Las Rocas Resort & Dive Center
Foster's West Bay(West Bay)(Great Value!)
US$125
US$120
US$750
West Bay Lodge and Spa(West Bay)(Great Value!)
US$161
US$145
US$458
US$253
  • Breakfast included
Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort(West Bay)(Great Value!)
US$260
US$234
US$314
US$304
Paradise Beach Hotel(West Bay)(Great Value!)
US$180
US$174
US$852
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
All reviewssuperior bungalowwest endmain beachlobster burritowater taxishort walkboat captainhot dishrestaurant baryogurttwo storysand fleasplunge poolfoot trafficlaid backbug sprayopen water certification
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Just returned from a week at Las Rocas with my wife and three (young adult) daughters. We dove and ate at the resort for 7 days and it was a great introduction to Roatan. The staff were fantastic - especially Winston and Edgar in the bar - and they all went out of their way to do everything to make our stay more comfortable. The food at the restaurant was delicious and there was enough variety to cover us as we chose the meal plan to save some $. Fantastic lobster, shrimp, snapper and sea bass and the Italian flair made for some memorable meals. Plus Las Rocas' location on a quiet point at the West end of West Bay meant that a lot of folks from other resorts came to hang out, eat and/or have a drink. Dive staff was sharp and put up with five of us for six active days of diving. The boat goes out for three one-tank dives a day, which was perfect when my kids wanted to take a dive off and catch some sun. Our two story bungalow had recently been renovated and was small but comfortable although it would have worked better for four instead of five. Overall a great week as the food and staff definitely exceeded our expectations. The only negatives are that the wifi speed is achingly slow and the overhaning vegetation made it nearly impossible to see the ocean even though our bungalow was only about 100ft from the water. Small negatives really and I would recommend a visit if you are looking for a relative bargain and a nice quiet time.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I took the open water diving course with Nick Lakoff here this November and had an incredible time. Great instructor, great facility, everyone was very kind and patient. Despite substandard conditions (rain, wind, etc) we managed to safely get all of my dives in to become certified. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 December 2013

In planning my solo trip to Honduras I knew I wanted my last days to be relaxed. I decided to go to Roatan, one of Honduras's coral reef barrier islands and found Las Rocas Resort and Dive Center. I am not a diver but I liked the reviews of the resort so I booked 4 nights for the final days of my trip and it was very happy with my choice!

My room was a 2 floor cottage that could have easily slept 6 people with a deck and hammock on each floor. A pleasant walk from my cottage through a nicely landscaped courtyard, only a few yards from the beach, was the bar and restaurant providing great food, drinks and service. I liked it so much I ate there every meal although there were many nearby options for food.

The resort is small enough so that you do not get lost in the shuffle but with all the amenities of the much larger hotels on West Beach. If you do not dive, Las Rocas Dive Center offers several snorkeling adventures.

The location is perfect as it is at the end of West Beach and it is a short water taxi ride to visit West End. If you are there when the cruise ships come in, you'll feel twice as fortunate because of Las Rocas location being at the end of the beach.

I am 55 and there was a younger crowd in Roatan then I had previously experienced during my trip, I enjoyed the energy tremendously. I felt very safe there and often times didn't even lock my doors.

Room Tip: Try to book the one of the 2 story cottages but keep in mind that the bathroom is downstairs!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 December 2013

This was our first trip to Roatan (young couple, adventurous but non-divers), and the agency we booked through lodged us at Las Rocas. Here's our experience:

STAFF: Christina and staff are wonderful. Very friendly, professional, and patient with our (many!) questions, and when we needed to get out increments of our cash from the central safe. Housekeeping was very accommodating, brought extra pillows and restocked the mini-fridge with goodies each day. A new towel animal and hibiscus flowers awaited us each time they visited. Dive staff was super helpful with any questions we had about pricing and trips. We were able to just add staff tips to our hotel bill via credit card - also handy.

ACCOMMODATIONS: Resort was tidy and sweet, fenced in with a nightly security watch. Towels/bedding/rooms were freshened daily. The resort's bungalow rooms are a budget/value option priced a bit lower than what we saw on the rest of the island. They are appointed with basic amenities, and nice air conditioning. We stayed in a value bungalow on the first floor - they're two stories with one guest room/bath on each floor. Given the opportunity to do it over, we would have definitely requested the top floor of a bungalow (good views, no overhead foot traffic noise, less humidity inside) or paid the bit more to upgrade to a superior bungalow, since it seems like they have nicer bathrooms and newer furniture, and they're independent one-story bungalows (if you are looking for luxury/higher end lodging, these are more rustic lodgings). Either way, we had no complaints being steps away from the water and had what we needed!

BREAKFASTS/BAR/RESORT FOOD: Breakfast also included in agency booking cost. 8-10 AM each day. Great to roll out of bed and hit the Adirondack chairs on the deck for coffee, fresh fruits, pastries, and a surprise "hot plate" each day (eggs/toast/peppers, french toast/eggs/sausages, and Christmas morning, traditional fare - beans, plantains, sausage, etc). We did not try the bar for other meals (light snacks throughout the day then nearby Beachers late-night for most dinners since Las Rocas bar closes at 9-10), but we did grab beers and mixed drinks, which were great. Don't forget 2-for-1 happy hour. Also, the rooms have mini fridges with bottled liters of water, candy bars, Pringles, chili peanuts, beers, and soft drinks, all $1-2/each. These snacks were awesome to grab and go, and they just tally it on your end bill upon checkout.

CONNECTIVITY: There's a desktop computer with free internet connection in the lobby. We didn't opt for wi-fi and just checked email in the evenings while at dinner - most West Bay restaurants have wi-fi free of charge. Cute little book exchange and DVDs are $1/each to rent if you need your movie fix and bring a laptop. Our room didn't have a tv, but we didn't miss it! The front desk was very accommodating of folks who needed to make a local call (and happily translated for guests, too). The front desk also has odds and ends - rum, toothpaste, and bug spray - which dear lord you will need, with Roatan's infamous sand flies.

TRANSFERS from Airport: Flawless, and cost included in agency booking. A driver met us as soon as our flight landed, and the staff already had flight-time notes of when to have a driver pick us up for the return trip.

NEARBY: Las Rocas is a 1 minute walk onto West Bay Beach (without sitting directly on it, being a little secluded was awesome) to the left. We headed to this beach and met a local lady who toured us around the island ($45/person) and led us to a zip-line spot in Coxen Hole and to her mom's restaurant/house for traditional Machuca dinner. We also negotiated a couple day-tour boat rides from captains on the beach and snorkeled around. Directly to the right of Las Rocas is a quiet stretch of beach and water taxis to West End.

TIPS: Pack bug spray with deet (or heavy Badger Balm, etc) for the sand flies at dusk. ** Bring lots of small bills; change is scarce in West Bay even for USD $20 bills. ** Also feel free to bring a good amount of cash and store it in the resort safe with your passports/IDs - staff keeps a detailed receipt of anything you stores there, and we were able to avoid having to use credit cards all over the place. ** Room keys are on big chunks of wood - tie your key onto a hair elastic and wear on your wrist instead, then re-tie at the end of the week ** Be frank and firm with locals on the beach who will offer massages, jewelry, knick-knacks, sunglasses constantly - a quick "I just bought this no thank you" works wonders (and if you do want it - everyone will haggle a bit). One boy selling jewelry was very persistent and eventually started claiming he was just so hungry - so the bartender had a good laugh when we responded by offering the kid an order of french fries, instead of Lempiras for his shtick. ** Do not buy natural trinkets - conch shells, mahogany boxes, sea horses - customs is not a fan and it is evidently quite bad for the local environment ** A little Spanish goes a looong way - everyone appreciated our (sorry) attempt to be respectful and offer a smile and an Hola!

Room Tip: Ask for the top-floor of the two-story bungalows or upgrade to a superior bungalow!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jess and Chad R
Reviewed 28 December 2013

My boyfriend and I spent 7 wonderful days at Las Rocas. The location is PERFECT! If you want quiet, secluded and romantic, this spot is for you. However, when you want more of a "party" atmosphere, then all you have to do is walk 5+ minutes down the beach and you have some great beach front bars and restaurants with live music and lots of great food.

George and Alex are the resident bartenders and they were awesome! Always ready to make us whatever drinks we desired with great smiles and genuine conversation. They offered insider tips and always remembered our names.

The front desk/reception staff was always accommodating. They made reservations for us at restaurants, booked tours and there is free internet use with their computer in the lobby area.

We had the Panarea bungalow and it was amazing! Nothing blocking our view. The ocean just steps away. The maids were always pleasant and left beautiful flower arrangements on our bed every day. My advice regarding the room is to bring your own pillow. (But I am also very picky about mine anyway.) The beds are not overly comfortable, however they are perfectly acceptable and how much time do you really want to spend sleeping anyway when you're in such a beautiful place?! Note: there is not a safe in the room. The reception staff will take your passports and any other valuable items and place them in an envelope in the safe in the owner's office if you like. We did this with our passports and wallets. However, we had a lot of cash as well as cameras, cell phones, etc.that we kept in our room and we never had anything stolen. Just use common sense. Keep things out of plain sight. Theft can and does happen anywhere, so why tempt someone by leaving your valuables out? However, I can honestly say that we didn't have anything stolen and again we kept all of our cash and electronics in the room.

If you are a diver, this is the place for you! My boyfriend was already certified before our trip, however due to some unfortunate circumstances, my certification was not completed before we left. I was very disappointed, thinking I would not be able to dive. However, Mirta was so accommodating and helped me contact my dive shop back in the states to make arrangements for me to finish my certification while there. As it turned out, I couldn't do it anyway because of requirements, but Mirta still made sure that I got to dive. She set me up with Laura and Dorian who were so patient and encouraging, and I had the most amazing first time diving experience ever! The water is so clear and warm and there is no shortage of incredible sea life.

Even if you just want to snorkel, I highly recommend it. Less than 10 minutes down the beach is an amazing spot called Black Rock. (This is actually a dive spot - we went diving there one of the days.) You leave your flip flops in the sand, put on your fins and mask and walk into the ocean. Swim a few feet out and you are literally right over the top of this magnificent place. Note: there will be locals trying to sell you a snorkel package. Don't fall for it. All you need to do is rent your snorkel gear from Las Rocas for a few dollars and walk down the beach to this spot. You won't get snorkeling anywhere that is better than this place and you can swim to it from the beach. No need to pay someone $30 to take you in a boat somewhere else.

Highly recommend: Go ziplining at Gumbalina Park. Book it through the front desk/reception. And pay the extra $10 per person to go through the wildlife refuge at the end. You can take all the time you want. You have your own guide. And you get to hold monkeys and macaws. It's not a zoo, but a refuge and the experience is well worth the money.

Also, ask the front desk about the "all-you-can-eat Lobster tails" at Celeste's. (On Wednesday nights only.) They will call and make a reservation for you. The owner of the restaurant came and picked us up (for free) and the meal was exquisite. Barbequed lobster tails (and yes it really is all you can eat) served with melted butter and garlic, a beautiful salad, potato and vegetables - all that for only $25. Plus they have a nice wine selection.

All in all, Las Rocas and the staff are wonderful and we had an unforgettable experience! We cannot wait to return!

Room Tip: Ask for the Panarea bungalow
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple