“Hope to return soon!”

Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
Lancaster, PA
“Hope to return soon!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

We stayed May 24 to 31, 2014. This property was right up our alley! Very tropical rustic accommodations. A/C worked great and looked as if they were recently replaced. We don't dive but do a lot of snorkeling. Just a short walk down the beach is some of the best snorkeling we've seen in the Caribbean and it 's right off the beach! Great variety of reef fish. Breakfast was different every morning and if you didn't care for the main dish you could get a fresh fruit plate. We ate lunch and dinner on and off property. The prices are very reasonable. At the Thirsty Turtle bar the had 2 for 1 drink specials from 10am till noon. At happy hour $2 local beer and various drink specials. There is usually entertainment every night eg. Bands, music trivia, karaoke, and single acts. You can win bar credits playing music trivia. We thought the service was fantastic! We would especially like to thank Eddison, Albert, Wilson, Derry and Edgar! They were just great to deal with! The location of this property is perfect. You can walk in either direction for lunch or dinner and just a short water taxi from West End for shopping. The vendors on the beach were not pushy. If you're not interested in what they have to offer, a simple "no, no thank you" and they will say "your welcome" and move on. The sunsets are really good. We really loved this property and would return in a heartbeat! And yes, it's really laid back.

2 Thank sunfunbeer
Bananarama03, Owner at Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Sunbeerfun,

Thank you for the great pictures you posted and for sharing your experience here at the resort:) Our AC's are maintained by an onsite employee and they generally work as if new:) We are really happy you enjoyed our resort and are thankful for the feedback you have given us to improve. The rustic cabana with a hammock out front is how we pictured our caribbean paradise and are really happy you enjoy it too! The big concrete structures are beautiful and coming to Roatan very quickly... but we can find those in Cali or Florida anytime. The happy hours for lunch and dinner definitely help with the budget and we are really happy you enjoyed our food and service as well.
We aim to improve a little every year and we hope to see you again very soon.
Louis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
Mississauga
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

This was our second visit to Bananarama and it didn't disappoint.
The AA flights were quite pleasant, much better than anything Air Canada ever provides and we were met at the airport by Bananarama.
It was just like being back at a friend's place.
We stayed in Cabana #2 this year and it was great. Close to the dive shop and a bit away from the bar that lets you get to bed to get ready to dive.
The diving was again great. Even though we were here last year, we never dove one site this year that we dove last year, except for West End Wall that we requested. Marco is superb, along with his able admin person Mariella and all the dive team and captains. We dove mostly with Daniel and enjoyed him a lot. We dove a few times with Lanita and she was wonderful. Debi did a night dive with Zoe that was fabulous (best ever) but that was the only dive with her. She was around last year and helped Debi with some "floaty" issues. All good now. Thanks Zoe.
Food and service was great as always. Alex, Victor and all the bar and service staff were great.
Pizza is like we used to get at home.
Owners are around and are concerned about your stay. You don't get that at many places.
We'll be back next year.
Any vacation where I don't wear shoes/sandals, etc. the whole time is a great holiday in my books.

Room Tip: Cabanas are great.
1 Thank Frank3892
Frank,

We are so happy you enjoyed your second visit with us and are looking forward to the third! American Airlines has been a great addition to our islands air transport to and from North America. Hopefully in the near future they will expand additional locations and travel days to and from Roatan:)

I am really happy you enjoyed the diving and our staff!!! It has taken us a long time to find the perfect formula for our staff. We look forward to seeing you again soon and deeply thank you for your recommendation.
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed at Bananarama for a week; we purchased one of the packages that included food, a room, and 10 dives.

We stayed in cabana #6, which was lovely and perfect if you want to be a bit further away from the hustle and bustle of the beach and the dive shop. It has a king bed, microwave, fridge, coffee pot, alarm clock, and a small balcony. The only thing it didn't have was a hammock, but that didn't matter to us because the balcony was nice (great for drinking coffee in the morning before diving).

The resort itself was exactly what we wanted - unpretentious, friendly staff, beautiful beach, casual environment. It felt relaxed, safe, and happy!

The dive shop was great! They were very organized. The gear and boats were in good condition. The divemaster we had for the week (Zoe) was awesome - very enthusiastic, knowledgeable, and always trying to tailor the dive sites to the interests and experience of the group. We dove every morning at 8 am, got back to Bananarama about 12-1 p.m., had lunch, and spent the afternoons relaxing. Perfect. We had so much fun, we even ended up booking three extra dives, including a night dive. We would definitely dive with Bananarama again!

The only thing I would do differently is I don't think I would purchase the food package again. It's not that the food tasted bad, but it was very "American" - lots of cheese, deep-fried dishes, and things you'd find on American menus (burgers, pizza, taco salads, fries or chips with everything and mayo on everything). Not a lot of truly healthy options, and to make it trickier, I'm vegetarian and lactose intolerant, which left me with little choice. By the end of the week I would have died for something fresh and healthy. I think their best dishes were the rotating "typical" dishes (beans & rice, etc.) and the breakfasts.

2 Thank sheenaneedscoffee
WannabeNomadic,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and future guests. We greatly appreciate your comments and suggestions for improvement. We have worked very hard on our menu to freshen it up and have seen a great deal of changes over the last couple of seasons. We look forward to additional changes and I have to admit that the local dish is always amazing... you have to come early for lunch to get it though:) I am very happy to hear you enjoyed your experience with us and especially in the diveshop.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Lloydminster, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

Excellent place to stay and dive. Dive shop is top notch and professional. Marcos and everyone was great. Everything you need is right there. This was our first time staying on Roatan so we tried the restaurants up and down the beach. Ended up, Thirsty Turtle at Banarama had the best food. All the staff at the Thirsty Turtle were great but a special shout out to Victor. We look forward to meeting Victors girlfriend and little boy Jay Jay next time we are there. He went above and beyond. He helped me with my Spanish and we got to know all the staff and the experience was very personal and very friendly. We were up early every morning to go diving so early to bed but there was something going on every night, Karaoke, name that tune etc.. We will be going to Bananarama for our diving every year, this will be our pit stop before heading to Trujillo Bay on the mainland which is another beautiful area that everyone should experience.

Room Tip: Pick one of the individual cabanas. They are in the back in the trees. Only steps away from the beac...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Ken,

Thank you for your feedback and recommendation. Our diveshop which is the original diveshop in West Bay has been around for a long time and we are happy to have such amazing staff. Victor at the Thirsty Turtle is amazing... all most all of our staff is incredible and we are very blessed to have each and everyone of them.

Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to having you return to visit us very soon.
Bracebridge, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

This review is quite overdue.

This past Feb/Mar was our 3rd trip to Bananarama. We Love Bananarama!!

The rooms are in cottage type buildings and are quite comfortable with no more than 4 rooms to a building, so you are not staying in a hotel. This year we stayed for the majority of our time in unit 20 which is the unit we had on our first visit. The second year we stayed on the Island Pearl side in the studio. The rooms are in different area's of the resort, so depending on what you want, ie: to be near the action, away from the goings on in a quieter area, you can be accommodated. The maids are in every day and change your sheets, give you fresh towels and replenish your kitchenette supplies. (They also surprised us and did any dishes we'd left in the sink). The rooms have a microwave, water dispenser, fridge, plates, cups, glasses, cutlery and some rooms have small dressers. (Hopefully there will be a small one in the studio at Island Pearl for our next visit !! ).
We booked our hotel and air separately and our breakfast was included. The first year we ate the majority of our meals on site at the Thirsty Turtle. The cost of meals for the two of us for two weeks was approximately $400. The cost of the food is extremely reasonable. The second year we were there they had added the Pizza Oven. We ate a fair bit of pizza during the second stay and towards the end of this years visit discovered their calzones. OMG are they good!!!!!! (Purchase saran wrap or foil at the grocery store and wrap your leftovers for lunches).
When you eat at the Thirsty Turtle, make sure to sit in Adolpho's area. We call him Mr. Smiley and love this server. He is always smiling and this year helped me a bit with the little Spanish I've learned!

You can rent snorkel gear at the info/tour booth for the week at a very reasonable cost. Beach towels are not supplied, so bring your own or rent one from the booth.

There is usually some type of entertainment each night. The first two years we visited everything would be quiet by 10pm sharp. This was one of the things we liked about Bananarama. This year things went on some nights until after 11pm. We will keep this in mind for our next visit and stay further away from that area.

We were a little disappointed with one thing we witnessed. When the cruise ships are in port, the resort rents chairs to the cruisers. There were a couple of tourists from another part of the island, not from a cruise ship, who were sitting on the beach on their towels. (To the best of my knowledge, the entire beach is public property). In front of Bananarama on the public beach there is some shade from the trees. These two people were sitting in the shade. Some of the cruise ship people who had rented chairs wanted to sit in the shade. Security asked the two on towels to leave and they refused. Security then called Jeff, who explained that it was Bananarama property and advised them they had to leave. They eventually left, but were not happy. The explanation was that Bananarama provides security in the roped off area so people can leave their belongings when they go for a swim. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the security being visible when I am on the beach or in the laneway. I don't however believe it is correct to make two tourists leave a public area, because someone renting a chair wants to sit there. Too bad, the others were there first. Had I been thinking, I'd have given Bananarama the $20 price for chairs so the two could have remained there.

This disappointment aside, we love this resort. For the most part the staff is "very" friendly and will go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable. We have many friends at Bananarama and look forward to going back again to see them!!

(R.I.P. Zebby)

Room Tip: Island Pearl, a bit more expensive but in a quieter area. Garden rooms, in behind main area. Quiet...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chanceychelsey
ChanceyChelsey,

Thank you so much for your detailed review. We greatly appreciate your feedback and are always looking for ways to improve. Each time you come back we hope you have a bit better experience.

Next year we hope to have implemented some of your changes and will look forward to some more feedback:) Where would you put a dresser in 28? I will have to look and see if I can make that happen:)

It is true that the beach is public for the first 10 meters. After this 10 meters we do own/reserve the right for hotel guests/commercial space. We generally welcome everyone here at the resort and do not really have many problems on the beach with space. I will check into your comments and see if anyone remembers this problem, but my guess is that it was during busy season when the beach is extremely crowded and we were making room for our resort guests in our commercial space which can happen unfortunately in the busy part of the season... so many guests and only a limited amount of beach when the cruiseships show up. Guests from the cruiseships may sit in the public area at any time for free. They maybe asked to move their towels into the public area as well if space is needed in our commercial area... Our commercial area is raked, groomed, picked up after and secured by our resort staff and security which guests pay for when they rent beach chairs or are staying at the resort. The public area is patrolled by the municipal when they are available, cleaned and groomed by the resorts. We are not allowed to secure the public area which is where the vendors are and where most guests want to avoid due to the harassment from the local vendors who at times can become very aggressive. I would suggest that $10 for a chair that offers a groomed beach, security, bathrooms, showers and lockers for your possessions is not too out of line.... if you want to go to the public area that is great too... guests just have to be aware that in Honduras there is no bathrooms, security, showers, etc... that come with it. We happily clean the entire beach including the public areas everyday for everyone, but amenities for the resort are reserved for our guests.

Thank you again for your comments and I hope I have not been too long winded in my explanation. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

My husband and I just returned from seven wonderful days at Bananarama. We got the May Madness package which included all meals and 10 dives each. I can't say enough good things about our visit. First the diving was amazing. We saw so many fish, lobster, turtles and after we finished with one of our dives our boat caught up with a pod of 15-20 dolphins. Some were so close I thought they would touch me. Our instructor Zoe was such a fun loving person and made all our dives so comfortable. I only had a handful of dives under my belt before coming to this resort and not all of them were good but Zoe made our group feel so comfortable that I now feel much more confident of my diving skills. And since we were on the boat with the same group through all of our dives we also made friends. The food was good but a lot of it is fried so be prepared. We loved the pizza for lunch every day and fresh juice with breakfast was great too. Usually a fruit plate was on the menu as well as 1 or 2 other choices for breakfast. The Vintage Pearl was by far our best meals on the island. I don't know how they do it but their rib eye was so tender and juicy and the apple strudel is to die for. Music trivia on Tuesdays is a must, the energy of everyone that came out as well as the dj got everyone ready to party. The ocean was more like a warm crystal clear lake with hardly any waves so calm and relaxing to swim. The rooms are very rustic and could possibly use and update but we were hardly in our room except to sleep and shower so as long as it was clean, and it always was, we are happy. There are daily specials on drinks all the time and the bar tenders are attentive and fun. The one thing that really makes this trip stand out from all the other places we've been is the people, not just the staff or the island people but the visitors as well (not the cruisers) everyone was just there to enjoy themselves and so friendly. We came home with so many email addresses of friends we made. And when I talked to people on their second or third trip they said it's always like that. Even at the airport people from other resorts were saying good byes. I'm not sure what it is about Roatan but it was great and we are seriously considering returning next year, which we have never done. Thanks Bananarama for a fabulous vacation. We'll see you soon.

1 Thank vanessa7978
Vanessa,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us for May Madness. We recently altered our packages a bit after listening to a couple of guest requests and I am really happy you had such a great time. Roatan is very magical and the islands people are one of the reasons we choose to buy here on Roatan. Our staff is amazing and goes out of their way to help guests, each other and even strangers. It is a wonderful place and we are so happy to share it with you. We look forward to your return and hope it is soon.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

Quirky setup, 2 star standard accommodation for 4 star price, no wardrobes or drawers whatsoever for your clothes. Great helpful staff, although restaurant/ bar service inattentive at times.

Super location, great free sunbed service. Could have done with a bit more entertainment of an evening.

Food was limited, mainly American style menu, fish and lobster great value but but lacked an international choice, the Caribbean Pearl is excellent, although pricy.

Not much reef left outside the hotel, however a short walk to the section from the jetty to the cliffs to the left looking out to sea is an area of quite nice coral, poor fish numbers and diversity but did see giant parrot fish and lobster.

The Resort revolves around the beach which gives quite a nice atmosphere. There is some nightlife although limited.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Diveboy09,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Yes prices in Roatan are quite high for amenities that require electric:) Our residential rate recently moved to .52cents per Kilowatt which is among the highest rates in the entire world. Up to 1/2 of the room rate depending upon the season or package actually goes to the electric company!!! I am really happy to hear you enjoyed our entertainment as we are the only resort offering nightly activities every night, but most things do shut down in West Bay by 9pm with the exception of the Thirsty Turtle which is open until midnight.

Thank you again for your comments and we hope to see you again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near West Bay
#5 of 14 in West Bay
Foster's West Bay
Foster's West Bay
#8 of 14 in West Bay

Been to Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort? Share your experiences!