“Bananarama Roatan Honduras”

Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Very rustic, but quaint and such an experience. Everything was clean and comfortable. The staff was friendly and helpful and we felt very safe. Thank goodness for air conditioning in our room because it was quite humid and lots of mosquitos. The maid service did a great job and every day we came back to characters made from towels. The Thirsty Turtle is on the grounds and we enjoyed hanging out there with the staff who were fantastic! (Eddison, Derry, Tim, Zebby and Sandra). Food was great! The Island Pearl is there too and food was great too. We don't dive, but there is a dive shop there who took the divers out several times each day and they all loved it. I would recommend trying Bananarama at least once in your lifetime to experience it. If Roatan is on your bucket list "it is a must do". Ron and Lori (Portland, OR)

Room Tip: Any cabana you choose would be good.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort

Reviewed 17 September 2013

great place to hangout and relax. our server victor there was such a friendly server and great service at patio. everyone there was nice and friendly. overall a great experience. every morning came out to enjoy the complimentary breakfast and it was sooo goood! the drinks are cheap especially during happy hour. We did scuba diving and the instructors were all nice. the rooms were clean we had the villa suite and our beds were made every day.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 September 2013

The staff on several occasions tryed to rip me off by trying to charge me for stuff that i had already paid for. Good thing i pay close attention to things like this because i had to ....on several occasians...tell them what and what not was paid for. It was crazy. Its already nervewracking traveling to a country like Honduras but when your resort booking staff cant find your reservation the day before the trip its just too much. Most activities are way over priced. I think $ 85 for horseback riding is insane. $65 for the ride and $20 for a taxi there and back. Room was not that clean...very rustic...and no television nor table! You have to pay a $40 island exit fee which i also find ridicoulous. There are scammers and con artists that roam the beach and hang out at the bar trying to convince you to purchase their services. The water in the room has a foul odor..makes you kinda not wanna bath. Will definetly not be going back.

• Stayed: July 2013
8  Thank Nina V
Bananarama03, Owner at Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

First let me say that I understand that you are upset about your booking and we did not have room for a free upgrade when you demanded one. I can see from your other amazing reviews that you try to blackmail others into getting your way as you kindly suggested you would do when you where here. Trip Advisor can be an amazing tool, but extortion just does not fly at this resort. I will happily take this one star vs giving into what you want. If you had a legitimate complaint that I could solve for you our staff would happily accommodate you. You do however have to let us know there is a problem in order for us to solve it as nothing in your review was mentioned while you where here. The room was simply too small... again if we had a different room accommodation when you were here I would have happily upgraded you as we do for many of our guests when available.

$40 is not a resort collected fee and it is a manditory government airport tax.

We do not have ANY cable in our rooms. Nor is this promised anywhere. We are a beach and dive resort. We do have TV's with DVD players available in the reception as well as movies to choose from.

Where I come from it would be reasonable to pay a driver $20 to drive me to an activity, wait for 1 to 2 hours for me and then drive me back to my place. It is the same here. If you dont think $65 per person is reasonable for a private sunset beach ride...dont go. Find another activity, negotiate or find another company who offers similar services.

In regards to people hanging out at the bar... the bar is a popular drinking spot and many people hang out there. We try our very best to make sure that everyone is happy and that they are having a good time. If any guest does have a problem with someone soliciting them on the property please let us know immediately. It does happen from time to time and we can quickly take care of it. The first 10 meters of the beach is public however and we are not allowed to take the law into our own hands and act as police officers in public areas. We do control the remainder of the beach with private security does a great job at keeping vendors away from the guests. Free speech is still very much alive here in Honduras in regards to solicitation and so is hardwork, diligence and the entrepreneurial spirit. When you get to the point in your life where you are selling cigars on the beach to feed your family vs stealing I have to tip my hat to the guy even though its illegal that he is doing the best he can with the resources he has.

As a resort guest you do have to wear a bracelet. This identifies you as a guest for breakfast, beach chairs, kayaks, resort access etc... in the event you choose not to wear your bracelet it would be expected for the staff to collect payment for these things. We have amazing staff, but we have 80 to 110 people rotating on different shifts...this is not something you can count on being remembered each shift because the same person may not be working. I personally am not a huge fan of the bracelet. They are not that fashionable, but security for you, your room and the entire resort depends largely on making sure visitors are not wandering around the property and can be identified by our security guards.

We have on occasion had problems with our water. The island does have a high sulfur content and we do have a treatment system for it. If any guest ever has an issue please let us know immediately. About 95% of the time it means its a 5 minute filter/cartridge replacement. We store almost 220,000 gallons of water here at the resort for our operations. It is a big process and filters do get missed now and again.

Again. Thanks for the review/threats. I do appreciate your feedback and am confident I could have solved most of these issues for you during your stay if they where brought to our attention. We have incredible staff that is willing to help you out with all your needs, but this type of "negotiating" for a room upgrade is simply unacceptable here.
Louis

Reviewed 10 September 2013

I just returned from my second visit this year to Bananarama, and my fifth visit in the past four years. I continue to return for very simple reasons: 1. This resort has an older time Caribbean low-key charm. 2. The staff, to a person, at all levels - the current (and past) onsite owner, reservations staff, bar/restaurant staff, grounds staff, diveshop crew and boat captains - are kind, super friendly, and only too glad to be of help. To name a few (and I could and should name many more): Jeff, Jane, Denise, Carolina, Albert, Tim, Sandra, Alex, Martin, Marco, Zoe, Manuel and Edwin. And what's so nice is that in very short order you'll be known - and remembered should you return - by your name, and maybe even hugged! Not many resorts, certainly not big ones, offer that. 3. Making reasonable allowances for the fact that Bananarama is located in a Caribbean country of modest means, Bananarama is a well maintained resort. It shows pride of ownership and staff in a proud homeowner's way. It features free WiFi for guests. There are more upscale (and likely more expensive) Roatan resorts, but provided you're not fussy and have an easy going attitude, you should be quite fine with the facilities. Just sit at a Thirsty Turtle bar stool with a local beer in hand while admiring that gorgeous beach, or catching the Honduran soccer team on television with the locals, and you will soon appreciate what is important. 4. The Thirsty Turtle Bar offers respectable bar food, especially with the addition of Pizzarama. If you want a change, there is the upscale Island Pearl onsite restaurant, or any of several nearby restaurants. 5. The dive shop runs a friendly and fun and ultimately safe, professional operation. This was and remains critical for me as diver but also as a dad whose daughters certified at Bananarama, and who now return as repeat keen divers. Big thanks to Martin in this regard. A closing tip: while I've enjoyed all my past visits, this latest one - in the slow season of late August/September, was especially nice because there were fewer tourists (especially cruise ship crowds). Fewer tourists makes for an even nicer pace, really, really great service and small dive boat groups.

Room Tip: I stayed in garden cabana # 4, which is one of a series of cabanas on the land (vs. beach) side of t...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Finster56
Reviewed 9 September 2013

We've stayed on Roatan several times and a few times now at Bananarama. Wy do we come back? Not because it`s fancy, but because it`s comfortable. We can take our shoes off when we arrive and the staff takes care of us for the rest of the stay. We go for the diving, for sure, and during summer time (August), it's very quiet and you can really work with the dive masters to determine which sites you want to hit. Marco, Zoe and Martin at the dive shop are professional, safety concious and keen to have you enjoy your dive experience. But the entire staff are pro's - Zebi, Sandra and Tim behind the bar know how to take care of your cocktails, Carolina, Brittney, Albert, Freddie and Alex take care of you right at Thirsty Turtle. Stephen has become quite a waiter at Vintage Pearl! We enjoyed another fine meal there - excellent food. And our driver, Steven, got us around in the Bananarama-mobile on time and safely. These people are our extended family and we receive a warm welcome when we return. If you are looking for a no fuss holiday, this is a good spot. If you're looing for meals on silver platters and crystal chandeliers, stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 20 - close enough, but not too close to the evening entertainment. A good choice.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Can't say enough good things about this place. It has the aloha spirit! The locals were genuinely nice and made me feel welcomed. Went out for a lunch with someone we met there and walked around the small town. Never felt any hostility or nada. Treat people with respect and it comes back ten fold. The tourist traps are cool too.

As for the resort, awesome. The Dive Instructor Martin made this experience special. After many years of diving, i never went for my advanced cert. His low key approach and strong knowledge base made me want to go for it. My partner who recently got her open water went for it too. Learned a lot from him and had a blast on our specialty dives. Martin is one of the best instructors I have ever had the pleasure of diving with! The whole team at the shop was great. Mirella (sorry if I got that wrong) managing the shops books was really nice. Marko (haole boy from Hawaii) was way cool. Just great people.

Bar and food service staff were great. Tim, Albert, Zebbie you guys are the bomb,,,,,,! Had a blast chilling, felt like hanging with my friends. Yet, they were still very professional. They balanced it out well. They have a great vibe going on there. Made a very diverse clientele all feel welcomed. Carolina greeted us with a smile every morning. Brought us fresh avocado, thanks!
Very special shout out to Sandra. Really enjoyed our talks, helped us understand the history and people of Roatan. Hope to cross paths with her again.

Place seemed to have a lighter environmental impact.
New shop selling only recycled items made locally
Overall Eco-conscious

Hints....
Don't need a car, take the water taxi. Cheaper and quick.
They have wi-fi for free!
Use the safe to store your valuables, safe resort but no need to carry your stuff around the island
Take a water taxi and ask about local spots, they'll hook you up
Serenity spa in walking distance from resort is a nice inexpensive treat for your lady
You will have a fridge, use it
Bring insect repellent ! There will be Mosquitos on the island...
Check out the drive-in theater ( you will not need a car)
Find the local "string of pearls" you will never forget it....

Did I mention some of the best diving in the world?

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Maui-Honu
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I wanted to be selfish and keep this special place a secret, but since the staff and experience was such a pleasure, the truth comes out. I was greeted with a big smile and welcoming wishes from Brittney. Denice and Sarah were very kind too. Thank you Tim & Edison, for the awesome drinks. The cook at Thirsty Turtle actually cooked me a perfect lobster ( 2 for 1 special ) and tilapia fillet along with red beans that were unlike any other beans i've ever had.
Now the scuba diving...awesome!
Was guided by Zoe and Daniel who show me amazing terraine, caven swim throughs, wall dives and some of the smallest and unique species I had ever seen. We were lucky enough to see two spotted eagle rays "dancing around" one another. Plus my all time favorite, juvenile spotted drum.

• Stayed: August 2013
Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort
Foster's West Bay
Foster's West Bay
#8 of 14 in West Bay

Been to Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort? Share your experiences!