This place is what you see in the movies, hidden in the hills a true gem with only 14 rooms a restaurant a pool and a beautiful garden overlooking the see (pretty far but the hotel is located quite high in the hills).
Everything's fashioned in a very simple style yet very pretty. We didn't feel like being in a hotel, rather like spending the time on a traditional farm only without the animals. The only thing we didn't get was cash only payments? People are staying there for up to 2 weeks....
LOCATION: You have to drive up the hill from Estreito da Calheta but not too far. The road to get to the hotel is quite good. It's secluded from the outside, no traffic, no noise, just great
ROOMS: The rooms are simple but truly nice. We got a room at the pool. Had a gras terrace, just 4 meters away from the pool. We had the perfect view from our doorstep. As there are not many quests we felt like being there almost alone.
STAFF: The owners are French and employ a German lady and about 8 locals. I guess just the German lady Britta was a bit "cold" but still polite. Nothing was an issue.
RESTAURANT: The food here was good, especially the breakfast yet it all seemed like my grandma cooked it. No use of spices, everything was very "healthy". Breakfast was great. They bake their own croissants, fix their own marmalade etc. Superb!
OVERALL: Yes! I'd come again! Loved it here. 85E per night is not too much for this.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Atrio is a small family run rural hotel located on the sunny south side of Madeira island. Wonderfully placed at the edge of a pine forest, nature lovers and walkers find the perfect alternative to the hustle and bustle of Funchal city. A sizable cultivated garden invites you to unwind and relax. Each of our 22 rooms are individually decorated and offer a terrace or balcony with a wonderful sea view. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Atrio reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Atrio Estreito Da Calheta
- Atrio Madeira/Estreito Da Calheta