“Great Function but accomodation severely lacking!”
Review of Clough Manor

Clough Manor
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Denshaw
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We attended a wedding at Clough Manor and I have to say that it was all perfect. The food was great, still hot when we received it and we were very happy with everything.
HOWEVER, the bedroom we had was a disgrace! When we arrived the towels in the bathroom had blood on them, we called reception for fresh ones and they were duly replaced. (more on this later). The taps on the sink were completely mismatched and looked terrible, the cold water was the very slightest trickle of water and took over a minute to fill a a glass to brush my teeth! The hot water was sooo hot that to wash your hands we had to fill the sink (and because there was virtually no cold water) leave it for a few minutes to cool down.
Now to the best bit.. The entire wall above our bed was thick with cobwebs, the cobwebs themselves were in turn thick with dust (see photos attached).
When we were checking out the following morning we asked if the woman on reception if she was the manager and she said yes, so I told her about the cobweb issue to which her reply was "that's not possible, the rooms are thoroughly cleaned 3 times a week", I explained that I work in housekeeping myself and assured her that these cobwebs were some months old and again she replied that it simply wasn't possible. We asked her to come to the room with us to see them but she replied that she couldn't leave reception. I also mentioned the issue we had had with the towels to which she responded that it was not blood but rust spots. This was not the case as it was still red and not orange rust spots.
She did give us a £20 discount, however it was an overpriced room of £85 (apparently with discount for being with the bridal party) and even with the discount was vastly overpriced in my opinion. The accommodation here is worse than any travel lodge but much more expensive.
I would definitely not recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Do not stay here!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank ladybirdseahorse
There are newer reviews for Clough Manor

Reviewed 5 August 2013

I recently held a surprise party for my husband's birthday at Clough Manor and it was superb thanks to the help and support of Kate and the rest of the staff. They were extremely helpful and knowledgeable with regard to planning and executing such an event. The venue was lovely and the food delicious. Everything went off without a hitch and our friends and family had a wonderful time. Several of us stayed over at the hotel, the rooms we had were spacious and comfortable and we were looked after well. We took a chance as the hotel had a number of poor reviews, but the new owners reassured us and we trusted them, and we are so glad that we did.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 July 2013

What a gem for anyone wanting an overnight stay just off the M62 and would also be perfect for anyone wanting to stay longer and explore the area. I couldn't have been made more welcome and it just so happened that I was the only person dining that evening. The restaurant is a lovely example of simple elegance and the food and service were superb.

The room had everything that needed and was spotlessly clean and comfortable.

The price was good too. Overall excellent standards and great value for money.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Nick W
Reviewed 20 July 2013 via mobile

Having scoured countless wedding reception venues myself and my future wife (still feels strange saying that!) opted for Clough Manor. I have always been familiar with the venue and was aware that it had changed its management a number of times in a short space of time, which never bears well...however, what the new owners of this beautifully located hotel offered us was nothing short of perfection! To judge Siobahn and her team on previous owners' merits would be a travesty. What they have managed to achieve in such a short space of time is extremely commendable. As soon as they took the helm we were regularly contacted and we arranged meetings to discuss even the smallest of details to ensure our special day/night would be everything we'd dreamed of- the same can't be said of the previous owners unfortunately. Kate took an active interest in what we wanted from our day and delivered that, if not more. The whole operation was slick and very relaxed as soon as we rolled into the car park in our vintage car to the sound of bag pipes until our heads finally hit the pillow. Not only was the hospitality exceptional but so was our meal. Ingredients are sourced locally and used to great effect. Every course was spot-on, even the childrens menu (which is often overlooked by some kitchens) was tasty and nutritious and they had no qualms in creating an individual main course just for my wife. The waiting on staff were very efficient, friendly and attentive, always with a smile on their face. The function room itself, where we enjoyed our meal (and dodgy speeches!) was very classy and the clever use of uplighting in the evening really set the party mood for the evening. The function room bar was well stocked and reasonably priced- everyone was well catered for in that department! The rooms were spacious and tastefully decorated- there weren't any problems even accommodating a family of four. The breakfast wake-up call from Siobahn was a lovely touch and it was delivered in her own wonderfully eccentric way :) Kate's support every step of the way was invaluable, she's a real 'people person'- even suggesting where to visit on our honeymoon having just returned from the resort herself! Overall, the whole experience was nothing short of perfect and if you too are painfully researching where to celebrate your big day I would strongly recommend this idyllic setting. Forget any reviews you've read before because with Siobahn, Kate and the team at the helm, Clough Manor and your big day are in safe hands. Thank you so much! :) x

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank sjd82
Reviewed 8 July 2013

what a day thank you clough manor for making it so special - the new owners are amazing and couldnt do enough for us, exellent food wow and aircon as it was a really hot day, we got treated so well and everybody comented on how nice the venue is,

Room Tip: everyroom is pieceful
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 July 2013

We were assured on the telephone that we would be collected from the tram stop at newhay. Sure enough, when i called to arrange to be collected, i was told there wasn't any staff available to do so. They clearly should remove this feature from their website as it isn't true. Poor customer service and false advertising. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank denzzil
Reviewed 29 June 2013

I have visited the restaurant tonight with my wife to celebrate my 60th birthday, also my daughter is having her wedding reception there next year. The menu and the food were excellent, the staff were brilliant. Its quite a classy place and we were delighted at the bill, very reasonably priced. Delighted that my daughter and fiancee have made the right choice for their wedding.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Denshaw
Saddleworth Hotel
The Gate Inn
#1 of 1 in Diggle
Premier Inn Rochdale Hotel
The White Hart Inn at Lydgate

Been to Clough Manor? Share your experiences!