“A gem!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
Burlingame, California, United States
“A gem!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

I just got back from a one week trip to beautiful Roatan West Bay Island, we stayed at the Paradise Beach Resort which has a privileged position at the apex of the bay and has the most beautiful garden with many native plants, hammocks, an outside eating area with beach sand and modern furniture. We stayed in one of the suites of the resort. These are extraordinarily spacious with elegant yet cozy living room, a fully equipped kitchen with a stylish bedroom and bathrooms. Maid services was impeccable, always leaving towels in the shape of an animal with fresh flowers from their garden. The extremely friendly and competent service in the restaurant and bar made our stay a positive experience. All members of the staff always had an ear for individual wants and needs and they completely deserved our full recognition--I want to recognize Everett and Fanny, they were sweet, always smiling and friendly. We will definitely come back to stay here and we are already looking forward staying with their friendly staff. Roatan far exceeded my expectations with all it's glorious beauty, friendly people and water sports activities.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Emma Yolanda P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

I am a little late in writing my review. We were here for two weeks starting mid January. But it's late summer now and I am starting to think about our next vacation. So this got me thinking about our experience here. Since my mind is on this subject, I'll share my experience. My wife and I really liked it so much, that we are planning to come back again this next winter.

For us this is a perfect location. Wonderful beach. Pleasant resort. Great snorkling site. And outstanding scuba diving sites. I dove with West Bay Divers, which is right beside the resort. I can't say enough good things about them and especially Nick who led most of the dives I was on. The shop goes out of its way to take care of the divers. When returning from a dive, the shop took my equipment (I brought my own) and did all the rinsing, drying, and storing. As for snorkeling, there is a really nice site along the coral cliff at the left end of the beach. It was just loaded with all sorts of fish. I have included a picture of this site.

I have so many good things to say about the Paradise Beach resort. We had a third floor room with a patio. It took a little effort to go up the stairs, but the view makes up for it. Air conditioner was unusually quiet, plus there was a remote control for the air conditioner. That was an super convenience. Didn't have to get out of bed to make adjustments. We did have one complaint, but the resort promptly attended to it. The patio door was hard to slide and it did not lock. When we called the front desk, we didn't have to wait too long. The door was fixed. The grounds are well kept and a pleasure to just stroll around in. One of the pictures I have included with this review is of the grounds. We were there under the All-inclusive Plan. The buffet was good. Every day there were little variations that made it interesting. We did try the ala carte restaurant one evening for a pizza. We went for the specialty with a lobster tail on the pizza. That was the only food item I would not order again. The lobster tail was overcooked, I guess because it had been overheated on the pizza, and it was tough and rubbery. There is one other thing I would like to see. And that is more wine. I am not much for beer or mixed drinks, which flowed pretty freely. I prefer red wine, but it is scarce. The staff are pleasant and helpful. Our plans for this next winter include coming back to this same resort. We loved it.

We did get a little too much rain though. Out of the 14 days we were there, we had 5 gorgeous sunny days where there was hardly a ripple on the ocean. But we also had 5 days of heavy rainfall. During those days, our walkway from our room's location had several inches of water covering it. In a way, it was a nice break though from the hot sun.

Some of the reviews I read, mention getting a lot of insect bites. For some reason they were hardly noticeble during our stay. I never used any sprays and yet I only got a couple bites. Maybe the rain kept them away or maybe it was because our room was on the third level and the insects are less likely to fly that high or maybe it was just the time of year.

It was a good stay and we are going back.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank oSeaDiver
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

Great hotel, friendly staff, excellent service. The room we had was spacious and very clean with a great balcony facing the ocean. The food was buffet style and was good. There are also a la carte restaurants on site. The grounds of the hotel were beautiful and very well kept. Roatan is a great island with friendly helpful people everywhere. Loved the island and the hotel which is directly on the beach. The beach is spectacular. Looking forward to going back soon. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank feistymonkey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013

I would say that the instalations don't look particularily new but the beachfront and the beach restaurant are excellent and also de rooms in the interior. Food is very good and specially seafood and the roatan pizza (seafood). We went to visit and eat to other pricier hotels and by far Paradise Beach Hotel excells the others' service and attention. Their customer service is simply superb. I extremely recommend it and would definitely return in the future.

• Stayed July 2013
4 Thank dmcastro81
Vancouver, BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2013

Though this review is a little late in coming, (we visited for 3 weeks in Feb, 2013), we wanted to make sure we took the time to talk about our experience.

This was our first visit to Roatan, and we came as a family of 4, with our two children, ages 6 and 2. During our stay, two sets of grandparents and my adult sister joined us at different times during the trip.

First off I'd like to say that if this is your first time to the island, you will be awed by the setting. We have travelled quite extensively over the years, and this is the loveliest beach we have ever come across. I cannot tell you how many times I stood on the beach looking out at the white sand and the amazing colours in the bay and said, 'I can't believe this is real!!!' It is like something out of movie, or a photo from a calendar featuring tropical beaches of the world.

The West Bay beach area is home to about 15 smaller hotels and condo developments, and has a quaint, relaxed feel to it most of the time. Walking from one end of the beach to the other, takes about 15 minutes (with two children in tow), so we often did this several times a day.

This hotel's location on the beach is ideal, as it is pretty much dead center. There are several restaurants in either direction on the beach, as well as a small 'mall' located a block behind the hotel, which had a couple of cute shops, coffee shops, an ATM, and a few other recommended restaurants. This is also where you would go to catch a taxi if you wish to go into town.

To be completely honest in my assessment of this hotel, at this point its target market is clearly couples and single adult travellers who have come on an all-inclusive package. In truth, this can be said about many of the hotels in West Bay. We had initially hoped to be part of the all-inclusive as well, but were told when we booked the 2 bedroom villa, that this was not an option.

Breakfast, (and a great breakfast it was, with lots of choices and fantastic fresh fruits every day), was included in our stay, but beyond that, we either cooked in our room or ate out at restaurants in the area. Roatan is much newer to tourism than say Hawaii or Mexico, (one of the main reasons it appealed to us), but as a result, this hotel and others in the area, weren't necessarily designed with young travellers in mind. For instance, the pools were too deep for younger children, we didn't see things like high chairs in the restaurants, etc.

That being said, our kids had a fabulous time!! The staff were warm and welcoming and treated us and our little ones with kindness and care. The beach is absolutely ideal for children, and with almost no surf, we felt very comfortable lounging under a palapa, while our 6 and 2 year olds ran in and out of the clear, bathtub warm water. We spent hours on the beach every day, which was exactly what we had hoped for. Our 6 year old tried snorkelling for the first time, and loved it!

The two bedroom villa we stayed in was fantastic, and well provisioned. The kitchen had a large fridge, freezer, microwave, stove and all the dishes we could need - (except for wine glasses - but hopefully the hotel has resolved this :). The bottom level of the villa offered the kitchen and living room. Up a small stair case was a bedroom with two single beds and a bathroom, (perfect for the kids), and up a larger staircase was the master bedroom (king bed), second bathroom and decks with views to die for. The only issue we had, and we have addressed this with the staff at hotel and I wouldn't be surprised if it has already been dealt with, is that there is a large drop-off from the landing at the top of the stairs by the master bedroom, which is a real problem with little children. It would be an easy fix, with an additional piece of wood put below the top of the railing, and as I said, I'm sure the staff will have looked into this.

At night, before dinner, we would make a margarita or pour a glass of wine, and bring everyone up to the balcony off the master bedroom and watch the sunset. It was phenomenal, and I have been missing it ever since. In regards to cooking meals, groceries in town are very reasonable and there are at least three large supermarkets, in which you can find just about everything you need. *Make sure you bring ID with you to the store, if you are paying with your credit card.*

Eating out is a bit of an adventure, and lots of fun. If you are eating out with kids, we HIGHLY recommend that you get to the restaurants no later than 5:30, before most other diners arrive. If you leave it much later, you may find, as we did on several occasions, that you are waiting an hour or an hour and a half for food, which is a bit of a challenge with little people. (We finally broke down and brought the iPad to dinner with us towards the third week to put on a movie - I know, SAD - but it helped with the waiting and kept everyone at our table, and around our table, happy :). Also, during the second week of our stay at this hotel, they opened up a take-out pizza place, which was great, and offered a quick, easy meal which we could eat back at our room. On Monday nights, (I believe), they offered 2 for 1 pizzas, which were a great deal.

I cannot say enough about the staff at this hotel! They were fantastic, and lots of fun!! The wait staff at breakfast, the bar staff, the cleaning staff and the front desk staff were exceptional. The manager, (Harry?), would be seen many times a day checking on the hotel operations and making sure guests were being taken care of. We were glad we had a chance to meet him towards the end of our stay and tell him how happy we were with the lovely resort!! (And a special thanks to the security guard Juan, at the beach, who watched over us and our stuff daily).

*The only other thing I would mention is that if you are visiting as a couple, do choose the all-inclusive (or half board) as opposed to staying in a one bedroom suite to cook your meals. The kitchens are very basic in the suites, (as the two sets of grandparents were to discover) and are not really meant for cooking in. After my husband, kids and I left, my parents changed over to the all-inclusive and really enjoyed it. The dinners were served in a different place each night, and they loved the food, the ambiance and getting to meet other guests.

Lastly, I wanted to note that we had no problems or issues with safety or security at any point during our stay in Roatan - and we toured around the whole island more than once. Clearly we used common sense, and weren't wandering around downtown in the bar scene at 2:00 a.m., but we felt extremely comfortable at all times during our visit. We would bring young children back here without hesitation.

This a really good hotel, well on its way to becoming great. We would stay here again in a heart beat. Thank you to all the staff for our wonderful, wonderful stay. We miss Roatan and we miss the Paradise Beach Resort!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
19 Thank Sarahpaul77
Vina del Mar, Chile
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2013

I was previously on other Caribbean islands, and I liked them very much, but nothing compare to Roatan! Very advantageous is, that the people on the island speak Spanish as well as English. The Paradise Resorts offer many activities and excursions for all interests. It has a wonderful sandy beach with crystal clear, well-tempered water that you can enjoy even early in the morning, when everything is still very quiet.

From the very attractively designed terrace with swimming pool and bar at the top of the four storey hotel of the resort you can enjoy a magnificent view over the entire West Bay and the surrounding mountains. For me, this place was particularly pleasing to my daily Qi Gong and meditation exercises. Afterwards we could then enjoy a full breakfast in the beautiful garden restaurant. Equally rewarding was it to enjoy the wonderful atmosphere at dusk with an aperitif at the beach bar before savoring the always tasteful cooked dinner with a wide choice of dishes.

Also particularly worth mentioning are the exceptionally friendliness and professionalism of the employees. The rooms are very cozy and clean. Especially I want to mention the great and ready-witted illumination in the bathrooms, an important detail which you seldom find so appropriate even in great hotels.

Finally, as vegetarian I have particularly appreciated the large selection of salads and fruits (everything was totally fresh and hygienically impeccable). I never had the slightest health problem as one sometimes has on other trips with so much raw food. We were certainly not for the last time in Paradise Hotels Resort!

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Hans547
Juan Pablo G, Public Relations Manager at Paradise Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2013
Dear Guest,

We are always pleased to read reviews which highlight the natural beauty and surroundings of our Hotel. Thank you for pointing out the natural beauty of the Island, as this is something that all guests are able to enjoy regardless of where they stay. Roatan is a gorgeous island and we welcome any and all that want to enjoy our island and its treasures.

We look forward to your next visit and we hope to see you soon,

Paradise Hotels and Resorts.
Orangeville, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

Hotel is full of charm, nestled in amongst lovely gardens. Quiet and private small resort blends beautifully with its environment Rooms were clean and well maintained. Staff was very helpful, friendly and efficient. Beach was clean with lots of activities fir those that wanted them. Relaxing and quiet for those that didn't. Can't say enough positive things about it. Would love to return to the same resort. It truly is a little bit of paradise.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Bensonclan
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and we are pleased that you were able to enjoy the best that Roatan and Paradise Beach Hotel had to offer.

We look forward to your return trip, so that you can continue to explore the beauty of Roatan,

Paradise Hotels & Resorts.
Also consider these accommodations in or near West Bay
Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort
Foster's West Bay
Foster's West Bay
#9 of 14 in West Bay

Been to Paradise Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!