“great repeat visit”

Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
Reviewed 10 August 2014

On our third trip to Roatan in late March we thoroughly enjoyed staying at the Mayan Princess for a second time. Being vegetarian and having read some less-than-positive comments about the cuisine, we spoke with management before booking. It appeared that Magenta, the Chef, had been off due to a foot injury and some difficulties had been experienced earlier in the season as a result. At the buffet, Suyapa and Byron went out of their way to let us know the ingredients of the many choices at each buffet meal and we had no difficulty finding many tasty things to enjoy. They would recommend soups when they were vegetarian -- and they were delicious! When we missed the pineapple we had enjoyed on our last visit, we were offered a big bowl and then found it on the buffet most mornings thereafter. We left eating at the Luna Maya until late in our stay because there was no vegetarian meal on the menu -- what a mistake! The special meal served by Lany was delicious and beautifully presented.

Staff worked very hard to minimize the impact of cruise-ship passengers, setting up separate buffets and separate beach areas for them. Happily, they were generally gone by lunch time.

Dinner several nights each week was served outside of the main restaurant -- Asian night at poolside, burger night at Las Sirenas and dinner on the beach a third night. It was a great deal of work for the staff to set up, but added variety in a most pleasant way. Both Byron and Geraldo did a fabulous job cooking on Asian nights as well as at the omelette station in the morning and serving up specialties at lunch as well.

It was great to see deserving staff promoted -- Glenda now doing an effective job ensuring prompt service at meals and in the bar, and Carolina on the housekeeping side of things. Also impressive was the improvement in the English spoken by the staff -- kudos to both management and staff on that front! We enjoyed learning Spanish from the staff -- they were very patient with us! Particularly notable service was provided in the dining room by Arnol and Samuel, though all the staff were very attentive. Edwin on the front desk was always helpful as well. We appreciated not being subject to "sales pitches" about excursions, but information was readily available when requested -- both from the front desk and from the Sunwing representative, Claudio. Comparing to previous Sunwing reps, Claudio was very visible at the resort on a regular basis, eager to ensure our satisfaction with the service we received. He didn't get any work from us -- we were more than happy with everything about our stay! Yes, the power did go out from time to time, but that was a function of the island power supply and the hotel's generator was brought on stream quite quickly when it occurred.

There were other improvements since our last visit in 2012 -- we found the vendors much less aggressive on the beach and the fact that they needed to wear identifying T-shirts as "authorized vendors" likely explains that to some degree. Also, the thump of music was much less intrusive than previously -- much appreciated! For those who prefer more activity, the Henry Morgan next door (where we stayed on our first trip to Roatan) offered almost constant beach volleyball, salsa dancing, etc.

The purpose of our repeated trips to Roatan is to snorkel "the wall" a ten minute walk down the beautiful sandy beach. It is the best snorkeling we have encountered, although the traffic from cruise-ship passengers is degrading the marine park more each year. This year, we were pleased to see the marine park boat on duty more than previously.

A comment to travelers considering Infinity Bay: being right next door to the destination of a majority of the cruise-ship passengers means the brunt of the activity and noise (that thumping rhythm!) is right outside the resort... Infinity Bay also has the dock which water taxis to the West End frequent: convenient, but more traffic as a result. The apartments, however, are beautiful. Nonetheless, we intend to return to the Mayan Princess on our next trip to Roatan.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alexander M
Janeth T, Manager at Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2014

Thank you for your review. It's great to know that you had a great time at the resort and I'm so happy to hear that our staff was able to make your vacation so enjoyable. I know your second stay with us had a lot to live up to and I'm so glad we were able to meet your expectations. We hope to see you both for a third time.
Enjoy your day.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,012)

Reviewed 9 August 2014

My family and I spent 5 nights at Mayan Princess and it I don't think that I could recommend it. I can't say that I was unhappy there, but I have certainly had better vacation experiences. The beach was beautiful, but the loud music from the neighboring resort got very old very fast. The beachfront condo was clean and had a beautiful view, but it was disappointing to have to ask twice for enough towels (two vs. one) and extra bottled water (more than two). The pool was very pretty, but the water was just way too warm (okay - it is August. Can't really blame anyone for that.). The food was all together a huge disappointment. Chicken, rice and salad over and over. The "restaurant" menus were impressive, but very little of what was on the menu was actually available. I thought that I'd play it safe and order a hamburger one night - nope. Not available. The drinks were okay, but the bartender at the beach bar was just obnoxious. He acted as if he was buying us the drinks! And a simple thank you for a generous tip once in a while would be nice. There was no entertainment in the evening, fuzzy television reception, and the lights at the bar were turned off at night, even though it was open. My overall impression of the resort was "low budget". On a good note, the staff at the on-site Dive Center were awesome! Very friendly, very knowledgable, and reasonable prices for diving and snorkling. Mayan Divers gets 5 stars!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Janeth T, Manager at Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2014

We regret to hear that we did not meet your expectations. We have many guests who feel the direct opposite and have boasted of our resort in general. As hoteliers, we realize that there is always room for improvement and feedback is crucial in this process so we thank you for your review. I will be sure to share your review with our General Manager and staff.
On a brighter note, we’re happy to hear that the mayan staff was able to showcase the true hospitality for which we are known and that you enjoyed our beautiful beach.
Once again thank you for your review.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Just getting around to writing a review after I stumbled upon pictures of my Roatan vacation last December (2013). My husband and I booked the Mayan Princess Beach resort because the ratings seemed ok and it also appeared to offer more amenities than Infinity Bay Resort, which is a few properties over. The pros of this property:
*It is a condo and includes a small living room/kitchen, a spacious bedroom and bathroom. We also had a nice big balcony overlooking the beach.
*Rooms were very clean
*Grounds are very pretty. Nice pool and lots of vegetation
*Bottled water was provided daily
*Great cocktails at the bar
*Great Dive shop on site with a knowledgeable staff

The cons:
*Wi-fi was out for 2 days and when it was available it wasn't very good
*Booking tours is hit or miss and requires persistence and follow up.
*The towel situation mentioned on several posts is real. I was there during the holidays and at one point early in the day, every day, they would run out of pool towels. If you didn't get one, you were out of luck. The reason given was that the machines were out of service.
*For the holidays I had to take the full board package so had unlimited drinks and food at any of their restaurants. The food was good but variety was lacking a bit.
*Husband got an upset stomach for a day
*Can't escape the noise from neighboring resorts or the bars from any room. The good news was that it did end by midnight
*finally, this wasn't the fault of the resort, but the sand flies were ferocious. I underestimated the damage they could inflict and left with a ton of bites from sitting on the beach.
*overall, customer service was ok. Staff on site did not appear to be empowered to make decisions or to ensure that customers were happy and taken care of.

We had gone for the diving and that did not disappoint. If I were to go back to Roatan, I would probably give Infinity Bay a try. The units looked newer and it does look like the construction is coming to an end.

One thing to note is that West Bay is on the edge of Roatan and outside of the resorts there are very few food options. There are inexpensive water taxis to West End, which has more restaurants but negotiate the rates first. They will vary.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank yojude

Thank you so much for your review. We are very happy to see that you enjoyed our accommodations, beach, and tropical garden. It seems you had a good time at the resort. We appreciate your feedback. It's always very important to know what our guests think. I will be sure to share your review with our managers and staff. We hope to see you again.
Have a nice day.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I took a group down to Roatan July 26-August 2, 2014, we booked the Mayan Princess on the advice of a co-worker, and it was great. Getting there from the air port will make you have some questions, but once there the resort is great. We had a large group of 25, so some of the rooms were not ready, but we had lunch and took in the beach, and everyone was in their rooms in under an hour. The food was good, not great, but you are in a third world county, everything was cooked well and there was plenty to fill you up. Mitchell and Darwin were quick with the drinks, and would bring them down to the beach for you. Rooms were very nice and spacious, as well as a nice and very large pool. The grounds were very well kept, and rooms serviced daily. Mayan Divers in on site and did an excellent job; Ed, Mark, Teddy were the best, most of us were very experienced divers, so they let us do our own plans. The only problem was my wife got bit by sand flees or something on the beach, so carry bug spray to spray the sand, most of us did not have problems with the mosquitoes. DO NOT DRINK THE WATER OUT OF THE FAUCET, DO NOT BRUSH YOUR TEETH WITH THE WATER OUT OF THE FAUCET, DO NOT GET WATER FROM THE SHOWER IN YOUR MOUTH, everyone who has traveled should know this, but it is obvious from other reviews they do not know how to travel well, bottled water is placed in your room everyday. My whole group is ready to go back as soon as possible, it was a wonderful trip.

Room Tip: Room 105 is in a great location.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank WadeL1825

Thank you for your review. We are very happy to read that you had a great time at the resort and that our staff ,specially the mayan divers were able to make your vacation even more enjoyable.
We hope to see you all again.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Second time at this resort and really enjoy it. There were only two con's for me and that is why I ranked 4 instead of 5. Con's: 1-food- would be nice if they offered more of a selection. Many of the dinner options were unavailable the entire week I was there, so that made selections slim at night. Serving more people at the 3 menu restaurants would also be nice. There were only 1 reservation taken per every 15 minutes, so when in a restaurant there would only be a few other tables of people. Seems like if they had more servers they could have served more people and the dinner reservation times would not have been so hard to get. 2- alcoholic drinks- bartenders pored half shot drinks. Not that I am a really big drinker, but I am on vacation! If you asked for a full shot or an extra one, bartenders did oblige, but I do not think you should have to ask.
Pro's- pool, beach, atmosphere, and room. If you like the sun, being laid backed, a big pool, and clear Caribbean waters...this is the place for you! I had a beach front condo and it was clean and spacious. Yes, I did notice a smell sometimes from the faucet, but this is Honduras and not the US, their sewer systems do not work the way ours do. It is not that big of a deal. Would also like to give a shout out to Glenda. She remembered me from my trip 2 years ago and is a terrific person and employee! Really, all of the staff were fantastic, from the desk to housekeeping. I was able to get an 1.5 hour late check out and that was nice too since I had a 3:30 flight.
My trip #2 was just as good as the first one and I will be back! I do recommend this place for you! If you are a diver...even more. I dove with onsite shop, Mayan Divers and wrote a review for them as well.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank lashcroft
Janeth T, Manager at Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

We are so happy to hear that you had such a great vacation with us. It's great that we were able to meet your expectations the second time around. I'll be sure to send this post to our staff, including Glenda. They all will be happy to see your review. Thank you for your feedback, it's always very important to know what our guests think about the resort.
We hope to see you again in a near future.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

This is the perfect example of a resort where its people makes all the difference -

I was here in early July and Yean at the Front Desk helped me out immensely with what could've been a disastrous visit. The hotel's gift shop was already closed and the local market in West Bay ran out of it. I was frantically looking for tampons, (among all things) right before a night dive...this is an emergency for a female - it was a learning experience visiting Roatan (how inaccessible these things are down there). :( I've been on the island 4 times in 20 months but never thought anything of it - and it wasn't supposed to happen yet that week; so ladies, whether or not you think it's that time, please bring some with you.

Then Yean came to my rescue - her and Oliver (are such a great team). Yean, without hesitation asked Oliver (the driver) to see if he could drive to Eldon's in Coxen Hole to get them for me...these two saved my life, they went above and beyond what I had expected.

It's things like these that makes a guest loyal to a resort. Thank you, Mayan Princess for putting together such a dedicated and professional team! I will be back soon.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank LJ M

I’m so happy to see that you were able to have an enjoyable stay at the resort. It's seems you had a great time! I will be sure to let Yean and Oliver know how impressed you were with their service. Your mention is very encouraging and helps us to ensure that we continue on this track of excellence.
Thank you so much for your great review and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stayed there 7 long can't wait to come home days! The water in the faucet stunk like sewer water, we all got attacked with bites all over by sand fleas that traveled into our room or they were bed bugs in the bed. A lot of us got diareah and vomiting ( maybe the water), no room service ( had to tell the waitress that i would give get a good tip so she could bring the food up) extremely poor night entertainment and food was ok.. Nothing out of this world. The island was very poor looking and beaches were beautiful! In the resort you get bombarded by locals every 2 seconds trying to sell u something. Very annoying.

• Stayed: July 2014
Barefoot Cay Resort
Barefoot Cay Resort
#1 of 5 in French Harbour
Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort

Been to Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort? Share your experiences!