“Relaxing, Friendly, Fun!” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
chaichaitea
“Relaxing, Friendly, Fun!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2009

We went to the West Bay Lodge for our honeymoon and had a great time. The location of the West Bay Lodge was just right. At first, we were a little disappointed that we weren't right on the beach, but then we realized what a prime location we were in. After we learned that cruise ships fill the beach with passengers a few times a week, we realized how fantastic is was to just walk 2-3 minutes away to our quiet home, the West Bay Lodge! We loved relaxing in the pool and enjoying the laid-back hospitality of Celeste and Milos. We also loved the terrific coffee shop, Cool Beans, right across the street.

Breakfasts were great at West Bay Lodge, and we loved the variety.

We are so glad that we spent our time at the West Bay Lodge! The more places that we saw in Roatan, the more of a gem we realized that this place was. Beautiful beach just a footstep away, quiet, relaxing, and fun.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank chaichaitea

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Slovak first
Wilmignton, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2009

My husband and I went to Roatan for our honeymoon the first week of June. After doing lots of research and looking at this website we found the West Bay Lodge. Believe me if you are on a budget but want a awesome vacation choose West Bay Lodge. The owners Celeste and Milos are so personably and warm. They treat you like family but allow you to have privacy. They were will do as much or as little as you want to help you have a wonderful vacation. West Bay Lodge is located on the most beautiful part of the Island. It is like expensive than some of the generic resorts in this area though. The small bungalows are just the perfect size for a romantic get away. Also they are cleaner than any hotel I have ever stayed in. You are in walking distance to many restaurants/bars. As well as as dvd rental store/and moped rental store. It is one street back from the beach but it literally takes less than 5 minutes to walk across the street. In Roatan the beach is more crowded than the road with water taxi traffic and cruise shippers so it really is nice to have some quiet at night just one street away. It really was by far the most relaxing, easy international traveling I have ever done!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank nccoastgirl
boston, ma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2009

So this review is long overdue. We stayed at West Bay Lodge last November (over Thanksgiving). We stayed in one of the older, smaller bungalows, and we absolutely loved it. It was cozy and quiet with our own deck and hammock facing the pool.

Celeste and Milos are amazing hosts. I can't say enough about them. They are very personable and warm. Every morning we were greeted with smiles and delicious food. They love animals and have a bunch of birds and lots of cats, and they all joined us for our morning meal! Luckily I am a pet person so this felt just like home to me.

We were there during Thanksgiving week and Celeste hosted a Thanksgiving dinner for all of the guests as well as her friends from the island. We had a traditional thanksgiving in a very untraditional place - on the rooftop terrace of a palapa overlooking the Caribbean ocean.

I usually like to stay right on the beach, however I didn't mind the two minute walk. The cruise ships bring in beachgoers very early in the morning and to have them right outside my hotel room would have been an annoyance. Luckily, we were close enough to enjoy the beach, yet far enough away not to be bothered by the noise.

West Bay Lodge has an agreement with BananaRama (the resort on the beach) so that we are able to use their beach chairs and equipment for $10/week. They have a great beach bar with refreshing frozen drinks and good food.

The beach is absolutely gorgeous. Crystal blue water and white sand. What more do you need? The sunsets over West Bay are not to be missed! It's much less crowded than your typical Caribbean beaches (except on cruise days). The snorkeling is excellent - just 50 yards off the beach and you can see all types of fish. Some people even saw turtles.

One last note on the hospitality - My birthday happened to be the week we were staying. I'm not sure who spilled the beans to Celeste, but she baked me a pineapple upside cake and had all of the guests and staff greet me at the pool with 'Happy Birthday'. Milos went to the beach and gave me a jar filled with Roatan sand. He gave one to everyone, sort of like a party favor. It was a wonderful birthday surprise. At the end of the week, it was very hard to leave our new friends.

If you want luxury, go to Bermuda. If you want a relaxing no frills stay with exceptional hosts and a beautiful beach, stay at the West Bay Lodge!

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank newenglandchick
Cypress, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2009

Before we left, believe me we did a lot of research. Did we need "right on the beach" (and its associated higher prices) or should we opt for a more homey setting? We decided on the home away from home, and we are very glad we did. The owners, Celeste and Miloŝ, are accommodating in every way. The bungalows are just roomy enough, with great AC and comfy beds. The morning breakfasts - included in the rate - are tasty and filling. Everyone at the property was so friendly, and if you needed something or wanted info on a place to go, they had it at their fingertips.

It is so nice to have a nice swimming pool with shade or sun if you want it. The beach is great, but it gets pretty hot in the afternoon, and sometimes the beach is crowded with the cruise line crowd, so the WBL pool is a great escape.

Each bungalow has a private porch, a great mini-bar (with the best prices I’ve ever seen – whoever heard of a $1.50 beer in a mini-bar??!!), TV, DVD, etc.

A few Roatan tips/suggestions: When you enter Roatan, immigration will give you a yellow copy of your entry document. Do not lose it, or you'll pay $146 extra to leave the country. (No, Celeste, we did not lose ours!)

WBL has great lunches - and they are a real bargain.

The gumbalimba jungle zip line is worth every penny ($55). Do it if you can!

Go with the WBL bus to Ted's pig roast on Thursdays. Lots of fun!

Eat dinner at the Lobster Pot in West End. Full course lobster dinner for $23, and the lobster tails are huge! Good steak as well.

Don't bother with beach towels. WBL has them for you to use. They also have arranged with Bananarama to get you a chair and kayak for your entire stay for only $10.

Sundays is "all the steak and lobster you can eat" day at the Hole in the Wall in Jonesville ($25). WBL will arrange a van so you can share the cost of the ride. This makes an interesting trip and you'll meet some real characters, including Clyde, whose family has been on the bay islands for 9 generations.

We made a trip to Cayos Cuchinos on a private sail charter. ($350/adult for three days and two nights.) Reply to this post for more info.

Great snorkeling in this area. Rental equipment is about $5/day everywhere, but we brought our own.

Bring lots of $1 bills for tips. The people are truly appreciative and always remember they need that one dollar a lot more than you.

Internet cafe is next door. Onsite WIFI.

At least half of the enjoyment of West Bay Lodgewill be getting to know your hosts, who go out of their way to provide a relaxing, uncomplicated, surprise-free, and memorable stay. Thanks to Celeste and Miloŝ for a great week!

PS: My ratings are based on comparisons of what I have experienced elsewhere, considering the price.

(Photos coming soon!)

G&D

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank TheInveterates
Houston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2009

West Bay Lodge is the best! It is located in the middle of West Bay which is the better place to stay; rather than West End which is seedy- but worth a water taxi to see anyway. First of all it is safe to travel- there is no unrest in Roatan. The island itself is safe too.
I cannot say enough about Milos ans Celeste. The are caring, down to earth and hands on. They know everything and everyone on the Island. The will book any trip you want with dependable guides.They will tell you the places to go and what places are having specials. However,Celeste's lunches are the best- try the shrimp "taco".
They have a small store and I would suggest (if needed) getting bug spray there as it is much cheaper than the stores.
Do not worry that it is not on the beach- a few minute walk and you are there. Plus the beach can become too hot and you will want to swim in their pool as there is shade and lovely landscaping.
I went to snorkle and WOW! Milos said it was the best reef by there place,and he was right. Fish close to shore as well as out in the deeper reef. Lots of coral, parrot fish, butterfly fish , angel fish and turtles.
Town closes early but i would suggest happy hour at Infinity hotel- big and on the beach.
The sky is so clear you can see tons of stars and the Milky Way.
I was so sad to leave and what really made the trip was Milos and Celeste and the way they treated all the guests as kings and queens.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank taggerhouston
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2009

MIlos and Celeste are fabulous!!! I took this trip to celebrate my 50th birthday and they surprised me w/a pineapple upside down cake at the pool after getting the other guests to the pool to celebrate it also. The guests all had similar interests and we'd go to happy hour and/or dinner together. The breakfasts were great, especially the banana pancakes and the lunch tacos were wonderful, just wish I'd been there long enough to try each one...LOL. The property is like being in your own mini jungle w/the gardens. You can snorkel right off the beach and see as many or more fish and coral then going out on a snorkel trip. I like to go to places I haven't been before but I will definitely return to Roatan and the West Bay Lodge!!!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank suzdoyle
Kingston, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2009

West Bay Lodge surpased my expectations. The lodge itself is situated in a perfect locale among well kept gardens and is close enough to the beach (2 min walk) to be convenient but far enough away to get some peace and quiet. The pool on site is great for a late night swim or on days when the cruise ships are in port. (It has been a year since I was there and I believe some upgrades have been made).

The accomodations are comfortable and clean. The hammocks on the front porch are very relaxing especially at night as you listen to the island sounds and watch the fruit bats flying from tree to tree (not to mention one of the lodges resident cats that will happily keep you company).

Breakfast was plentiful and delicious with plenty of entertainement from the parrots.

What makes West Bay Lodge stand out though are Celeste and Milos. They cater to your every need and truely make you feel welcome. Great people and great hosts.

I did some diving with Bananarama across the road- very friendly staff that ensure you have a great time.

I would recommend West Bay Lodge to everyone and if you have some space left in your suitcase bring some powdered baby formula for the Celeste to deliver to the Clinic.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled solo
Cocolobo
#2 of 7 in West End
Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort
Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort

Been to West Bay Lodge and Spa? Share your experiences!