“Las Rocas Exceeded our Expectations”

Las Rocas Resort & Dive Center
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
Reviewed 16 April 2006

We spent a wonderful 2 weeks at Las Rocas Resort in February, 2006. We did a lot of research before choosing where to stay on our first trip to Roatan, and we were certainly happy with our choice. Las Rocas exceeded our expectations.

Let me say first that we prefer small, friendly resorts. They need not be luxurious, but they must be clean, comfortable, & tastefully (even if simply)furnished. And most importantly, the food must be good!! Las Rocas was all of these.

The location of Las Rocas, at the end of West Bay Beach and within walking distance of West End village, is perfect. As the name suggests, Las Rocas is built on rocks, overlooking the sea. However the beach is a mere 5 minute walk from the resort. In 15 minutes we could walk to the best snorkel spot on the beach. We walked that beautiful stretch of beach at least twice a day, and agreed that we preferred the relative quiet of our location to the busier, more populated areas where there is a greater concentration of resorts.

Some of our best memories of Las Rocas are of the restaurant!! We did occasionally dine elsewhere, when we were exploring the island, but to be honest, we could happily have eaten every meal at Las Rocas. The food was excellent. Seafood dishes with an Italian flavor, such as seafood linguine (with lobster, shrimps & calamari), shrimps in gorgonzola sauce, and 'Caribbean butterflies' (bowtie pasta with seafood in a coconut cream sauce)are but a few of the succulent evening entrees. At lunch, the fish and the grilled shrimp sandwiches were great, as well as the pizzas (especially the seafood pizza).

Not to be forgotten of course is the bar, where we enjoyed many a happy hour and many a Margarita - thanks to our buddy Mike, who makes the best Margarita I've ever had!

Even breakfasts, which were included in the cost of our accommodation, were varied and good (juices, fresh fruit salad, pastries and a hot dish, such as scrambled eggs Honduran style).

Most importantly, we have nothing but good to say about the staff at Las Rocas! From the owners to the cleaning staff - all were exceptional. They always had a friendly smile and went out of the way to make our stay enjoyable.

There are some improvements that could be made at Las Rocas. For example, the towels need replacing - although always clean, some are getting ragged. And some of the chairs in the restaurant should be replaced, for the sake of comfort. None of these things lessened our enjoyment of the resort however.

If we go back to Roatan, and I hope we do, we would not hesitate to stay again at Las Rocas. I suppose that says it all.

Stayed: February 2006
13  Thank Living2Travel

Vancouver , Canada
Reviewed 7 April 2006

I am not that guy who can not be pleased. I choose this resort because of the ratings on this board. There are some facts I feel I need to report.

Let me just stat some facts you need to keep in mind.

1. The staff is overworked and under paid. The owners pay them the same amount ever month no matter how many hours they work. You learn of some sad stories from some of the people that work there.

2. It took us 4 hours after we landed until we got to the resort. They made us wait over a hour at the airport for some mystery guest that never showed up. Thrn we went 1/2 hour out of the way to drop off an emploee at there home. By the time we got there it was late and there was no place to get something to eat.

3.Breakfest [--] ! No way around it.

4. Our group had to get together at night and elect a leader to go to the dive shop and tell them to take us on the good dives. The lady Merna could give a crap if you are having a good time diving. They take you to the closest site and try to get you in and out quick.

5. The dive boats are small. You have to jam in the back of the boat and suck gas fumes so the waves do not come over the bow.

6. John the divemaster is burned out and only cares about taking photos. He hates getting in the water. He does take the best under water shoots i have ever seen.

7. The beds are hard as rocks ! I had to put my jeans on to get some padding.

8. If the hotel gets a taxi for you you over pay three times then if you were to get one yourself.

9. The location is almost perfect.

10. We did meet some great people. 2 out of the 10 dives we did were among the best I have ever had.

11. I do like Roatan and look forward to going back. I would go to Fantasy Island. The PADI trvel site has smokoing deals.

12. They scam you on the night dive you pay for in your package. I still have not ever come across anyone who got theirs.The dive masters do not want to stick around or come back to do a night dive.

13. I think the food [--] on the whole island. Same as other islands I have been on.

14. Internet is so slow it taks 10 min to send one e mail. The keyboard sucks !

15. No hot water sometimes warm water presure is hit or miss. Not a big deal.

16. The sheets get sandy because of the dirty floor. i had to beg them to change my sheets once during the week.

17. Marna the dive shop chick can not be trusted. She put a bunch of crap on my bill I had to get taken off when I checked out.

18.The price is good. I think PURA VIDA is cheaper and a much better value. I would do Fanasy Island or on the high end A.K.R.

Dive Deep !

I did have a hell of a week. I just dont think Los Racas had much to do with it.

• Stayed: April 2006
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Burlington, VT
Reviewed 5 April 2006

My sister and I stayed at Las Rocas for 5 days and it was great! Our room wasn't the best (upstairs and mostly view of roofs, but still could see the ocean), but we booked last minute, so what could we expect? Most of the rooms have good views and we weren't in the room very much anyway. Dive shop was great. All the people working there were very friendly. Food was good, but slow - typical island style. Location is perfect - West Bay Beach very close, great snorkeling from the beach, walk to West End. Awesome sunsets.
I have 3 small complaints: 1 - music at the bar was loud and choice of bartenders - not appealing to most of the guests. 2 - It would be nice if there were some more chairs and maybe some spots in the shade, but there isn't much area for that anyway. 3 - maybe it was because we were in an upstairs room, but there were times when we didn't have any water (or just a trickle), but if we waited 15 min or so it seemed to come back and then the water pressure was fine.

I would highly recommend Las Rocas to anyone. It's not a high end resort, but I like to have a little local flare. It's small and friendly. I much prefer that to a big resort hotel. Rooms were clean, prices are good, great location. Office personnel were very helpful. Loved it!

• Stayed: March 2006
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 9 March 2006

What a great very small resort. Staff are all multi lingual, and very friendly and helpful. The rooms are tidy and clean. The view from the balcony is of the sea. The food at dinner is excellent and cheap. Dive centre are extremely helpful and proffessional. Go there and enjoy. I have never been to the same country twice, but I would go back to Las rocas without any hesitation.

3  Thank ohayo1
Fairfield, CT
Reviewed 27 February 2006

We just got back from a week at Las Rocas and, although we had a great vacation, my wife and I are pretty sure we could have found better accommodations.

There was certainly much to like about Las Rocas so we will start there. The pick up at the airport went very smoothly. We had a very enjoyable ride back to the hotel until the unbelievable pot holes just outside the resort almost ripped our car apart. Alas, we made it through and check in was a breeze.

The restaurant and bar were great. The food was fantastic and the service was very good. It does take a very long time to get your food, but that seemed to be the norm around the island. Mike at the bar mixed great drinks until the blender broke (apparently it is very difficult to replace a kitchen appliance on Roatan).

The location is also quite nice. It is right on the end of Beautiful West Bay Beach and a 30 min walk to west end village. The sun sets at Las Rocas were the best. We felt very safe and comfortable hanging out at Las Rocas.

The Diving was also very good. Everyone on the dive staff, from all accounts, were great. All were easy going and careful. The shop couldn’t be anymore convenient unless it was on the dock. They even loaned me some fins for snorkeling (no charge).

Finally, the size of the resort is perfect. To see some of the same people for diving and happy hour made for some very good times.

Ok, now for the bad. First of all, the woman at the service desk knew nothing and was perhaps the most unhelpful person we meet all week. Even after I corrected a billing mistake (we were not charged for our diving), no “thank you” was offered.

Our room was very small, with a very uncomfortable bed. They only had 2 pillows, the towels were old and ratty, and the water pressure was inconsistent (at times the worst shower ever!!) Although some cabins had great views, ours was tucked behind other cabins and didn’t have the “partial ocean view” we were promised. The sewage smell was also pretty bad at times but not nearly as bad as the construction which began at 7:00 in the morning…every morning (not the fault of Las Rocas).

Also, the resort sits on rocks (thus the name) and the nicest part of the beach is a 15 min walk. (Don’t go on a cruise ship day!!!) Because hanging out to get some sun at the resort was not the greatest, with people walking through and loud music being played at the restaurant, I thought the resort could have a couple of beach chairs to loan out or even some beach towels to make the beach a little more comfortable.

Well that’s it. In short, we would go back to Roatan in a second, but we would search for a different hotel. We had a tour of Luna Beach and it looked great!!

• Stayed: February 2006
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 17 February 2006

Just got back from our first trip to Roatan, and we had a wonderful experience. Las Rocas was a great place to stay. It's situated right next to West Bay, and has a gorgeous view.

I loved having the ability to check email several times per day. The office is next to the dive center, and for $10 a week you can use the internet as much as you want. My sister was in the hospital, so that was huge plus for me.

The breakfasts were, well, okay. They offer fresh fruit every day, and that was wonderful. The restaurant opens at 8, so if you are going to be diving, get there at 7:45 and be ready to order immediately.

There are two precious cats. I know this may seem like an insignificant detail, but trust me they are really sweet. Even the guys who didn't like cats were petting them by the end of the week. For the record, the black and white one is named Tim (but we called him "Smiley", because he looks like he's smiling) and the orange and white cat is named "Rocas". We too were shameless about feeding them lots of goodies. We even let them come hang with us in our cabin.

The one thing I would say that wasn't great was the mattress on the bed. It wasn't great. Okay, okay, it was pretty bad. On the second day, I asked for an extra pillow that I threw my leg over as I slept and I was much more comfortable.

Here's a plus that I didn't expect. We met a group of amazing people while we were there. It's a small hotel, and so you see the guests all week long. Now, if you'd have asked me a month ago if I would be spending my first vacation in 1 1/2 years without my kids with a group of strangers, I would've laughed. Think back to summer camp. There is a bond of friendship that is created by sharing all of the beauty of the island. I think that our experience is probably something others have also shared at Las Rocas.

About the diving, I would highly recommend the dive center. Merta, the owner, is a doll. A few of us wanted to do some wreck dives, etc., and she graciously changed the dives so that she fulfilled our requests. Also, she arranged a trip for us to Utila that was awesome. The divemasters are wonderful. Jon took some really beautiful pictures that will be a family treasure. I can't say enough about the wonderful folks at the dive shop. My husband and had a wonderful time, and that was do in large part to the staff at the dive shop.

Oh, one more thing, about half of the people who were staying at Las Rocas weren't divers. So, even if you only snorkel there will be lots for you to do. We will definitely be back.

grantsmommy

• Stayed: February 2006
13  Thank grantsmommy
Nassau Bay, Texas
Reviewed 1 January 2006

Hola, Everyone!!!

We had a fabulous time at this wonderful place, Las Rocas. Since it is family owned, it has a more warm feel and the staff pays attention to all of the details. The cabanas were wonderful and they come complete with 2 wonderful loveable cats, that socialize with all of the guests. We named our kitty, Senior Gato. We fed him all of our left-overs, lobster, grouper, red snapper, only the finest for him.

The view from the cabanas was fabulous. The ocean was right there and a great beach! You could snorkel right off of the beach and see wonderful sealife.

The diving center was excellent. Either if you are looking to be certified or are already certified, they are most certainly the place to dive with.

The breakfast served every morning was great, especially the Honduran Coffee. The dinners were excellent. The best quality and price in town. The entire staff made our stay so great and we look forward to going back soon!
>Happy New Year!
>JoAnne & Bill Harris : )
>Nassau Bay, Texas

Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort
Paradise Beach Hotel
Paradise Beach Hotel
#4 of 14 in West Bay

Been to Las Rocas Resort & Dive Center? Share your experiences!