Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
Reviewed 23 March 2010

WE have stayed twice at Bananarama. WE love the people that run it--family and friends from Idaho. It is very casual (not fancy) with a stunning sunset view. We stay in a cabin with porch, air conditioning, small fridge, water cooler, daily maid service, etc. They treat you like family. We just love it there.

1  Thank HelenCoe
Write a ReviewReviews (1,292)

Reviewed 22 March 2010

We stayed here for three nights and loved the location and atmosphere of the hotel. Very laid back and casual. We stayed in a garden queen and it was ok. The room is large but the bathroom is small and outdated. The bed is comfortable but the sheets should be replaced as they were "pilly." We stayed on the lower level and the walls are thin so we could hear the people above us. We never met the owners. We used the free kayaks which was very nice. Breakfast was ok, the food was nothing special. We also had dinner at the Island Pearl, which is good, but expensive and they included a suggested 18% gratuity on the bill but then asked if we wanted to change it, which puts you on the spot and is awkward. Even at top restaurants in NYC they don't include an 18% service charge on the bill unless you have a certain number in your group and if they do, they don't stand there and ask you if you want to change the tip. The service at the dive shop is great, knowledgeable dive masters and great diving, however, the cost of the dive is higher than in Utila because they charge you separately for the dive and the scuba equipment. Prior to arriving at the hotel, the service was excellent as all my questions were answered in a timely manner. Upon arrival, the receptionist was not personable. Also we requested a taxi to the airport at 5:10am and the day we left no taxi was there. There is no one around at that time and no way to contact anyone so we were stranded without a cab to the airport. Our cab finally arrived at 5:45 am and said that Banarama told him to arrive at 5:45 not 5:10. We still made it to our flight but waiting around not knowing how we were going to get to the airport on time was unnecessarily stressful. GIven the choices of hotels on West Bay, I would recommend this hotel for the value and location. Also they bus in cruise ship guests at the hotel which is a bit annoying given the limited beach area in front of the hotel. We ended up moving our beach chairs to the hotel next door.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Frances L
Reviewed 21 March 2010

I used to go to a different location every time I traveled, but I am stuck on Roatan! I've been to several islands in the Caribbean, but none compare to Roatan & Bananrama is my hotel of choice. If you don't need fancy, it is an amazing and exotic place to enjoy the 2nd largest barrier reef in the world. The location of the resort is amazing. You just walk out into the 80 degree turquoise waters and put your face in the water for the most eye popping underwater experience on the planet. The snorkeling and diving is breathtaking, but even if you just want to chill on the beach, you will love it. I am going for the 5th time this summer, and every time I go, I stay longer because I never want to leave. The owners and staff make you feel like family. The divemasters are all wonderful, but my favorite is Marco. It is not a 5 star resort, but what a value for the price! One summer I did Hawaii first, came home and did Roatan a few days later. I've never returned to Hawaii, and I can't get enough of Roatan. The water temp is about 12 degrees warmer than Hawaii, plus Roatan is about 30 years behind Hawaii in modernization. Bananarama is a place for people who enjoy tropical weather, snorkeling, diving, kayaking, shopping for hand crafted ethnic stuff, great restaurant experiences, and just chilling on the beach. I almost forgot to say that a short water taxi ride takes you to Rudy's Smoothies where you can get the best smoothie in the universe. There are numerous great places to eat, but one of the best places is Bananarama. My personal favorite is their coconut shrimp with pina colada sauce, but they have a smoker and all their smoked food is also delicious. You will love Bananarama!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank JILOA
Reviewed 20 March 2010

The Bananarama Resort was magnificent!!! The Villas are tucked away in an island oasis created by Guy, Phil and the most friendly staff you could ever imagine!! The villas were clean and our housekeeper, who's name I can't remember, was there everyday making sure everything was perfect! The villas are surrounded by sand so this was not an easy task keeping things clean. Breakfast was prepared and served each morning by the friendly wait staff and Karolina made certain everyone was well fed and ready for the day!!!
We witnessed the most beautiful wedding on the beach!!!

The snorkeling and diving in Roatan were incredible!!! It was a great getaway!!!

My wife and I will definitely be back to Bananarama!!!!

Thanks to everyone at the Bananarama Resort!!! We love ya!!!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BestAquatic
Reviewed 17 March 2010

This is my 3rd year going to Roatan and staying at Bananarama. The owners, Guy & Tina and a great many of their staff (Caroleena(special person), Jessica, Vilma, Tim, Puma) really went out of their way to make sure that we had everything we needed to have a great time. I can't say enough about the staff that Guy & Tina have employed there. I know that Iv'e left some out (not on purpose) but I came home from my vacation with a few less brain cells than I started with. It happened to be my birthday while we were there, and I was completely suprised(ambushed is more like it!) with a huge home made birthday cake. Delicious too. There was enough cake me and my friends, and plenty enough for me to be able to give a piece to every staff member working and many of the guest that were nearby that evening. I didn't feel any older, just kind of special. I know, kind of mushy. Anyway, a good time was had by all. Thanks to everyone at Bananarama, Island Pearl, and The Thirsty Turtle. See you next year!!!!!!!!!!!!

1  Thank outboardjohn
Reviewed 16 March 2010

this was my 2nd trip to roatan. the first time i went i ended up spending all my time at bananarama's restaurant/bar since it's right on the beach so i stayed right at the resort this time. i really couldn't come up with anything to complain about if i tried. i stayed in several different rooms while i was there this time and all of them were nice and clean with balconies and hammocks, air conditioning, refrigerators. bananarama's situated directly on the most beautiful beach on the island and i literally never wanted to leave to go anywhere else. everybody is extremely friendly, guests and staff alike. throughout the week the bartenders and servers get to know you and all the guests quickly become friends, snorkeling and having dinner together. i'm one more visit away from never going back home!

Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 March 2010

We had the best time at Bananaarma The staff was the best! The service was good Puma Tim Scott Wilma At the Thirsty Turtle keep us very Happy. The watters were great the food was good. We were their for 14 day. Martine At the dive shop saved my trip. Frist dive in a year got water in my nose freked out a little and could not get down Martine came to my aid got me settled down Had a great time and went on two more dives thanks Martine! Third trip and it just keeps geting better.

Also consider these accommodations in or near West Bay
Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort
Foster's West Bay
Foster's West Bay
#8 of 14 in West Bay

Been to Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort? Share your experiences!