“Sleeping directly by the sea... Who wishes for more?”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Igeretxe

Hotel Igeretxe
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Getxo
Norway/Spain
“Sleeping directly by the sea... Who wishes for more?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

The hotel is situated directly by the beach. They have a long side walk around 1 mile at least that either ends at the "puerto viejo" the old fisherman wharf place with amazing pintxos and the locals gather there specially in the morning. Walking to the other side u will find the beautiful lighthouse and the new and modern marina where u can find from fancy restaurants to burgers or take away. The hotel has its own private parking.needless to say you dont need to go further to eat. At the hotel they have different restaurants. The japanese fusion rest. With a celebrity chef in charge. And much more! I would recommend this as the best hotel in town.location is superb. The rooms are clean and spacious. And so many things to do around! If you try it you will recomend it for sure!

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Etteatsea
Aitziber S, Propietario at Hotel Igeretxe, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Etteatsea

it´s wonderful you have enjoy so much your visit to Getxo and to our hotel.

Hope to see you soon.

Best Regards.
Aitziber Saiz.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2013 via mobile

stayed two nights in feb. Fantastic location overlooking the harbour. nice rooms, fantastic bed, room clean and modern. Bathroom nice, no bath but big shower cubicle. No hot water in the shower on three occasions..... breakfast was chaotic when the hotel was busy, with slow drinks service and no coffee on one morning. Restaurant staff speak no English and the evening meal menus's are only in Spanish. ( but food was nice)
About 5 mins away from local train station where you can get a train into Bilbao (15-20min journey) Also close to a very nice old part of the town where there are authentic bars and restaurants.
nice hotel but 3 stars because of breakfast issues and no hot water

Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Bibiana C, Gerente at Hotel Igeretxe, responded to this review, 17 July 2013
Glad you enjoyed your stay in our Hotel Igeretxe last February. Sorry for those problems you comment about and I would like to inform you that, few months ago, we got 4****! That's good news because it means we fixed those problems we had with the shower , the staff and the breakfast. Hope you can come and visit us again soon and see by yourself the changes. Thank you very much for your help and comments, they help us to improve our service.
Regards,
Bibiana
Nieuwegein, Utrecht, Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2012

The hotel just reopened after it had at bomb explosion a few years ago.
Advantage is that it has been renovated and the rooms are new and fresh.
We stayed for 9 nights at the hotel as my wife is from the area and we wanted to be close to my inlaws.
Staff is friendly but sometimes a bit slow on taking orders and hardly speaks foreign languages
Seems the focus of the management is on the higher class traveller with a higher budget than average. However at around 12 in the evening the music at the open air bar is turned up extremely loud. Apparently to attract (young) visitors but this doesn't really seem to work. The staff gets noisy (talking loud and throwing glass bottles in thrashcans) . This doesn't contribute to a good night sleep (even with teh windows closed). Complaining at reception doesn't change anything.
In the summer every morning the boulevard and beach in front of the hotel is cleaned by trucks and tractors. Nice that they do this but they start at 5 or 6 am and it makes a lot of noise.
Seems that management needs to make up its mind and needs to focus more on the better situated traveller who tends to appreciate some quietness during the night.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank 865Tim865
Bibiana C, Gerente at Hotel Igeretxe, responded to this review, 17 July 2013
Thank you very much for your comment. Sorry for the delay in my response, I know it is late. But I rather respond you late than never.
You are right about what you say. We needed to improve some things and thanks to comments like this we are trying to do so. We've made some changes in the staff and the music and hope that these changes make the traveler's experience better.
Best regards,
Bibiana
brussels
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

I was born in Getxo so I go back to my country nearly each year. It was really a good surprise to arrive to Getxo with sunny wheather and the hotel being renovated and although it was not all finished and some chaos was on going the staff tried to help and minimise the problems.

The hotel is situated on the seafront with a magnifient place to see the sunset. The new redecoration works have given a moderm minimalism atmosphere. Rooms have really good size with a complete bathroom. The ones given to the seafront to the clean and family beach are perfect.

The staff were friendly and helpful but I can not say the same from the Direction. During my stay, one night ( 31/05/12) there was a party in the beach which extended to the large seafront terrace of the hotel (sponsored by the hotel! and other firms) so near that we could say the party was in the room and the party finished after 1 o'clock. Next day, I just mentioned to the hotel that next time they should give some invitations to the guests (at least the ones in the seafront). I was not really angry for that as I use to go to bed late but at least an excuse was the minimum.

What really was unforgettable : When I left, I forgot some clothes (6 tops and shirts) in the cupboard. The day after I phoned the hotel and after several calls I joined the responsible and she told they didn't find anything but that they will investigate and try to sort out the problem. As I always think people say the truth I did not made any official complaint and thought they'll take things seriousl. It was in May 2012 and after several emails they have not given me any solution, well in reality they have not answered me at all. I'll be back to Getxo this summer, of course not to the hotel, and I hope I could do the official complaint.

That was May 2012 and after sending them several emails I have not had any news.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank aticusBrussels
Huddersfield England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2007

We have stayed at this hotel several times as it is well situated for access to the ferry back to the U.K. It is ideally situated on the seafront and there is a lovely wide sandy beach which is thoroughly cleaned each day.The hotel is probably a good 3* standard although the rooms are just about ready for some redecoration touches.The Hotel has a large seafront terrace which gets very busy due to its position.There isa large Bar/Restaurant which serves fairly basic Platos Combinados but the Restaurant proper is quite sophisticated and serves a good standard of local and International dishes.The staff are friendly and helpful.

A Trip Advisor member from Huddersfield England.

Stayed March 2007
7 Thank mikelj
Also consider these accommodations in or near Getxo
Petit Palace Tamarises
#5 of 5 in Getxo
NH La Avanzada
NH La Avanzada
#1 of 1 in Leioa

Been to Hotel Igeretxe? Share your experiences!