“First time @ Las Rocas”

Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“First time @ Las Rocas”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I found this resort and it's surroundings to be very homey and comfortable...quaint/quiet/small and convenient. Security 24/7....The convenience and quality of dives = awesome. The people equally awesome and friendly. The dive crew : Alex, Laura and Marcos like family! A walk down the beach to West Bay for a little more busy atmosphere had great restaurants and a great snorkel. Not a bad meal in the vicinity: not at Las Rocas..not at the Argentinian Grill nor the Vintage Pearl.....I regret that the resort made little effort to plan a trip to Mary's place for diving...possibly because there wasn't much interest from the other divers as it is a little more expensive...I will stay somewhere closer to Mary's next time I go. The only deterrent to keep me from returning here...and it saddens me...because I love this place...was the extra charge added to my credit card upon check out. I specifically asked via email prior to arrival if there was an extra charge for using a credit card. I was told no. I signed my bill and have a copy for the agreed amount yet when the charge went through it was $34 more. This is not right. Despite discussions with the owner...who insisted it was an extra fee from my credit card company and stated he did not charge me any more than I signed for....(which didn't make sense as then why was the extra charge being paid to Las Rocas and not the credit card company if it was from them??)...I got no where except into a disagreement......my friend also had an extra charge on his credit card but didn't seem as concerned about it. Just not a good way to do business. This was the ONLY reason I gave it a 3 ...otherwise it would have been 4. The only change I would make to the rooms would be to have a small microwave for leftovers. There is a small fridge...a small microwave would fit right on top of it and not be too costly! Loved the hammocks on the porch...

Room Tip: We paid extra for the ocean view. It was worth it.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 29 May 2014

If you've ever done a ski in/ski out resort, this is the equivalent for diving. The boat dock is steps from your bungalow and the dive sites are less than 15min away if that. Helpful, friendly staff and clean rooms made this a wonderful 5day/4night stay for us. There's a free breakfast that starts at 8AM and good dive staff to help with any needs that you have. Dives were normally 6-8 people. Perfect location if you're looking for quiet/calm resort without a hundred people around. If you take a 5-10min walk down the beach, there's other restaurants and bars so you're not confined to just Las Rocas. It's a 15min drive to West End where there's more restaurants, bars, and dive centers if you want to do exploring. Only 2 things that I'd like to mention on the negative side...1) don't rent a scooter. We rented a scooter from a place that the resort recommended, and they were scam artists. We figured it was safe since the hotel booked it, but I guess they didn't realize they were not a good choice. During the night, one or the mirrors on the scooter was mysteriously broken in the parking area. Then the next night, we parked next to another scooter from the same place, and it had both mirrors attached. By morning, both mirrors from that scooter went missing as well. They charged us $70USD to "repair" the mirror. After we paid them, we went to load our luggage and magically, the tail light was 'loose' on the scooter. We politely refused to give them more money and left. I don't remember the name of the place, but if it comes to me, I'll update. 2) If you have back issues, the beds may not be the best for you. They aren't spring or foam mattresses so it's like sleeping on a comfy rock. We didn't mind so much for such a short stay and all the good things about the resort far out-shined the mediocre beds. All in all, I'd stay here again and recommend it to others looking for a great diving experience at a good value.

Room Tip: Stay in the Panarea room if you can. Has a great view and is quiet.
2 Thank CJRL
Hilton Head, SC
Reviewed 26 May 2014

My husband and I rarely return to the same place. We spent a week at Los Rocas in April of 2013 and returned in May 2014 for ten days. There are many reasons for our return...The ENTIRE staff is awesome. The location and simplicity of the resort. The wide variety of good food and drinks at the restaurant. The great dive shop. The feeling of home away from home. All in all a fantastic place to hang your hat, destress and take in the beauty of Roatan.

2 Thank HHISC45
Ventura, California
Reviewed 19 May 2014

My husband and I just returned after spending 10 days at Las Rocas. We had a standard room with a queen bed and a twin bed which we used as a couch. As stated, this is a bargain hotel with all the basics in the room. It was clean and suited our needs. We really enjoyed our patio with a chair, table and hammock in the evenings. The air conditioning worked well and I should say it is a must to have!! The room also included a small refrigerator which they stock with some basic sodas etc., but there is room for you to put a few items in it. We stopped at a grocery store and picked up some water and snacks. But the bottled water at Las Rocas was only $1, soft drinks $1.25; very inexpensive.Staff was very helpful, above and beyond! Maid service is daily. The grounds here are quiet, lots of trees, the little pool is nice for a dip and the restaurant/bar has good food at a reasonable price. There is a happy hour daily from 3-6pm where you can get cocktails 2 for 1(most of them are $5-6) and domestic beer for $2. Breakfast is included in your room rate and being greeted by Winston each morning was great; he is friendly and very knowledgeable. Each day fruit, cereal, yogurt, and some type of bread along with juices and milk are provided and then you also get a hot breakfast plate which is different each day. This place was like staying with family. You get to know the other guests, if you choose to, which we really enjoyed. It is very laid-back here in a nice setting away from the larger resorts. But these resorts and night life are just a short walk down the bay when you want it!!!

Pasqual, one of the owners, is very friendly and made our stay even that much better! We had alittle issue with our air conditioning and he had it fixed that same day.When we were leaving the resort and almost to the airport we realized we left our passport at the resort. In stead of sending staff he came to the airport personally to give to us and see us off. Thank you Pasqual!!

For those who plan to dive: Our experience with the Dive Shop was great! The Dive Masters, Laura and Alex, were great and we enjoyed 5 dives while we were there at a great 5/dive package at $180pp USD. You don't have to worry about large groups of divers as they don't herd you off; we never dove with more than 6 divers. If you choose to use their equipment, which was in good condition, it is only $10/day. So if you do 2 dives in one day its still just $10. Single dives are $40pp. If you don't have a dive camera, buy one you won't regret it!!!

For those who want to snorkel: We snorkeled everyday we didn't dive. We found the best part of the reef to snorkel in West Bay is in front of Infinity Bay Resort and swim straight out past the sand and grass area and you will see the reef. It's at least 25 yrds out there but here you don't have to be concerned with boat traffic. From here work your way to the left going toward the rocky tip of the Bay. Depths very here from a couple of feet to 20-30 ft. I ask if you are not experienced and able to keep your body, and fins, from touching the reef, please don't snorkel here until you get comfortable with snorkeling just off shore!!!! The reef is being destroyed by those who don't follow the rules to protect the reef. We all want future generations to enjoy this beautiful place!!

A note to make your visit more comfortable.
*Bring insect spray if mosquitoes like you,
*Bathroom stuff..the resort provides a small soap and a 2 in 1 shampoo and a hair dryer. Bring your own if you want a nice bar of soap and shampoo and conditioner.
*Bring your own beach towels; the resort provides showering towels only.
I found the bed sheets to be rough. When I return, I will bring my own sheets unless they upgrade them which I would LOVE.
*Bring a hat, the sun is intense or plan to buy one here; they range in price from $10-20. Paying for things:
*Money: Everyone accepts USD and actually prefers it. Bring cash or if you use your credit card you will be charged almost everywhere a 10-15% fee. We know 2 couples who used an ATM in West End and their information was stolen. They told me the ATM at the airport was safe so perhaps get your money there.
*Be aware when you leave Roatan there is a $40pp departure tax everyone is required to pay. *Bring or plan to buy a cool cup. Since it is hot here, drinks warm-up quickly. You can buy one here for $8-10.

Room Tip: I would recommend a stand room or better.
4 Thank ccswimz
McKinney, Texas
Reviewed 9 May 2014

My wife and I loved Las Rocas. It is a small resort at the end of West Bay. I liked that it was very close to the beach, restaurants and activities but not in the middle of the crowds. The service was excellent. We loved the included breakfast. The bungalows are not fancy but clean and the staff does a great job making everything very nice. Each one has it's own porch with a hammock. Also, if you want to go to West End, a water taxi will pick you up on the boat dock on the property and take you there for $3 per person. The dive shop was wonderful with great personal attention. We had 6 to 8 divers on each of our dives. The dive locations are a quick (5 - 10 minute) boat ride away. All the dives were in excellent locations on the reef with plenty to see. We really enjoyed the night dive. I highly recommend this resort for anyone but especially divers. Great location that's close to the action but just out of the way enough to be quiet and relaxing. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kevintexas66
Grayling, Michigan
Reviewed 26 April 2014

The accommodations are definitely modest, but comfortable and adequate. The real reason to come to Las Rocas is the diving and the staff. Alex, Laura and Marcos went out of their way to be sure our diving was wonderful. Winston, Edgar and Raoul are the most amazing waitstaff around.
Chef Isaac kept us eating at Las Rocas nightly. Do pay attention to the sand flea warnings. Spray at dusk. The bites are awful and itch like crazy. It was still a wonderful vacation.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank SandraM1593
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Las Rocas is one of my favorite vacation/dive destinations! This was my third trip to Las Rocas....I didn't think it could get better than my trip last year, but I always seem surprised and delighted at Las Rocas! The staff always outdo themselves making sure you are comfortable and at home. Chef Isaac is a genius - best seabass ever! Alex and Laura are amazing divemaster instructors and made my course experience fun and educational! Mirta and Pasquale - thank you for making me feel like Las Rocas is a home away from home. You are the best, we will definitely continue to come to Las Rocas for our vacations. If you have not been here, a highly recommend you experience it at least once; cause then you are hooked!

Room Tip: Elba, Panaera and Capri are my favorite rooms!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort
Foster's West Bay
Foster's West Bay
#8 of 14 in West Bay

Been to Las Rocas Resort & Dive Center? Share your experiences!