“Great for divers”

Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed at Bananarama for a week; we purchased one of the packages that included food, a room, and 10 dives.

We stayed in cabana #6, which was lovely and perfect if you want to be a bit further away from the hustle and bustle of the beach and the dive shop. It has a king bed, microwave, fridge, coffee pot, alarm clock, and a small balcony. The only thing it didn't have was a hammock, but that didn't matter to us because the balcony was nice (great for drinking coffee in the morning before diving).

The resort itself was exactly what we wanted - unpretentious, friendly staff, beautiful beach, casual environment. It felt relaxed, safe, and happy!

The dive shop was great! They were very organized. The gear and boats were in good condition. The divemaster we had for the week (Zoe) was awesome - very enthusiastic, knowledgeable, and always trying to tailor the dive sites to the interests and experience of the group. We dove every morning at 8 am, got back to Bananarama about 12-1 p.m., had lunch, and spent the afternoons relaxing. Perfect. We had so much fun, we even ended up booking three extra dives, including a night dive. We would definitely dive with Bananarama again!

The only thing I would do differently is I don't think I would purchase the food package again. It's not that the food tasted bad, but it was very "American" - lots of cheese, deep-fried dishes, and things you'd find on American menus (burgers, pizza, taco salads, fries or chips with everything and mayo on everything). Not a lot of truly healthy options, and to make it trickier, I'm vegetarian and lactose intolerant, which left me with little choice. By the end of the week I would have died for something fresh and healthy. I think their best dishes were the rotating "typical" dishes (beans & rice, etc.) and the breakfasts.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sheenaneedscoffee
Bananarama03, Owner at Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

WannabeNomadic,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and future guests. We greatly appreciate your comments and suggestions for improvement. We have worked very hard on our menu to freshen it up and have seen a great deal of changes over the last couple of seasons. We look forward to additional changes and I have to admit that the local dish is always amazing... you have to come early for lunch to get it though:) I am very happy to hear you enjoyed your experience with us and especially in the diveshop.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Excellent place to stay and dive. Dive shop is top notch and professional. Marcos and everyone was great. Everything you need is right there. This was our first time staying on Roatan so we tried the restaurants up and down the beach. Ended up, Thirsty Turtle at Banarama had the best food. All the staff at the Thirsty Turtle were great but a special shout out to Victor. We look forward to meeting Victors girlfriend and little boy Jay Jay next time we are there. He went above and beyond. He helped me with my Spanish and we got to know all the staff and the experience was very personal and very friendly. We were up early every morning to go diving so early to bed but there was something going on every night, Karaoke, name that tune etc.. We will be going to Bananarama for our diving every year, this will be our pit stop before heading to Trujillo Bay on the mainland which is another beautiful area that everyone should experience.

Room Tip: Pick one of the individual cabanas. They are in the back in the trees. Only steps away from the beac...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Ken,

Thank you for your feedback and recommendation. Our diveshop which is the original diveshop in West Bay has been around for a long time and we are happy to have such amazing staff. Victor at the Thirsty Turtle is amazing... all most all of our staff is incredible and we are very blessed to have each and everyone of them.

Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to having you return to visit us very soon.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

This review is quite overdue.

This past Feb/Mar was our 3rd trip to Bananarama. We Love Bananarama!!

The rooms are in cottage type buildings and are quite comfortable with no more than 4 rooms to a building, so you are not staying in a hotel. This year we stayed for the majority of our time in unit 20 which is the unit we had on our first visit. The second year we stayed on the Island Pearl side in the studio. The rooms are in different area's of the resort, so depending on what you want, ie: to be near the action, away from the goings on in a quieter area, you can be accommodated. The maids are in every day and change your sheets, give you fresh towels and replenish your kitchenette supplies. (They also surprised us and did any dishes we'd left in the sink). The rooms have a microwave, water dispenser, fridge, plates, cups, glasses, cutlery and some rooms have small dressers. (Hopefully there will be a small one in the studio at Island Pearl for our next visit !! ).
We booked our hotel and air separately and our breakfast was included. The first year we ate the majority of our meals on site at the Thirsty Turtle. The cost of meals for the two of us for two weeks was approximately $400. The cost of the food is extremely reasonable. The second year we were there they had added the Pizza Oven. We ate a fair bit of pizza during the second stay and towards the end of this years visit discovered their calzones. OMG are they good!!!!!! (Purchase saran wrap or foil at the grocery store and wrap your leftovers for lunches).
When you eat at the Thirsty Turtle, make sure to sit in Adolpho's area. We call him Mr. Smiley and love this server. He is always smiling and this year helped me a bit with the little Spanish I've learned!

You can rent snorkel gear at the info/tour booth for the week at a very reasonable cost. Beach towels are not supplied, so bring your own or rent one from the booth.

There is usually some type of entertainment each night. The first two years we visited everything would be quiet by 10pm sharp. This was one of the things we liked about Bananarama. This year things went on some nights until after 11pm. We will keep this in mind for our next visit and stay further away from that area.

We were a little disappointed with one thing we witnessed. When the cruise ships are in port, the resort rents chairs to the cruisers. There were a couple of tourists from another part of the island, not from a cruise ship, who were sitting on the beach on their towels. (To the best of my knowledge, the entire beach is public property). In front of Bananarama on the public beach there is some shade from the trees. These two people were sitting in the shade. Some of the cruise ship people who had rented chairs wanted to sit in the shade. Security asked the two on towels to leave and they refused. Security then called Jeff, who explained that it was Bananarama property and advised them they had to leave. They eventually left, but were not happy. The explanation was that Bananarama provides security in the roped off area so people can leave their belongings when they go for a swim. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the security being visible when I am on the beach or in the laneway. I don't however believe it is correct to make two tourists leave a public area, because someone renting a chair wants to sit there. Too bad, the others were there first. Had I been thinking, I'd have given Bananarama the $20 price for chairs so the two could have remained there.

This disappointment aside, we love this resort. For the most part the staff is "very" friendly and will go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable. We have many friends at Bananarama and look forward to going back again to see them!!

(R.I.P. Zebby)

Room Tip: Island Pearl, a bit more expensive but in a quieter area. Garden rooms, in behind main area. Quiet...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chanceychelsey

ChanceyChelsey,

Thank you so much for your detailed review. We greatly appreciate your feedback and are always looking for ways to improve. Each time you come back we hope you have a bit better experience.

Next year we hope to have implemented some of your changes and will look forward to some more feedback:) Where would you put a dresser in 28? I will have to look and see if I can make that happen:)

It is true that the beach is public for the first 10 meters. After this 10 meters we do own/reserve the right for hotel guests/commercial space. We generally welcome everyone here at the resort and do not really have many problems on the beach with space. I will check into your comments and see if anyone remembers this problem, but my guess is that it was during busy season when the beach is extremely crowded and we were making room for our resort guests in our commercial space which can happen unfortunately in the busy part of the season... so many guests and only a limited amount of beach when the cruiseships show up. Guests from the cruiseships may sit in the public area at any time for free. They maybe asked to move their towels into the public area as well if space is needed in our commercial area... Our commercial area is raked, groomed, picked up after and secured by our resort staff and security which guests pay for when they rent beach chairs or are staying at the resort. The public area is patrolled by the municipal when they are available, cleaned and groomed by the resorts. We are not allowed to secure the public area which is where the vendors are and where most guests want to avoid due to the harassment from the local vendors who at times can become very aggressive. I would suggest that $10 for a chair that offers a groomed beach, security, bathrooms, showers and lockers for your possessions is not too out of line.... if you want to go to the public area that is great too... guests just have to be aware that in Honduras there is no bathrooms, security, showers, etc... that come with it. We happily clean the entire beach including the public areas everyday for everyone, but amenities for the resort are reserved for our guests.

Thank you again for your comments and I hope I have not been too long winded in my explanation. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

My husband and I just returned from seven wonderful days at Bananarama. We got the May Madness package which included all meals and 10 dives each. I can't say enough good things about our visit. First the diving was amazing. We saw so many fish, lobster, turtles and after we finished with one of our dives our boat caught up with a pod of 15-20 dolphins. Some were so close I thought they would touch me. Our instructor Zoe was such a fun loving person and made all our dives so comfortable. I only had a handful of dives under my belt before coming to this resort and not all of them were good but Zoe made our group feel so comfortable that I now feel much more confident of my diving skills. And since we were on the boat with the same group through all of our dives we also made friends. The food was good but a lot of it is fried so be prepared. We loved the pizza for lunch every day and fresh juice with breakfast was great too. Usually a fruit plate was on the menu as well as 1 or 2 other choices for breakfast. The Vintage Pearl was by far our best meals on the island. I don't know how they do it but their rib eye was so tender and juicy and the apple strudel is to die for. Music trivia on Tuesdays is a must, the energy of everyone that came out as well as the dj got everyone ready to party. The ocean was more like a warm crystal clear lake with hardly any waves so calm and relaxing to swim. The rooms are very rustic and could possibly use and update but we were hardly in our room except to sleep and shower so as long as it was clean, and it always was, we are happy. There are daily specials on drinks all the time and the bar tenders are attentive and fun. The one thing that really makes this trip stand out from all the other places we've been is the people, not just the staff or the island people but the visitors as well (not the cruisers) everyone was just there to enjoy themselves and so friendly. We came home with so many email addresses of friends we made. And when I talked to people on their second or third trip they said it's always like that. Even at the airport people from other resorts were saying good byes. I'm not sure what it is about Roatan but it was great and we are seriously considering returning next year, which we have never done. Thanks Bananarama for a fabulous vacation. We'll see you soon.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vanessa7978

Vanessa,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us for May Madness. We recently altered our packages a bit after listening to a couple of guest requests and I am really happy you had such a great time. Roatan is very magical and the islands people are one of the reasons we choose to buy here on Roatan. Our staff is amazing and goes out of their way to help guests, each other and even strangers. It is a wonderful place and we are so happy to share it with you. We look forward to your return and hope it is soon.

Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

Quirky setup, 2 star standard accommodation for 4 star price, no wardrobes or drawers whatsoever for your clothes. Great helpful staff, although restaurant/ bar service inattentive at times.

Super location, great free sunbed service. Could have done with a bit more entertainment of an evening.

Food was limited, mainly American style menu, fish and lobster great value but but lacked an international choice, the Caribbean Pearl is excellent, although pricy.

Not much reef left outside the hotel, however a short walk to the section from the jetty to the cliffs to the left looking out to sea is an area of quite nice coral, poor fish numbers and diversity but did see giant parrot fish and lobster.

The Resort revolves around the beach which gives quite a nice atmosphere. There is some nightlife although limited.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Diveboy09,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Yes prices in Roatan are quite high for amenities that require electric:) Our residential rate recently moved to .52cents per Kilowatt which is among the highest rates in the entire world. Up to 1/2 of the room rate depending upon the season or package actually goes to the electric company!!! I am really happy to hear you enjoyed our entertainment as we are the only resort offering nightly activities every night, but most things do shut down in West Bay by 9pm with the exception of the Thirsty Turtle which is open until midnight.

Thank you again for your comments and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

It's always about location when trying to find the best possible accommodation. Bananarama also has a bunch of wonderful staff who do everything in their power to ensure that your stay will be well,skilled and knowledgeable dive maters and competitive prices. Bananarama is a place for families and groups who want to combine diving with a relaxed beach life. This is not the place for those who want luxury stay. If you are looking for a place where you can relax and enjoy your holiday, this is the place. We started during the week before Easter and finished in the middle of Easter week. You can choose from many variations on how you want to spend the night depending on how large the group is and how much you want to pay per night. The beach is one of the best in Caribeean, and the best snorkeling opportunities can be found by going to the left of the resort. The diving is planned with two dives in the morning and 1 dive in the afternoon. In addition, it allows for night dives twice a week + "once in a lifetime" shark dive on the other side of the island. It is also possible to pay food and other things at the resort by credit card, so that one will not have to bring as much cash.

Before the Easter week it was still and quiet on the beach and not many people. In Easter week changed the place completely, as large amounts of local tourists came to vacation on the island. The only negetive was that the management of the place when trying to attract a younger audience, by fitting up a lot SPEAKERS monitors and playing loud hip-hop music. This was unsuccessful as they visited other resorts based on this audience. I hope they don,t repeat this, as Bananarama have many customers who come back year after year. We hope to be one of them.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ValoOslo
Bananarama03, Owner at Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

ValoOslo,

I deeply appreciate the time you have taken to share you experience with us and others. We are definitely not a luxury resort and our employees are truly our best asset:) We have a fun, funky caribbean vibe that we really don't want to go away. Most of our business is repeat guests/friends and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

My stay at Bananarama was exceptional! I came for the diving and wound up in the cabana closest to the on site dive operation (#1). My place was nothing fancy, but it lived up to all of my expectations, after all, all I did there was shower, change clothes, and sleep! It was kept very clean by a maid service that I never saw until the day I left, as they made it a point to clean while I was out diving. Victoria and Denise (office) were very helpful, answered all of my questions, gave me the lay of the resort, and even came by to check on me to make sure everything was to my liking. Bananarama is a beautiful resort, well maintained, secure, and clean. Everything I wanted was on site and there was no need to leave the property if I didn't want to. Most of the people that I met while there were return visitors, and all were very friendly. I certainly got my moneys worth and will be returning!

Room Tip: Cabanas 1 and 2 are right at the dive center.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank EatRunDive

EatRunDive,

That is one of the amazing things about being built literally on the beach:) Sand Sand Sand... I bet you even found some in your suitecases when you got back:) We look forward to having you back with us soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near West Bay
#4 of 14 in West Bay
Foster's West Bay
Foster's West Bay
#8 of 14 in West Bay

Been to Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort? Share your experiences!