“Dont stay in the Mayan princess hotel Roatan”

Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
Honduras
“Dont stay in the Mayan princess hotel Roatan”
Reviewed 8 April 2010

I would never stay in the mayan princess in Roatan again. This hotel has the worst service i have come across in any hotel and i travel alot. We had a whole series of incidents with the staff in this resort - The majority of staff were so rude and will not try and help you at all. They wouldnt clean our room on second last day as we were leaving the next day, they werent able to provide us with a phone number for best restaurant on the island and actually the receptionist hung up on us when we phoned, they suggested i wander around the whole complex to find the cleaning lady to get a beach towel as they had none available at 10am on saturday morning, they wouldnt let us check out the night before (we had v early flight), they werent able to provide me with an iron and the list goes on and on, they organised an airport pick up for us and then when he was 20 mins late they said its not our fault, your organised it....
My recommendation is do not stay here when the staff in some of the other hotels are very pleasant! Overall the hotel is dated although the rooms are decent, there is no lift and no one able to help with luggage, food is not great. The only thing going for it is that its not roatan which is fab!!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank HollyKing
MayanPrincessResort, Guest Relations Manager at Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort, responded to this review, 28 July 2010
We are truly sorry to hear of your experience with us. One of the major problems in Roatan is lack of tourism-oriented human resources --meaning it's difficult to find the right staff to meet the high level of service standards we uphold.

That being said, it is our responsibility to supervise staff and make sure they are polite, helpful, and go above and beyond in caring for our valued guests, and it is clear that, in this particular case, you felt your expectations were not met while staying with us.

We have undergone a recent change in management and have been working diligently to iron out any and all issues that were left behind by previous management, including replacing some of our staff members.

We appreciate all comments - good and bad - as these observations help us focus on areas that require improvement, and we hope you will return to Roatan someday and give us a second chance to redeem ourselves.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 7 April 2010

My wife and I returned from a 2 week stay at the Mayan Princess, this week. The resort, pool, grounds, condo's, beach, snorkelling, service, location and island were incredible. As with any resort there were minor glitches, which we expected any way. The food did become routine after the first few days, but we always found something to eat and we also ventured into the town of West End and tried a couple of restaraunts there. The other thing was that the selection of drinks, for an all inclusive, was not that good. We did find drinks that we enjoyed but there was only one beer included. The rest of the brands had to be purchased. The best thing of all was the people. They are the friendliest, hardest working people we have ever met. Even with the long hours of work they put in, day after day, they never complained and always had a smile and conversation for you. They would even be singing!!! Truly amazing people. We would love to return here, perhaps when they get the all inclusive aspect under control, better. If you want to see a beautful place and meet wonderful local people, do't hesitate going to Roatan. We totally loved our holiday there.

1 Thank tripper045
Niagara falls on
Reviewed 30 March 2010

My girlfriend and I just returned yesterday and we had a wonderful time. We loved every thing about this trip.
The food was very good. We had fresh fruit with every meal, pineapple, cantaloupe and watermelon with every meal and mango, papaya, pears and apples from time to time. The meat and fish were first rate. They had a carving station that would serve items like roast pork, beef and turkey. Other meat items were always on the buffet. We enjoyed beef wrapped in bacon cooked with a mushroom sauce, thin cut steaks and chicken breasts that were all well prepared and very good. They always had a variety of meat and fish items for lunch and dinner. We had an omelet bar every morning for breakfast with bacon, ham, pancakes and fried eggs usually there as well. They did change things up often enough to make it interesting. These people really know how to prepare fish and it was always fresh and delicious. I didn’t expect the food to be this good based on the reviews I read but we were very surprised and pleased.
We took the advice from a review we had read earlier on trip advisor and emailed the resort and requested that our pool view tower room be upgraded to a beach front and we were accommodated. It’s actually a trade off because the pool view rooms are larger, nicer and quieter but without the ocean view. It is preference really. The basic rooms are great so you don’t need to upgrade at all. I don’t think there is a bad room in the place. Our room was near perfect and we loved our large patio with a ceiling fan. The bed was good and we had lots of hot water. The a/c kept the room nice and cool.
The property was beautiful and well kept and you couldn’t possibly find a nicer beach anywhere.
The staff worked very hard and did a great job but bring an alarm clock. We called for a wake up call every morning and we didn’t receive it on two occasions.
We did 11 dives and we dove with the hotels Mayan Divers. They were just OK. We booked the Shark dive and that is done through another dive center. Friends we met there dove with Banarama, they were transported to the Shark dive free but we were required to take a cab that cost us $50 round trip. The Shark dive is awesome. Our night dive was poor and rushed but all of our other dives were nice. We paid $30 a dive when we booked 10 and we paid an extra $10 for the night dive. We were not offered the opportunity to dive Mary’s Place but our friends that dove with Banarama were taken there and they said it was beautiful.
You can rent a car at the front desk. They use Budget but on the day we rented Budget had no cars available so we just called Thrifty and they came to get us. We paid $60 for the day all inclusive with no mileage charge. We enjoyed the entire island and felt safe. If you are interested in doing the Zip line or any other activity away from the resort it’s a good idea to do it on a day that you have a car rented. The taxi’s are booked and paid for at the front desk and they are a little expensive, i.e.…the park with the monkeys is 5 minutes up the road and $5 to get in. The hotel charges $40 transportation and entry.
Cruise ships arrived almost everyday and they do use the hotels pool and beach but it was never an issue to us.
This was a great vacation and we can’t wait to return to the Mayan Princess.

2 Thank diverspaulnancy
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 28 March 2010

Came to Mayan Princess after receiving poor service at Infinity Bay, I had no reservation and this was semana Santa , one of the busiest week of the year, the front desk clerk asked me if I would like to speak with the duty manager, was taken into the manager office who was very courteous and offered me to use his computer if needed, the owner or director of the hotel introduced them self and were very helpful. I decided to stay there and didn’t regret. The hotel has the best stretch of beach in West Bay which is the best beach in Roatan, they have their own 5 stars Padi diving center, I had a very nice and spacious condo, wireless internet worked smoothly in my room, service was helpful, upon departure I needed to make some airline booking which was handled smoothly by the front desk. I think this is by far the best place to stay in West Bay and Roatan.

Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank Laurent Z
Hamilton Ont
Reviewed 22 March 2010

Just got back from our stay. We had the breakfast package but paid a la carte for our scuba dives and other meals. Spoke with others who went all-in on the food package etc, but it's not really worthwhile: the food is pretty average and it gets tired pretty fast. They go heavy on carbs for the meals and while yes, there are meat and fish choices, if you want nice island cuisine like grilled whole fish etc, you'll need to order off the menu. The resto is pricey for what it is, but isn't that bad. A nice big Mayan Salad hit the spot.

The rooms really vary--I've stayed here 2 times before. Some are sort of shabby and others are modern and sleek. My suggestion is to stay in the tower suite for a modern condo experience with nice open kitchen etc. None were available this time so we stayed in a poolside standard one bedroom, second floor. The private balcony with dining furniture was nice. (Note that if you stay on the main floor, people will constantly be encroaching onto your "private" patio.)

Our suite had a TV with all the US stations which was good so our 8-year-old could unwind after a long day of swimming and exploring. But my last stay, the channels were limited in my room, so it's good to check in advance if this matters to you. I personally don't watch much TV, but it's essential for my child, lol.

Dive shop: Mayan Divers. They're nice, reasonably priced, the gear is in good shape and they can take you out pretty much rain or shine. They can also help coordinate expeditions to dives managed by other shops, ie the Wainuka shark dive outfitters on the other end of the island.

Spa: Service is spotty. My body scrub went on forever and not in a good way. I was shivering throughout and there was a language barrier with the aesthetician, although there is a part time "helper" (whom I actually suspect is the owner!) who speaks English who can translate if you're there at the right time. They mean well, but I think as this is a new spa, it will just take some more time and experience for them to hammer out the rough spots. Everyone is very nice!

Front desk can arrange babysitting. They also help coordinate transportation, but if the timing on something is important--as was our getting across the island for 9am for our shark dive--you should get Anja at the Mayan Divers to help follow-up for you. Our 8:15 AM cab never showed, and by 8:45 the still-flummoxed front desk hadn't figured out how to get us there. Anja personally got us a driver within 5 minutes and was planning to drive us herself otherwise! We just made it!

Pros of the hotel: Good location (walk down the street to Celeste's Island Cuisine for awesome and superfast baleadas and free-range pet parrots); great reef within swimming distance of resort; awesome lagoon swimming pool; onsite dive shop; child-friendly; good breakfast buffet

Cons: Dinner buffet not great; uneven quality of room furniture; our shower lacked truly hot water even though the sink faucet went very hot! This was a bummer when I was chilly after a morning of scuba diving and wanted desperately to heat up; and the pool "hot tub" is also tepid--I spent the week doing a lot of shivering (this would be less and issue if you travelled during the hotter months, I guess!). But the pros far outweigh the cons.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
Washington, D.C.
Reviewed 17 March 2010

This is a nice hotel. The grounds are immaculately kept. The rooms are clean. The pool is beautiful and tranquil. My wife loved it. She is hard to please so it must be a great place if she liked it. We had an ocean front room on the second level that had a nice porch where we spent a lot of time watching sunsets.

The restaurant is the best on the beach. We checked out some other restaurants in the area, but none came close. They had a breakfast buffet with a large variety. On our anniversary the head chef agreed to cook us something special that wasn't on the menu. It was a beautiful baked fish with papas and cebollas and chilis. We didn't know whether to eat it or hang it on the wall. We ate it. We should have taken a picture of it first. The only negative comment I can make is that the chef refused to give us the recipe.

The beach is breathtaking. There are tons of opportunities for fun from diving to snorkeling to rentals of various beach equipment like kayaks. The front desk arranged a fishing trip for us.

The pool is very nice. It has a bridge and also a cave where you can sit in the shade and chill. We spent almost an entire day just sitting in the shade in the pool.

The only thing I didn't like was that the walls were thin. We could hear the people in the unit next to us talking. What can you do?

We went during the off-season so there weren't very many other guests. It was quiet and peaceful. In December and semana santa or during cruise season I'm sure the atmosphere is quite different.

• Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
California
Reviewed 16 March 2010

We stayed from March 6-13. We had the breakfast plan. The buffet style food was not that great and even though there were servers you usually had to find a coffee cup on a table and go get your own coffee. Sometimes they were out of coffee. Resort was OK, staff was friendly. Beach towels were a constant battle. You get a ticket for a beach towel. When you return your towel you get your ticket back. We got fresh towels and they gave us smaller bath towels that we didn't notice. The next day we turn them in and they tell us those are the wrong towels and won't give us our tickets or the larger towels. I'm paying about 175.00 per night and I have to fight with them over towels that if i had them at home I would use them to dry my car, not my body. No sand fleas at all, never used bug spray. Paid 10.00 per day for internet service that worked maybe half of the time. The beach lounge chairs are kind of a challenge as you really want your chair to have some shade but the ones with shade are spoken for earlier in the morning. Then come the cruise ship people. The hotel has cut some kind of deal to them to where they reserve about half of the lounge chairs to cruise ship people. When they show up there are not enough chairs. I saw plenty of hotel guests very annoyed when they showed up at the beach ready to lounge but there was no room because they had given the chairs to the cruise ship people!! On the plus side ,about a block away from the beach is a great deli-market called Mangiamo that is owned by a Dane? named Frank. He opened it a couple years ago when he moved from New Orleans. His store is packed with good food, drinks, deli meats etc that he imports from the states. Great place .. http://www.roatandeli.com/. We ate dinner 3 nights at the Island Pearl and each night it was great. Chef posts the nightly menu on the beach. Wife had Duck and loved it. I had Kobe beef and loved it,Blackened Wahoo another nite etc. Their salad produce is hydroponically grown etc. Great quiet place for dinner with a good wine selection. Each night dinner was probably 100.00 for the two of us .Pricey compared to the other restrauants but we were on vacation. Snorkeling was the best I have had. Aslo had good lunches and dinner at Las Rocas and good lunch at Banarama. We will go back but will stay at Infinity Bay.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your constructive criticism which has helped us to solve some of the issues you mention.

For example, we have purchased several new beach chairs - very comfortable and in good condition - to avoid competition for the chairs between our hotel guests and cruise ship guests.

Your observation about the towels was also very helpful in helping us realize the inconvenience guests were experiencing. We wish to offer the best service and quality possible and have since purchased better quality towels in necessary amounts to be sure our valued guests always have access to a beach towel.