“A great holiday”

Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I was torn between a 3 star rating and a 4 star rating. I went with the 4 star because my husband and I did have a wonderful time at this resort and the couple issues we had were not so bad. And after my stay here, I can probably agree with almost every review that has been written - both the good and bad as we experienced great service and poor service all in the same week.

The Mayan Princess Resort is a beautiful property on a gorgeous white sand beach. Stunning views of the crystal blue waters. The property itself is not huge, which made for quaint surroundings. We equally enjoyed spending time at the pool (had to ourselves most afternoons) and the beach (people watching). Both the pool and ocean were nice and refreshing.

Our first day and first evening at the resort were absolutely perfect. We were picked up at the airport by the shuttle. When we arrived, the front desk were cheerful, helpful and the check-in process only took a few moments. We arrived around noon, but could not get into our room until 3pm, so they stored our luggage for us. We were in our room by 3pm that day. The service went downhill from here.

I booked the trip by purchasing the Groupon. The deal was for a beach-front condo, but because the resort was full on our first night there, we were placed in a pool-side room for the first night. The first room was absolutely perfect - a huge two-bedroom on the second floor with a large balcony. Extremely clean, updated kitchen and immaculately decorated. Just fantastic. The next day, we moved (with no help from the staff) to our originally planned beach-front room and were so disappointed by this room. It was outdated, dirty and a quite run-down - rusty kitchen appliances, filthy fridge, cracked floor tiles, peeling paint, etc. We asked if there was any chance of switching rooms but were told there was no availability for a couple of days. In the end, we stuck it out in this room, because we knew we wouldn't be spending much time inside. We were informed that each unit is independently owned and rented out by the resort, so that is why there was such a difference in the décor, furniture and general state. I believe we saw the extremes. Other people we met there, staying in pool-side rooms, were very happy with their accommodations.

All of the restaurants offered good food with plenty of options. The service of restaurant and bar staff varied from day to day. Some days we had fantastic service and other days we were almost ignored. Going up the bar for drinks was a different experience everyday - again, sometimes prompt service, other times, not so much. Both my husband and I felt that we were almost bothering the staff at times when we did approach the bar for drinks or the front desk for assistance. The inconsistent service is what brings my rating down from a 5 (and almost to a 3).

Unbelievable snorkeling on the reef in front of the resort and even more so further down the beach, past Infinity Bay, which is a much quieter spot. Gumbalimba Park was a blast. We also took a day trip on a small boat with another couple to Utila. We didn't see any whale sharks, but did get in some snorkeling near other perfect reefs. Had time to explore the island via golf cart and then enjoyed a nice lunch in a local restaurant. The trip back to Roatan was horrible as the wind picked up and rocked our little boat for hours. The 45 min trip took over 3 hours and was not enjoyable. Our excursion to Utila was not booked through the Mayan Princess. If you do go to Utila, and I highly recommend it, make sure the weather is appropriate and its not windy.

Overall, we had a fantastic trip and would recommend Roatan to anyone. I also would recommend the Mayan Princess resort. Be aware however, if you are expecting the service level of a Mexican resort, you will be disappointed in this aspect. But the island atmosphere, beautiful resort and stunning beaches will make up for it.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank RoxyOlson
Write a ReviewReviews (1,021)

Reviewed 30 April 2014

I am currently staying at the Mayan Princess and have had the worst time with service - everything from lack of free bottled water to broken fridges. Seemed like there was going to be a big turn around thanks to intervention from a local we bumped into who made a quick call to the manager for us but since then we have been waiting for the assistant manager to follow up since Monday. I tried for the second time to speak to Marianne today but have been told she has Wednesdays off. It's unfortunate as this is our second stay here and was our favourite of the five other visits we've had at West Bay. It looks like we will have to source out another hotel for next year since I can't even get a price quote out of these people. Apparently they don't need the customers even with the decline in facility and service over the past year.

• Stayed: April 2014
6  Thank Pennywise3
Janeth T, Manager at Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2014

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused during during your stay. It seems we were experiencing some communication challenges and have since been able to address and correct these errors. Our goal is always to ensure that we are providing the best in both service and quality. Therefore, your feedback helps with our improvement process.
We thank you for your review and hope to welcome you back for a stay that will exceed your expectations in the future.
Enjoy your day.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

April 7th - April 14th, 2014

This was our 3rd trip to the Mayan Princess and it never disappoints! On our first vacation to this resort there were 4 of us. The second trip, there were 8 of us. This time we expanded our group to 18 looking for some sun, sand and surf and some quality down-time! Everyone really enjoyed themselves! It was such a wonderful vacation!!

Most of our group stayed at the La Sirenas side, (called the Mayan Beach section) The rooms were smaller on that side, but still very clean and had been modernized. We stayed in a Tropical Garden Poolside room on the Mayan Princess side which was bigger, but also more expensive. There were some issues with a couple of rooms, but nothing that wasn't quickly rectified by the Hotel staff. We really enjoyed the pool on the La Sirenas side, and around 4:00 in the afternoon after spending our day on the beach our group would go back there for a dip and to get rid of some of the salt the ocean left behind. The water was warm, and the bartender looked after us there too! It was very quiet for the most part. Towards the end of our trip however; the mainlanders started to come to celebrate Easter week and it got rather noisy and crowded.

Soak up the sun by the pool or beach in your lounge chair. There are always plenty available. Or, if you wish, go visit the monkeys or try zip-lining at Gumbalimba Park, go Para-sailing right from the beach, observe ocean-life from the glass-bottom boats, or take a water taxi into West End. There are even crab-races on the beach after sunset. You can do as much or as little as your hearts desire.

The gardens are always so well-cared for and manicured to perfection. The beach sand is white and always raked several times a day. Of anywhere I have ever traveled, this by far is my favourite beach. The water is crystal clear and “azure blue”. Bar Service was provided right down to the water’s edge. A special thanks to “Donaldo” for his special attention to our group. He kept the drinks coming and it was greatly appreciated! These people work so hard, so please make sure to tip them along the way for their service.

Kim and her husband Ed who own the Dive Shop there do a great job! I think the guys went out for a total of 8 dives while they were there! My husband has been diving a long time, and is also an Instructor. Roatan is his favourite place to dive!!!! If you only want to snorkel, go down by the point. The water is so clear. Take some bread for the fish and they will love you. Great spot for taking pictures.

The chef is German, and she does a fabulous job! The food was always tasty and fresh. We were lucky that they had a table reserved for us in the main buffet which was a really nice touch, as it can be hard to try and find room for a group that size. We were so happy to learn that Glenda (a favourite of ours) who always greets us with the biggest smile had been promoted to “Supervisor”. This was very well-deserved and she and her staff made sure we were always looked after. Every morning I went to the “omelette station” before I got anything else. My favourite! The cappuccinos are delicious too!! Mid morning and afternoon they also had snacks served for anyone wanting a nibble in between meals.

A couple of people in our group had “tummy issues” after our dinner at Luna Maya, but we could not pin it down to anything specific that had been eaten. We told them that they needed to drink more tequila” to prevent any of those problems. LOL!!

A lot of newer staff had been brought in to get ready for the upcoming Easter Break. I must admit that we missed some of the staff we had got to know from prior visits to the resort. Last year there seemed to be more activities going on such as “cocktail classes” and “Spanish Lessons” etc. Yean who looked after the Entertainment, was always rounding us up to do something which was so much fun. We really missed her this year as she was on holidays herself.

There was a dinner at the San Simon Beach Club one night, which is part of the resort. This turned into such a fun time with everyone getting involved in karaoke afterwards. Everyone seemed to be afraid to get up there at first, but that sure didn't too last long! We do have video evidence of all the guys singing their hearts out in a group effort! LOL!! That is something that would never happen at home!

The only negative was that 4 of us had upgraded to the “Premium” Room Package, and that proved to be very disappointing!! This was the first time we had paid for this upgrade as it was only being introduced last year, and would never do it again. Some of the Premium Package inclusions are “supposed” to be: Unlimited reservation in the specialty restaurants, unlimited national and international premium liquors, better wines, bottle of wine with dinner, domestic beers, and his and hers bathrobes in the rooms. The first time I asked for a “premium” white wine I was told they didn't have any left, and instead I had to settle for red wine in a martini glass! Next time I was served my wine in a champagne glass, then a coke glass! Finally on our last night I got my premium white wine in the proper wine glass. It became quite a joke within our group. My husband ordered a “Miami Vice” also on our last night and was told he couldn’t have one by the Bar Manager, when most of our group that didn't pay for ‘Premium” had been drinking them all week. He was livid!! We never had a bottle of wine with any dinner, nor did we ever have bathrobes in our room. Special attention needs be paid to this, as it is a great way to piss off your repeat customers!! Proper training should be given to the staff as to what defines “premium” and the rules should not differ from bar to bar. And "Please" stock up on the proper stemware for your wines!!!!

While you are there, make sure you go down the beach a short distance and see Karla from "Karma Jewellers". Karla and her husband Marco design and make all of their jewellery with silver and various gem-stones. They have some beautiful pieces that you will not find anywhere else! I now have quite a collection of lovely pieces from Karma. They set up a little hut, and display their jewellery from about 10:00 AM – 1:30 in the afternoon. Go and check out their booth. Karla is expecting her 3rd son in June and she is an absolute sweetheart!

Also down the beach a little way is a bar called Beacher’s. They have great drinks and wonderful food! I love their calamari and coconut shrimp. The shrimp are huge! We were hoping to see Brion James perform once again on the Saturday night, but unfortunately he is touring over in Europe. We got speaking with Emile, a great guy and one of the owners. He told us about another project they will be starting in May on the other side. It will offer fine dining and accommodations with a fabulous view. He mentioned that they will provide a shuttle over and back from Beacher’s for those staying along the resort area. Can’t wait, looking forward to checking that out next time!

In closing, if you want a nice vacation where you can truly unwind and enjoy yourselves, don't hesitate to stay at the Mayan Princess. It is a smaller resort where you feel comfortable and very relaxed like you are right at home. Unfortunately It is quickly becoming a very popular destination spot and too many people are finding out about it. We were really hoping to save it for ourselves!!! LOL!!

Honourable mentions also go out to Jessie, the F&B Manager, Glenda (again) Donaldo, Johann and Victoria in reservations…….I know I must have missed others and I apologize. You are all wonderful and the service is second to none! Thank You!!!!! Hope to see you all again next time! CHEERS!!!

Room Tip: Bottom floor rooms are very convenient.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank Kimmer999

Thank you so much for your great review. We appreciate it. I'm glad that we were able to provide excellent service and excitement for everyone in your group. Our beach is one of a kind and I'm happy you enjoyed it so much. It's great to know that Roatan is your husband's favorite place for diving. It's a gem! We are always delighted to know that we met our standard as well as your expectations by offering amazing customer service in a fun and relaxing environment. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused during your drink selection and our Premium Package. Thank you for your feedback, it helps with our improvement process. Again thank you so much for your review and we hope to see you all again. Have a wonderful day.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Hubby and I very much enjoyed visiting the resort. He was able to go scuba diving while a snorkled and it was a ton of fun. We had a room right in front of the beach, so we could go lay in the sand or swim around anytime we wanted. The room was quaint and lovely and great to stay in. We would definitely return here.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AK2309

Thank you for your kind review. Sounds like you and your husband had an amazing vacation at the resort. We hope to see you both again. Enjoy your day.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

The Mayan Princess Resort was an average Caribbean all inclusive hotel but a really solid dive destination (Kudos to Mayan Divers- see separate post!!) The pool, ground and beach were immaculate most of the time until the Easter week chaos took over. Had we known about the very loud Barenas (local beer) sound stage and party till the wee hours each morning, we would have come another time. Hundreds of mainland folks, cruise guests and locals descended on and took over the beach and pool starting Wednesday. As I understand it, Easter to Hondurans is equivalent to Memorial Day in the US. The staff was so overwhelmed at the bar that it was difficult to get a drink poolside Thursday and Friday.
Thanks to recommendations by others, we had every bug spray type imaginable on hand and had few issues with the well touted bites.
There is no fitness center on premises, but supposedly, you can pay by the day at the resort next door. When we tried to see their center, no one at the desk there could find a key…so we never did see it.
The room product is kept clean by the housekeeping staff but is worn, stained and tired. There were few glasses, plates or silverware and no coffee cups. Getting coffee and water was hit or miss (even with liberal tipping) and the tap water is brackish and difficult to work up lather or feel clean (NOT for drinking for sure).
One tip is to use bottled water to make ice with the trays supplied in the freezer.
Our TV remote would not operate the TV. The room safe is large enough for a laptop and great amenity, but some other promised items like Robes and slippers were non existent
Each room included a two queen trundle bed. They offer King Beds on the website, but this is not reality. We had no issues with comfort or sleeping. Note the sun rises early and there are no blackout drapes, so if light bothers you, bring a mask.
The room AC unit was outstanding! I like a cool room and it delivered!
The food at Balam was plentiful but more than a little boring and repetitive. The omelet chef in the mornings was quick, pleasant and consistently good.
The Luna Maya restaurant is hit or miss and the first night, we were told most everything was not available and only offered a simple "sorry" multiple times. They did deliver more to expectations on a second and third visit.
Calkett's was a great menu and did a great job (thanks Johamn!) If you like ceviche... you simply must order it there. Also, while it is hard to believe, we found ourselves craving a cheeseburger by Thursday night and theirs was outstanding!
One negative is the sewage lift station in the sand between Balam and Calkett’s, it smelled most of the time but thanks to the trade winds you only needed to be a couple tables closer to the water to avoid the issue.
All in all, this resort was highly priced for the overall food and amenity offerings.
, services, amenities and offereings,

Room Tip: Sun rises early, so make pick a room with no east exposure on the bedroom if you like to sleep in.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rastabone

Thank you for taking the time to review us. We appreciate it. It's great to know that you had an awesome all inclusive dive week. It seems you had a great holiday at the resort. As you mentioned Easter week get very crowded in all Roatan, it's a long holiday in our country and neighbors. We also appreciate your feedback. I will be sure to share your review with our General Manager and staff. We hope to have the opportunity to see you again. Enjoy your day.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Beautiful sun, resort and the water is nothing like you have ever seen before. Crystal clear!
We were part of group of 18 people. We stayed in rooms in the old Las Sirenas side. Some of the others stayed on Mayan Princess side- more $$ but rooms are bigger if thats is what you are looking for. Our room was very small but how much time do you spend in the room anyways? Was very clean and every day we had a few bottles of water in our fridge. Only suggestion to resort tho is to lower the sink, a bit too high. Grounds & pool always kept very clean. We had a reserved table for our group at buffet restaurant. We found food very good and loads of variety! Every day you could have omelet made- dont know name of guy who made them but he was awesome- always smiling! There are 2 pools that you can swim in, plenty of bars and even if you are on the beach the servers will come to you asking about drinks. A special "hello" to DONALDO at the Beach Club San Simeon - we miss you! You were awesome and made our trip "extra" special. You became part of our group & your service was GREAT! The best we have ever had!
When you arrive at resort you will be given vards which you had in to get beach towels. If you do not return beach towels you will be charged $50. No problem getting a lounge chair every day. I fyou do not want to be approached by "peddlers" on beach stay behind the flags and they are not allowed to go into that area. We personally did not find them harassing- all you have to do is smaile & say no thanks. To snorkel you walk less than 10 minutes downt he beach. Bring some bread with you and you will have fish all around you when you are knee deep.
We also did the glass bottom boat. We were rather upset to find out that we paid $45 thru Sunwing but if we had just gone right to boat we would have paid only $20.
We also went zip lining. What a rush. I am afraid of heights but loved it. The guys that are with you are more than entertaining & make the adventure that much more fun. William was our guide when going thru Gumbalimba Park and he was great- lots of fun & made our visit extra special.
Bring US $ with you- a small tip goes a looong way but not necessary.
Again an extra THANK YOU to Donaldo for your extra apecial care to us all. You are awesome!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank skinnygirl11

We are so thrilled to hear that you had such an awesome vacation with us. It's great that we were able to meet your expectations. We always want to ensure that all of your needs are met and it seems the staff did just that, especially Donaldo, I will be sure to show him your review. He will be very happy to read it. We hope to see you all again. Thank you so much for your review. Enjoy your day.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

A beautiful, very well maintained resort with a gorgeous beach. Diving vacation with family during first week of April. Staff went beyond expectations to ensure our needs were met. We could not have enjoyed our trip if not for Magenta, Jesse and Glenda. Each made sure my daughter was able to enjoy some of the delicious food offered at every meal due to her food allergy. If questionable items were available, she was provided with grilled fish/seafood and vegetables. The food was wonderful. I have read several reviews regarding the food quality, however realize you are going to have lots of fish and seafood due to the location. What was available was well prepared. There was at least one non-fish/seafood item at each meal. Fresh fruit was always plentiful and the ceviche was the best on the island. Make sure to try Luna Maya and have Lany as your server. He makes your dining experience very enjoyable. Your servers are attentive and incredibly friendly with the exceptions of the ones behind the bar. Our room was a two bedroom Jr. suite in the tower with a beautiful view of the pool. Quite every night and kept immaculate by Juana. We are divers and she ensured everything was complete everyday before we returned from morning dives. Mario helped us schedule two days of non-diving activities. Coordinated a driver and provided recommendations of local activities. Always followed up to ensure we had a lovely time. Check out Gumbalimba Park for first time zip lining. Do the combo - the monkeys are adorable!

Make sure when you check in the front desk explains how the electricity works. You must use a room card. Power outages were very minimal but with the demand on the island it is to be expected and truly was no big deal. The resort needs more reliable internet connection. My husband needed contact with work and two days was unable due to no connection. Coffee service in the morning should open 30 minutes before breakfast. Hard for east coast people to wait until 7:00a to have their morning coffee!

Dive masters were fantastic, making sure to point out all kinds of critters during your adventures. Beautiful coral formations, lots of fish and turtles. One complaint, boat maintenance needs to be improved. All three boats owned by Maya Divers had something wrong. It was a fabulous vacation and we would definitely return. Highly recommend for divers and non divers.

Room Tip: Towers to avoid late night noise at Beach Club
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
#7 of 14 in West Bay
West Bay Lodge and Spa
West Bay Lodge and Spa
#3 of 14 in West Bay

Been to Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort? Share your experiences!