“3.8 Rustic & Clean Resort”

Henry Morgan Beach Resort
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We spent one week at Henry Morgan during our March Break. March 10-17, 2014

We flew out of Montreal on a Canjet plane. Unfortunately we all had to sit in the plane for an hour and a half before takeoff. The plane had problems with the computer system and they had to call in a technician. Better safe than sorry! We also had to be de-iced. We were all very anxious to start our vacation. Oh well, stuff happens!

We arrived at the Roatan airport and we were greeted by our Nolitours rep. We were given our bracelets and escorted onto a bus, a very packed bus! Our luggage went on another truck. Tip: the road was really bumpy with lots of curves, up and down, make sure you use the bathroom before you get on that bus! I didn’t know we would be going up the mountain and down again. Hang on!

Beach & Location 5 star
We arrived at our resort and we were greeted with a drink. Everybody lined up at the front desk to check in but we went straight to the beach. We waited until most of the people were gone from the front desk and then we checked in. We asked for the second floor but that didn’t happen. Oh well, we are pretty easy going. We rolled our bags down the long boardwalk to our room. I would describe it as a rustic cabin in the rainforest. The block of rooms are far back from the beach, surrounded by a moat. There is water flowing around the cabins which are on stilts. The water was clear which contained small fish and did not smell. In certain places where the concrete sewage containers were, there was a smell. We have seen this at every resort we have been too, even a 5 star Bahia!

We introduced ourselves to the bartender in the lobby and he quickly became our go-to guy. His name was Nelson and he made us a wonderful drink. For the rest of the week we just asked for a Nelson special!

Buffet 2 stars
We went into the buffet for lunch and I have to say that this is where the resort needs help! Most of the trays were empty or they contained something that did not look very appetizing. We figured it was because it was the last ½ hour of the buffet. They always had rice! We went to the buffet early for dinner and it was the same. We didn’t stave, we had rice and chicken that was very very crispy! We don’t eat bread…..I wish I did…..they had lots of bread! Lots of donuts…..they did have a pasta station. I tried the white wine and I couldn’t drink it. That was the first and last supper we had at the buffet.

Breakfast: They have an amazing omelet lady. She can make 5 omelets at once! They were amazing! Every morning we had an omelet and fresh fruit. The fruit runs out early so go for the fruit first! Again, if you are into toast, cereal, donuts, you will be ok.

Beach Restaurant- 3.5
Lunch: We had lunch at the beach restaurant. The omelet lady is there too! She makes tacos, enchilada, gringos and great fries. They also have a small buffet that opens up with rice, fresh fish, and veggies and lots of fruit. We ate there every day and loved it.

Supper: We explored the restaurants all along the beach. I know we paid for an all-inclusive but I just didn’t want to eat rice again, I felt like I was on survivor. We went to Bananarama 3 times. Wonderful big portions of garlic shrimp. The portions were so big that we shared the next day. They also have a two for one drink each night. We also went to the Argentinian grill. I had read about the size of the filet migion so again we ordered one and shared. The wine was excellent….a very short walk along the beach, just beautiful. We went to Gio’s as recommended by our rep. Its 5 dollars for a taxi through the hotel. It was an interesting experience. The crab legs were huge but they didn’t taste like our Canadian crab legs. Both my husband and I didn’t like the crab but loved the shrimp and lobster tails. There was another family that traveled to the restaurant with us. The two guys liked the crab but the two ladies did not. So I guess it’s just a personal choice!

Rooms 3.5 stars
The rooms are ok. We have been really spoiled with ocean views in the past. There are none here. There are no bathtubs but that didn’t bother us. Nothing was broken in our room but it’s definitely in need of some tender loving care. We had hot water but on occasion it would turn ice cold for a few seconds, similar to someone flushing a toilet at home! You just learn to leap forward! The safe is very small. We had a king size bed and it was firm and comfortable. We did go to the front desk and ask for more pillows and they were in our room later. The TV was a nice flat screen but the remote didn’t work, they gave us another remote and it didn’t work either, so we just gave up, we weren’t there to watch TV. anyways. We did turn it on late at night and we were surprised at all the channels…the English ones are way up around channel 70! The rooms were clean and that was the most important thing to us. We did hear the people above us walking around. We kept the air conditioner fan on all night and that helped for white noise.

This is definitely the best beach area in West Bay. There was never any trouble getting a chair or chair pad. We tipped the guy on the beach and he was ready with our chair pads every morning. I wish I would have gotten his name, I asked him but he couldn’t speak. All I could do was sign to him in my very limited sign language skills! The beach is pretty quiet until the cruise ships arrive. Wednesday is insane, that is a good day to go somewhere else! I didn’t mind, I am a people watcher. If you are into hand-made silver jewelry, make sure you see Karla at Karma jewelry on the beach. She is on the left side (if you are facing the water) and she sets up her booth around 9-1. You can check her out on YouTube.

The water is so clear, the snorkeling is amazing. There are people walking up and down the beach constantly selling anything from t-shirts to banana donuts! We sat back at our beach and we were not bothered. I couldn’t believe these guys walking the beach back and forth all day long and some with a cooler on the shoulder!

Entertainment 3 stars
I did participate in water aerobics every day but skipped the dancing.
We didn’t make it to many of the evening shows, we were just too tired. Also the sound was so loud and distorted; we would get a drink and go to our room. The outdoor fire show was decent and on the last night they had local dance. We enjoyed seeing local costumes and dancing.

Staff 5 stars
The staff was fantastic at this resort. Ask them their name, get to know them and they will treat you like gold. Hat’s off to Nelson and Angel for taking care of us all week and the omelet lady whose name is so long…..all I could remember was super something and she was super!
We came to Roatan for the snorkeling and we were not disappointed but since this review is supposed to be about Henry Morgan resort, here are my final thoughts: The staff and the beach make me want to return….but the food, lack of view and money value is a concern. The price we paid was way too high for what you get at this resort. Many people in the forum said that this is not a typical all inclusive and they are right. We would go back if the price was right, the location is amazing.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Angel_eh

Reviewed 6 April 2014

Everything you read in the reviews for HM are all true, the good the bad and the ugly. We travelled with our 10 yr old son over March/Spring break. Even w/out a kids camp, he loved his vacation because the resort was small enough so all the kids his age were able to connect around the pool.
Best: 1) Beach and Snorkeling - short distance from resort. We took several boat trips to other snorkel areas that weren't any better than right by the resort on west bay beach.
2) The Pool area was the quietest and chilled place to relax. Unlike other resorts where lounge chairs are always hard to come by, we could always get a lounger at the pool (and the beach for that matter). but the beach was too smoky from all the lol french canadian smokers!!
3) Charming Resort made of wood. We've travelled to many "family" AI locales in the Carribbean and beyond, but it was truly charming to stay in a resort that had bleached white local wood everywhere including our room. It was just so much more pleasant than the marble/granite or ceramic floor at other resorts that makes you feel like you are sleeping in a large bathroom. The grounds have nice foliage, coconuts, huge birds of prey and other greenery, as well as cats, dragonflys and lots of iguanas and gekkos.
4) Resort Staff - hands down their staff are some of the most honest, hardworking, ernest and caring people we have come across vacationing. From the restaurant manager and wait staff, to the pool boys, to housekeeping and the animation team who danced and sang their hearts out each and every night, they all made the trip that much more enjoyable and memorable. This goes for local folks too.

Not so great: Mosquitos, sand fleas, malaria and a very hot central american sun. Bring lots of protection for both these situations. Sunburns or multiple bug bites will dampen your stay. PS you can get a massive burn from snorkeling in the water. we ended up with burns on our butts/backs/bikini lines. So dont forget to protect your backside when in water!
Water pressure - on 2nd floor it was weaker, really a drizzle, and not much hot water.
Food schedule - each meal is served for 2 hours, so we felt a bit of pressure to follow an enforced eating schedule. This isn't a big deal, as you could always go out to eat, but it would be ideal to have breakfast/brunch later than 9:30am.
Food selection: buffet selection is very primitive, not appealing to North American palate. And most of the desserts had a wet consistency like flan, which isn't a bad thing per se but after a couple of nights of this gets off putting. They tried muffins and other baked items but all are big fails. They try really hard, but this was the worse part of the vacation. It's not just availability of produce, the produce was fine, it was the cooking style, sauces etc, it might be appealing to central/south americans more than northerners. I don't mean that we wanted burgers and milkshakes. But other than the beach shack lunch which had some tacos, enchiladas etc, we didn't see many Hondurian/Spanish entrees other than beans and tortillas and jarred salsa at breakfast and I think there were tamales one night. If you are a foodie and food is a really important part of your vacation, then this might not be the resort for you. Especially as the price range of HM is similar to others that had way better food. This is the one area of contention my family is in dispute about if we would rebook again or not.

Would I go again - yes for a good deal
Would I recommend to friends - yes but with clear warnings about the not so great stuff.

Room Tip: If you have kids/mobility issues, ask for room close to lobby. 2nd floor is quieter, but no water pr...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank crawlingkitty
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Just got back from Roatan, Honduras April 1, stayed at the Henry Morgan Resort in West Bay Beach. Have previously stayed there and will stay there again. The HM has greatly improved their buffet since my last visit and we really enjoyed the new menu items and the new buffet location. The HM staff are the best they make sure each guest is enjoying there stay and are eager to do anything they can do to improve on it. The bar staff work so hard making drinks and filling those Bubbas smiling all the while, and those afternoon donuts at the beach bar wonderful treat. The staff are polite, funny, energetic and very kind really can't say enough about the great job they do. The HM beach is the best in West Bay lots of room for everyone and the care taken to keep the beach area clean is outstanding, the young man doing the raking and beach clean-up every morning is very hard working and clearly cares about what his is doing. Can't wait to return to the Henry Morgan and Roatan!

Room Tip: Second floor rooms less noise but, bottom floor rooms better water pressure.
7  Thank NicoleA26
Reviewed 1 April 2014

This trip was exceptional. We weren't sure of what to expect after reading some of the other reviews. We were very pleasantly surprised. The resort was just fine. People need to not be so picky. If you're booking at a 3 1/2 star, don't expect a 5 star. The rooms are a cottage-y feel. The buildings are wood, the floors are wood, and the bed frames are wood. The mattresses are very firm (which was fine for us) but the pillows were thin and this caused some neck tightness. The rooms were kept clean. We (my husband, my daughter, my son, my daughter, and myself) had more than enough room. The room consisted of 2 double beds, we had a single bed brought in for our son and there was still enough room. There were 2 closets with shelves, hangers, lights, and a full built in dresser. More than enough storage. The bathroom was big enough. There were 2 switches in the bathroom. One switch is for the lights, the other switch was for the hot water in the shower/bath tub. We always had hot water in the sink tap, and there was enough hot water for all 4 of us after a day at the beach. There wasn't a lot of pressure like you'd have at home but was plenty for my long hair and my daughter's hair. Was there a bit of mold (I think) along the inside of the track of the shower door? yes a bit. You're in a humid country, some mold is going to grow, no different than your own bathroom if you don't have ventilation. The island brings in the electricity from the mainland, so there isn't fans in the bathroom to ventilate. Was it disgusting? no.
The food was EXCELLENT! More than enough choices, more than enough food ALWAYS, always the right temperature, and not one of us got sick. Our son is very particular and he didn't have one complaint. The service in the buffet restaurant in the main building was excellent. We noticed that even the manager worked hard. He didn't just stand around supervising, he cleared tables, he served people their drinks, he re filled food at the buffet, he re stocked the plates and silverware. Some North American managers could learn from him. After the diners had left, not only were the tables and chairs wiped down, they put on new tablecloths, not just flipped them over.
There is a strong European and Italian influence on the food. Lots of fresh pasta, fruits, veg, fish, and the salad bar had so many choices.
The beach bar has a restaurant. At lunch this place is THE place to be. It is also a buffet, smaller than the main restaurant but more than enough choices as well. Fresh grilled meat everyday, fresh salad/fruit/veg, fresh pasta, and other grains and meat. The best is the homemade empanadas, tacos, burritos, nachos, and freshly cut potatoes for fresh fries. No complaints here!
The alcohol is not the cheap stuff that we've found at resorts before. They serve 4 year old rum as the first choice, good Swedish vodka as the first choice. Not the cheap Bacardi or Smirnoff. They also served canned beer, not draft (which is cheaper). We were surprised with this considering it's an all inclusive resort, you'd think they'd serve cheap booze but not here they don't.
This hotel has the best beach out of all the resorts along this side. It's the widest and the deepest (talking about land size). Plenty of beach loungers, never had to get up at the crack of dawn to reserve one. There is a hotel beach worker who will supply you with a cushion for the lounger. A nice gesture that deserved the guy a tip because he was attentive and paid attention to who was just arriving at the beach and made sure you had a cushion before you even sat down or put your things down. Beach washrooms are just a few steps away behind the beach restaurant bar. They were always clean, never a line up. The resort was busy when we were there and we never had to wait long at the bar. There is a small wait at lunch for the homemade goodies but well worth it. Everyday around 3:30pm, the bar puts out warm, freshly homemade, sugar cake donuts. They are the best and fly off out of the showcase faster than you can run out of the water to get them! They were the death of my healthy eating diet!
There were activities during the afternoon. Not as many as some places we've been too but I think it's because people prefer to be in the water swimming, snorkelling, or walking the beach. I've never been to a resort where so many people WANTED to be active and be in the water seeing the beauty below. There was beach volleyball everyday that had a line up of people that wanted to play each day. There was pool aerobics, and ocean aerobics, hoops (like horseshoes), and bocce ball. If you're a scuba diver or want to try it out, this place is perfect. Not only is there a great dive shop right here on the resort, the boat is right on the beach as well. My husband is a dive instructor, dive master with over 1500 dives and he was pretty impressed with the shop and the fact that the boat was right there was a huge bonus in his eyes. No getting up early, and waiting for a taxi. I've seen that people complained that the boats are somewhat in and out of the swimming area. This really isn't an issue because they are going fast at all, they are very aware of the swimmers and snorkelers that are all over the swimming area. The boat driver's were very safe. My husband is a Captain Training Officer in the fire department, and I'm a nurse, so we are always looking at safety issues, and there wasn't a concern here for us at all.
It is well worth it to get yourself some good snorkelling equipment for the trip and spend hours using it watching the beauty below. Great snorkelling right on this beach and if you walked down the beach to point, you'd find the best snorkelling ever. My husband has been all over the Caribbean diving and snorkelling and he found this by far the best right off the beach snorkelling ever.
There were no safety concerns walking down the beach, and we went off the beach walking down into the little town and shops. No leering from the locals, no harassment either. I walked with my daughter alone and had no concerns of being robbed, or assaulted in any way whatsoever (I would never have done this in Dominican, Cuba, Mexico, or Margarita Island).
There are beach vendors walking around and selling things as per usual but they weren't overwhelming and they didn't stick around harassing you either. I found the ladies that were selling the services of head massage, or hair braiding more of a pain. They seemed to push a bit more but they got the hint after a few "no thank you's". You will notice private security guards on the beach at the resort. This is so the vendors cannot come up to you on your lounger. The vendors have to stay behind an invisible line and not bother you. I asked one sunglasses vendor to come up a bit closer to me so I could see what he had, and the security guard came over right away and informed me that I'd have to go down a few feet closer to the water to do business. I can appreciate this. I can't tell you how many times I've felt ticked off because of the relentless vendors in Mexico etc.
The pool is huge, and very well maintained. We saw it getting cleaned, more than a few times during the day.
I've seen pics of people's bug bites. My husband got a bunch of bites, but myself and the kids only got a few bites. I think he got his because he was down in the sand when the sun went down some days and that's when those sand flees come out. I'm usually the one who gets eaten alive by mosquitoes but I got a total of 4 bites all week. I didn't even use bug spray, nor did the kids.
The island will take American money, and their Lempira. If you want smaller American bills, the main lobby desk does this for you at no charge. I'd go almost every morning with a $10 or $20 asking for singles for tips. It is such a convenience!
I loved that English is such a strong language on this island. You could go anywhere and be able to communicate, such a huge bonus.
The islanders speaks English, French, Spanish, and Italian.
We went zip lining, and toured Gumbalimba park. Loved it. What a wonderful way to spend the afternoon. Bring your money with you and you can get a DVD/disk made. We booked that through our tour operator. We also spent an afternoon snorkelling with the dolphins. We booked that here in Canada before we even left for our trip. It was cheaper this way. Google West Bay Tours, Honduras. Avi Desousa is one of the operators. Another great afternoon, with wonderful memories. Bring your money or credit card with you on this tour. After you have had your half hour snorkelling with the dolphins, you go to the gift shop and they can make a DVD/disk of your tour. We have some fantastic forever pictures now. Both disks did not cost much at all, they are not gouging you on this.
We didn't get enough bottles of water in our room fridge for all 4 of us. We had to ask at the desk twice and we still didn't get them. We went to our Nolitour operator and rec'd them in minutes. We had to ask for the single bed/cot twice as well. There is a little disconnect between the workers at the desk who speak English very well, and the housekeeper/maid who does not speak good English.
The resort is a little weathered. It is not a wreck though. I liked the cottage-y feel to the rooms. Yes you have to walk a little (1-2minutes, tops) to get from your room to the main lobby (not a big deal). It's a total of 3 minutes from your room to the pool and beach. It is not inconvenient like some people have stated on the reviews. I suggest taking in the surroundings as you walk. There's beautiful flowers, resort cats, little lizards, termite trails, etc. to see.
One downfall though, is the lack of nightly shows. The resort simply just doesn't have enough activities workers, not enough money, and/or not enough knowledge of what tourist have come to expect after being to other islands and resorts. We've travelled quite a bit and stayed at many 3 1/2 star resorts with much better activities and nightly shows.
We have already decided that we will be going back to Roatan next winter and we will be staying here at Henry Morgan again.
After reading through all of the reviews (with a grain of salt), you'll notice that many travellers return to Henry Morgan. Clearly the resort isn't that bad if so many are returning, and some (like us) will be staying for even longer. We're planning for 2 weeks next year!
We are planning already for next year to come back here. We will not be staying for one week, it'll be for 2 weeks! That's how much we enjoyed it here. It was not just the spectacular sun and heat, not just the diving and snorkelling, but the WHOLE package including this great little resort.

8  Thank mcliche1
Reviewed 30 March 2014

The Henry Morgan Resort is priced close to its competitors and it is a hotel with some years on its back.
One way we felt this was their power generator. When there was no electricity and the generator was running there was no aircondition and hot water. One night there was no electricity at all until next morning at 9:00. The rooms got very hot, when the windows almost does not open (another thing that needs maintenance at HM).
The staff is mostly very friendly though most of it is not very competent. You get a lot of smiles, and your beverages served after you finished eating.
The food is always fresh, healthy and in great variety, though the once best prepared are the Honduran dishes and the pasta. The breakfast is very good, though we missed the orange juice. What they serve you is an artificial drink with orange taste. Sometimes you could get the waiter to prepare a lemonade or orangeade - but you would have to wait for it.

The location and the surroundings of HM are perfect. There is trees and palms all over providing shade and a tropical atmosphere. The buildings are dark on the inside but still giving a nice atmosphere as well.
The swimming pool is big and warmer than the ocean. There is no shower at the entrance from the main building and only few people shower before going in. This probably contributes to the unclear water. Leafs are removed from the pool during the day.

The night that the electricity was completely gone all the employees managed to hide - management as well. There was no information at all, and the guests was left to themselves. After 15 minutes we got tired of waiting and went to bed. Fortunately we had a smartphone that served as a flashlight, and we could find our way the the room and got to bed. On the way to the room at least half of the emergency lights was not working - lack of maintenance. That the generator had problems was not something new to management, as both other guests and employees told us that there had been problems with it for some time.
The TV in the rooms does not work. Except for a few Italian channels the rest was mostly snow.

Overall Henry Morgan seems like a nice hotel in good surroundings, with lack of a good management and maintenance.

Room Tip: Insist on getting a room on first floor. The rooms at the ground floor are dark and hot. Because of...
4  Thank homaxto
Reviewed 29 March 2014

My recent stay at the Henry Morgan was my second time on the island. I knew the island provided an excellent winter escape, particularly because I love snorkelling off the beach. However, I was slightly concerned about the negative reviews about the HM. The resort met my expectations and more. We were a large group - seniors, children and parents. All enjoyed their stay. Special requests were accommodated by the hotel staff, the beach and snorkelling were fabulous, the food and drinks were quite acceptable, and the hardworking staff were friendly. Thank you for making the lobby and other resort areas non-smoking. I will definitely return to the HM.

Recommendation - open the coffee bar in the morning. The coffee is so good!

3  Thank Trudester
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We were recently at the Henry Morgan Resort March 17th for 1 week. We found the staff very friendly. Excellent value for the money. The beach was clean and safe. The rooms were cleaned daily and the maid decorated with a different "towel" animal every day. The food was very good also. I also went scuba diving with the onset dive organization. One of the best I have experienced in 30 years of diving!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
#19 of 42 in Roatan
Paradise Beach Hotel
Paradise Beach Hotel
#4 of 14 in West Bay

Been to Henry Morgan Beach Resort? Share your experiences!