“Wide choice of menu”

Ranked #1 of 5 Restaurants in Sharnbrook
Price range: US$24 - US$80
Cuisines: European, Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The VesuviO Restaurant & Bar has been the Ciampi family business since 1987 where it originally opended in Clapham, Bedfordshire and in November 2006 it relocated to the new site, still serving our excellent traditional English and Italian cuisine. VesuviO is the beating heart of The Sharnbrook Hotelappetising all visitors from Conference Delegates to Wedding Guests to the Romantic Couple.
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We visit this establishment regularly. Prices are decent and there is a wide choice of foods on the menu. I normally stick to what I have had before, but like to try something different every now and again. Sometimes this is a hit, sometimes a miss, but you don't know until you try! I would prefer to be able to choose from the full menu on a Sunday as well as Mon to Sat.

I've had the roast dinners quite often and wonder if there is something missing from the recipe of the Yorkshire pudding...it takes like a profiterole to me, minus the cream and chocolate! The best part of the roast dinners are the potatoes.....mmmmm!!

I've tried a few of the pasta dishes and if I had to choose pasta again, I would ask for less sauce as it can be overpowering with so much sauce in a dish.

Dessert menu could be updated as it's been the same for a while. Choices are not entirely to my taste but must say that there is a great choice of ice cream flavours if ice cream is your dessert of choice. I usually have the fruit salad but on recent occasions it seems to be all apple and pears and less of the other fruit.

I'm not a fussy diner, but I'm an observer and being a regular visitor however, one doesn't get the welcome a regular would.....nothing like "nice to see you again...." etc. etc. We recognise the waiting staff and if it's one that has looked after us before, we make the effort of making conversation, but it only seems one sided.

I've never seen the waiting staff use trays when bringing drinks from the bar to diners and find that a bit odd?

Friday nights are good with the live singer....sometimes though it's so bad that it's good - love it!

1  Thank MrsG2222

Reviewed 27 May 2014

The club held their second annual presentation evening at The Sharnbrook Hotel on the 9th May 2014. The buffet was as good as ever whilst the service and attention we received made for a really enjoyable evening for all concerned.

I managed to personally pop in for Sunday lunch with my wife a couple of weeks later and we were impressed once again.

Tip to self; don't eat the excellent spare rib starter in a white shirt!

John Gregory AFCR&D Director

1  Thank John G
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Visited with my wife at lunch time two days ago at the invitation of a friend. We all choose from the Senior Citizens Lunch Menu, a choice of 4 starters, 4 main courses and 3 desserts. At only £9.95 for a main and a dessert we expected meagre portions, far from it! Not only were the portions generous but the quality was there as well. If I were to nit-pick, then perhaps my steak and ale pie could have done with a touch less salt. I have no hesitation in recommending VesuviO for a meal.

1  Thank brulynn
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We have been to this restaurant many times and have yet to experience anything slightly substandard. The service is exceptional and backed up by a great menu and fabulous food.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

We have visited this place with friends for a lunch. Hmm what can I say? I was dining here few years back and because I didn't have the best experience that time it took me few years to finally come back.
My Friends thought it will be a good place for a Sunday lunch.
Decor is ok - it's a part of a hotel.
There are enough parking spaces outside of the hotel.
Sunday menu doesn't give you lots of option however is enough to pick something for everyone.
It's an Italian restaurant however on Sunday people like to eat their beloved roast so they you go - there is a Sunday roast lunch.
We started our lunch from the starters.
I had a deep fried Mozzarella with (in) Napoletana sauce - it was literally drowned in the sauce.
I know it says sunken but at least the mozzarella should be crispy from the outside when delivered to the table - it was very soggy and wasn't crispy anymore.
My partner had spare ribs which were done exactly the same way - drowned in Napoletana sauce
In overall the starters were ok.
I have ordered Steak and Ale Pie - £7.95 not much but it wasn't great pie - I know it is Italian restaurant however when you already decided to make some traditional food make it good. Also what I would suggest the pie should be in individual pots so it looks better on a plate and the content stays in one place not like in my case looked like someone has dropped it from the height.
My partner had a "lovely" risotto. Hmm I am not chef but shouldn’t you use different rice for it? It was in my opinion long grain rice. The risotto was dry - should be creamy too.
And finally deserts
Profiteroles - were frozen so we couldn't eat them - we ordered cream for it
Double espresso served in a big cup – really?
Banoffee pie desert was literally sunken in cream.
The only thing which is very good in here is the staff - very aware of customers
Every time we need something they noticed us straight away.
Few times I noticed them with thumbs in plates - you should always see the thumb.
Few times on neighbouring tables they didn't clean all the dirty plates before serving the next dishes. Having said that your staffs are very good and this is your strong point.

As for the food - which is the most important in restaurant it was average therefore I will score your restaurant Average.

2  Thank SidDan
VesuviOCiampi, General Manager at VesuviO Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2014

Dear SidDan,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent VesuviO visit, I am also disappointed that you did not enjoy your experience although having been VesuviO for over 26 years we know we can't always please everybody. Unfortunately I do not have the time to respond with an essay correcting several inaccuracies regarding our cuisine - "the lovely risotto was made with Italian Arborio rice - we do not and have never stocked basmati rice" and the "Spare Ribs are smothered in a special recipe tomato sauce NOT Napoletana sauce, never has" - FOR EXAMPLE.

Regards

Ciro Ciampi
The Sharnbrook Hotel & VesuviO Restaurant & Bar 'since 1987'