“yuck”

Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Sorry to be such a downer, but I am completely disappointed in this place. I paid more than most of the other resorts with the expectation that the service would be worth it. Starting out with the reservations, going through the I internet, with a quote and availability check. Got, then made my flight reservations. As soon as I did that, I called the hotel to confirm eveything. THEN they said they had no rooms. Why why you have to plug in your check in and out dates, would it come back with a quote for those dates if no rooms were available?? After some conversations, they found a room. The problem, is, my whole trip I feel like I have to complain before I get basic service. That starts to feel pretty icky, as that is not the trip vibe I wanted. When I checked in I asked that they have my bag brought to the room so I could check in at the dive center. 1 hour later, it had not moved. They never told me about any excursions that i might want to do or what meals looked like with my all inclusive rate, I just had to keep walking around asking. Kind of annoyed with things, decided on night two to have a mojito.....sorry out of luck, ok, then, how about a mai tai...sorry, out of luck.....

i could go on but i wont. In the end, i don' t mind the level of service, if I weren't paying for it. It is no way justfied. On another note, dive shop folks were friendly and we're very accomodating.

I would not recommend this place.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank levirachel
Janeth T, Manager at Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2014

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused during the booking process before your stay. It seems we were experiencing some communication challenges and have since been able to address and correct these errors. Our goal is always to ensure that we are providing the best in both service and quality; from booking all the way to check-in and check-out. Therefore, your feedback helps with our improvement process.
We thank you for your review and hope to welcome you back for a stay that will exceed your expectations in the future.
Enjoy your day.

Reviewed 12 April 2014

I had never even heard of Roatan let alone the Mayan Princess, however when I was offered a last minute trip with a friend, I had no idea I would be going to such an amazing resort. The staff was fantastic and the rooms were perfect. I can not find a single fault with this resort. The food was to die for especially the Mayan Seafood Soup I had at one of my ala carte dinners. I would recommend the Mayan Princess to anyone. My rooms booked to go back in 6 months from now and I can't wait!!!!!

Room Tip: One bedroom poolside garden was the room that I had and I loved it. The king rooms have a king bed b...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Aurora E

We are so thrilled to hear that you had such an amazing vacation with us. It's great that we were able to meet your expectations. We are so happy to read how much you enjoyed our delicious food and your stay at the resort. It's great to know that we are going to see you again in a couple of months.
Thank you for your excellent review and we can't wait to see you again.
Enjoy your day!

Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

My wife and 3 teenagers went to to the Mayan Princess from March 24-31 and for the most part had a great time. We were in rooms 121 & 220.
I'll start with the cons, 4 out of 7 days there we had issues with no hot water or no water pressure or a combination of the 2. Each time we called I will say that they got it working within 20-30 mins.
Next issue was getting drinks in our room fridge. Sunwing said it was part of our premium pkg. When we arrived fridges were empty, which was no big deal just go to front desk & ask right, well this is where it got weird & annoying. When I asked front desk they said it is included with premium pkg just go to bar and ask. Ok fine thought they'd handle it but no problem I went to the bar. So I asked for a water 2 pop & 2 beer for my wife & I and for our 3 teenagers I asked for 3 water and 3 pop, so the bartender called Mario over and told him, Mario told me no, your not vip, so I said that we paid for premium, & the sunwing site shows we get it and I had just asked the front desk and they had told me I just had to come here & request it. No its not included he said then a woman behind the bar said to him that yes I do get it and asked me what I wanted & our room numbers so I told her and thanked her. But it never came! Thats treating me like an idiot, it was telling me only what I wanted to hear to get me to go away. Next day I went back to the front desk and asked again they told me again just go to bar so I told them what happened so then the front desk said they'd take care of it, thank you I said & thought this would be fixed. Nope still nothing!!! Then I saw Claudio our sunwing rep which reading other reviews on here a lot of people didn't like & I thought this isn't going to help either. He was great!!!! Told him what was going on & that I know its something minor but its something I want & that I've paid for. He had it fixed that day & rest of the week I didn't have to ask. Rest of the week we were brought more than we even wanted. This is something every all - inclusive offers, in every resort my wife and I have been to. 2 people to a room you get 2 water, 2 pop, 2 beer. 3 people to a room it's 3 each. This is a simple thing to just do for your customers and the system they have now doesn't work. Employees aren't sure who's suppose to get it & who doesn't. Lastly is what goes on, on the beach. On cruise ship days the amount of extra people on the resort wasn't as bad as I read it would be the staff at the Mayan were very much on top of it. It was the merchants selling things from sunglasses, souvenirs, massages, etc. All the resorts there need to get together & figure something out because your customers are being harassed beyond anything I've ever seen!!! People can't relax you're non stop harassed to buy sunglasses, hair braiding, and massages. The merchants selling trips or souvenirs with stands are fine they're not harassing your customers trying to RELAX on the amazing beach that we've all paid a lot of $$$ to be there. Then when I did buy massages for our 3 daughters I fight almost broke out between the women giving the massages over who was going to give them the massages, all of us felt very uncomfortable and if I hadn't told my daughters I was getting them a massages prior to this event I would've walked away. The hair braiding women harassed our teens so much that they decided even if it was free they wouldn't get it done & for the rest of the week would try any trick they could think of to avoid them!!! Should your customers trying to relax & enjoy your beautiful country be subjected to this? The level of harassment reminded me of mexico with 1 exception mexican resorts don't allow them on the resorts or the beaches in front of their resorts. Or make them set up stands & allow vacationers to go to them not asked over & over non stop all day to buy something!! Lastly stop watering down your liquor!!!
The Pro's to this resort- Claudio the sunwing rep at the resort was a great help & was great helping us in choosing our excursions, we went to Gumbalimba Park & to the animal sanctuary Little French Key Island both were great & recommend them. Our rooms were very nice & Ms Fuentes did a great job keeping our rooms clean & tidy & her creative towel art was great. Also my wife and I were quite worried that our room & our kids room wouldn't be next to each other because when we booked this vacation sunwing told our travel agent no guarantees & that probably wouldn't happen. When we arrived Mayan Princess, had read our request and placed us next to each other, that was greatly appreciated thank you. The majority of the staff are great & go out of there way to get you whatever you want or need. Samuel & a young fellow, who's name escapes me, ( my apologies) but he looks to be youngest server on this resort were great and always did their best for us & their best was very good and greatly appreciated.
The pool and grounds are incredible, very beautiful & immaculate definitely best grounds I've ever seen at a resort, the beach is incredibly well kept. I've also read some complaints about the food and lack of choices, I'm definitely a picky eater and I thought the food was great and considering this is a small resort had an adequate amount of different choices of food, and everything we ate was cooked perfectly & very tasty. Lastly but certainly not least is the snorkeling at the wall or along the reef is absolutely incredible the amount of tropical fish and different species is unbelievable, truly an amazing experience. Ultimately my family had a good vacation and I thank Mayan Princess for this experience. I would recommend this resort to anyone, only advice would be to do excursions on cruise ship days to avoid the harassment on the beach. If the Mayan can figure something out to deal with the merchants on cruise ship days this resort could be a 5 star resort easily.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Andrew M
Reviewed 5 April 2014

The Mayan Princess was a lovely surprise. Not very big, but very cosy! We loved the fact that there was no crowds to conquer for space around the lovely pool or for a chair on the pristine white beach. The buffet was small-ish, but everything was wonderfully tasty. The staff was very friendly and very helpful. We booked the two-bedroom pool-view rooms and it was very roomy and clean. We had a kitchen+dining+sittingroom area we did not expect and a lovely veranda. The vegetation is so lush and very well-kept. I like that it was clean and maintained well. The only thing I have gripes about, is the towel-policy. You get a towel card, for a towel at the beach, and if you loose it (or someone takes it off your chair!!!) you have to pay $50! Yikes!! Mayan divers are wonderful. The diving in Roatan is my absolute favourite, only second to the Red Sea.

Room Tip: We booked with Sunwing, and we did not really have a choice on the location of the room. We liked ou...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you so much for your review. It's great to know how much you enjoy everything about our resort. Our friendly staff on resort do their best to make everyone feel at home. It’s good to hear that they made your stay even better. We appreciate your feedback. It helps with our improvement process.
We hope to see you and friends again.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

My husband and I just returned from a week at the Las Sirenas, the sister property of the Mayan Princess. I must say that the resorts are so close and easily accessed we never felt as though it was a seperate property. The rooms were very clean and the beds were quite comfy. There was never a problem getting a drink. The staff was fantastic and helpful especially Julia, Darwin, Fernando and Yeni. The food at the buffet was flavorful and there was always a good variety. We ate at 2 of the resorts other restaurants, Kalkettes and the Sam Simone beach club and both were delicious. I was pleasantly surprised with the Filet Mignon, one of the best filets Ive ever had. The resort is beautiful, the beach is beautiful. All in all it was a great week.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ssimanis

We really appreciate you posting about your great stay at the resort. Providing excellent customer service is very important to us and It is always our pleasure to serve. It's awesome to know how much you enjoyed the beach, food, and our resort in general =)
Thank you so much for your review and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

When you walk onto the property you will immediately feel tranquility. The pool is beautiful, not to mention the perfect sand and clarity of water!

Glenda, Johan (Joey), DeMara, and so many other staff members made our stay enjoyable! The rooms were clean and extremely spacious. The food was good. I felt very safe!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Janeth T, Manager at Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Thank you so much for your great and kind review. We appreciate it. It seems you had a great time at the resort and that we were able to meet your expectations. We hope to see you again.
Enjoy your day.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

The Mayan Princess is on the most beautiful stretch of beach in Roatan. The pool is an oasis and the staff are amazing! The only negative thing that I could say is that on the days that the cruise ships come into port, the " day - trippers" from the cruise are like cockroaches taking over the beach, the pool areas and everything else imaginable.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Charity H
Janeth T, Manager at Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review us. We appreciate it. It's great to know that our staff was able to make your vacation so enjoyable. It looks that you enjoyed a lot our pool, grounds, and beach. We hope to see you and friends again. Enjoy your day.

Also consider these accommodations in or near West Bay
Parrot Tree Beach Resort
Parrot Tree Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in First Bight
Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort

Been to Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort? Share your experiences!