep-fried breaded fish, the majority pulled from the freezer, the several varieties all being indistinguishable from each other, and tasting of nothing but vegetable oil. The 'fresh' vegetables, comprising nothing more exotic than peas and carrots, had clearly all been put on to boil the previous Tuesday.

The service, whilst not exactly poor, had a whiff of 1970's condescension, the implication being that we, the customer should be jolly grateful to be fed and not complain. I notice another reviewer also remarked on the intransigence of the kitchen when he asked for his food to be cooked in a particular way, that "It comes as it comes."!

This place really is the embodiment of all that is wrong and depressing about restaurants away from London and other urban centres. It clearly has no need to try to please customers as the two other establishments in the village looked equally dire. The irony of this execrable cuisine being served on the doorstop of a veritable cornucopia appears to have gone unnoticed, and tired customers must be grateful for mouthfuls of hot oil and macerated veg.

Strangely it offered rather nice puddings (hence the 2 star rating) which suggests that someone along the way knows what they're doing.

3  Thank Lucy G

Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

Lovely pub. Very friendly and welcoming. Sunday lunch superb! Great taste . real joint of meat not plastic! all fresh ingredients and the most delicious gravy! Fantastic!

Reviewed 27 January 2014

We received a frosty welcome by someone more intent on barking at staff than attending to customers. The Sunday lunch was comprised of frozen ( ie bought in) roasties and soggy cauliflower carrots and peas. It was a real school dinner job-hard to complain about but you just know you'll never go back. Amyway by the tone of the welcome I think any feedback would have talked on deaf ears. A shame as we've been twice before and this has been a nice pub. Perhaps it's changed hands, I don't know.

3  Thank KentishKen
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Awful experience....put me in a bad mood for the rest of the day...really wish i had complained. Customer service was appalling....put the two of us on a table that was clearly in a doorway so had to move out the way to let people through whilst eating. They never came to take plates away, so went up to order desserts and three behind bar ignoring me for 5 minutes. Stood in three different positions to try and be noticed, lady ignored me talking to locals and bloke and young girl walked off to wipe tables as if they had nothing to do. I was so annoyed, my other halfs crumble was mush on a plate and then when i came to pay they charged £3.95 for puddings though on the chalk boards everywhere the puddings cost £3.50. Never again, and will tell everyone i know not to go there!!!!

3  Thank CBuffy2013
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Went to the Amroth Arms last Sunday for lunch. Didn't expect much of a problem in getting a table for me, my wife and the dog and in the end didn't, thanks to the landlords magic wand. Sunday lunch soon arrived (beef roast) and what a feast it was, piping hot, perfectly cooked veg, delicious gravy and a mountain of tasty beef that fell melted in the mouth.
By the time we left the pub was heaving and it is no wonder all the tables were booked, the food was fabulous.
We go to the Amroth area 2 -3 time per year and have done for 20 years or more and I am embarrassed to say this was the first time we have dined in the Amroth Arms, it certainly wont be the last.
Oh and one last thing terrific value for money.

1  Thank Bobbygriff2013