“Roatan Relaxation”

Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Roatan Relaxation”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

This was the most relaxing vacation of my life! It is not located in the busiest area on the beach, so you don't have a lot of unwanted guests, but it is located right next to a long beautiful beach area that you can enjoy all festivities.

2 Thank Future-xpat-Ruth

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I didn't want a five star hotel experience, I wanted simple, modest, clean and sweet and that's exactly what I got. The people at Las Rocas are very nice, the atmosphere is casual and comfortable. Rooms are great, especially the individual porches each has.

There isn't a nice sand beach right off the resort, just rocks, but a large public beach is a two minute walk. I'd have to say the only thing that isn't perfect about this place is that it lacks a private beach to get away from all the hawkers and cruise boats hoards...

Scuba Center is great, I had a refresher coarse after 20 years of not diving and it went very well. Kelvin the divemaster is awesome. The dives are incredible though I have to say the reef looks pretty sad. Not very colorful or vibrant, I guess this is the fate of most reefs.

I was surprised to find that Roatan restaurants get most of their fish from neighboring countries because Honduras is fished out!

All in all a great experience.

Room Tip: Second floor bungalows have a view of the ocean off their porches. I believe there are only about 4...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Carol K
Edmonton
Reviewed 4 June 2014

This is abit overdue, but better late than never. This was our second trip to the beautiful island of Roatan, but first time staying at Las Rocas. My husband and I are celebrating our 25th Wedding Anniversary this June, but wanted to renew our wedding vows while we were in Roatan. Pasquale, was awesome and always very helpful, from the very first email I sent to him (and there was several) with all my questions about the ceremony.

We decided to pay extra and upgrade to the Superior Bungalow, and got the best one, as per Pasquale's promise. We loved our cabana, which was basic, but clean and met all of our needs. When we initially arrived and opened the door the flower decorations done by housekeeping was amazing. We had hibiscus flowers everywhere in all kinds of designs and shapes. They knew this was a special trip for my husband and I and they sure made it so. The view from the porch and hammock was priceless, as the ocean was only several feet away from the cabana (just like the hammock picture on tripadvisor).

Our ceremony took place 5 days after we arrived, and the staff did an amazing job. They set up an arch covered with palm leaves and flowers in a little sandy area overlooking the ocean. The housekeeping girls also made me a bouquet of fresh flowers, which was totally unexpected. Christine, from the front office, knocked on our cabana door about 5 mins. prior to the ceremony and gave it to me. I already had a bouquet that I had brought with me, but I used both bouquets during the ceremony as it was so special that they gave me one as well. The pastor was arranged by Pasquale, and was a really, really nice man, who did a great job. There really wasn't anybody around as the resort was relatively quiet, but once our ceremony ended, the entire restaurant staff clapped and hollered, which was funny. Victor then brought over a bottle of champagne, as well they presented us with a freshly baked cake decorated with fresh flowers, which is something that we had ordered. It was beautiful, and was soooo good. We took it over to the bar area, and then ensured everyone, including the office staff got to enjoy a piece. Our ceremony was just perfect, and will be a day that we will always treasure. We actually hired Tim Blanton and his lovely wife to do our pictures and video, and he did an amazing job, and is very reasonably priced. If you require these types of services for an event, look him up at tim.blanton.com.

My husband and I also came here to dive, dive, dive, and that we did. The DM’s, Alex and Laura, along with Captain, Marcos, are just awesome, and such great people. We enjoyed 5 days of diving and logged a total of 10 dives each. On dive #9 we had the pleasure of seeing a school of spotted eagle rays (6 in total), which is a first for us, as we have never seen a school of them in past dives. On dive #10, we actually got to go out alone with Alex, as no one else had signed up that day. It was great, Alex caught a lionfish and had the kitchen cook it up for us, as we have always wanted to try it, but never had the opportunity. We also got to enjoy another night dive on this trip, which is another reason why we returned to Roatan. The bioluminescence is something that I have never experienced anywhere else in the world diving, and is truly unforgettable. Sparks flying from your fingertips, and glowing sand shooting around you every time you move is truly magical. Then seeing all of the “string of pearls” around you, just like stars in the night sky is an experience I will never forget. I had to keep reminding myself I was diving, so I wouldn’t open my mouth and drop my regulator in awe.

We just had a great time, and loved every day of our stay at Las Rocas. We really enjoyed the laid back, quiet vibe to this resort. We spent many nights on the deck chairs watching the sunset, or playing on the swings while sipping Monkey La La’s at the bar. The fresh salt water dip pool was also another option to just float and relax. The food was also wonderful, and I wish I could get another order of the fish fingers, or lobster burritos right now!!!

We really liked the location of this resort, and if you wanted to experience some other places it was only a short walk over the wooden bridge to get to the main beach which offers a variety of restaurants, bars and other resorts. Make sure to pack a flashlight for these walks in the evening, as there are no lights and the bridge gets covered in crabs that come out at night. We don’t mind them and just wanted to make sure we didn’t kill any by stepping on them at night. Actually lots of sand crabs cruise around the sidewalks in the evening at the resort as well.

All in all, we had another wonderful trip to Roatan. We like to travel to different places all the time, but Roatan is one place we will eventually return to and Las Rocas will be the place we will be staying at. A big THANK YOU again to Pasquale and the entire Las Rocas team for making our 25th Wedding Anniversary so special. As well a big THANK YOU to Alex, Laura and Marco for making this diving trip also very memorable.

Room Tip: If you can splurge and want to have your own little cabana, book a Superior Bungalow.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Livin2Dive
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I found this resort and it's surroundings to be very homey and comfortable...quaint/quiet/small and convenient. Security 24/7....The convenience and quality of dives = awesome. The people equally awesome and friendly. The dive crew : Alex, Laura and Marcos like family! A walk down the beach to West Bay for a little more busy atmosphere had great restaurants and a great snorkel. Not a bad meal in the vicinity: not at Las Rocas..not at the Argentinian Grill nor the Vintage Pearl.....I regret that the resort made little effort to plan a trip to Mary's place for diving...possibly because there wasn't much interest from the other divers as it is a little more expensive...I will stay somewhere closer to Mary's next time I go. The only deterrent to keep me from returning here...and it saddens me...because I love this place...was the extra charge added to my credit card upon check out. I specifically asked via email prior to arrival if there was an extra charge for using a credit card. I was told no. I signed my bill and have a copy for the agreed amount yet when the charge went through it was $34 more. This is not right. Despite discussions with the owner...who insisted it was an extra fee from my credit card company and stated he did not charge me any more than I signed for....(which didn't make sense as then why was the extra charge being paid to Las Rocas and not the credit card company if it was from them??)...I got no where except into a disagreement......my friend also had an extra charge on his credit card but didn't seem as concerned about it. Just not a good way to do business. This was the ONLY reason I gave it a 3 ...otherwise it would have been 4. The only change I would make to the rooms would be to have a small microwave for leftovers. There is a small fridge...a small microwave would fit right on top of it and not be too costly! Loved the hammocks on the porch...

Room Tip: We paid extra for the ocean view. It was worth it.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 29 May 2014

If you've ever done a ski in/ski out resort, this is the equivalent for diving. The boat dock is steps from your bungalow and the dive sites are less than 15min away if that. Helpful, friendly staff and clean rooms made this a wonderful 5day/4night stay for us. There's a free breakfast that starts at 8AM and good dive staff to help with any needs that you have. Dives were normally 6-8 people. Perfect location if you're looking for quiet/calm resort without a hundred people around. If you take a 5-10min walk down the beach, there's other restaurants and bars so you're not confined to just Las Rocas. It's a 15min drive to West End where there's more restaurants, bars, and dive centers if you want to do exploring. Only 2 things that I'd like to mention on the negative side...1) don't rent a scooter. We rented a scooter from a place that the resort recommended, and they were scam artists. We figured it was safe since the hotel booked it, but I guess they didn't realize they were not a good choice. During the night, one or the mirrors on the scooter was mysteriously broken in the parking area. Then the next night, we parked next to another scooter from the same place, and it had both mirrors attached. By morning, both mirrors from that scooter went missing as well. They charged us $70USD to "repair" the mirror. After we paid them, we went to load our luggage and magically, the tail light was 'loose' on the scooter. We politely refused to give them more money and left. I don't remember the name of the place, but if it comes to me, I'll update. 2) If you have back issues, the beds may not be the best for you. They aren't spring or foam mattresses so it's like sleeping on a comfy rock. We didn't mind so much for such a short stay and all the good things about the resort far out-shined the mediocre beds. All in all, I'd stay here again and recommend it to others looking for a great diving experience at a good value.

Room Tip: Stay in the Panarea room if you can. Has a great view and is quiet.
2 Thank CJRL
Hilton Head, SC
Reviewed 26 May 2014

My husband and I rarely return to the same place. We spent a week at Los Rocas in April of 2013 and returned in May 2014 for ten days. There are many reasons for our return...The ENTIRE staff is awesome. The location and simplicity of the resort. The wide variety of good food and drinks at the restaurant. The great dive shop. The feeling of home away from home. All in all a fantastic place to hang your hat, destress and take in the beauty of Roatan.

2 Thank HHISC45
Ventura, California
Reviewed 19 May 2014

My husband and I just returned after spending 10 days at Las Rocas. We had a standard room with a queen bed and a twin bed which we used as a couch. As stated, this is a bargain hotel with all the basics in the room. It was clean and suited our needs. We really enjoyed our patio with a chair, table and hammock in the evenings. The air conditioning worked well and I should say it is a must to have!! The room also included a small refrigerator which they stock with some basic sodas etc., but there is room for you to put a few items in it. We stopped at a grocery store and picked up some water and snacks. But the bottled water at Las Rocas was only $1, soft drinks $1.25; very inexpensive.Staff was very helpful, above and beyond! Maid service is daily. The grounds here are quiet, lots of trees, the little pool is nice for a dip and the restaurant/bar has good food at a reasonable price. There is a happy hour daily from 3-6pm where you can get cocktails 2 for 1(most of them are $5-6) and domestic beer for $2. Breakfast is included in your room rate and being greeted by Winston each morning was great; he is friendly and very knowledgeable. Each day fruit, cereal, yogurt, and some type of bread along with juices and milk are provided and then you also get a hot breakfast plate which is different each day. This place was like staying with family. You get to know the other guests, if you choose to, which we really enjoyed. It is very laid-back here in a nice setting away from the larger resorts. But these resorts and night life are just a short walk down the bay when you want it!!!

Pasqual, one of the owners, is very friendly and made our stay even that much better! We had alittle issue with our air conditioning and he had it fixed that same day.When we were leaving the resort and almost to the airport we realized we left our passport at the resort. In stead of sending staff he came to the airport personally to give to us and see us off. Thank you Pasqual!!

For those who plan to dive: Our experience with the Dive Shop was great! The Dive Masters, Laura and Alex, were great and we enjoyed 5 dives while we were there at a great 5/dive package at $180pp USD. You don't have to worry about large groups of divers as they don't herd you off; we never dove with more than 6 divers. If you choose to use their equipment, which was in good condition, it is only $10/day. So if you do 2 dives in one day its still just $10. Single dives are $40pp. If you don't have a dive camera, buy one you won't regret it!!!

For those who want to snorkel: We snorkeled everyday we didn't dive. We found the best part of the reef to snorkel in West Bay is in front of Infinity Bay Resort and swim straight out past the sand and grass area and you will see the reef. It's at least 25 yrds out there but here you don't have to be concerned with boat traffic. From here work your way to the left going toward the rocky tip of the Bay. Depths very here from a couple of feet to 20-30 ft. I ask if you are not experienced and able to keep your body, and fins, from touching the reef, please don't snorkel here until you get comfortable with snorkeling just off shore!!!! The reef is being destroyed by those who don't follow the rules to protect the reef. We all want future generations to enjoy this beautiful place!!

A note to make your visit more comfortable.
*Bring insect spray if mosquitoes like you,
*Bathroom stuff..the resort provides a small soap and a 2 in 1 shampoo and a hair dryer. Bring your own if you want a nice bar of soap and shampoo and conditioner.
*Bring your own beach towels; the resort provides showering towels only.
I found the bed sheets to be rough. When I return, I will bring my own sheets unless they upgrade them which I would LOVE.
*Bring a hat, the sun is intense or plan to buy one here; they range in price from $10-20. Paying for things:
*Money: Everyone accepts USD and actually prefers it. Bring cash or if you use your credit card you will be charged almost everywhere a 10-15% fee. We know 2 couples who used an ATM in West End and their information was stolen. They told me the ATM at the airport was safe so perhaps get your money there.
*Be aware when you leave Roatan there is a $40pp departure tax everyone is required to pay. *Bring or plan to buy a cool cup. Since it is hot here, drinks warm-up quickly. You can buy one here for $8-10.

Room Tip: I would recommend a stand room or better.
4 Thank ccswimz