“Island Paradise” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
ontario, canada
“Island Paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2010

Just got back from Bananarama Feb 8th 2010. We had a fantastic time, weather was perfect this place was the best we've been to.
Dianne and Ann sorted out our room in cabana No.2 and we were all set for the vacation for 2010.
We met Karolena at the first breakfast and she became our personal waitress for the week, she attended to all our food and drinks, Karolena thanks for your hospitality.
The bar staff "super" Puma, Tim and Scott fixed the best CocoLoco's we've ever had, not to mention the rum and beer.
The Vintage Pearl is definitely a 5 star with Endy the cooking genius, the lobster and steak were wonderful.
Guy and Phil the owners were always up and about at dawn and working on improving the hotel, they never stopped but they always found time to say hello to all their guests.
The dive crew are really incredible, Sophia, Mal, Martin, Marco as divemasters are excellent, Marco was my main divemaster and he gave me my best diving I have ever taken, including the biggest challenge (Texas). The boat captain Kiko saved my camera. To the divers that accompanied me, Ken, Tim, Sarah, Stephan, Ben and the Winnipeg crew, it was a pleasure and I hope we can do it again.
The "Peg" guys, Henry, Tamara, John, Shelly, and their friends Renee and Tim. We had a great time with you guys and will keep in touch.
The beach is exactly as it's shown in the pictures, except when your there it's your own piece of paradise.
Louise took care of our bookings and kept in touch right up to the day before we flew, you don't get that kind of service from a travel agent.
I know I will have missed thanking someone there, but if you are looking for peace and realxation, without having to be dressed up, ( no shoes, no shirt, no problem) this is the place to go to.
Roy & Linda
Ontario, Canada

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank tech29

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2010

After finding Bananrama online, my husband and I booked our trip to go to Roatan to learn how to dive. We found the resort charmingly rustic, peaceful with a lazy island pace. The dive shop and staff there were professional, confidence inspiring, courteous, friendly and knowledgeable. As new divers we (mostly I) had a bit of anxiety to overcome but our instructor Martin was patient, knowledgeable and most of all, skilled at adapting the coursework to our individual needs. We proudly mastered all of the tasks in the wonderful one on one instruction environment we were provided and are now both certified open water PADI divers! As educators ourselves, we both immediately recognized the quality instruction that Martin provided us and we highly recommend him as a teacher and dive master. The resort staff was wonderful, especially the ever present owners who were constantly available and working hard to ensure a pleasant stay. Our private cabana was all we needed and we found the amenities and housekeeping to be perfect for us and our stay. We can't wait to return as there is so many more dive sites to explore! The reef there is spectacular with a never ending supply of exotic and beautiful marine life to discover. Roatan and Bananrama was all we were hoping for and more! The vacation of a lifetime!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank shoelu
El Paso, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2010

Just got back from Bananama. It was my second visit there (the first was in March 2008). Fortunately, not much has changed and it is still a terrific hot spot! I stayed in the cabana above the owner's residence #6 and it was perfect (no TV, phone or noise; A/C, hot water, deck). All of the rooms are close to the beach so you are a 2 minute walk to the pristine crystal clear water of the Caribbean. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The Caribbean Creamery coffee shop is now open adjacent to the restaurant and offers coffee, tea, pastries, smoothies, etc. The food at the outdoor beach bar and restaurant is consistently good and reasonably priced.

The hotel is an eco-resort and so their is a conscientious effort to conserve water and other natural resources.

In many cases, the owners of this hotel resort donate to the local people and causes to give back to the community. This is not commonplace and you can see the local's appreciation for this in their attitude and behavior.

With the governmental changes in Honduras, the US State Department had advised against travel to Honduras. You have to remember that Roatan is part of Honduras almost like Puerto Rico is akin to the U.S. It is so far isolated that is VERY safe to visit there!

The bottom line - travel to Roatan is very safe and the island is full of great people and culture, as highlighted by my return stay at Bananama. Pack your bags and it's on!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2010

I've been to West Bay Beach on Roatan 3 times in the past year. I've stayed at 2 different hotel/resorts, and it's Bananarama that I returned to this January, and will return to each time I go. I have also met many people who were staying at other places, and I've been to see most of them.

If you enjoy social interaction more than (or at least just as much as) finding your little private space to hide away from the other vacationers, then Bananarama is the place for you. There are more independant travellers staying there, and it's also where the local expats hang out during the day on the beach and at the bar in the evenings. And most people who are staying at the other resorts will make their way to the Thirsty Turtle Bar at least once. You will always meet interesting people, and of course the staff are absolutely wonderful. I found that at the other resorts that I visited (which most are all-inclusive), that couples and families mostly stuck to themselves, and it was generally much more quiet and isolated feeling. At Bananarama you had both options ... find a quiet spot to yourself or hang out with everyone else.

The rooms are fairly basic, but exceptionally clean. And I personally enjoyed the more authentic rustic feel of the rooms ... no frills but everything you need. There are many different types of rooms to choose from, so you should be able to find something that will work for comfort levels and your budget. My favourites are the Beach Side Rooms because they're closer to the beach and the action. If you want luxury, then I totally recommend splurging on a Beach Front Pearl Villa ... spacious, gorgeous, and overlooking a quiet spot on the beach! (I've written a seperate review for my 3-night stay there).

Another reason that I love Bananarama is that they truly care about the environment and marine ecosystem. They are making positive changes every year, and are setting a wonderful example for the other hotels on the beach. They also do a lot of fundraising for different local charities.

But for me personally, this is a major factor in my decision to stay here (besides all of the fun I always have!) .... I love that this is a smaller family run business and not a large conglomerate mostly interested in their quarterly returns. The owners are there, working hard every day, and making sure that you are happy and taken care of. I believe in supporting small business, and after getting to know this fun and wholesome family, I see no better place to spend my money.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank RoatanBubbles
Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2010

Best snorkeling ever experienced in our many trips to the Caribbean! Took a tour with Ella to see what we were missing.....nothing! West Bay is the place to be! And Bananarama is the place to stay if you're looking for a casual, cultural, and relaxing experience. While the cabins have all kitchen ammenties necessary, except for morning coffee, why not enjoy the restaurant with your feet in the sand, great view, and 2 for 1 daily specials? (We had no issue with the sand flees that many have talked about.) The staff is exceptional, as are the owners/proprietors who will meet your every need, and Mario will arrange any excursions of interest on site with ease. While I like to go by boat with a guide for snorkeling, my husband took the kayak out 100 yards several times a day for the best reef and fish viewing ever experienced. West End for shopping is a 10 minute, $3.00 water taxi ride. Be sure and go to "hole in the wall" for all you can eat lobster and beef on Sunday, and then back for the firedancers from Guifano on the beach, supporting the local orphanage. Yes, the cruise ships do land, but Bananarama has tables and a tower bar area reserved for guests only during that time. Hey, business is business, and Honduras needs all they can get, as do the familys and local concerns that Bananarama supports. Sunset cruise on New Year's was a memorable event. Oh, and did I mention the beach massage!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank pamandDRJ
Tampa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2010

I just got back from my first trip to Honduras and Roatan and had the most amazing time. My girlfriend and I flew into San Pedro Sula then took a cab to La Ceiba (take a cab to the $5 bus terminal next time). From La Ceiba we took the ferry over to Roatan in the morning. The ferry terminal has great food and coffee. The ride is beautiful and really relaxing. A great time to catch a nap.

Once you get to Roatan you take a cab from the terminal over to West Bay where we stayed at the awesome Bananarama Dive and Resort. This is what you think of when you think of going to a Caribbean island resort. It is a moderate resort. This is not the lap of luxury middle of the strip conglomerate waste of money resort. They have immaculately kept grounds. It is nestled in the beach side trees and has lots of shade and winding walk ways. I do not know what others posting are looking for but if you want to feel like you are at a tropical get away then stay at the Bananarama. If you want to feel like you are at any other hotel anywhere in the world surrounded by concrete and run of the mill niceties then go somewhere else and stop complaining. The beds are comfortable as are the pillows. The rooms are clean. Why are you spending so much time in bed in such an amazing place any way? You get up early and head out for so much fun and things to see and do you come back and fall into bed to a beautiful deep sleep in an air conditioned room with nice touches of comfort. We had a dolphin suite with a loft and another bedroom and a bath. They have clean water in the rooms, 2 ac units that are not loud and provide great cool air. You have another futon sofa for more places to stay. I took a great nap on the hammocks they provide on all their porches. You step out to look at the ocean and the tranquil hillsides. They have a great bar right on the beach with plenty of tables on a deck for having your breakfast/lunch/dinner. The staff is super friendly and always accommodating. The office workers and dive shop members are attentive and helpful. The owner is a terrific "Guy" (Pun intentded). The water is so clear and the second largest reef in the world is like 100 feet off shore. They provide free single and double kayaks for you and you can just row right out to the reef and take amazing pictures. You do not have to snorkel or dive to see these beautiful reefs and fish. FOR FREE! The water is so nice and the beach is clean and raked every morning. They provide free beach chairs and have everything you need on property. They have terrific local gifts and buys, ice cream parlor and bake shop. A bar restaurant that makes amazing food. The coconut shrimp were big and tasty. The breading is so sweet and tasty. The burger was delicious and all the fries and fresh hand cut and amazing. The pina coladas are so cold and flavorful. Not some canned mix. They use fresh ingredients and it shows. The daily drink specials and food specials make it easy to have a great meal and time for cheap compared to other places. They are right in the most vibrant area of West Bay and only a 10 minute water taxi ride to West End for some other fine restaurants and shopping.

West End has a main road area with shop after shop and restaurant/bar after one another. They have almost every type of food you could look for. It is a great place to stumble around. The Lobster Pot is as everyone has said amazing. Arrive for a later dinner after having some drinks at the quaint shanty bars on the beaches or shopping in West End then enjoy one of the most amazing meals of your trip. You will love it. The coconut bread and lime/lemon pie are delicious (and free). They have a fresh catch fish of the day and believe me it is fresh. The broiled lobster tail is big and tasty. You will love eating here.

Roatan is a great place to go and has so much to see and do. There is canopy tours on zip lines, animal parks, beaches, shopping, snorkeling, diving... everything you could want to do on a beach island in the tropical Caribbean. I am definitely going back, will stay at Bananarama, and will make this a trip multiple times per year. It is that amazing.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BoiledPNutz
Tampa, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2010

We flew to Roatan for the weekend for our first time. I am a frequent traveler and Roatan is now tied for 1st as my favorite place to go. The Bananarama resort was amazing, our room was clean and comfortable with good airconditioners and hot showers. We stayed in the dolphin room with the loft and it was ideal for us. The hotel bar made amazing pina coladas with fresh pinapple, 2 for $5. The coconut shrimp they made were the best I have ever had. The owners and staff are friendly and very helpful. The free kayak rental was a definite plus as the reef is right off shore, you see so much just kayaking. I cannot wait to go again, the Bananarama will always be our first choice on the island.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
#5 of 14 in West Bay
Foster's West Bay
Foster's West Bay
#9 of 14 in West Bay

Been to Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort? Share your experiences!