I was torn between a 3 star rating and a 4 star rating. I went with the 4 star because my husband and I did have a wonderful time at this resort and the couple issues we had were not so bad. And after my stay here, I can probably agree with almost every review that has been written - both the good and bad as we experienced great service and poor service all in the same week.
The Mayan Princess Resort is a beautiful property on a gorgeous white sand beach. Stunning views of the crystal blue waters. The property itself is not huge, which made for quaint surroundings. We equally enjoyed spending time at the pool (had to ourselves most afternoons) and the beach (people watching). Both the pool and ocean were nice and refreshing.
Our first day and first evening at the resort were absolutely perfect. We were picked up at the airport by the shuttle. When we arrived, the front desk were cheerful, helpful and the check-in process only took a few moments. We arrived around noon, but could not get into our room until 3pm, so they stored our luggage for us. We were in our room by 3pm that day. The service went downhill from here.
I booked the trip by purchasing the Groupon. The deal was for a beach-front condo, but because the resort was full on our first night there, we were placed in a pool-side room for the first night. The first room was absolutely perfect - a huge two-bedroom on the second floor with a large balcony. Extremely clean, updated kitchen and immaculately decorated. Just fantastic. The next day, we moved (with no help from the staff) to our originally planned beach-front room and were so disappointed by this room. It was outdated, dirty and a quite run-down - rusty kitchen appliances, filthy fridge, cracked floor tiles, peeling paint, etc. We asked if there was any chance of switching rooms but were told there was no availability for a couple of days. In the end, we stuck it out in this room, because we knew we wouldn't be spending much time inside. We were informed that each unit is independently owned and rented out by the resort, so that is why there was such a difference in the décor, furniture and general state. I believe we saw the extremes. Other people we met there, staying in pool-side rooms, were very happy with their accommodations.
All of the restaurants offered good food with plenty of options. The service of restaurant and bar staff varied from day to day. Some days we had fantastic service and other days we were almost ignored. Going up the bar for drinks was a different experience everyday - again, sometimes prompt service, other times, not so much. Both my husband and I felt that we were almost bothering the staff at times when we did approach the bar for drinks or the front desk for assistance. The inconsistent service is what brings my rating down from a 5 (and almost to a 3).
Unbelievable snorkeling on the reef in front of the resort and even more so further down the beach, past Infinity Bay, which is a much quieter spot. Gumbalimba Park was a blast. We also took a day trip on a small boat with another couple to Utila. We didn't see any whale sharks, but did get in some snorkeling near other perfect reefs. Had time to explore the island via golf cart and then enjoyed a nice lunch in a local restaurant. The trip back to Roatan was horrible as the wind picked up and rocked our little boat for hours. The 45 min trip took over 3 hours and was not enjoyable. Our excursion to Utila was not booked through the Mayan Princess. If you do go to Utila, and I highly recommend it, make sure the weather is appropriate and its not windy.
Overall, we had a fantastic trip and would recommend Roatan to anyone. I also would recommend the Mayan Princess resort. Be aware however, if you are expecting the service level of a Mexican resort, you will be disappointed in this aspect. But the island atmosphere, beautiful resort and stunning beaches will make up for it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- An elegant Roatan resort on the island's best beach, Mayan Princess Beach Resort features waterfront hotel accommodations and service. Just steps from your luxurious condo, a white sand beach leads to sparkling turquoise waters, perfect for scuba diving Roatan's spectacular undersea gardens. Nominated for Honduras' Leading Hotel Award in 2007-2010, this Roatan beach resort offers a variety of vacation activities, first-class amenities, and beachfront restaurant. Welcome to paradise and comfortable relaxation in a tropical oasis. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd and Ebookers so you can book your Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mayan Princess Beach Hotel West Bay
- Hotel Mayan Princess Beach
- Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort Roatan, Honduras - West Bay