“A good find”

Ranked #1 of 5 Restaurants in Sharnbrook
Price range: US$24 - US$80
Cuisines: European, Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The VesuviO Restaurant & Bar has been the Ciampi family business since 1987 where it originally opended in Clapham, Bedfordshire and in November 2006 it relocated to the new site, still serving our excellent traditional English and Italian cuisine. VesuviO is the beating heart of The Sharnbrook Hotelappetising all visitors from Conference Delegates to Wedding Guests to the Romantic Couple.
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Found this place on TripAdvisor, mainly due to its location being convenient to meet up for a meal with relatives, and good reviews. It turned out to be a great choice. Most of us chose from the fixed price menu, available Monday to Thursday at £25 for three courses plus tea/coffee and a drink. This was excellent value, with good quality options and large portions. My sea bass was the largest I have ever had. The atmosphere in the modern and spacious restaurant building was pleasant, despite being less than half full on a Monday evening. The seven of us were seated around a large round table, which was ideal. Staff were very helpful and struck just the right degree of friendliness. Not everything was perfect - my Mum was disappointed that they had no dry sherry for her pre-dinner drink (although they did go to check and dug up some medium-dry), and sister-in-law commented that the biscotti ice cream could have had more flavour - but they are minor quibbles and I hope to have the chance to visit again sometime.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Very impressed by the extensive gluten free menu for my toddler. All food was enjoyed by all, staff friendly and great atmosphere. Worth the little drive out of Bedford!

Reviewed 8 June 2014

This was my first visit to Vesuvio and i must say i was very impressed.The restaurant area was extremely clean ,modern and comfortable. The service was top notch, the staff were attentive without being too much in your face.The background music was at the right volume so you could converse without having to shout.

As for the food it was all very tasty and the portion sizes were splendid,i was full after my main course but being motivated by greed i scoffed my Tiramisu with gusto.There were not man other diners when we went but i felt this added to the cosy atmosphere. One the whole an enjoyable afternoon.

Well done Vesuvio.

1  Thank cherryblossom2014
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We visit this establishment regularly. Prices are decent and there is a wide choice of foods on the menu. I normally stick to what I have had before, but like to try something different every now and again. Sometimes this is a hit, sometimes a miss, but you don't know until you try! I would prefer to be able to choose from the full menu on a Sunday as well as Mon to Sat.

I've had the roast dinners quite often and wonder if there is something missing from the recipe of the Yorkshire pudding...it takes like a profiterole to me, minus the cream and chocolate! The best part of the roast dinners are the potatoes.....mmmmm!!

I've tried a few of the pasta dishes and if I had to choose pasta again, I would ask for less sauce as it can be overpowering with so much sauce in a dish.

Dessert menu could be updated as it's been the same for a while. Choices are not entirely to my taste but must say that there is a great choice of ice cream flavours if ice cream is your dessert of choice. I usually have the fruit salad but on recent occasions it seems to be all apple and pears and less of the other fruit.

I'm not a fussy diner, but I'm an observer and being a regular visitor however, one doesn't get the welcome a regular would.....nothing like "nice to see you again...." etc. etc. We recognise the waiting staff and if it's one that has looked after us before, we make the effort of making conversation, but it only seems one sided.

I've never seen the waiting staff use trays when bringing drinks from the bar to diners and find that a bit odd?

Friday nights are good with the live singer....sometimes though it's so bad that it's good - love it!

1  Thank MrsG2222
Reviewed 27 May 2014

The club held their second annual presentation evening at The Sharnbrook Hotel on the 9th May 2014. The buffet was as good as ever whilst the service and attention we received made for a really enjoyable evening for all concerned.

I managed to personally pop in for Sunday lunch with my wife a couple of weeks later and we were impressed once again.

Tip to self; don't eat the excellent spare rib starter in a white shirt!

John Gregory AFCR&D Director