“Inexpensive Stay on West Beach”

Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
Reviewed 26 January 2014

My wife and I stayed at Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort from January 11 through January 18, 2014. I wanted to go to Roatan because of the scuba diving but my wife doesn't dive so I needed a place she could relax on the beach and enjoy as well. Bananarama met these requirements so I booked it.

Having read the reviews I pretty much knew what to expect - a basic room with a bed and a bathroom. We had cabana #1, which was right next to the dive shop. This was very convenient for me as a diver. Other reviews mentioned the noise from the dive shop when filling tanks but it was not too bad. It is also far enough away from the Thirsty Turtle Bar (the main bar at Bananarama) so that we were not bothered at night. The room was comfortable and the air conditioner worked well, plus I really appreciated having a ceiling fan in the room. Having a hammock on the front porch was nice as well - it was good place to read when the weather was bad late in the week we were there. Wifi in the room worked well so I was able to get my electronic newspaper and other internet goodies as I desired.

We had a power failure late one night at the resort, but by 6:30 AM the resort's generator had been started and we had no other issues with power the whole trip.

My wife felt safe on West beach and was able to go up and down the beach as she liked. When cruise ships were in the area around Bananarama got a little crowded, but they have an area in front of the Island Pearl reserved for guests that she could retreat to if needed.

The Thirsty Turtle was good for breakfast which was included in the plan we were on - I had breakfast there everyday and I appreciated that they opened early for divers and gave us priority since we had to be off by 8:15 for our morning dives. The Thirsty Turtle was also a pretty good bar and we watched NFL playoff games on their TV the first weekend there after my diving and other activities. They have pretty good bar food and the pizza was really good.

When we wanted to go other places Bananarama was good about arranging drivers for us to go to Anthony's Key for a dolphin encounter or to take me to the dive shop for the special Roatan Shark Dive run by one operation on the island. They were also very good at taking us to and from the airport.

I really liked their central position on West Bay Beach and how easy it was to just walk down the beach to other resorts for differing restaurant options. Everyone at the resort was very friendly and helpful to us the whole time we were there. If I return to Roatan I would definitely stay there again.

1  Thank George P
Bananarama03, Owner at Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

I deeply appreciate the time you have taken to share you review with us and with future guests. We have a family owned/operated resort type feel and appreciate the feedback you have provided. Power does go out from time to time on the island and our generator provides back up power from 7am to 11pm:) If it gets too hot during the evening hours we do at times turn the generator back on to cool down the rooms, but usually the rooms stay cool enough for the couple hours the power is off. My best advice to keep the rooms inexpensive is to book the package specials, follow the resort facebook for deals or book the specials on TripAdvisor. Our goal is to provide clean, comfortable and affordable accommodations for those looking for a rustic/comfortable island experience.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience.
Louis

Write a ReviewReviews (1,321)

Reviewed 24 January 2014

The flight - 4.5 hours from Toronto and getting through the airport was fast and without any problems.

We had an inclusive package and the taxi driver was waiting for us and got us to the resort in 20 minutes.

We were initially in room 18 and when we arrived there were staff lined up on a bench outside our room. Room 18 is not the best. We moved to 15 and it was much quieter. The rooms are simple, but clean. Who goes the island to sit in the room. The A.C. was fine and the shower pressure was good. The porch had a little hammock which was great at the end of a day.

The food was great especially the stone oven pizza and the coconut shrimp. We had lunch and dinner at the Vintage Pearl which had great service and food. You received one item for breakfast every morning and it was always good. Coffee was on early for a cup of java and a walk on the beach.

The resort is right on the water and to eat your meals with a view of the ocean was great. It is a laid back resort and everything is simple. You can walk all day without shoes as the resort is all sand.

The best snorkelling is a short walk to the left at the end of the beach. Coral and fish were stunning. I don't dive but all the divers raved about the diving. If you are used to five star resorts go to Infinity Bay. This place offers something different and is simple and has a lot of character.

The entertainment at the thirsty turtle was awesome. The crab races were entertaining and staff friendly.

Roatan, Honduras is a great destination which is safe and a new gem.

Some staff were great some I hardly noticed. Security were always on the ball. Cruise days did get crowded but there were enough chairs for everyone.

Room Tip: Dont pick 18 - 15 is good spot - cabins in the back look really cool
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Bananarama03, Owner at Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share so much about your experience with us and other guests. Room #15 is one of my personal favorites as it is much more secluded and private. Rooms 17-20 are great rooms in the fact they are clean, comfortable and affordable...however they are close to the resort entrance and you do see traffic coming and going... They are also on the foot path to the restrooms/showers which can be discerning if you are trying to enjoy your time on your porch hammock. 19/20 are the better option as they are on the second level and foot traffic does not bother you much. 18 and 20 are closer to the generator which used to be a pretty big deal, but the power over the last couple years has become more stable... but then again I am paying more than 450% to 600% more than my original electric bills when we purchased almost 8 years ago! Roatan has the second highest electric rate in the Western Hemisphere ranging from 40 to 42 cents per Kilowatt... Up to 1/3 of the room cost is for the electrical consumption! It is tough to balance this as a resort... Guests want ice cold AC and they want the room always cold, but in doing so the room rates have needed to increase along with our RECO bill!

Most guests would agree that our room accommodations are simple... clean, comfortable and affordable, but our staff gets all 5 stars! Thank you again for taking the time to write such a detailed review. We look forward to having you back soon!
Sincerely

Reviewed 22 January 2014

Our trip began and ended on perfectly sunny days. January 4th to 11th. What came in between was an unusual storm that interfered with our pre-booked diving. While two of the three days of stormy weather were impossible to go out, the third day was calm enough for the family to dive on the opposite side of the island. The staff at the dive center were flexible and accommodating to help make up for lost dives on the sunnier days. Absolutely everyone we encountered at this resort was friendly and eager to please. I am reluctant to call it a resort because that conjures up images of tiled pools and all you can eat buffets. Bananarama is not that. It is an area of beach front property lined with cabins, single family or multiple occupancy. The sandy paths between the cabins are lined with coconut trees and flowering plants. The ocean is within a stone's reach. The patio on our cabin #25 had a hammock, swing and love seat sized patio furniture. The entire family could enjoy the sunset together. The cabins are rustic, not fancy. We had a small kitchen with fridge, stove and coffee machine. We booked the staff driver to take us to town to stock our fridge with enough staples to last the week. Dinners where enjoyed every night at the bar. We never felt the need to leave. The complimentary Kayaks came in handy on the days that were too rough to dive. It was fun kayak surfing instead. My only suggestion has been mentioned before which is to offer breakfast earlier. The late breakfast did not interfere with our diving but it would be better if offered earlier. We all agreed that we would LOVE to come back. This is exactly our type of place. Cozy, rustic, friendly, clean and accommodating.

Room Tip: The aerial view of the grounds is not current. I thought we were going to be more secluded than we w...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank btsmac
Bananarama03, Owner at Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

We deeply appreciate your review and are pleased that you had such a great time even when the weather was less than perfect. Unfortunately the weather is not something we can control, however we do try to use both sides of the island to make sure we are able to dive every day possible:) We are not a plush or luxury hotel/resort by any means. We aim for the clean, comfortable and affordable image and are really happy you enjoyed your stay with us. I will be discussing the breakfast options on how to get it out a bit earlier with the staff...

Thank you again for sharing your experience.

Reviewed 18 January 2014

We stayed for a week returning January 15th. We had a great time, 2 dives each morning and an afternoon to relax. The staff is fantastic, the atmosphere totally relaxed. There were several days we never even put on flip flops. The dive center is really well run and professional. While the resort was clean and well maintained, it is not fancy. The food served at the restaurant was very good and the wait staff was exceptional. My only suggestion is that on a few days, the breakfast that was included with the room was not up to par with the rest of the food and also if you are diving in the morning they don't serve breakfast early enough to avoid eating in a rush.

Room Tip: We had beach front bungalow 24, Would recommend it or #25 that is even a little more removed from ac...
2  Thank Steve H
Bananarama03, Owner at Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Thank you for catching the island vibe while you were here... sometimes it can be missed:) We have been working on the breakfast timing with the divers. To all future guests I promise the dive boat will not leave without you if you are eating breakfast and show up on time... the resort is connected and the dive boats will wait for you... dont stress out... just relax your on vacation:) If for any reason you are not happy with what is offered during morning breakfast please ask your server what extended options the kitchen may have... ie eggs/toast is pretty easy and generally available:) Our Dive Staff is amazing and is in contact with the kitchen on timing each morning to see how things are going... they only start to stress if you are not at breakfast and have not shown up yet! For a tip I would recommend on Sundays grabbing a light breakfast and then coming back after your afternoon dive and grabbing brunch at the Vintage Pearl... its amazing... try the steak and eggs or eggs benedict!

Reviewed 18 January 2014

My husband and I spent a week here and loved every minute, even the rainy, windy minutes! We have gone diving in the Bahamas and elsewhere and wanted to try the reef off Central America. Found this place online, and I'm so glad we did! It is right on the beach in West Bay. The rooms are cute rather than luxurious, but very comfortable and homey with all of the amenities you might want (including a hammock on the porch!). The restaurant and bar are much better than you might expect (many steps up from a Holiday Inn!), and every person we interacted with was friendly and helpful. Let me give a special shout out to Bianka and Denise in the office. Our luggage didn't arrive with us, and they were so great about contacting us (which meant finding us on the beach) and getting it to us. The Dive Center is a 5 star PADI center and was professional as well as friendly and helpful. Our dives were great fun, lead by knowledgeable, experienced dive masters. Thank you, Lanita and Marco! It was a thoroughly enjoyable trip and we can't wait to go again!

Room Tip: We were in room 15, a duplex, somewhat removed from the bar. It was quiet and relaxing.
2  Thank diver04

Thank you for taking the time to share your feelings about your stay at our resort. You are 100% right about our rooms... we are not a luxury hotel or resort by any means... we are going for the clean, comfortable and affordable rooms... we want you to enjoy the activities Roatan has to offer and use your room just for sleeping:)

Room #15 is actually my parents favorite room! They love it because it is private, in the middle of the resort and just steps from the beach... in my opinion it is one of the best rooms we offer...

Thank you again for joining us for your vacation and we look forward to seeing you soon:)

Reviewed 16 January 2014

There are not enough words to sum up how utterly amazing this pace is! From the lodging to the view to the food and drinks and all of the people who work there! I fell in love and am already looking for a way to get back there!

All of my friends took advantage of the diving and they said it was first rate. Two of them were getting their first certification and another was getting her advanced certification. They loved the dive masters, the boat captains, and everything they saw - from fish to coral to turtles to lobsters to a nurse shark.

The bar was so much fun and everyone was always happy to see us.

The manager was on site every day and greeted everyone with a smile. I work in the service industry and he was tops!!

The food was delicious - we had breakfast there every day and lunch and dinner on many of them as well. You can't go wrong when you get if you get Albert as your server. He's probably one of the best I've ever had!! Always a smile and in a good mood!

I found them on Groupon and am ready to go back immediately! Not sure if I mentioned that I literally just walked in the door in Pittsburgh from there!

Go! Have fun!! :)

Oh. It asked me to rate the swimming pool and the room service and I accidentally did. They have neither but with the Caribbean right in front of you and Albert and the bartenders close by you don't need either!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the garden cabanas and thought they were very comfortable and private.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank PittsburghDmm
Bananarama03, Owner at Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2014

Our staff was extremely happy to view your review. Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. The dive shop is doing exceptional this year and there is always so much to see! Roatan has some great dives with incredible diversity so you can see everything you wanted and then a little more.

Groupon.com specials happen about every three months so keep your eyes open! ie check in around the 21st of this month:) We look forward to having you back with us soon.

Reviewed 14 January 2014

Had a great time relaxing in the Sun. Many things to do and snorkeling was a blast. Very natural setting with a beautiful beach. Ate at the resort most the time and enjoyed a variety of good meals. My wife and I Especially liked the Banana donut man who walked the beach selling "banana donuts" They are the best.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank 1,029,385
Bananarama03, Owner at Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Thank you for sharing some of the details of your vacation with us and we are really happy you had an amazing time. One of the great things about our location is that we are right in the center of the beach making all the activities super easy to get to. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Louis

PS Milton the Banana Dounut legend told me he has a masters degree in public administration... He said he used to work at a municipal in Teguc, but moved to the island because it was safe and wanted a change of pace for him and his wife:) Just comes to show you that there are all sorts of characters down here:)

Also consider these accommodations in or near West Bay
Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort
Foster's West Bay
Foster's West Bay
#7 of 14 in West Bay

Been to Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort? Share your experiences!