My wife and I stayed at Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort from January 11 through January 18, 2014. I wanted to go to Roatan because of the scuba diving but my wife doesn't dive so I needed a place she could relax on the beach and enjoy as well. Bananarama met these requirements so I booked it.
Having read the reviews I pretty much knew what to expect - a basic room with a bed and a bathroom. We had cabana #1, which was right next to the dive shop. This was very convenient for me as a diver. Other reviews mentioned the noise from the dive shop when filling tanks but it was not too bad. It is also far enough away from the Thirsty Turtle Bar (the main bar at Bananarama) so that we were not bothered at night. The room was comfortable and the air conditioner worked well, plus I really appreciated having a ceiling fan in the room. Having a hammock on the front porch was nice as well - it was good place to read when the weather was bad late in the week we were there. Wifi in the room worked well so I was able to get my electronic newspaper and other internet goodies as I desired.
We had a power failure late one night at the resort, but by 6:30 AM the resort's generator had been started and we had no other issues with power the whole trip.
My wife felt safe on West beach and was able to go up and down the beach as she liked. When cruise ships were in the area around Bananarama got a little crowded, but they have an area in front of the Island Pearl reserved for guests that she could retreat to if needed.
The Thirsty Turtle was good for breakfast which was included in the plan we were on - I had breakfast there everyday and I appreciated that they opened early for divers and gave us priority since we had to be off by 8:15 for our morning dives. The Thirsty Turtle was also a pretty good bar and we watched NFL playoff games on their TV the first weekend there after my diving and other activities. They have pretty good bar food and the pizza was really good.
When we wanted to go other places Bananarama was good about arranging drivers for us to go to Anthony's Key for a dolphin encounter or to take me to the dive shop for the special Roatan Shark Dive run by one operation on the island. They were also very good at taking us to and from the airport.
I really liked their central position on West Bay Beach and how easy it was to just walk down the beach to other resorts for differing restaurant options. Everyone at the resort was very friendly and helpful to us the whole time we were there. If I return to Roatan I would definitely stay there again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located directly on West Bay Beach, our Roatan Eco Friendly Dive and Beach Front Resort is blessed with the turquoise waters of the Caribbean shaded under an amazing tropical canopy. We offer an island dream vacation for those who want to escape the stress of everyday life and relax Roatan style. We offer clean, comfortable and affordable rooms with a hammock on every porch and offer free breakfast, wifi, beach chairs, kayaks and smiles. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and Agoda so you can book your Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bananarama Beach And Dive Hotel West Bay
- Bananarama Dive Hotel
- Hotel Bananarama Dive
- Bananarama Beach And Dive Resort Roatan, Honduras - West Bay