“The shoes come off when you arrive, and they don't go back on until you leave!”

Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
Reviewed 1 May 2014

My stay at Bananarama was exceptional! I came for the diving and wound up in the cabana closest to the on site dive operation (#1). My place was nothing fancy, but it lived up to all of my expectations, after all, all I did there was shower, change clothes, and sleep! It was kept very clean by a maid service that I never saw until the day I left, as they made it a point to clean while I was out diving. Victoria and Denise (office) were very helpful, answered all of my questions, gave me the lay of the resort, and even came by to check on me to make sure everything was to my liking. Bananarama is a beautiful resort, well maintained, secure, and clean. Everything I wanted was on site and there was no need to leave the property if I didn't want to. Most of the people that I met while there were return visitors, and all were very friendly. I certainly got my moneys worth and will be returning!

Room Tip: Cabanas 1 and 2 are right at the dive center.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank EatRunDive
Bananarama03, Owner at Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

EatRunDive,

That is one of the amazing things about being built literally on the beach:) Sand Sand Sand... I bet you even found some in your suitecases when you got back:) We look forward to having you back with us soon!

Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

Visited here on eadter break, realizing there was more people than usual was leanient on service however smiles disappeared as the week went on and very slow service. However the place is beautiful, live music is great and they make a mean monkey-lala

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Arturo L

Arturo,

Thank you for taking the time to review our resort. Yes Semana Santa week is crazy and every year we are just happy to make it out alive:) I would not ever recommend Semana Santa week for anyone who is looking for peace and quiet! Its pretty crazy here during that week. Thank you for your comments and we hope to see you soon on a slower week less expensive week:)

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Fabulous place. Very tropical with basic amenities. Awesome beach access. We bought a groupon for this place and the breakfast was included for every day. There is a fire dance and crab race on the weekend. Also there are karaoke nights at the restaurant in this resort. The dive shop is one of the oldest and well equipped. Our groupon included the dive materials and snorkeling materials.This resort is located on the best beach on the island. would love too go back again. The staff is very friendly and helping. They would even organize tours on request. The driver Steve organized an island tour for us with his friend. We paid 100$ for the taxi and the driver for the whole day for the island tour. We did plan on golfing but there is only 1 gold course and it was costing 100$ for the clubs and balls and cart, so we skipped it.The food at the nearby restaurants was awesome. I would suggest Argentinian grill for their beef and shrimps and The thirsty turtle for their stone baked pizza.All over a good place to stay right on the beach with an awesome access and sun set view.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank palpande

Palpande,

Thank you for joining us. I am really happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. Our beach we are located on is amazing and we are so blessed to be in this location. I am glad you enjoyed the food, service and entertainment... We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

We visited the beach in April. We stayed for a few days just before Easter week and prebooked for 4 nights. Beachside double room $170 per night.

At that price we had high hopes that this place would be quite beautiful. Well we were quite wrong it turns out.

Basically the room is of a quality you might expect of a backpacker place where you're paying $30 per night. We concluded that the price was because of the location and little more than that.

On the plus side: staff are very nice, the location is spot on, wifi is included and it works on the beach, there is aircon and water in the room, there is a fridge, bed on the beach is free, free use of a kayak.

On the downside: the bed was poor, the room was smelly, the water in the bathroom was smelly, the drinks and food are US priced not as they should be Honduran ($2.50 for a bottle of local beer, are their costs so high?!), granted it's a dive centre but the frequent strong smell of petrol is overwhelming.

Sorry but this place seriously isn't worth the money they are charging. If these are the going rates in Roatan then of course this is fair enough but you charge the prices you expect a certain quality and this hotel is rundown and needs work. Do the work then charge the prices.

Needless to say we decided we weren't willing to pay what was effectively another £100 for a night and left early. That money could easily cover 3 good quality hotel stays elsewhere in Honduras or Guatemala.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Faceman98
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I came here with my wife for a 4 day getaway from our kids while they were with the grandparents in Guatemala. We loved it here and someday will come back with the kids. The resort was nice and cozy. The service was great, everyone was so friendly. They have a good amount of space on the beach with nice water to swim for kids. You can rent snorkels from them and just a 5 min walk and couple hundred feet of swimming gets you to some wonderful underwater wildlife and coral That was amazing. The a/c worked great in the rooms, there was filtered water and a safe for your valuables. The restaurant/bar had great food as well with different specials every day. Breakfasts were complimentary for us at least and were very good and changed daily. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are pretty good. We had a private bungalow so no one above or below us to worr...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Donmega2000
Bananarama03, Owner at Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2014

We are really happy to hear you enjoyed your stay so much with us. We look forward to having you again soon. I highly recommend our Thursday through Sunday activities for anyone coming for a partial week...lots of fun:)

Reviewed 10 April 2014

My husband and I just got back from staying a week at Banarama (technically we were on the Island Pearl in a beachside two story bungalow), and it was amazing! I was so impressed with the quality of staff, as well as the quantity of staff. There was lots of security, and always someone available to answer questions, get you a beach chair, etc. Having so many restaurants on site, along with a beachside bar, was great for dining with a view, as well as getting drinks to have out on the beach. Our beachside bungalow was the perfect location! It was tucked back away from the crowds, but still just steps away from the sand. We had a huge pourch with a hammock and other patio furnitue (it also had two ceiling fans, which was super nice!). Thirsty Turtle has music/acitivities every night, but they always end at 10 so it doesn't disturb your sleep. The location is also great for snorkeling! We are huge on snorkeling. We loved heading straight out from the hotel out to the buoys where the reef started, and then swimming 400 yards west to the wall. The reef is gorgeous and we saw so many awesome fish and creatures! I would definitely come back and stay here again, and would want to be on the Island Pearl side again! It was one of the best weeks ever for us! My only two compaints would be some of the ladies in the office were kind of rude. When I checked out, the lady never asked me how my stay was or anything. She was busy talking to one of the employees the entire time and never really said a word to me. I really hope she added up all of my room charges correctly since she was talking the whole time. The few other time I went in there about different things, they were also kind of rude-as if I was thoroughly annoying them by my questions. But all the other staff around the resort were awesome! My other complaint would be that the room needed another mirrior! Having that one little mirrior in the tiny bathroom made it difficult for my husband and I to get ready at the same time. But that's very minor! Overall, I have no reservations giving this place 5 stars!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to give such a detailed review. Island Pearl is next to Bananarama and guests at the Pearl do have access Bananarama's amenities:)

I will follow up with the reception manager to see what is going on and correct the problems you have experienced. Most of our guests have reported very positive comments on the reception as of late so I will need to follow up and check to see what is going on.

Mirrors here are optional:) ... but I will check into your accommodation and see what I can do!

Thank you for your recommendation and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

Just visited Bananarama for the 12th time from March 29th through April 5th. The weather was spectacular, every day was sunny and in the mid to upper 80's. the resport is run by Jeff who also lives there and is a hands on manager from about 6a to 8p daily. I love spending lunch and evenings at the Thirsty Turtle bar & grill. Over the years the turnover of the bartenders and wait staff has been minimal so you are being served by experienced, friendly people who act like they want to be there. Carolina, Alfonso and Albert are excellent servers, while behind the bar Sandra, Derry, Edison and Marta are the best. The rooms are basic but maids like Odaliz and Marleny clean them every day. Every morning I snorkeled on the reef and enjoyed the great diversity of sea life found there. Sometimes the creatures on the reef are just as curious about you as you are about them. One morning a sea turtle swam up to within 1 foot of me to check me out. This is an example of why I keep coming back to this resort and this island. In addition to the great reef that is within swimming distance from the beach on West Bay there is the easy access to the island from several U.S. airports (I use Atlanta), the fact that Bananarama is such a beautiflu tropical resort situated at the center of West Bay beach and has very reasonable rates, and lastly and most importantly the people at Bananarama. I can honestly say that in all of the times that i have stayed there never once have I encountered a staff member that was rude or indifferent. When I am there I never feel like I am a customer i always feel like a member of the Bananarama family.

Room Tip: The month of May the weather in Roatan is incredible and airfares tend to be low.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank ba1_10

We are looking forward to your 13th visit soon! It is crazy to think that Bananarama is the oldest operating resort on the beach... We have seen a lot of changes through the years and are committed to keeping our resort with a caribbean rustic type of feel. We love our staff and the authentic caribbean vibe that they bring to our resort.

Thank you for your recommendation and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near West Bay
#4 of 14 in West Bay
Foster's West Bay
Foster's West Bay
#7 of 14 in West Bay

Been to Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort? Share your experiences!