“Mostly Good”

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
Georgina, Canada
“Mostly Good”
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

My wife and 3 teenagers went to to the Mayan Princess from March 24-31 and for the most part had a great time. We were in rooms 121 & 220.
I'll start with the cons, 4 out of 7 days there we had issues with no hot water or no water pressure or a combination of the 2. Each time we called I will say that they got it working within 20-30 mins.
Next issue was getting drinks in our room fridge. Sunwing said it was part of our premium pkg. When we arrived fridges were empty, which was no big deal just go to front desk & ask right, well this is where it got weird & annoying. When I asked front desk they said it is included with premium pkg just go to bar and ask. Ok fine thought they'd handle it but no problem I went to the bar. So I asked for a water 2 pop & 2 beer for my wife & I and for our 3 teenagers I asked for 3 water and 3 pop, so the bartender called Mario over and told him, Mario told me no, your not vip, so I said that we paid for premium, & the sunwing site shows we get it and I had just asked the front desk and they had told me I just had to come here & request it. No its not included he said then a woman behind the bar said to him that yes I do get it and asked me what I wanted & our room numbers so I told her and thanked her. But it never came! Thats treating me like an idiot, it was telling me only what I wanted to hear to get me to go away. Next day I went back to the front desk and asked again they told me again just go to bar so I told them what happened so then the front desk said they'd take care of it, thank you I said & thought this would be fixed. Nope still nothing!!! Then I saw Claudio our sunwing rep which reading other reviews on here a lot of people didn't like & I thought this isn't going to help either. He was great!!!! Told him what was going on & that I know its something minor but its something I want & that I've paid for. He had it fixed that day & rest of the week I didn't have to ask. Rest of the week we were brought more than we even wanted. This is something every all - inclusive offers, in every resort my wife and I have been to. 2 people to a room you get 2 water, 2 pop, 2 beer. 3 people to a room it's 3 each. This is a simple thing to just do for your customers and the system they have now doesn't work. Employees aren't sure who's suppose to get it & who doesn't. Lastly is what goes on, on the beach. On cruise ship days the amount of extra people on the resort wasn't as bad as I read it would be the staff at the Mayan were very much on top of it. It was the merchants selling things from sunglasses, souvenirs, massages, etc. All the resorts there need to get together & figure something out because your customers are being harassed beyond anything I've ever seen!!! People can't relax you're non stop harassed to buy sunglasses, hair braiding, and massages. The merchants selling trips or souvenirs with stands are fine they're not harassing your customers trying to RELAX on the amazing beach that we've all paid a lot of $$$ to be there. Then when I did buy massages for our 3 daughters I fight almost broke out between the women giving the massages over who was going to give them the massages, all of us felt very uncomfortable and if I hadn't told my daughters I was getting them a massages prior to this event I would've walked away. The hair braiding women harassed our teens so much that they decided even if it was free they wouldn't get it done & for the rest of the week would try any trick they could think of to avoid them!!! Should your customers trying to relax & enjoy your beautiful country be subjected to this? The level of harassment reminded me of mexico with 1 exception mexican resorts don't allow them on the resorts or the beaches in front of their resorts. Or make them set up stands & allow vacationers to go to them not asked over & over non stop all day to buy something!! Lastly stop watering down your liquor!!!
The Pro's to this resort- Claudio the sunwing rep at the resort was a great help & was great helping us in choosing our excursions, we went to Gumbalimba Park & to the animal sanctuary Little French Key Island both were great & recommend them. Our rooms were very nice & Ms Fuentes did a great job keeping our rooms clean & tidy & her creative towel art was great. Also my wife and I were quite worried that our room & our kids room wouldn't be next to each other because when we booked this vacation sunwing told our travel agent no guarantees & that probably wouldn't happen. When we arrived Mayan Princess, had read our request and placed us next to each other, that was greatly appreciated thank you. The majority of the staff are great & go out of there way to get you whatever you want or need. Samuel & a young fellow, who's name escapes me, ( my apologies) but he looks to be youngest server on this resort were great and always did their best for us & their best was very good and greatly appreciated.
The pool and grounds are incredible, very beautiful & immaculate definitely best grounds I've ever seen at a resort, the beach is incredibly well kept. I've also read some complaints about the food and lack of choices, I'm definitely a picky eater and I thought the food was great and considering this is a small resort had an adequate amount of different choices of food, and everything we ate was cooked perfectly & very tasty. Lastly but certainly not least is the snorkeling at the wall or along the reef is absolutely incredible the amount of tropical fish and different species is unbelievable, truly an amazing experience. Ultimately my family had a good vacation and I thank Mayan Princess for this experience. I would recommend this resort to anyone, only advice would be to do excursions on cruise ship days to avoid the harassment on the beach. If the Mayan can figure something out to deal with the merchants on cruise ship days this resort could be a 5 star resort easily.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Andrew M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Toronto
Reviewed 5 April 2014

The Mayan Princess was a lovely surprise. Not very big, but very cosy! We loved the fact that there was no crowds to conquer for space around the lovely pool or for a chair on the pristine white beach. The buffet was small-ish, but everything was wonderfully tasty. The staff was very friendly and very helpful. We booked the two-bedroom pool-view rooms and it was very roomy and clean. We had a kitchen+dining+sittingroom area we did not expect and a lovely veranda. The vegetation is so lush and very well-kept. I like that it was clean and maintained well. The only thing I have gripes about, is the towel-policy. You get a towel card, for a towel at the beach, and if you loose it (or someone takes it off your chair!!!) you have to pay $50! Yikes!! Mayan divers are wonderful. The diving in Roatan is my absolute favourite, only second to the Red Sea.

Room Tip: We booked with Sunwing, and we did not really have a choice on the location of the room. We liked ou...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Janeth T, Manager at Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Thank you so much for your review. It's great to know how much you enjoy everything about our resort. Our friendly staff on resort do their best to make everyone feel at home. It’s good to hear that they made your stay even better. We appreciate your feedback. It helps with our improvement process.
We hope to see you and friends again.
Mokena, Illinois
Reviewed 4 April 2014

My husband and I just returned from a week at the Las Sirenas, the sister property of the Mayan Princess. I must say that the resorts are so close and easily accessed we never felt as though it was a seperate property. The rooms were very clean and the beds were quite comfy. There was never a problem getting a drink. The staff was fantastic and helpful especially Julia, Darwin, Fernando and Yeni. The food at the buffet was flavorful and there was always a good variety. We ate at 2 of the resorts other restaurants, Kalkettes and the Sam Simone beach club and both were delicious. I was pleasantly surprised with the Filet Mignon, one of the best filets Ive ever had. The resort is beautiful, the beach is beautiful. All in all it was a great week.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ssimanis
We really appreciate you posting about your great stay at the resort. Providing excellent customer service is very important to us and It is always our pleasure to serve. It's awesome to know how much you enjoyed the beach, food, and our resort in general =)
Thank you so much for your review and we hope to see you again.
Latham, United States
Reviewed 30 March 2014

When you walk onto the property you will immediately feel tranquility. The pool is beautiful, not to mention the perfect sand and clarity of water!

Glenda, Johan (Joey), DeMara, and so many other staff members made our stay enjoyable! The rooms were clean and extremely spacious. The food was good. I felt very safe!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Janeth T, Manager at Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Thank you so much for your great and kind review. We appreciate it. It seems you had a great time at the resort and that we were able to meet your expectations. We hope to see you again.
Enjoy your day.
Whitby, Canada
Reviewed 27 March 2014

The Mayan Princess is on the most beautiful stretch of beach in Roatan. The pool is an oasis and the staff are amazing! The only negative thing that I could say is that on the days that the cruise ships come into port, the " day - trippers" from the cruise are like cockroaches taking over the beach, the pool areas and everything else imaginable.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Charity H
Janeth T, Manager at Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort, responded to this review, 29 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review us. We appreciate it. It's great to know that our staff was able to make your vacation so enjoyable. It looks that you enjoyed a lot our pool, grounds, and beach. We hope to see you and friends again. Enjoy your day.
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We have just returned from a one week all-inclusive stay at the Mayan Princess, Roatan. This is a beautiful, cozy, classy, friendly, safe, welcoming resort. It all began with the extremely efficient help of a Sunwing Rep named Catherine - she is the best at getting you to the resort best suited for you. The meals were very good at the buffet which was relocated to the beach for dinner on Sat night - fantastic! We also ate in the al a carte Luna Maya - you must try this - excellent. Drinks are very good and plentiful! Our room was an upgrade to 'the tower'. It was very comfortable, but bring your own blow dryer, there arent any in the rooms. The pool was nice, however we spent our time on the beach. There is a lot more shade on the beach - and you will want shade. We met many wonderful people who work at this resort and they put so much effort into making your stay an enjoyable one. Lany Romero was constantly checking on us, making sure we had whatever we needed. Including serving our drinks to us on the beach. We sat near the towel and umbrella stand on the beach where we were assisted by Rufino Fisher. He was fantastic. He would re-arrange our umbrella when the sun dictated and watched over our things when we'd go for a little swim. PS. He likes Iced Tea if you get the chance. Glenda Collins, supervisor, was always checking with us to ensure things were going well. Kudos to Glenda as well. We went snorkeling - amazing snorkeling to be found here. Played a round of golf on the most beautiful course with an ocean view. Take a couple of buns with you when you go swimming in the ocean, the Palmetto fish come along and you can hand feed them - so cool. The beach can be busy as cruise ships are visiting regularly, but the extra bodies did not interfere with our amenities at the Mayan. You can't drink the water here, bottled water is provided. Montezuma's Revenge also made itself known to some of our group. There is a little shop at the resort that sells Gatorade - we had been told to try it for people not feeling well - it helped a lot. Pack your Immodium. Take a small flashlight as well. There are regular power outages - they are short-lived. Also, lots of small US currency will help with tipping. Overall, we had a really relaxing, enjoyable vacation. Staff is excellent, food is above average, accommodations are very comfortable.

Room Tip: We liked the tower rooms. Private entrance and private balcony. Rooms not in the tower share a door...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Roseville, Minnesota
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Others seemed to have had a tough time getting the room type that they were promised but our family got exactly the room we booked. The staff was very attentive and the rooms were very clean. We had a great second-floor view. We only had the breakfast buffer, which was good. We almost always ate our other meals at other restaurants -- and there are many within walking distance along the beach. We also signed up for a dive package at Mayan Divers and they were also excellent. Friendly people and great diving -- and much better equipment than we had in either Belize or Cozumel. I highly recommend the Mayan Princess and Mayan Divers.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Howard C
Janeth T, Manager at Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort, responded to this review, 30 March 2014
Thank for sharing your wonderful experience at Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort and with The Mayan Divers. We strive to offer the best in service with a friendly, relaxing environment and it’s great that this was the case during your stay. We hope to see you and your family again.
Enjoy your day.