“Great place to stay! Would highly recommend!”

West Bay Lodge and Spa
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Mineola, New York
“Great place to stay! Would highly recommend!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

I just returned from a 7 night stay at West Bay Lodge, and had the time of my life. I stayed with my boyfriend and several of his family members. Four of us stayed in the two Adjoining Room Bungalows from February 28-March 7. Each room had 2 queen beds, a private bath, private balcony with hammock, table and chairs. Each room had AC, ceiling fan, safe, bottled water, a stocked mini bar fridge, and snacks. They also had shampoo and conditioner in each room in case you forgot.

First of all, Roatan is absolutely gorgeous. Beautiful weather and lots to do. Milos and Celeste (the owners) did everything in their power to make our trip the best it could be...and they succeeded. The staff is wonderful - Danny is the best bartender/waiter and Melony really was so accommodating and sweet (along with everyone else!) We were picked up at the airport promptly by Alex, and he gave us a nice tour of the island on the way to the hotel.

The food at the hotel restaurant was really good - breakfast was included and had a variety of different specialty options each day. Lunch and dinner were also great there. They have parrots that come up and talk to you and hang out, which was also great. There are several cats (we loved Tommy and Mama Kitty) who love to be pet, and several watusa on the hotel location that are cool to look at.

I also got a spa treatment (the mud wrap/massage option) and they did a really great job in the spa - it was extremely relaxing and the girls were all great and all very professional. Great prices also.

One of the greatest things we did while there was the snorkeling cruise with Milos and Celeste. They provide it solely to guests of the hotel, and they pick a morning where they bring you out on their boat and take you to several different great snorkeling sites. They bring you to see the dolphins, make you lunch on the boat, and give you unlimited beers and rum punches. We had a great day of snorkeling and saw lots of fish. It was approximately $40/person for guests and it was a 3-4 hour long trip. I would definitely recommend booking that trip with Milos. You can also rent snorkeling equipment each day from the hotel for $5/day. They clean the equipment everyday and it worked well.

I also loved the pool. It wasn't a large pool, but they had many lounge chairs, floats, and enough room to relax by the pool. It was very clean and the employees did a great job maintaining it.

One of the other perks about the location was the strip mall across the street from the hotel. It had a few shops, a great noodle restaurant (Nice and Spicy), and a coffee shop (Java Vine) which had great coffee/iced teas. There is also a scooter/ATV rental across the street as well, which we rented from for a few days. Additionally, the beach is only a 3-5 minute walk from the hotel. It is really easy to get to. I would recommend spending the few dollars to get a Bananarama wrist bracelet to get use of beach chairs. Also, there are restaurants and bars at the beach. I would recommend getting the Bananarama Monkey Lalas while down there (it's a great vodka, kahlua, coconut creme refreshing drink)...there is a guy who gives out 2 for 1 coupons on the beach every now and then.

Overall, this was a great place to stay. Everyone was very accommodating and attentive to our needs. Whatever we needed, they got us. Just remember that things are sometimes a little slow down there...but they are just on Roatan time (don't take offense to it). Remember also that there are a lot of bugs down there. Bring bug repellent. The spa at the hotel sells great bug repellent for $12 and it is homemade with all natural ingredients. It seemed to work quite well while we were down there. There are a lot of sand fleas and noseeums and mosquitoes, but the trip was well worth getting bitten. HIGHLY recommend and hope to go back there some day!

Room Tip: The Adjoining Rooms are a perfect size for 2 people in each room and it was perfect if you had a gro...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank christinenicole123

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Slovak first
Bloomington, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

The resort and location are great, but but the people are AWESOME. My daughter turned 11 on the trip and so I requested a cake. Not only did she get a beautiful pineapple upside down cake surrounded by red hibiscus and complete with candles, but she got a complete birthday party!!!! A birthday she will definitely remember forever!

Our party stayed in the double bungalow. Our room was the smaller of the two and little tight for three of us, but comfortable, nicely decorated, and clean. It was a bit of a climb up a hill to our rooms, but the plus side is that we had a great view from the balcony. The resort is just a short walk from the beach so most days we would get up, stop in the restaurant for breakfast (which was always tasty) and then head to the beach to play and snorkel. After we were sufficiently tired from the beach, we would come back to the pool to relax in the shade and take a dip to cool down. By the pool there is this great table that has swings for chairs and there are also comfortable lounge chairs.

We would recommend West Bay Lodge.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank N0isy_Chicken
La Grange KY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed from 13-20 Feb 14. What a great place. Super staff. Friendly and helpful. Nice restaurant and bar. Food is good and reasonable. Couple minute walk to beach and our bungalow was cozy. Centrally located to the area. Definitely going back!

Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Brewdog82
Santa Barbara
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

We were four women cruising together-one wanted a spa day, 2 wanted to snorkel and one to relax by the pool. West Bay offers a great deal whereby if one books a spa day,friends can also come along at $15/pp which includes rt transportation from cruise port, use of pool, shower and towels and the best rum punch I've ever tasted! Spa guest also gets lunch. Everything was wonderful and we were all very happy. Excellent snorkeling from coral on far left side of beach-you don't even need fins or reef walker as entrance is sandy . Very reasonable price-highly recommended. Please note island time is one hour earlier than ship time when making reservations.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank karencro30
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

Celeste, Milos and their staff (Melony, Davinci, Ordie, Blanca to name a few) were friendly, helpful, accommodating and always went above and beyond to make our stay enjoyable, relaxing and stress-free. Milos graciously provided us with ingredients we needed to cook at cost. The bungalows are clean, comfortable and cozy. All bungalows have ceiling fans, air-conditioning, hammocks_#loved! and an outdoor seating area_#loved!

During our stay at West Bay Lodge, there were a few power outages but the generator was up and running with minimum inconvenience. (The outage was across the entire West Bay and the West End, so it was not specific to the establishment)

I  highly recommend the Spa Package if you are planning to stay at this lovely establishment. Try the Aromatherapy Soaking Tub, the Sea Salt Glow Treatment, a Facial and the Mu Xing Therapy Treatment.

TIP:  1) Bring Bug repellent. We unfortunately forgot, but Milos and Ordie saved us and gave us some 2) Celeste's Island Cuisine serves good meals if you don't want to cook yourself.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank nychk_chic
Toronto, ON
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014

West Bay Lodge was recommended to us by a friend who lives in Roatan. Unfortunately, we booked too late and could not get into the bungalows but were able to go into a beautiful 2 bedroom condo that WBL sublets when they are full, which we quite liked as it was very private. We got all the great amenities that WBL offers including the free delicious breakfast each morning (shout out to Davinci, what a great waiter), use of the pool, the famous lunch and punch (lunch and all you can drink punch for $20 bucks.. it was the best!). Being a short walk to the beach made this the ideal location, as you could get away from the crowds. The condo building itself had some issues (washer/dryer seized, no curtains (hung up towels myself to block sunlight in morning), funny chemical smell coming from furniture, no back-up generator anymore when power goes out, which it did during half time of super bowl.. good thing we did not care!) A/C not working right. It appears whatever is going on at the condo building (they have halted construction on rest of units) has caused some problems including the roof leaking when it rains and the roof top pools not being maintained. We informed WBL of the problems at the unit and hopefully they will have them worked out with the owner of the unit soon, it is a real shame as these units are high end and were even featured on a House Hunters International episode "Mission Bay condos". These problems were no fault of WBL; Celeste and Milos were more than accomodating by making sure we were happy and had electricians in the next day at their expense to make sure the A/C was up and running! Oyuki told me to just bring my laundry over and they would take care of it.. so I did :)! We traced the smell and Milos removed the item and it seemed better. The staff had the fridge stocked and when asked brought items in no problem. Melony and Oyuki were fantastic in the office making sure we were taken care of and constantly giving me clean beach towels!. The cleaning staff were spot on.. cleaning the unit daily; effeciently and timely. Celeste and Milos made sure we got to go on their snorkelling excursion (as the first one sold out!) at a reasonable price! They take you out on their boat and provide lunch, their famous rum punch or beers and great conversation. I had read on this forum that Milos will rent his car for $40.00 for the day (hassle free!) so made sure Melony had me booked for a day during our stay. When we had a day of rain, I asked Milos for the car and even though he did not have it at the property he went and got it so we could use it for the day. Driving the island and being able to rent his car (no credit card, no hassle) really made our trip more enjoyable. I loved stopping at Cal's Cantina half way for lunch, what a view and what a lunch! A impromtu sun set cruise and pizza night were even offered to us.. but we unfortunately had other plans.. but was nice to be asked and included! I loved the parrots and cats (but am a cat lover) and even got Cleo, the parrot on my shoulder so my husband could take a picture! What a riot... I loved this place and would recommend it to anyone! Celeste's Island Cuisine was top notch.. the variety of breakfast each morning was great, the fajitas and homemade quac delicious and my husband enjoyed the lobster night! Nightly live bands on the island make Roatan a great vacation spot also. Next time we will book sooner so we can try the bungalows!! Thanks to all who so graciously looked after us and made sure our week at your tropical paradise was truly special. We will never forget it!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Awsomegal
Bowmanville, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

We stayed at the West Bay Lodge Jan 20-Feb 3 2014. We had the most amazing time. We loved this resort. We loved how small the resort was, 8 cabins. It was so much more personal then a large resort. Everyone knew everyones name. It was nice to be greated by your name between guest. Milos and Cheleste were amazing hosts. On monday nights its 2 for 1 pizzas at the bananarama. Most of ther guest and Cheleste and Milos all split and ordered pizzas and we all sat and shared stories. Celestes restaurant is very good. The balandeas are amazing, I wish I could have ate them everyday lol. Lots of cats here, momma kitty was always sitting at our door when I opened it every morning She would come in and snuggle with my husband lol.

Serenity Spa OMG is about as much as I can say. The girls have amazing hands!! I had 3 massages and talked my husband into his first ever lol

The beach is a very short walk (3 mins) I loved that we could escape the busy beach and hang by the pool. We will be returning for sure.
While there we went to the Bananarama which is another small resort and bar. The food here was great also. We ate at beachers, grande roatan, fosters and argentillian and we had no complaints at all. I am trying to think of a complaint and I dont have one about our vacation.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 8 Loved it. Looked out to the pool.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Cocolobo
#3 of 7 in West End
Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort
Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort

Been to West Bay Lodge and Spa? Share your experiences!