“Clean, basic motel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Engelhard's Oceanview Lodge

Engelhard's Oceanview Lodge
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Masset
Engelhard's Oceanview Lodge
Vancouver, Canada
“Clean, basic motel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2013

After a month of travelling we needed a proper bed and unlimited shower time. A few of the B&Bs we tried in Masset were fully booked (early July).

We saw the motel and gave it a try.

It fit our needs perfectly. The rooms were basic, but large and clean. The operators were friendly.

Most importantly for us; the shower was hot and unlimited!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2013

The rooms at this hotel are very spacious, with an ocean view (or canal that leads to ocean) where you can see numerous bald eagles. The hotel is beside a large dock that you can walk on to get a better view of the water.
In the room there is a bar fridge, TV (with some stations) and wireless internet (very slow connection...forget about trying to access Netflix). The rooms are nice and warm which is great considering the cool temps of this area.
The breakfast was hardy and included in the price and the owners very pleasant.
The hotel is in the downtown part of Masset so one can easily walk 2 min to a well stocked grocery store (Coop) or restaurants (when open).

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2013

Englehard's is a very well run lodge. The rooms are spacious and clean. Basics only. Bed. Table, Fridge. Wifi. TV. Breakfast is a big attraction. Made to order in the morning by Fritz (the owner). He was formerly an executive chef at the Fairmont Hotel in Winnipeg. Great way to start the day.

Room Tip: They all have an ocean view.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
North Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2012

This is a hard review to write. Owners are very friendly and helpful. The rooms are quite clean, very large and comfortable. Free wi-fi worked fairly well, but slow if streaming video. Breakfast is included; choice varies slightly daily, but included waffles or eggs (your choice), bacon or ham/sausage and toast and is made fresh to order. Nice, bright breakfast room with excellent view of the inlet, as do all the rooms in the main building.

This is hard because for my second night I moved to room #22 (I had been sharing a room with a colleague and took a vacated room from someone in our group) and the room was not cleaned well, even though they knew I was going to be taking the room when they gave me the room key. Hair was left in the bathtub and I don't think the sheets were washed on one bed. Rather than take issue, I decided to just sleep in the other bed, even though there was a stain on the sheet. I wish I hadn't because I woke up and found a small blood stain on the sheet next to my arm. I didn't pay much attention at the time, but a few hours later, after I had flown back to Vancouver, I realised that I was covered with (60+) bites all over my upper body and face. After developing a bad allergic reaction, I went to my doctor who said they looked like bedbug bites! I emailed the hotel to let them know, and a week later I still haven't heard back.

Yes, that's awful and I hope they reply and take action. But that being said, I probably would still stay again at this place... after thoroughly checking the mattresses first!!

Room Tip: Stay on the second floor in the main part of the lodge. Rooms in the house (where the owner's li...
Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank iloveclubmed
Port Orchard, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2012

We were pleasantly surprised with our accommodations. Although a little rustic-looking from the outside, the rooms were nicely furnished with modern amenities and WiFi. A view onto the beach, where I counted 15 bald eagles waiting patiently for the fishing boats to throw scraps overboard. No coffee in the room or airport shuttle are the only downsides. But I was pleasantly surprised when we went into breakfast, expecting standard "continental" to have a hot breakfast (eggs, bacon, ham, etc) prepared to order,

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Skneip
Courtenay, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2012

If there was another motel or hotel operating when we were there, we didn't find it. Masset used to be a Canadian base town and when the Base left (80's) the town didn't seem to recover. Many For Sale signs and boarded up businesses.

The Oceanview was open and available. Our room was large and overlooked the water (a rocky inlet beach that was seemingly unaccessible from the premises.) The room was hot and the windows did not open. Our host gave us one price but when my husband went to settle up, his wife stated a daily price 5$ higher. My husband didn't argue the point - I would have!

The amenities included a continent breakfast. This was important as we never saw anywhere else open in town where we could eat breakfast. The fare was skimpy - there was a half of jug of orange juice, the choice of a waffle or eggs and toast and bacon. Nothing wrong with those choices but both owners hovered and I couldn't help but wonder if they were concerned that I might have a second glass of orange juice. And THEN WHAT would happen?

I read the other review - Eggs benie with salmon? I think its fallen on harder times since then!

Masset is a great launching place to go to North Beach (unless one wants to camp there in the rain and mosquitoes). This place is adequate. And has little or no competition at least while we were there.

Room Tip: Nail down the price at the beginning!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Prince Rupert, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

I would never stay at this hotel again. The room was musty, moldy smelling and the female owner was rude. The curtains didn't even fit the windows and on the bottom floor anyone could look into my room. I had to put pillows on the bottome of the window.

Room Tip: there are no good rooms here. Look elsewhere. No fitness room or restaurant
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Fritz E, Owner at Engelhard's Oceanview Lodge, responded to this review, 14 April 2013
Our rooms are posted non-smoking, the guest was charged for smoking in the room on her credit card. She promised to pay the charge with personal cheque, so we reversed the charge.
She never payed, instead she posted this malicious revue.