“Breakfast with the parrots”

West Bay Lodge and Spa
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Irvine, California
“Breakfast with the parrots”
Reviewed 20 October 2010

If you and your entourage are off to Roatan for a dive vacation, I recommend a stay at the West Bay Lodge. You will find yourself in the capable hands of Celeste & Milos and their fantastic crew. The lodge is located centrally in the West Bay, with easy access to the West End via cab or water taxi. Best of all, the Bananarama Dive Shop is just down an access road -- no carting your gear home every night.

The lodges are very clean and full of amenities: fridge (stocked), fresh water, AC, cable TV (with US channels), hammocks on the balconies and a spa on site. All this and you can have breakfast with the family parrots!

I look forward to my return to Roatan and another stay at the West Bay Lodge.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank jak203

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Slovak first
San Salvador, El Salvador
Reviewed 8 October 2010

I liked this small family run joint. The animals around the place made it an instant hit with the kids and they wanted to hang out at the hotel rather than get to the beach they were so enthralled with the birds, kittens, and turtles. Us adults found the snacks and minibar convenient and the air conditioning lovely!

Not much of an ocean view from our room but the two minute walk to the beach made it perfect for getting to the beach and stopping in at the little shops across the way. West Bay is DEFINATELY the place to be if you want a low-key laid back environment versus the much busier West End experience (more for singles who want to party and hook up with a fellow diver).

Celeste and her husband were lovely and the restaurant has a really nice ambiance as well. This place is a nice alternative to a resort type experience which can sometimes be much less personal and intimate.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank JenningsPajuelo
Westbay ,Roatan
Reviewed 2 October 2010

We stayed in Westbay lodge a number of times because we just wanted to get away from it all.We live right up the road from the resort too, but we choose a mini vacation from our perpetual vacation. We were pampered,slept well and had a wonderful and peaceful getaway.Celeste,Milos and the staff are exceptional hosts.The restaurant is outstanding and is fun to interact with the parrots. I am excited that the Day Spa is opened now too. I spend 2 days a week there.All in all Westbay lodge is a must for all who travel to Roatan.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lovergirlie
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 29 September 2010

This place was great... As soon as entering at once you realize this place is a jem and is what made our vacation. The foliage is awesome, huge banana trees provide your shade. We spent very little money on the island, since we got a package of breakfast and lunch, free drink/day, message....cheapest snorkeling supplies... included. We are students and were on a tight budget, but it didn't matter when we stayed here-since we knew by staying there we were saving the most we could. More importantly, the owners acted as our friends and made us feel at home. The owners true-ly love the island and their life serving their customers....unlike any other B&B I had been to. They even do grocery store runs for you...unbeatable!

1 Thank pickingfun3
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 21 September 2010

Celeste and Milos have gone above and beyond with the paradise they have created at West Bay Lodge. I just returned from my third stay with them and cannot wait until I am able to return again.
The bungalows are clean, cozy and well equipped. They are scattered among the beautiful landscaping and pool area. Each one has a great porch with table, chairs and hammocks. The refrigerator contains all types of beverages and there is a basket full of snacks, all at very reasonable pricing. If there is something you need that is not in your bungalow, they will get it for you.
The office will take care of anything you could possibly want or need. They made zip line reservations, transportation arrangements, restaurant suggestions, snorkeling gear, towels for the beach/pool, cell phones, books, etc.
West Bay Lodge is only a 5 minute walk to the beach. It is nice to be a little away from the beach especially on cruise ship days because the beach is packed with people. At least it is only for a few hours. In the morning and evening, you have the beach pretty much to yourself.
The food at Celeste’s Island Cuisine is delicious! Breakfast is different every day. We also ate lunch and dinner there. The Baleadas and fajitas are wonderful and I cannot get enough of the rum punch!!
The Serenity Spa was great as well. I had both a massage and bath soak on my last 2 stays. The bath is beautiful! They have soft music, candles, waterfall going into the tub, flowers floating in the water and top it off with a glass of wine and it was pure heaven for 40 minutes!
West Bay Lodge is a very relaxing environment and the hospitality from the staff is outstanding! I would not stay anywhere else when visiting Roatan.
Cheers,
Tina

2 Thank cann10
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 20 September 2010

I absolutely loved staying here, the owners were wonderful and so welcoming, the grounds were beautiful and the food was to die for. The beach is a one-minute walk so it's a very nice location, I liked West End Village better than West End as it was on a nicer beach and a little quieter. The parrots and kitties that live at the lodge are adorable and had breakfast and lunch with us every day!

2 Thank Shaylin F
Redmond, Washington
Reviewed 28 August 2010

We will stay here the next time we go to Roatan.
The Manager - Uyuki - was awesome. She arranged cabs, tickets, discounts - you name it - she helped.
The Restaurant Manager - Marlon was beyond exceptional - we rented 4 rooms - one for my disabled Mother - Who just had hip replacement surgery - Marlon drove her to the closest points on the beach so she wouldn't have to walk. yes - the restaurant manager volunteered to drive my disabled mother to the beach so she could watch the grankids splash in the surf.

The location is a small and charming place. the layout teases you with private gardens that tempt you to sit in the shade and read.

The room services included doing the dirty dishes and laundry.
The owner does much of the maintenance and he was ultra responsive.
We mentioned the shower was draining slow, it was fixed in less than an hour.
I mentioned - in passing - not as a complaint - that I didnt like the normal hotel shampoo. I was shamed to find a brand new, store bought, shampoo bottle in our bathroom.

The food was good - We ate at the hotel restaurant at least once a day - we tried other places just so that we would not miss out and did not find another restaurant better.
Also, the waitresses took food to Moms room so she would not have to walk down.
Yes - I want to live there permanently.

Oh - and the parrots.
Maybe it was because my 6 and my 4 year olds fell in love with the parrots and the cats.
They loved feeding them (parrots) and carrying the cats around. Please note that the animals were discreet and not intrusive. If we would have not had our kids actively hunting the poor kitties around we may not have known they were there!

This is a tough review to write - I think about this stay as I sit in traffic on the way to work every day. It was paradise for an all too short week.

Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
#1 of 5 in French Harbour
Tranquilseas Eco Lodge and Dive Center
Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort
Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort

Been to West Bay Lodge and Spa? Share your experiences!