“A wonderful spot”

Las Rocas Resort & Dive Center
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
Reviewed 23 December 2013

We spent a week of snorkeling and diving. The resort is in a fantastic location. The staff is very friendly and helped us out in booking tours and other activities that we want to try. The diving center is on the premises and all you need to do is sign up on the board and go diving. The center is located only few hundred yards from some of the most pristine snorkeling places. There is an abundance of restaurants near by and the one that is connected with the center, beside serving good food, has a great Moire Eel show every night. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Las Rocas Resort & Dive Center

Reviewed 19 December 2013

We stayed at Las Rocas for two weeks and could not have been happier. Our room, the Maddelena, probably had the best view of all (overlooks the water and beach). It comes with a fridge but no tv at this time. It was spacious and the bed was comfortable. They provide daily maid service and will adjust their cleaning schedule to fit your habits, i.e., we usually asked them to clean the room while I was diving. A big plus is the friendliness of the people and their ability to make you feel at home. A mini-mart if close by and a larger shopping district is within walking distance, about a mile away.

The diving was very good and our dive master seemed skilled and conscientious. He kept watch of everyone's remaining tank pressure and we generally had very good dives and no miscues.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 December 2013

I went to Roatan to experience scuba diving and get certified (PADI Open Water and Advanced Open Water).
I chose Las Rocas because it seemed the best and most reasonably priced hotel of what is supposed to be the best area to stay on the island. It is in a very tranquil location. I'm not a beach girl so the fact that that you are on the sea but not ON the beach was a plus! But if you do want to go to the beach it's only really a two minute walk from the property.

The setting is great: right on the water, next to all the West Bay hotels, restaurants and beach but very well screened from it all.
(it seems it has been misplaced on the Tripadvisor map, it looks to me it is a bit futher north)

I had a wonderful time!
The staff is lovely and the general atmosphere is that of a big family.
That's one thing that makes this place special after the location.

The other thing is the food!
I spent two weeks there and I had a full meal plan so I can tell you I tried quite a few things on the menu! I was impressed with the mix of Hondurean and Italian recipes and the ability of the chefs. The fish is very good (lobster!) but the biggest surprise was the sausage pasta!! Excellent! And I'm Italian so trust me!!
Also, the restaurant staff went out of their way to accommodate all of my spoiled-brat requests!
I really don't know how to praise enough all the boys at the bar and all the ladies in the kitchen.

Bungalow: I slept like a log.
Yes it is true that if you're on the bottom floor of a two storey bungalow you hear quite a bit of noise from above but unless you're unlucky and you get some riotous guest (it doesn't seem the kind of place that attracts those) then you're going to be hearing noise for just a few minutes a day.
I found my bed excellent and my room was basic but comfortable, tasteful and good sized. My bathroom was fine and if there were signs of wear they were just normal for a sea side bungalow. NOT the signs of a run-down hotel.
My room and bathroom were all very clean and the maids are truly lovely!

I can tell you of the excellent service as I also tested the patience of Pasquale the manager: he helped me get out of a mess that I brought with me and that did not concern him or his hotel at all!
Here's the story: just before I went to Roatan I got news that my credit card information had been stolen over the internet so it was blocked. I thought that was the end of it but when I was in Roatan my credit card company let me know they needed a faxed police declaration of this theft in order to stop a large amount of money from being taken from my account. I'm not going into further boring details but believe me Pasquale and his staff saved my day and they helped me through this with great patience and by suggesting the best way to avoid spending extra money too!

The dive shop was my second home when I was there and although it is the first dive shop I ever saw in my life I can tell you that, as a beginner, they had a lot of patience with me and always made me feel safe and well taken care of. My two instructors (Dorian and Laura) were lovely and Yanni, Salo and the owner Mirta were always very helpful. The boat captain was also very helpful and attentive.
The fact that there is a decompression chamber and doctor's clinic at a short drive away also makes a diver feel safer!

The dives were amazing!! I was so spoiled by perfect diving conditions I'll never be happy anywhere else!!

I went to Las Rocas alone with my "scuba mission" in mind so I cannot tell you about anything else. I did not do any of the other exploration that would be worth doing, especially inland (there are several parks and a botanical garden on the island, monkeys, iguanas, …).

There is some good birdwatching too. I was being lazy but just from the hotel ground one can see quite a few beautiful birds. The almond trees next to the hotel attract scarlet macaws and I've seen so many yellow-crowned night herons, green herons and great egrets, various woodpeckers, … well you know how the tropics are!

One word of advice that is never repeated enough: use that bug spray! They have an excellent super power one at the reception. Buy it!!
But these bugs did not ruin my holiday!

Oh and about internet: yes you pay for it and paying for anything always hurts but the connection is very good and it works all over the resort. I was skyping all the time!

I HAD A WONDERFUL STAY! THANK YOU LAS ROCAS!
and did I mention: very good value!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank anna g
Reviewed 23 November 2013

One of the best Caribbean vacations we've ever had! Excellent value for the money! Located on a secluded coral outcropping (the rock) at the north end of West Bay. Quick access to West Bay beach, bars, dining, shopping, water taxi's, etc.

Would rate the (superior) rooms as 3.5 stars...clean, comfortable, with queen bed, hide-a-bed/futon, bar fridge, and air conditioner, ....plenty good enough for the wife and I during our 2 week (Oct. 26 - Nov. 9) stay, considering we only used it to sleep at night or cool off during the day.

I give the staff 5 stars for exceptionally friendly service! Always willing to accommodate special requests, offer advice about the island, suggest things to do, and where to find the best deals. It's easy to see they love their jobs.

The restaurant has a limited, medium priced menu compared with other restaurants in the area, but everything we ordered was exceptionally well prepared. You must try their deep fried whole snapper. Their conch balls are the best I've ever tasted!

The Dive Shop seemed to have the best prices for diving / certifications on the island, and their competent, hardworking Divemasters Laura & Dorian, along with boat captain Jose, ensure you experience some of the best dive sites in the western hemisphere.

We will certainly be back, only next time the wife will bring more powerful bug spray for the sand flies, and I'll bring my own Tabasco sauce as there seemed to be a short supply when we visited.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 November 2013 via mobile

My friend and I stayed at Las Rocas for 10 days. So glad we did! The staff was fantastic. Alex, George and Raul are hilarious behind the bar. Meals from the restaurant are delicious, though a bit pricey. The chef was kind enough to accomodate my dietary preferences, and everything still tasted divine.
The diving and snorkeling are unbelievable! Laura was our instructor and was very patient with my lack of experience. Dorian, Salo and Yovanny came with us on some dives and were a blast to have around underwater- while always making sure we were safe.
the rooms were pretty basic but very clean. Definitely didn't spend a lot of time indoors with so much to do!
Again, thank you to the wonderful staff for being so friendly, fun, hard working and knowledgeable! I hope to return. Thanks again Pasquale :)

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 4 November 2013

The staff are wonderful, the rooms are clean, and the best is that it is near West Bay without being right on West Bay (easy walk on the beach). Very good value considering the other prices in the neighborhood

Room Tip: if you are more than one person take the upgrade
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 November 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed there for 5 days the first four days were great really nice people and good service. The only problem that ruined our trip was our last night in the privacy of our room during sexual activity the resorts security guard was watching threw the window at 10pm and we had no idea how long he was there. I had to chase after him as he ran behind the buildings tell I caught him. I then spoke to the owner and he then told he that he would be terminated. But who knows if he kept his word. That little incident ruined our trip.

• Stayed: November 2013
3  Thank Shilohrd
lasrocasroatan, Owner at Las Rocas Resort & Dive Center, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2013

Hi and thanks for your review. I am very sorry for the incident about our security guard. There are no excuses for his acts, we just can't accept this kind of behavior. He's been fired and he's been reported toward the authority.
Please accept our apologies, we hope you will still consider coming back to Roatan.
Pasquale