“Home Away From Home”

West Bay Lodge and Spa
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We just returned from a weeklong stay at this hidden gem in Roatan.

They take care of you as soon as you arrive at the airport with a personal driver and you receive complimentary Welcome Rum Punch drink when you get to bungalow.

Our bungalow was clean, the fridge was fully stocked with beer, sodas and water, ac, flat screen TV, porch with hammock, a safe and some personal toiletries and even complimentary laundry service.

The pool is in the center of the property and we really enjoyed it. It was always clean. The grounds crew kept the property immaculate. There on sight security visible at the lodge entrance nightly.

Across the street is strip mall with a variety of stores, i.e. Sandwich shop, mini mart, coffee & wine shop, souvenir shop. Plenty of restaurants within walking distance as well.

The staff went above & beyond for us! Melonie, Darson, Quincy, Patty, Marco, Smiley, Watchman (so sorry we can't remember his name), Andy the summer Intern from Czech, entertaining us with their island charm.

The Serenity Day Spa is by far the best service that I had ever received. The staff was very professional and services are superb! Don’t leave the island without it.

Celeste Island Cuisine is the onsite restaurant, with the freshest food, authentic recipes and the best cooks of the Island - Patty & sometimes Darson. Our package included complimentary daily breakfast that was awesome, from the banana pancakes to eggs benedict, balendas and much more. The parrots entertained us each morning.

They prepared breadfruit that we purchased in town and shared it with the rest of the patrons in the restaurant.

We booked the romance package that included the lobster dinner. Darson & Patty prepared a exquisite 6 course meal, from the setting of the private table by the poolside, to the preparation of each course that was served, the ambiance of the soft lighting that was provided, and the service throughout the meal until after the July 4th firework show, we were treated like royalty.

Short few minute walk to West Bay Beach, which is rated Top 10 beaches of the world! You can snorkel right off the reef and see spectacular life.

We also booked the snorkel tour with Celeste. They took us to 3 great locations where we saw stingrays, octopus, turtles, and a lot of beautiful fish. This is a half-day excursion you do not want to pass up. It includes lunch & rum punch.

We were able to meet other tourists staying there who also agree that West Bay Lodge was an awesome place to stay.

The owner Celeste makes you feel like you are at home and if there is something you need just ask. She is very accommodating to making sure all your needs are met.

We plan on returning this year and look forward to meeting Milos and Jacob. We can't wait to see everyone again! They all have a heart of gold! Our stay here felt like home away from home.

Much Love
Bee & Lisa Guillory

2  Thank lisaguillory

Reviewed 2 July 2014

The West Bay Lodge is the best place I have ever stayed that made me feel at home. We meet new friends there and the staff is like family. On top of all that you are in paradise in Roatan. This is the best vacation EVER ! This place is rustic homey and has that X-factor that you can't get from some of the other Disney type resorts in West Bay. When we go back to Roatan we will stay at West Bay Lodge. The Spa is the best my wife had ever done, and she has been to many Spa's. The food is vey good, their rum punch drinks keep you coming back for more. Our friends had gotten some food from local vendors and the staff was more than happy to cook it up for us. They helped us share with the rest of the guests. The West Bay Lodge will cause you to not want to go back home. We will be back to Roatan and our friends at West Bay Lodge

The Wilson's

Room Tip: The bungalows are all different so ask the staff they will fit your needs
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We just returned from a glorious week in Roatan and stayed the entire time at West Bay Lodge. We were in a Royal Suite (#7) which had a fantastic elevated porch with two hammocks and a great pool view. The West Bay Lodge is just off the beaten path...minutes away from a world-class beach and world-class shore snorkeling yet world's apart. When the beach gets crazy from cruise boat tourists or you want a peace fliled refuge or sanctuary...walk back and take a siesta in the hammock or swim in the charming little pool all surrounded with jungle type foliage and parrots to entertain you. The restaurant has really good food, well priced and is very romantic for dinner. The staff is attentive but not intrusive. The resort appointments are helpful but not pretentious. And the entire lodge staff and the owner are "real people". No programmed smiles or non-stop sales pitches...just a quaint family type resort that was clean, safe, relaxing, fun, well-priced, refreshing, and will be in our memories forever. We do hope to return!!!
Thanks for an awesome week West Bay Lodge!
Doug & Lesa

1  Thank SenorBlancoColorado
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Charming hotel located a 5-minute walk from the beach (yes, it really is that close). A great deal for the location. Pickup/dropoff at the airport was arranged through the hotel and complimentary for longer stays. We were met by Milos, who made an amazing rum punch. Breakfast included in room rate as well, and who can complain about having parrot companions? I would just suggest that perhaps breakfast start a little earlier (it starts at 8am)- we were in Roatan to dive, and would have to be at the dive shop between 8:00-8:15, so we'd have to wolf breakfast down which is not always the best feeling before diving! Room had a very basic kitchenette setup which was appreciated, and we were asked beforehand with what we'd like the fridge stocked (prices are comparable to, if not better than, the market across the street). Wifi signal is generally good, but is sometimes spotty. Only quibble is that if you don't leave the AC on all the time (who would - electricity is certainly expensive there!), the room takes awhile to cool down.

2  Thank kyrielle
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Many people refer to Milos and Celeste's family and staff as family, of course we do too as that is exactly how they treat you, only better. We have heard so many stories of them doing anything guests ask. I will just say they don't speak "no" here ! This May we came and invited our daughter, her fiance' and 8 other family and friends. They arranged their entire wedding. Gave us choice of photographer, beautifully built arbor arch full of island foliage and flowers at the beach at sunset, music, minister, cake, exquisite hors de ovres, wonderful lobster dinner for everyone, drinks, and champagne. They decorated and arranged the full restaurant for us exclusively. A bit of dancing, a poem from the heart of one of her staff, and an expressive dance from another ! A toast from the owners, as we were finished, made us feel a we did THEM a favor ! Tears were rolling. I can tell you, the price was so affordable that we asked if they remembered to add the wedding to our bill. This place always exceeds our expectations and this time way more ! We scuba right in front of the Lodge at the beach as referred by WBL, they are great too. Snorkeling, zip lining, pool and more is here. I love to eat all my meals at Celeste's restaurant on site. This time we tried a few others and realized WBL has everything we need for an island stay. And of course the Spa, ladies GO ! Men, you too, it is so awesome to have any treatment they offer. My favorite is the couples massage. We, just like most we meet there, will always be regulars now. - Happy Couple.

Room Tip: we enjoy the large rooms with extra space but all of them suit us fine.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ScubaBillyNuckles
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I don't often write reviews. When one has an experience like we had in Roatan, however, I am obliged to tell those responsible how much I appreciate them. Milos, Celest, Melony, Oyuki, Darson, Juan Carlos, Smiley....just a few of the wonderful people at West Bay Lodge that made our vacation truly wonderful. More than that, I'd like to think that I can now say I have friends in Central America. From the moment we arrived, we were treated like family....that's what West Bay Lodge feels like...home away from home IN THE MOST BEAUTIFUL PLACE I've ever visited. If you're considering West Bay Lodge...stop considering and just call or email them. If they don't call you back immediately, it's because they are serving one of their clients or the internet is temporarily down.
The pros: 1.5 minute walk to the 2nd largest reef in the world, wonderful food all around you, smiling "can do" staff, cool and clean bungalows, the parrots at b'fast, the quaint little pool under the mango tree, $8 rum (cheaper than the wine) and you can use the kayaks and beach chairs at Bananarama for a very small fee. The cons: I can only go once per year. Seriously, I don't have anything negative....the nicest people in a beautiful place.
Stop considering your stay at WBL....you and your family will love it. I talked to several guests who'd been there several times. Repeat business says it all, and we'll be back next June.

Room Tip: All the bungalows are convenient...do yourself and favor and use the hammocks provided on the front...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 June 2014

My girlfirnd and I stayed for 10 days and were wowed everyday. It's a little nerve racking going to a country you have never been but the staff at West Bay Lodge went above and beyond to make our stay memorable.

When I first made my reservation we were in touch with Oyouki who took care of everything prior to our arrival including having someone to meet us at the airport. Juan Carlos was there with a sign letting us know right away that we were in good hands.

We stayed in the queen bungalow that came with a patio and one of the most comfortable hammocks I have ever used. The A/C was great and kept the room perfect at night with a ceiling fan for fresh air. The room came stocked with a mini bar that had all you could need. They have dvd's you can grab out of the office and games to play on those quite nights.

Celeste the owner was waiting when we arrived and showed us right to our room and was constantly around and making sure we had everything we needed. Milos her husband was also available for either a great Margarita or just to answer questions.

We had breakfast there everymorning, do not miss the bananna pancakes. One of the most endearing qualities is the family of parrots while they can get a little chatting at times with each other there is nothing like walking down in the morning being greeted with a "Good morning" by a parrot, it never got old. I will miss Cleo.

Staff props-

Melony, I'm not really sure she ever stops working. When we needed something she was there to take care of it. We could book all of our tours through her, she set us up with a great rental car and made sure our stay was smooth from start to finish.

Darson- Talk about being on the ball. I don't think I ever saw him without a smile and I know how tough his job is. I was in the hospitality industry for a long time and people like that are hard to come by. He never missed a step, I felt like a friend was having me over for dinner rather than being waited on.

It was also my girlfriends birthday while we were there. I emailed and asked them if they could do something special and they came through with flying colors. They prepared a special meal for us, set up a private table with flowers and candles and they even got a cake. She felt really special and it was obvious how much care and preparation went in to it.

If you are looking for a great place to stay that's backed up up by a first rate team stop here and book now.

2  Thank Noah G
Paradise Beach Hotel
Paradise Beach Hotel
#4 of 14 in West Bay
Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort

Been to West Bay Lodge and Spa? Share your experiences!