“Relaxed but uncoftable rooms” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Las Sirenas Hotel & Condos

Las Sirenas Hotel & Condos
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
San Salvador, El Salvador
“Relaxed but uncoftable rooms”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2011

It was a very nice ,tranquil hotel.The bed was too small and hard for 2 people.The food was ok ,nothing wonderful but the Bar was too far away from the beach.No drink service at the beach.The hotel is nice but overpriced.The attention not that good.A lot of flies around the food.They focused too much in Italian people and left us out.

Room Tip: Ask for 2 beds
  • Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Raquel3940

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Mississauga, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2011

Very small resort, 37 rooms and about 6 condo rooms.
Staff were very nice, and resort /rooms seamed well maintained.
Food was OK, but I wasn't really expecting "fantastic" based on other reviews.

Very central location on West Bay and you can visit the other HM resorts on a dine around if you want, though the food is basically the same.

There are extra activities at Henry Morgan , so you can go over there at night to join in the shows or disco, I walked along the beach to get there and felt perfectly safe travelling alone. There is security at the beach during the day and in the evening. Not heavy duty Milatary stuff, just someone quietly keeping an eye on things.

I must give a shout out to Douglas at Las Sirenas. He is the activity guy there and made a point of sitting with me for dinner (although not necessary) and took me for a walk to the gorge which is really cool. Just take decent walking sandals and water to drink.

I don't speak spanish at all, and the staff were really good about this, I should have taken a little english/spanish book with me.

Fosters, Bite on the beach and Celestes are all really close by and worth a visit even though Las Sirenas is all inclusive, lunch at these places are not expensive.

Sand fleas were not a problem, thought for sure they would be.. I saw a few folks with some bites but nothing crazy.

I saw some people baking in the sun, and frankly I don't know how they did it.. I know I'm a bit fair skinned and I pre-tanned, but please do not under estimate the UV in roatan.

Thanks for those who posted before me, it really helped me plan my trip!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank crackerjacksue
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2011

Just got back from a glorious week in Roatan at Las Sirenas. Overall the hotel is beautiful. The pool area is very nice and quiet and our room was one of the nicest resort rooms we have stayed in. The hotel and all furnishings seem quite new and well maintained. The location is great on West Bay. It’s in the middle of the beach so you can easily walk around to restaurants and shops. And if you want to go to West End just grab a water taxi on the beach. And for snorkelers it’s amazing. Like others have said you just need to walk to the left when you hit the beach and go all the way down to the wall. You can easily rent snorkeling gear anywhere. I got mine from Henry Morgan for $10 a day. In terms of clientele it’s mainly Italians here, so as the few Canadians there we kind of felt left out of the banter. Apparently most Canadians stay at HM. We went with Sunwing and Lucie the rep was great. She just saw us at orientation but every time she passed us on the beach she would stop and ask how we were doing. The service/food on the flight was very good as well. In our week there we had 2 days of rainy weather. Besides that it was hot and beautiful.

SERVICE: The service was great by some members of staff and not so good with others. The hotel manager Noelle is amazing. She is always cheerful and asking if we were having a good time. One day I walked into my room in the morning and she was in there managing a couple of maintenance men as they were fixing the blinds in my window. This didn’t bother me at all but she was super apologetic and when we came back to our room in the afternoon she placed a note on our dresser along with a bottle of champagne and fresh fruit platter apologizing for the inconvenience. Now that’s service. But we found the service of the main concierge guy not very good. He’s supposed to help with tours, etc but the couple of times we did encounter him he didn’t ask us if there’s anything we wanted to do on the island or tell us about activities, he just tried to continue to sell us the seafood dinner by the beach all the time. As well when we did tell him we had pre-booked a tour with Victor Bodden he didn’t know what that was and made us feel bad for booking a tour without consulting him first. He was asking questions about how much we paid which I thought was a bit rude and said he usually sits down the clients with a map and marks places to go and helps them rent a car. I said to him well we have an hour before we leave so can you still tell us. And then he said there are maps at reception and I can help myself. Basically he meant we were on our own. As well whenever he talked to us he would stop to answer his cell phone several times during a conversation. I found him arrogant and really just tried to avoid him.

In terms of the wait staff I found sometimes they would smile and say hello and other times they would just grunt when you asked for a drink. As well half the time during meals I didn’t know if I was supposed to go up the bar to ask for a drink if there was table service. I have totally no issue getting my own drinks but it seemed like there is supposed to be table service and sometimes the staff just didn’t feel like doing it which isn’t impressive. The restaurant is not big so they are never that busy. As well when I went to get a drink during non-meals most of the time no one was at the bar so I would have to wait. A few times we even almost gave up and left then someone showed it. Because of this I almost felt awkward getting drinks because I felt like I was putting them out. We are big advocates of tipping and always tip at resorts though we found most people did not. And even though we felt bad we actually stopped tipping halfway through because we felt the service was so bad. Luckily we were able to eat at Henry Morgan for dinners. You just need to reserve at reception 24 hours in advance. The service in the dining room there was night and day. The servers there were friendly, efficient and really tried to make you feel welcome.

FOOD: The food here is ho hum. Yes we always found something to eat and did not go hungry but it was just okay. The selection is very small and I found the meats to be suspect so I rarely ate meat there. When I did it was cold, was sitting in congealed sauce or was overly salty. For breakfast they make fresh omelettes which were tasty and for lunch they had a pasta station. I stuck with these options as they were made in front of me so were always hot. The fruit was always fresh though. And the seasoned rice was good too. The desserts look like leftovers. The dinner at Henry Morgan was way better. The food was much fresher and hot. And the selection was always huge. They would make fresh tortillas in front of you and there was always nice meats at the carving station and lots of salads. I definitely enjoyed my meals at HM. We ate out at a few places and found the food comparable to what we got at the resort so it wasn’t worth paying extra for eating out in Roatan. We ate at Foster’s for $12 lobster night. The lobster was good though overcooked but the sides were not good. Lackluster vegetables, and cold rice and lukewarm boiled not “baked” potato. We also ate at Gio’s in French Harbour and Blue Bahia in Sandy Bay. Both were fine but not great. From our experience we wouldn’t make a point of eating anywhere specific.

LOCATION: West Bay is amazing. I would definitely stay here if going to Roatan. The ocean and beach are beautiful. My boyfriend snorkeled by the wall past Infinity Bay all day and I took my towel and sat on the beach there. I much preferred sitting there instead of right in front of the hotel. The end of the beach is quieter and you feel like you have more space around you. If you need to buy snacks or sunblock there’s the West Bay Mall that’s closeby. It’s just a few stores in a plaza. Definitely take a water taxi to west end for shopping. I didn’t feel safe walking the 45 minutes down the beach so water taxi is a great way of getting there for $3 a person one way. West end is quite rustic with tourist shops and restaurants. If you need to get around to other places reception has a taxi list of prices and can arrange it for you. In terms of cruise crowds. It gets quite busy from around 11-3 from Tues-Fri when the cruise ships are in but we didn’t mind it at all. We found the cruise people amusing and found the vendors interactions with them entertaining. There are vendors on the beach but they only bugged us the first couple of days. As well if you just say no thanks they leave you alone. I found it odd though that the beaches were so quiet at night. We always wondered where everyone went! It would’ve been nice to have a livelier beach at night.

I took probiotic pills but I still got traveler's diarrhea by the third day. Though I took a few immodium that morning immediately once I got sick after a few trips to the washroom and it never reoccurred. So I figure my body just wasn’t used to everything. Mosquitoes and bugs are around. They usually love me so I doused myself in Skintastic spray which only had 7% deet, and put vick’s vaparub on my pulse points. As well I took an aerius allergy pill every day as my bites usually swell up really big. So with all this I was fine. A few bites but nothing crazy. Though we ran out of the Skintastic spray and had to buy Deep Woods Off with 25% deet that’s sold on the island. This stuff is awful and leaves a greasy dripping film over your skin so I only used it sparingly and that’s when I started to get more bites. Stick with lower deet and just use it more often and more of it.

I had a nice time at Las Sirenas but if I were to come back I would stay at Henry Morgan. We found the service, amenities and food at HM were much better. As well there is a nice lobby area where you can sit to have a drink where Las Sirenas doesn’t have this. And during the rainy days we would go to HM to use their games room to play ping pong and it was annoying to not be able to have a drink while we were there.

We’ve been to a few resort destinations and Roatan is probably the best we’ve been too. We love the fact that we weren’t confined to our resort area and we could walk around freely and leave the resort on our own. Other places you definitely wouldn’t feel safe doing this. Though Roatan is expensive for eating out and excursions. I was surprised to find that meals cost the same as they would at home. And there’s tons to do such as seeing dolphins and ziplining but it will cost a lot. I wouldn’t hesitate to come again. Please send me any questions.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank unplainjane
Oakville, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2011

Even though the location is a little more rustic than we are used to it had everything we could have possibly wanted in a holiday. The hotel and room and pool were simple and small but served their purpose. The beach is absolutely amazing. Even better is the snorkeling right off it. The food is pretty basic, small buffet, but good. Had a nice visit to the town of West End by water taxi. Service everywhere was great. I would say the only negative could be the infux of cruise people, they are pain in the butt and can be quite rude! Next time I will make better use of the other HM hotel properties you are allowed to use.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank RodRob55
Hamilton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2011

I have been to quite a few resorts all through the caribbean. Roatan offers the beauty of a 10 plus beach at West Bay, snorkelling off your resort and the friendliness of a small town almost. Las Sirenis was one of the cleanest resorts I have seen. We stayed in a two bedroom suite that was bigger than what we needed, but who complains about too much space? Not me! The food was very good. The temperature of the food could have been warmer in some instances, but really, I'm on vacation and I didn't have to make it. Once you get the idea of a full resort but in a smaller package, you really appreciate the quietness and beauty of this place. If you want busy, you walk down the beach a couple resorts to Henry Morgan party it up there. but the nice thing is you get to return to your hidden Paradise! The staff here are very friendly and are ready to make your vacation the best it can be. I would and probably will return here again soon.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Beachbumm43
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2011

We were moved from the Media Luna Resort and Spa on the opposite side of the island because it was not ready (still under construction). This small boutique resort was very quaint and has a fabulous location on the best beach on the island of Roatan (West Bay).

Because of our circumstance we where given a large one bedroom condo directly on the beach with a huge balcony. We did have the opportunity to check-out the regular rooms and they are very small with no real sitting area. We were very glad to have the condo.

The staff were very friendly and helpful and organized a beautiful Christmas dinner poolside. If you are a vegatarian like myself you won't find too many options at their buffet. I did let them know that I don't eat meat and they did try to accomodate me. The seafood was amazing.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank travellingyogini77
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2010

The beach is beautiful, the rooms are really nice except for the small beds, full instead of queen size. The water, pool and ocean is always warm, the food was mixed everyday and the drinks were included also. The Staff was always cheerful and very helpfull. I would recommend to anyone wanted a relaxing vacation.

Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort
Paradise Beach Hotel
Paradise Beach Hotel
#5 of 14 in West Bay

Been to Las Sirenas Hotel & Condos? Share your experiences!