“Amazing 3 Star Hotel”

Henry Morgan Beach Resort
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
Reviewed 1 May 2014

In Roatan you can find from backpakers hostals to 5 star hotels. But you can't expect to pay a 5 star hotel service in a 3 star hotel. Rooms are spacious and comfortables, villas are amazing. We spend great family time in the living room area. Staff was very friendly and helpful. In this hotel the staff is not the problem, perhaps, the food (not varied enough) we were there for 4 nights and we ate almost the same thing at dinner and breakfast! Gym compounds were hideous, the salt has rotten the materials.
Pool water is amazing at night!

Room Tip: Choose the villas rooms, and dont reserve online, try to do it from Honduras, its much much cheaper...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Arleni U

Reviewed 29 April 2014

This resort is not for those with high standards for rooms or food. The food and rooms are Ok by my wife and I. The A/C was loud. I do need to say I was happy they sent someone right away both times I told them about it which was impressive since it is an older resort and maintenance is a big job for them. It was still pretty loud which sucked but "E" for effort. The food was local stuff mostly. They do try to make some American type food but it's not the same.... Bacon only once for breakfast. But we were well fed and served well by the staff. That's really the only major negatives in my opinion. So if you are scared off by now I'll tell you the good stuff.
West Bay Area is the best. Find the reef to either side of HM about 150 ft out. Not that far. And it is worth it! We went night snorkelling with Ariana from TGI diving. Bio-luminescence, an octopus, crabs, sea cucumbers, sea urchins... etc. We found turtles and lion fish on other day trip. Scooter rentals are a good idea for a day trip. They allow you 24hrs so we stayed out late. You could go to West End after touring. We found so many paradise spots along the way! We took a zip line tour and a park that had monkeys and macaws. They let us interact with them too! So funny!! The best part and coolest thing off our bucket list was the Dolphin swim. Yup! You can free swim about 15-25 dolphins after the trainers give you a 1/2 hr encounter in shallow water with them. You get to pet them and they've trained them to kiss you!!
There you go. In conclusion we were very happy at HM in Roatan. Going with the less expensive resort left us with enough to go off resort to experience some pretty cool activities. And likely the pricing we were given wasn't inflated either in comparison.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Frugfans
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Not A Fan

I have been to other 3 star resorts and been happier.

Staff
Great, hard working people. A shout out to Clara and Roman. You guys are the reason why I am not totally panning this place.

Check-in
It was brutal, took more than an hour. Only 2 staff trying to check in 4 bus loads of guests. They were doing all they could. We were greeted with music, dancing and a cocktail, it could have been fun. No real chairs in the lobby, just gigantic day beds. They were very uncomfortable after ten minutes unless you laid down.

Room
It was decent. Lots of space to put our clothes. TV with more channels than I needed. Lots of hot water, decent pressure, more than enough towels. The bar fridge worked, it had 2 small bottles of drinking water. The safe was tiny, we left our electronics locked in our luggage and just left our passports and cash in the safe. The bed was just right for me, I slept like a log. The whole place is made of wood so if you are a light sleeper noise might be an issue. Housekeeping did a good job keeping the room clean.

My big complaint here is that there is no drinking water anywhere near the rooms. You had to walk all the way back to reception to refill your water bottles.

Buffet
My first thoughts were, that if you couldn’t find anything here to eat you are too much of a princess and should never have left your palace. There was a good selection of fruits and vegetables, pasta station and usually pork or beef and chicken and fish, if you showed up early. The Chilean wine was good. Then we ate later one night, about 30 mins before it closed. That was a challenge, because most of the dishes were not replaced or refilled, leaving slim pickings. I am not a big dessert guy but there was a selection of tarts, pastries and ice cream. I found the buffet noisy and at times frantic as people rushed to get food while they could.

Bar
This was a big fail and not because of the staff. Very poor selection of drinks. I was willing to pay more but even the premium selection was limited. Only one whiskey, it was a blended scotch. No bourbon, JD or rye. In spite of the fact that there are 4 decent local beers (Barena, Salva Vida, Port Royal and Imperial) they only beer they had was a disagreeable imported can called Meester.

I do not usually believe complaints of watered down liquor. A new friend complained that they were seriously watering down their liquor. So one morning when the bar opened at 11, we taste tested straight shots. I now believe that they watered down their Rum, Gin and Vodka. After that we went down the beach to buy beers and drank at other resorts, one of which we will be staying at next time.

Beach & Pool
Pool was never crowded, a good deep end and also steps into the shallow end. Good shade and chairs always available. LOL as you walk past the pool watch out for the splash as kids cannon ball.

Right at HM is where the beach sand is at its widest so there was always lounge chairs available. Small towel games only for some peoples’ preferred spots but lots of room and shade. My issue is with all the boats anchored right on the beach. Dive boats and water taxis constantly coming and going made me more than a bit nervous about swimming in front of the resort. The best snorkeling is way down at the end of the beach. It is worth the 15 minute walk to get there. In front of Infinity Bay is the best snorkeling I have ever found. Food availability at the beach snack bar was very erratic in spite of posted hours, eat it when you see it because when it is gone, it is gone!

Biting Bugs:
Don’t just take bug spray, use it. I didn’t feel the bug bites until they were itchy. Didn’t even see them flying around or crawling in the sand.

Flashlights; remember to stick them in your bag when you go for dinner because it will be dark on the way back to your room.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank NotAtHome55
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I enjoyed 2 weeks at Henry Morgan, Roatan, April 7 to 21, 2014.
This was our 5th time staying at H.M. We know it is not a 5 star
Resort and know what to expect when we book our vacation.
The staff at the resort are all very friendly and try their best to
be helpful and sociable even if they do not speak or understand
much English. The housekeepers do a great job each day cleaning
and taking care of the rooms. Jorge and the entire buffet restaurant
staff make dining a pleasurable experience (breakfast,lunch, dinner)
The beach bar/lunch restaurant was also very good as an option
for casual lunch in beach or pool attire.
We enjoyed 18 exciting, fun dives with T.G.I. Diving.
We enjoyed our stay at H.M. so much that the 2 weeks
stay felt more like one!
We will surely return, and maybe stay 3 weeks next time.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I'm by no means a traveller that needs or wants to be pampered and waited on hand and foot, but given that I booked this resort at an on sale price, I feel I got what I paid for but my husband and I most definitely will not be back unless it is again on sale for a very low price.

Yes the rooms were clean and the staff was very friendly, but the wooden construction of the rooms makes them horribly noisy; the food was only edible at best and it was repetitive (same dishes appeared 3 times in a 1 week stay) and not labelled; the pool needed better cleaning; the alcohol was watered down; the only place to get drinking water was in reception...not near the rooms; and it's too much walking for people with mobility issues, my husband being one of them, but we knew this going there, just didn't realize how much walking he would have to do.

The hair dryer did not work from the day we checked in and it took my speaking directly to the front desk 3 times before it was replaced. Not a big issue, but "island time" seems to rule there...everything good and slow.

Also, because my husband cannot walk far (spinal injuries) and in Canada is considered "disabled", and cannot climb stairs, I requested a ground floor room in either buildings 2, 1, 7 or 8 in that order of preference. I even sent an email to reservations, in both English and Spanish, requesting same and explaining why I needed the ground floor room in great detail and my request was acknowledged by return email. When we arrived, we were assigned a room in building 2 on the second floor with the explanation that "everyone wants the second floor". We were told that there were no spare rooms available and if we wanted a ground floor room, we had to negotiate with the next people that check in and swap rooms. This is a completely unacceptable treatment of a disabled person they were previously advised about.

Overall, my experience is "I got what I paid for" so not complaining here, merely stating facts in the hopes this might help others.

Room Tip: There are no "good" rooms. It's all wooden construction and you'll hear everythin...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Dogmother2002
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Visited Henry Morgan Resort after a 5 year absence. Everything is pretty much the same. The rooms are rustic but charming and clean. The rooms are a bit of a hike from the beach. Beds are comfortable. The check in process was a bit slow and annoying but after that everything was terrific. Food is very good with an excellent selection and lots of fresh fruit and veggies. Love having the dive shop right on site. Lobby area is cozy and welcoming. The beach is excellent (although busier and more developed than 5 years ago). Great place for families and couples. Not the best if you are a "party animal" as the bar closes at 11pm (which is fine with us since we are usually in bed early after a tiring day of diving and snorkelling). Fantastic snorkelling just a short walk up the beach. Lots of other bars and restaurants nearby if you wish to avail yourself. The pool is clean and warm. Quite a few cats on the property but they are friendly and since I love cats this was not a problem for me.

Room Tip: We preferred an upper room since you cannot hear your upstairs neighbours walking around.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Suzanne V
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We spent one week at Henry Morgan during our March Break. March 10-17, 2014

We flew out of Montreal on a Canjet plane. Unfortunately we all had to sit in the plane for an hour and a half before takeoff. The plane had problems with the computer system and they had to call in a technician. Better safe than sorry! We also had to be de-iced. We were all very anxious to start our vacation. Oh well, stuff happens!

We arrived at the Roatan airport and we were greeted by our Nolitours rep. We were given our bracelets and escorted onto a bus, a very packed bus! Our luggage went on another truck. Tip: the road was really bumpy with lots of curves, up and down, make sure you use the bathroom before you get on that bus! I didn’t know we would be going up the mountain and down again. Hang on!

Beach & Location 5 star
We arrived at our resort and we were greeted with a drink. Everybody lined up at the front desk to check in but we went straight to the beach. We waited until most of the people were gone from the front desk and then we checked in. We asked for the second floor but that didn’t happen. Oh well, we are pretty easy going. We rolled our bags down the long boardwalk to our room. I would describe it as a rustic cabin in the rainforest. The block of rooms are far back from the beach, surrounded by a moat. There is water flowing around the cabins which are on stilts. The water was clear which contained small fish and did not smell. In certain places where the concrete sewage containers were, there was a smell. We have seen this at every resort we have been too, even a 5 star Bahia!

We introduced ourselves to the bartender in the lobby and he quickly became our go-to guy. His name was Nelson and he made us a wonderful drink. For the rest of the week we just asked for a Nelson special!

Buffet 2 stars
We went into the buffet for lunch and I have to say that this is where the resort needs help! Most of the trays were empty or they contained something that did not look very appetizing. We figured it was because it was the last ½ hour of the buffet. They always had rice! We went to the buffet early for dinner and it was the same. We didn’t stave, we had rice and chicken that was very very crispy! We don’t eat bread…..I wish I did…..they had lots of bread! Lots of donuts…..they did have a pasta station. I tried the white wine and I couldn’t drink it. That was the first and last supper we had at the buffet.

Breakfast: They have an amazing omelet lady. She can make 5 omelets at once! They were amazing! Every morning we had an omelet and fresh fruit. The fruit runs out early so go for the fruit first! Again, if you are into toast, cereal, donuts, you will be ok.

Beach Restaurant- 3.5
Lunch: We had lunch at the beach restaurant. The omelet lady is there too! She makes tacos, enchilada, gringos and great fries. They also have a small buffet that opens up with rice, fresh fish, and veggies and lots of fruit. We ate there every day and loved it.

Supper: We explored the restaurants all along the beach. I know we paid for an all-inclusive but I just didn’t want to eat rice again, I felt like I was on survivor. We went to Bananarama 3 times. Wonderful big portions of garlic shrimp. The portions were so big that we shared the next day. They also have a two for one drink each night. We also went to the Argentinian grill. I had read about the size of the filet migion so again we ordered one and shared. The wine was excellent….a very short walk along the beach, just beautiful. We went to Gio’s as recommended by our rep. Its 5 dollars for a taxi through the hotel. It was an interesting experience. The crab legs were huge but they didn’t taste like our Canadian crab legs. Both my husband and I didn’t like the crab but loved the shrimp and lobster tails. There was another family that traveled to the restaurant with us. The two guys liked the crab but the two ladies did not. So I guess it’s just a personal choice!

Rooms 3.5 stars
The rooms are ok. We have been really spoiled with ocean views in the past. There are none here. There are no bathtubs but that didn’t bother us. Nothing was broken in our room but it’s definitely in need of some tender loving care. We had hot water but on occasion it would turn ice cold for a few seconds, similar to someone flushing a toilet at home! You just learn to leap forward! The safe is very small. We had a king size bed and it was firm and comfortable. We did go to the front desk and ask for more pillows and they were in our room later. The TV was a nice flat screen but the remote didn’t work, they gave us another remote and it didn’t work either, so we just gave up, we weren’t there to watch TV. anyways. We did turn it on late at night and we were surprised at all the channels…the English ones are way up around channel 70! The rooms were clean and that was the most important thing to us. We did hear the people above us walking around. We kept the air conditioner fan on all night and that helped for white noise.

This is definitely the best beach area in West Bay. There was never any trouble getting a chair or chair pad. We tipped the guy on the beach and he was ready with our chair pads every morning. I wish I would have gotten his name, I asked him but he couldn’t speak. All I could do was sign to him in my very limited sign language skills! The beach is pretty quiet until the cruise ships arrive. Wednesday is insane, that is a good day to go somewhere else! I didn’t mind, I am a people watcher. If you are into hand-made silver jewelry, make sure you see Karla at Karma jewelry on the beach. She is on the left side (if you are facing the water) and she sets up her booth around 9-1. You can check her out on YouTube.

The water is so clear, the snorkeling is amazing. There are people walking up and down the beach constantly selling anything from t-shirts to banana donuts! We sat back at our beach and we were not bothered. I couldn’t believe these guys walking the beach back and forth all day long and some with a cooler on the shoulder!

Entertainment 3 stars
I did participate in water aerobics every day but skipped the dancing.
We didn’t make it to many of the evening shows, we were just too tired. Also the sound was so loud and distorted; we would get a drink and go to our room. The outdoor fire show was decent and on the last night they had local dance. We enjoyed seeing local costumes and dancing.

Staff 5 stars
The staff was fantastic at this resort. Ask them their name, get to know them and they will treat you like gold. Hat’s off to Nelson and Angel for taking care of us all week and the omelet lady whose name is so long…..all I could remember was super something and she was super!
We came to Roatan for the snorkeling and we were not disappointed but since this review is supposed to be about Henry Morgan resort, here are my final thoughts: The staff and the beach make me want to return….but the food, lack of view and money value is a concern. The price we paid was way too high for what you get at this resort. Many people in the forum said that this is not a typical all inclusive and they are right. We would go back if the price was right, the location is amazing.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Paradise Beach Hotel
Paradise Beach Hotel
#4 of 14 in West Bay
Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort

Been to Henry Morgan Beach Resort? Share your experiences!