“This resort has it all!”

Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
Reviewed 8 May 2012

Everything is beautiful, from the cozy cabanas nestled in lush tropical greenery to the white sand & turquoise water beach! The staff are all very friendly, responsive, & knowledgeable. There are many activities to choose from, including dives along the world's 2nd largest natural coral reef guided by experienced SCUBA professionals. The food and drinks are excellent and affordable, with specials that change daily, including 2 for 1 tropical drinks, $1 hot dogs on Sundays, and 2 for 1 brick-oven pizza on Monday --how do you beat that!? Lots of people scrape up their savings just to get to their favorite vacation spot, so it's great that once you get to Bananarama you don't have to spend a ton of money on food as well.

The live music is great to listen to & the band members clearly enjoy what they're doing! On Sunday evenings there is a crab race to fund-raise for Familias Saludables -a worthy charitable organization on the island that helps fight A.I.D.S. The crab races are a lot of fun & the winner receives great prizes like a $20 bar tab or a Bananarama t-shirt! I appreciate that the resort is willing to host this fundraiser because it supports a very important cause and shows they have a social conscience. I believe in companies like that. In addition, Bananarama is eco-friendly! After the crab races, there is a mesmerizing fire show on the beach.

Bananarama is my new favorite vacation spot & I am looking forward to returning year after year. It's beautiful, fun, friendly, & safe -security staff are always on duty. And especially during the slow season, the resort offers amazing discounted vacation packages.

~Frank S. -Buffalo, N.Y.

Room Tip: Always book your vacation as far in advance as possible to ensure the best selection.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Frank S
Write a ReviewReviews (1,292)

Reviewed 8 May 2012

The dive shop and staff were awesome. We dove with Mal, Marco, Sofia, Martin, Kristian and Doreen and they were all professional, super-relaxed and knowledgeable divers. Make sure you do the night dive by the way.

Awesome beach side bar. Great relaxed atmosphere. Friendly, awesome staff especially Jessica and the guys behind the bar.

I would definitely go back to Bananarama again :)

Room Tip: Dive 3 times a day and you'll sleep great anywhere. The rooms were great though. The bed was re...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 May 2012

But there was a terrible sewage smell that pervaded my olfactory senses morning noon and night. I don't know if it was just a bad time of year or whether they were dealing with a plumbing problem during my stay, but that is unfortunately the first thing that comes to mind when I think about Banarama Beach and Dive Resort.

The grounds were well kept, and beautiful. The room (12) was a nice size. It came with a fridge, and air conditioning unit. Beware, there are bed bugs in both the bed and the futons. I had bites all over any skin I left exposed during my slumber.

The staff also struck me as ...indifferent. The house cleaners were sweeties, and so were the grounds keepers and security. But the wait staff at the resort restaurant Thirsty Turtle were lackluster in their service. They seemed to expect to be extravagantly tipped whether they did a good job or whether they did a crappy job. And they did a crappy job just about every day. I understand island time, but they seemed to be operating on island time on steroids. I should mention that my friend and I got the package that included meals and stay. Perhaps that is why the service was not great, maybe they didn't expect that we were going to tip. who knows?

I've already written a review for the Dive Center, but it's worth mentioning here also that the dive center is the best part of this resort. The dive staff rocks!

The beach was also very well groomed and lovely. that was the second best part of the stay at Banarama. Even though they seemed to pull out the most uncomfortable lounge chairs (uneven, resin) for guests. And they don't tell you taht Island Pearl is connected and therefore you can use the more confortable lounge chairs (blue and white nylon) kept there.

I doubt they could offer me a deal low enough to entice me to stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank CTCamQOTU
Bananarama03, General Manager at Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2012

We are glad that you enjoyed the location of the hotel and the amazing dive staff that we have onsite. We are happy you enjoyed the well groomed beaches and you felt the room size was very good. We are sorry to hear you did not know we own Island Pearl as it is a great amenity to use while you are here. We do place welcome books in every room that inform you of this and many other actvities as well as mention it to you when you check in.
The room the guest choose did not have bed bugs. The resort does not and never has had bed bugs. The guests is confusing them with the very common bug on the island called a sand flea. They are small like the size of a nat. Their nick name on the island are noseeumms because they are so small. It is a common on the island however if you take the right precautions like using a strong bug spray you can avoid them at all costs. They do leave a red mark and swell the same feeling as a normal mosquito bite. We clean the rooms everyday and provide a foot bucket outside your room to help ensure that you don't bring them in with you from your day in the beach. We provide outside showers as well. We spray once a week and rake the beach twice a day. We take a lot of time and care into making sure we control them as much as we can. If a guests does not use spray and receives bites while they are in the sand and later go back to their room and not notice until they shower or go to bed I can see how that can be confused. I would hope this guests would change her review as posting something that is untrue is slander and can be very bad for the hotels reputation.
The staff we have are great and we have had most of them for years. We recently put in a new POS computer system and the time you where here we were doing trainng. I am very sorry if that caused some delay in your service as most times they are very fast to attend to people..We will make sure to talk to the staff in regards to your comments to prevent further problems.

With that said part of going to a new place is experiencing new cultures and lifestyles and you can't expect the exact same treatment and or service you might receive in north america. The waitors are polite, friendly, hard working and love what they do. We have over 6 managers onsite all day and if at any time you weren't receiving good service we wish you would have come to let one of us know so we could deal with it at that moment.
We appreciate your review and hope you were able to enjoy your stay in Roatan
Cori-

Reviewed 4 May 2012

We stayed at Bananarama the middle of January. It's nice, nothing fancy, but nice. We stayed in the cabana farthest from the dive shop and it was well worth it. The dive shop is noisy, but in our cabana it was not so bad. I would recommend taking the water taxi to West End. It is sooooo cute and it feels like there are more locals around. The Vintage Pearl restaurant was nice. Kind of strange you have to take your shoes off at the front door (considering they are serving food) but good food and a nice staff. The beach does get a little crowded when the cruise ships are in town….but it’s no big deal. Have fun with it and enjoy the people watching.

Room Tip: The cabana farthest from the dive shop.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nelken1542
Reviewed 25 April 2012

I recently returned from Bananarama and my husband and I enjoyed every minute of it.

We spent 7 days there and used the Dive shop to get Open Water SCUBA certified. So happy we did this! We had a great time. Our instructor, Sofia, was very knowledgeable, patient, and made the experience fun.
We had Cabin 2 and were never bothered by noise from the dive shop(as I had expected from reading other posts on here).

Pros- The food and drinks of the Thirsty Turtle were good. Prices were okay, about $3-5 for beer and $10-$18 for lunch/dinner plate. The beach is beautiful and the water is warm. We ususally walked about 1/4mile down toward the rocks to get away from the crowds. And that area is great for snorkeling as is the water in front of Infinity Bay. We mostly spent our week diving, snorkeling(brought our own gear), and laying on the beach(bring a beach towel). We skipped doing any tours or ziplinning, as we have always done too much on our vacations and just wanted to relax and enjoy. Cons- As anywhere in the caribbean the food service is slow, about 30-45 minutes to get lunch or dinner served. So we always arrived to the reataurant before being very hungry. The breakfast usually had only 1 hot option, and just cereal, fruit, and yogurt everyday. The cabin is not luxurious and the towels are rough.

I read about a man that sells BANANA DOUGHNUTS on the beach at about 5pm... we saw him and purchased some. They were delicious!

Room Tip: Some days they have loud music so you might want to ask for a quiet room/cabin in the back.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CAbeachlovers
Reviewed 23 April 2012

My first impression of Bananarama was not great. I arrived to my room, which was not ready - no big deal, since I did arrive a little before check-in time. I left my bags and got some lunch at the Thirsty Turtle. I came back to my room to realize that the refrigerator was not clean and the bathroom sink was covered in hair. I hate to complain, but I just thought that this was unacceptable, especially considering that the cleaning lady had just left my room. I mentioned it to the front desk and the next day, it was taken care of. However, there were cleanliness issues throughout the rest of my stay that I "discovered along the way". Such as a roach in the room one morning (I understand this is the tropics, but I've stayed all over the Caribbean and never had roaches in my room), the bathroom floor was not mopped (which attracted ants) and someone's old, hair-covered hair elastic in the shower. Also - it seemed that the shower was not cleaned once during my one-week stay - sand and my hair left in there every day.

With all that said – these things weren’t "deal-breakers" (I'm a very flexible traveler), but I think for the price per night for my room, that these things were not OK. I stay frequently at a place in Mexico for $60/night which is much nicer, friendlier, and cleaner.

Another thing that bothered me (as well as fellow divers that I met while there), was that the breakfast situation for divers was terrible. For a place that markets themselves as a "beach and dive resort", other than having the dive shop on site, not much else here caters to divers. Breakfast was at 8 for everyone, and at 7:45 for divers. First, 15 minutes is really not a lot of time to scarf down your meal. Second, it was almost impossible to get someone to acknowledge you in the morning. Two mornings I did not eat there at all, I just had some granola bars that I brought with me, and another morning, I ordered at 7:40, and by 8 my breakfast still wasn't there and I had to leave to go diving. A side note, I always ordered yogurt and fruit - my thought process was that it would be faster since it didn't need to be cooked, but apparently I was wrong.

The positives:
As a diver and a solo traveler, the thirsty turtle restaurant right on the property as well as a few restaurants within walking distance was very convenient. All the meals that I did eat at the Thirsty Turtle were good and fresh, contrary to some of the reviews I had read beforehand. Also, having the dive shop on site was fantastic - I will write a separate review of the Dive Shop, as they were excellent! The transportation that was included with my package was on time and reliable, the drivers were friendly and safe. The grounds were quite pretty, plenty of foliage to provide more privacy between cabanas. This is definitely a “family friendly” resort – always something going on at the restaurant every night and dinner specials. The beach and location can't be beat - West Bay beach is stunning!

All in all, I would return to Bananarama if I got an amazing deal, but for the price I paid this time, I believe I could have stayed elsewhere that would have been a better value. A few recommendations/suggestions for the management:

-Get the cleaning scenario in check or lower your prices.
-Fix the breakfast issue for divers - having your breakfast included in your room rate is amazing, but not so much when you can't partake in it.
-It would be nice to provide racks or shelving or some place in the room to store things. There were 4 hangers on a rod above the fridge and microwave, but literally no room below it to hang anything. I hung all my clothes on the back of my door.

Bananarama is great for families, but it is certainly a bit more rustic (which I knew and was prepared for), I would not recommend it for couples looking for romantic getaways or anyone that is looking for anything luxurious. The great thing about Roatan is that there a ton of hotels/accommodations to choose from, ranging from budget to luxurious, and everything in between. I'd say Bananarama falls right in the middle - not terrible, but not incredible.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Ashley R
Bananarama03, Manager at Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2012

We would like to thank you for taking time to review our hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed the food and the convienence of the restaurant being so close. We are also happy that you thought the dive shop did a terrific job. We have an excellent safe dive shop and are very proud of it.
We are sorry to hear about the problems regarding the cleanliness of your room. We have since then talked with the maid responsible for your room and there should not be any further problems. We will also be moving up the dive time to provide a little more time for our divers to enjoy their breakfast.
Mother nature is very present on the island and time to time little insects, ants etc can make there way through to your room. We try our best to spray and clean but once in a awhile it can happen being a tropical island with a cabana in the garden area.
We would love to offer you an amazing deal so you can come back and try the hotel again and hopefully the second time around we can provide an excellent vacation all in all for you and be abe to receive a better rating. Thank you again and we appreciate your business
-Cori,
General Manager.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

I just completed my 8th stay at Bananarama (April 14-21). The weather was perfect assuming that you like sunny days and temps. in the mid - upper 80's. Arriving the weekend after Easter meant that the large crowds were gone and life on Roatan is beginning to slow down after the busy winter season. The reef is just off the beach in front of the resort and the sea life viewing is great this time of year. On Saturday the 21st I went for one last snorkel before leaving the island and watched a pair of eagle rays swim in circles around and underneath me for several minutes. On the way back to shore i startled a sea turtle while he was eating his breakfast. I love West Bay and the Bananarama is located right at the center of the beach so I am close to everything. Cori and Ricardo run things at the resort and are constantly looking for new services to provide. Their new wood-fired brick pizza oven was a big hit with me personally. It was also gratifying to hear them spaek of their commitment to retaining the beautiful tropical landscaping on their resort and not to pave over every bit of their property with concrete as some of their condo neighbors have done. In the evening when it is time to come out of the water their beach bar the Thirsty Turtle is the place to be. On my first night there I sat at the bar and listened to a band from Argentina play on their open-air stage with sand and palm trees in the foreground, and the ocean with a setting sun in the background. It just doesn't get any better than that! As I have written before the staff at Bananarama is great. The bar staff including Vilma, Alphonso, Steven, Scott, Darry and Anna are great. They even managed to find my Red Wings hockey games on the satellite T.V. even though none of them understood the game. Carolina and Jessica are great servers and always remembered my menu preferences. My room (#22) is so close to the ocean that I was always tracking water into my room after a swim but head maid Marleny and her staff always had the room looking spic and sapn the next morning. I have been coming to Bananarama twice a year since the fall of 2008. I have continued to research other destinations but have not been able to find anywhere that offers what Roatan has at Bananarma's prices.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear of the resort are quieter, but if you do stay in a room closer to the bar the bar...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Bananarama03, General Manager at Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2012

Barry

Thank you for the great review. We had a great time visiting with you as well and love having you at the resort each year! We appreciate that you choose to come back to Bananarama every time. Great people like you who can truly see the reason why Roatan is so wonderful is what we need more of! I, as well as the whole Bananarama staff would like to say thank you!! We hope to see you again in a couple months!!!

Cori-

Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort
Foster's West Bay
Foster's West Bay
#8 of 14 in West Bay

Been to Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort? Share your experiences!