“Great Dive Trip and Staff”
Review of Anemona Divers

Anemona Divers
Reviewed 8 August 2013

I have been diving for some time. We dive a lot in Mexico, preferably in Cozumel, but have also been to the Caymans several times, Curacao, Puerto Rico, Belize and other places. This was our third time to Roatan. We stayed at Foster's the first time and dove with Anemona Divers. We came back to Roatan two more times staying at Infinity Bay and all three times dove with Anemona. Maria remembers us every time we come back. The dive staff are a great bunch of people. We dove with Patrick and Denisse. I thought they were both very attentive to all the divers in our group. The most divers we had on a boat at one time was about eight or nine and we were split into two groups . Maria and Patrick took care of our gear everyday rinsing and storing it for us and picking us up at Ininity Bay every morning. They told us if we were going to take a day off that we should do it the day the Cruise ships come in because it gets pretty crowded on that day. My brother and some friends went a couple of weeks earlier and ended up diving with Anemona and loved them. We are all planning on going back next June and I will definitely dive with Anemona.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Reviewed 5 August 2013

I dove here in July with my boyfriend.The divemasters were all very friendly and helpful. It was my first time diving since receiving my open water in June. Had a bouyancy issue (first time in salt water) and Maria was so patient with me and fixed the problem immediately.

1  Thank Brook813
Reviewed 2 August 2013

I have been diving for over 40 years. I have gone diving with operators in the Caribbean, Bahamas, Turks & Caicos, Cayman, Australia, Truk Lagoon, Fiji, Tahiti, Papua New Guinea, Red Sea, Florida, The Keys, St. Lucia, and many other places.

I have never seen such a poorly ran, and non-existent management operation in my over 5,000 dives. The owner did not care that their dive compressor did not work. She did not care that we asked for Nitrox, but couldn't provide it even though their website says they have it, and then blew it off, saying all the dives are shallow, yet we dove many 80-85ft profiles. The operation is in a shambles and the only people that even acted like they cared were the boat captains, Martin and Heather.

We had the same o-ring problem as another reviewer, and all the employees complained that the owner did nothing to maintain gear. One motor on the twin engine boat barely ran, and the captain had to constantly mess with it to get it to even start.

I do have to say that west Bay is a lovely place to visit and dive, Las Rocas was awesome, Bananarama was awesome, Fosters was great. But if I come back, I will choose Las Rocas or Bananarama over Anemona. Both are much much better operations. If you are looking for a pure dive operation I recommend Anthony's Key Dive Resort.

AnemonaDivers, Gerente at Anemona Divers, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2013

Good evening Joe, nice to greet you.
First of all I have to admit I was not working at the dive center when you visited us in April. Actually, all the staff has changed since then, except for Marco (Martin) one of the boat captains. So having said that, I would like to clear some points.

I know that from a far, running a dive operation might not seem like a very hard job. Its just diving, right? But there is a lot more to it. Specially when it comes to maintaining the gear, the compressors and the boats. Now, don't get me wrong, we embrace this as part of our job, but you have to understand that all our equipment is in constant use and sometimes, we do have problems. Nothing we cannot fix on the go if you let us know. For example; if the compressor breaks (it happens!) we just borrow tanks from another dive center. Other dive centers do the same with us when it happens to them. As long as you get the air in the tanks, you don't even have to notice our compressor is broken. Or if one of the regulators is leaking, or one of the membranes is torn, we ALWAYS carry spare equipment on our boats so that nobody misses a dive because of this reason. Its just a matter of letting the Divemaster in charge know about it. Our boats have two 250 hp 4 stroke engines each and as you might or might not know, they are very delicate electric engines, which have a lot of cables that might corrode because of the salt. That's why we have TWO engines in each boat. In case one momentarily fails, we can use the other one. All our dive sites are pretty close to us. Its not necessary to use the two engines. Let me be very clear though; our compressor, our gear and our boats get constant servicing and, if needed, their parts are replaced constantly. We invest a lot of money in that. But sometimes, only sometimes, our costumers will notice that they need replacement. And we would love that not to happen, but saddly it does.

Just for you to know, from our new staff, one of the instructors is an equipment specialist and we instructed our two current boat captains in the 4 stroke maintenance. So everything is getting serviced often and thoroughly. About the Nitrox, there is only two dive centers in the whole island that fill up Nitrox tanks. That doesn't mean we don't provide Nitrox service. We do provide it. We just like our costumers to let us know in advance, that way we can get them beforehand and have them available.

Finally, I want to say sorry on behalf of the whole Anemona Divers team for your bad experience and hopefully you decide to come back and give us another opportunity.

Have a nice day.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

Very convenient location on West Bay and the staff is very friendly. Also, they take the time to make your dive as safe and enjoyable as possible.

1  Thank AaronNorthTampa
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I chose Anemona Divers last March based on some good reviews on Trip Advisor, so I feel I need to share my experience since it couldn't have been worse. I have been a diver for over 30 years and I have never dove with a company that had such a disregard for safety. The rental equipment we looked over the day of our arrival had disappeared the next morning to the cruise ship divers and what was left was crap. We were told there would only be 2 other divers joining our group of 3. It turned out there were 9. Tanks were lacking O-rings, dive briefings did not follow the actual dives or profiles, TOO many divers for 1 divemaster. I was at the back of the group of 12 most of the time and could barely see the divemaster who was flying down the reef, pointing out nothing, never signaling for any of the divers' air consumption, oblivious to one of the diver's malfunctioning rental BC with a stuck fill button...I could go on, but I think the picture is pretty clear. We ended up doing a current dive which was fine, but never part of the dive briefing which tells me we were probably at the wrong site. I explained to the manager what a horrific experience we had and reluctantly agreed to go out again with them--they wanted another chance. It was somewhat better and the new divemaster really tried, but was still unclear as to what dive site we were at and was really not familiar with the reef and I am sure there was a lot more to see than we saw. I was told afterward by one couple that the divemaster left them alone under the water with out telling them she was going back to the boat. When they surfaced, there was no boat, no divemaster, so they started swimming toward shore. They were picked up about 15 minutes later by the boat with the divemaster saying the other couple wanted to go back to shore and she thought they would be back before the couple surfaced. I later learned that none of the dive masters were from Roatan or native to the area. Roatan is a great place to dive--just choose your dive shop carefully! I am going back to the Chap Book for my research...

1  Thank TucsonLindaAZ
AnemonaDivers, Gerente at Anemona Divers, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2013

Hi Linda. First of all, we are very, very sorry you had such a bad experience while diving with us. Me and the owner just finished a meeting that had your review as main subject, mainly beacuse it surprised us.
We were checking our database and indeed you and other two divers came diving with us on march this year. The day you mention was a pretty busy day because there was a cruise ship on the island and those days are known to be hectic. We know that doesn't mend the fact that you had a bad experience and for that we are sorry.
During this meeting we just had we realized a couple of things that do not match your statement. One of them is the fact that on that day, there were 9 people diving, not 12 as you mention. We checked our boatlist, and there is no mistake. There were 9 people counting you guys. We know its not the ideal number but, like I just said, those days we are usually packed. Another thing that caught our attention is that you and your 2 friends came back for another dive 2 days after that first time, so I guess the experience was not ALL that bad. I mean, would you go back and dive on a placed where your safety was jeopardized? I know I wouldn't. The part about the couple you say were left on the surface for 15 minutes by the boat captain and the divemaster we have absolutely no record and let me assure you that if something like that happens, not only the divers themselves would've written a bad review but would've probably made a riot. And from that day, the only unsatisfied diver is you. Cruise ships are the first to let us know if they gave a semi frowny customer.
We know that diving with a lot of people is not the best, that's why we changed our policy when it comes to packed cruise ship days (and any kind of day for that matter). We now ask our regular customers (the ones staying in the island) to do their dives in the afternoon on the cruise ship days, that way the crazyness is over by the time they come in.

About that divemaster, we know who you are talking about and we apologize. He was working with us only for 2 weeks because of the same issues you point out. Managing has changes since then too, just check all the good comments we have since you visited :)

Finally, I have a question for you Linda. If you were so disappointed at our operation, why would you wait almost 5 months to write such a review?

Please, if you have any comments, we are very interested in reading them.