“a very friendly place”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
san francisco bay area
“a very friendly place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2011

if you are looking for a 5 star hotel with maids doing your daily turndown services and putting chocolate on your bedside, you should not go to WBL. As a matter of fact, you should not go to Roatan, Honduras at all! But if you are looking for a nice relaxed place where you get to meet and chat with your host and hostess, where you get your meals cooked just the way you want, where you get to be called by your first names and you are asked if there is anything else they can help you with…WBL is a great place for you! Cleste and Milos, the very beautiful/handsome couple would try everything possible to make everything right for you! Their lobster dinner was exceptional! Make sure you reserve it the day before. Massage was also great, with very hard working and professional staff (make sure you don’t schedule your sessions during the sunset because you should spend your time watching the amazing sunset on the beach or on the balcony). Marlon, the restaurant staff is such a character and fun! Overall, we had a great time staying at WBL, even with our not-always-very-pleasant teenager son! (well, for those of you who have teenagers, you know what I am talking about – one minute they can be an angel and another, devil. Son was the former most of the time, we are lucky:) Thanks for all, Cleste and Milos!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank sandyspicy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Slovak first
Burlington, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2011

We stayed at West Bay Lodge Jan 24th to Feb 4th 2011. Celeste and Milos were amazing hosts. It didn’t feel we were at a hotel but guests in their home. In fact, Celeste considers all her guests part of their extended family. They don’t just say that … they really mean it.

Location
Located on a main road at the end of the island. It is across from a few shops and a deli. I never went into the deli but I heard you can get bread, meats and cheeses and simple meals. The few stores there were reasonable. Got a t-shirt for $10. The hotel is on a hill about a 3 min (flat) walk from West Bay Beach down on a dry dusty lane way. It floods when it rains (it only did this once all day and the rest of the vacation the weather was perfect – 85 F during the day and 75 at night) but there is a raised walkway when that happens. There is a sewage smell at the end of the laneway near the beach and wafts into Bananarama at times.

Being away from the beach is not a problem. In fact, it is a peaceful sanctuary in the afternoon when you’ve had enough of the crowds and heat.

The rooms are not wheel chair accessible, as there are stairs to each cabin (they are raised off the ground). If you have a cane you’re ok but if using a walker you’d have a hard time negotiating around here. There is a small pool well maintained despite the mango trees that hang over it. All the gardens are lush and beautiful and cooling.

Cabins
Now the rooms/ cabins are not fancy nor large, but they are clean and comfortable for the little time you spend in them. The air conditioner worked well (they have replaced them recently) and are quiet. There is a large water bottle jug in the room for drinking and brushing teeth at no charge. The water from the tap is not safe to drink, but it is plentiful and hot although a little smelly with sulfur. There is large shower stall in the small bathroom. And yes you can flush toilet paper down the toilet.

There is also a fridge and microwave. When I asked about coffee, Celeste put a coffee maker in the room with coffee free of charge. The fridge is well stocked with beer, wine and whatever you want. Nicer is that the price charged is very reasonable - $2 for beer, $12 for wine for example. There are also snacks that are priced at a $1 each.

There is also a safe in each room for passport and money. It is recommended you lock your cabin and I would suggest not to leave anything of value on the cabin porch. (my running shoes that were wet left drying on the porch of our cabin went missing in the night). They do have a security guard (they are all armed too), that patrols the yard. Actually because my shoes went missing Celeste fired the firm and Milos took me into town to get some more shoes, which they paid for (how nice is that?).

A small TV (satellite) with most major US stations and lots of Central American and some European stations is also in the room. Not that we spent a lot of time watching TV except laughing at all the snow back at home.

One caution - don't leave wet bathing suites on the door knob of the bathroom ... ants. Fortunately I shook them out before putting them on or it would have been a whole different experience. ;) When told Milos went to the room immediately and sprayed.

Animals
Much is written here about the parrots being a problem. That is not true but I can understand people’s concern. They are a little loud at times and insistent on grabbing food from your plate but they are part of what makes this hotel special. Suffice to say the restaurant is owned by the parrots in the morning. Yee Haw! (if you stay there you’ll know what the Yee Haw is for). When I say owned I mean they will crawl to your table and expect a hand out but if you are firm and gently push them off your table (with a menu ) they will leave you alone although giving you the evil eye and clucking at you. I actually started to really like the parrots and miss them now.

There are also 5 cats on the property that are lovely and some will curl up on your lap for a cuddle. Another cat named Big Balls (don’t ask) comes in the night to caterwaul and moan for them to come out (Celeste keeps them in the house at night).

Celeste adopts these cats (strays), spays and neuters them and others on the island. She is an angel. They do have a job besides mooching food at night – they have cleaned out the rats, mice, snakes and tarantulas from the property. There are also rabbits and turtles that she has also rescued. The parrots have also found refuge from mistreatment too.

Bugs at West Bay Lodge are at a minimum I think due to the number of bats that call it home. Otherwise though there are sand fleas or no see ums at the beach, that will leave little red bumps on you and if you start itching them – look out you will be very uncomfortable. Apparently baby oil works best and Celeste was trying out a new oil from Tahiti that worked well. We took some after bite (with ammonia) and that killed the itch.

The Beach
For $10 you get beach chairs at Bananarama Beach Resort and Dive Centre (we stayed there too for two nights). There is limited shade at Bananarama so get there relatively early before the cruise ships arrive (10 am worked for us). Vendors walking the beach are not aggressive and Guy (the owner) trys to limit their propositioning people at Bananarama.

The beach is beautiful – takes about 30 min to walk it. You can snorkel right off the beach. Milos will rent you snorkeling gear for your stay for $25. They also provide towels for the beach free of charge.

The beach is fairly quiet with the exception of 11-3pm when the cruise ships are in. Of the two weeks only 1 day was really crowded (when 3 cruise ships arrived(including the world’s biggest), but as there is little shade they normally clean out by 2pm.
Around 4pm we would normally head to the hotel and have a drink by the pool. I got a little tired of the live music playing at Bananarama the last few days. I had heard them all so many times I was starting to learn the words. For some reason country music is very popular on the island. Who knew!?

You can catch a water taxi to West End from the beach. Costs $ 3-5 a person, and even though they say it stops at 6pm they keep going much later. A cab ride for 6 (in a van) will cost you $20 at night to West End.

Money
Everything is in US dollars and you can pay with credit cards however have the cash on hand as sometimes the internet is down so the machines can’t work. Note: ATMs no longer function in West Bay – no one filled them up ;) . There are no banks in the area that I saw.

If not using credit you will need about $1200 cash a week cash to eat out and drink. I was spending about $50 during the day for lunch and a few beers and drinks. Then $70 on average at night but I used my credit card most times. That said still managed chew through $1000 on other things over two weeks. Be sure to use the safe.

Restaurants
The food at West Bay Lodge is good but limited to baleadas, fajitas, quesadillas, nachos and tacos. Breakfast is included. It is a set menu that changes each day (waffles, pancakes, eggs in baleadas, repeat). You get a bowl of the most wonderful water melon or mango to start. Breakfast was tasty at first but I was wishing for 2 eggs over easy with bacon a couple of times. I was tempted to ask but the staff has limited English. All very pleasant and friendly but it was easier to accept what was given. The coffee in the restaurant was not good the first week and we realized that the kitchen staff just poured in water over the used grinds. Milos was told and then the coffee was remarkably improved thereafter.

West Bay Lodge has a 3 course dinner special that is to die for that includes shrimp and 2 lobster tails that I can honestly say were the best I have ever had. I typically find that lobster is over cooked & dried out or arrives cold (even in the nicest restaurants). This is not the case at West Bay. Milos has perfected cooking lobster, leaving it to marionette all day in a little garlic and olive oil. It was so moist and succulent I didn’t even share it with the cats. Even better its only $60 a couple and that includes a bottle of wine! I could have eaten it every night. We did our meal by the pool with candles and romantic music playing. A great memory.

There are other great restaurants in the area:
• Sushi Grill – next door. Excellent. Sushi hand rolled, grilled meats (for people that don’t do sushi) and the best Miso soup I have had. You eat in their living room and the owners (from Quebec City) make it right there in front of you. About $100 a couple with a bottle of wine and sake. Make reservations early two or 3 nights in advance.

• Vintage Peal – near Bananarama. Excellent but a little over priced. Roughly $150-175 if you have a decent bottle of wine and desert. The staff there are very nice and friendly – Shutup! (that is for Daileen;). And yes Angela the chocolate mouse is so good I now understand why that ignoramus made a scene over it. ;) You need reservations that you can make the same day at Bananarama.

• Bananarama. Good food. Great drinks! (we took our own thermal cups to keep them cool). Try the monkey la la. Margarita’s are pretty good too. Surprisingly although I stick to mostly sea food and try local dishes when away I had a hamburger at Bananarama a couple of times and it was very good. The service can be a little slow but we were looked after by Carolina that made it smooth for us. Some healthy tips and during cruise ship rush she made sure our meals were on first at lunch. She will carry a tab for you and you settle up with your VISA at the end of the day. Carolina had tears in her eyes when we left.

• Bites on The Beach. Very good. Fish and pasta. Spicy really means spicy. Service is excellent here. Drinks very good. $80 to $100 a couple.

• Other places in West End* … we ate at a restaurant over the water in West End that was ok … can’t remember the name.

• Sacrifice – on a tour – very good grilled fish. $20

*Side note: I was a little disappointed by West End to tell you the truth … muddy, dark, smelly and disorganized. I was expecting something a little like San Pedro on Ambergris Caye. It’s not.

Night Life
Little to none unless you go to West End. Bananarama has live music during the day and most nights and when they don’t you can watch movies under the stars. One night they do Karaoke. But the bar closes at 10 pm – all divers, and I think that as they get up early in the morning and dive all day there is no real call for a lot of partying at night. There was music coming from Henry Morgan and Infinity Bay down the beach but as they were all inclusive didn’t venture onto the property to get told to get out. There is another place / bar at the end of the beach called Fosters that seemed pretty popular but we never went there. It’s safe to walk around at night but have a flashlight. Gringos shouldn’t go down any alley ways was a warning we had from a local gringo.

Health Care
There is a small hospital nearby that apparently has good facilities (we never went) but you need to wait for a long time I was told. One person we met slipped and fell and broke her wrist on the floating pad at Bananarama. I and several others got sick (diarrhea& vomiting)on Roatan. Also had flu like symptoms at the same time – fever and achy. I had another bout the last day coming home. At first I thought it was from the restaurant Sacrifice but there was no common denominator amongst all of us suffering and then heard even the locals were getting ill. I then wondered if it was the mayo sauces they have at Bananarama (had a wrap the second last day). I’m still not convinced it wasn’t food poisoning / water related from washing lettuce but the fact the locals were getting it makes it look like a 24 hour flu bug. That said, I do know others who got ill visiting Roatan . So just exercise caution – limit mayo (make sure its kept cool),no salads unless washed in bottled water. Good thing is that I came home having not gained a pound ! Not that I recommend the binge and purge technique.

Day Trips
If you are a diver this is heaven. Snorkeling is also amazing too. Being able to snorkel right off the beach you will see more fish than anywhere else (that I have been at least and I’ve been snorkeling a fair bit). Be sure to stay on the bay side though – the reef keeps out the sharks.

We did an island tour that was fun $60 for the day – Hole in the Wall, Mangrove swamps, Iguana Park . All fun and interesting.

My wife had a wonderful massage at the West Bay Spa and loved it. I also had Seyupa (thumbs of steel) at Bananarama rub a crack out of my neck I’ve had for years. Highly recommended.

On the whole our stay at West Bay Lodge and Roatan was a wonderful vacation experience and I would go back in a heartbeat. Celeste and Milos share a little bit of paradise with visitors. I am very glad we stayed here. Thank you both.

Anyone wanting to see our pictures http://www.flickr.com/photos/steveordenise/sets/72157625894569341/

10 Thank WarningU2
Beaver, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2011

On my first visit 3 years ago, the pool was just being built, the day spa was not there, and the restaurant was for breakfast only and was "up the hill." This Jan. the pool was there and functional, the day spa likewise, and the restaurant was relocated more conveniently and served lunch and dinner in addition to breakfast. The food was very good, as were the spa services. The pool is a fine place for R & R. Good massages at the spa. The lobster dinner is wonderful; we were served at a private table by the pool. Lodge location is perfect--a 2-3 minute walk to a deliteful beach, and far enough away to escape any noise at nite. Celeste and Milos are a perfect hostess and host, very solicitous of their guests' comfort and satisfaction. All in all, a real treat!

1 Thank john_petrush
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2011

In mid January 2011, my gf and i stayed at West Bay Lodge. Having never been to Honduras or the bay islands, we did extensive research on the island and places to stay. We stayed in West bay because neither of us scuba dive and we wanted to be on a beach with the option of snorkeling instead of being in a scuba town and having to take the water taxi to west bay to sit on the beach.

We researched all of the different places to stay in West Bay.... that said, we settled on west bay lodge because of its location and because the idea of a cabana with private hammocks and big banana leaves all around was very appealing. i also appreciated the fact that they had many parrots as part of the restaurant and it was nice to be able to eat breakfast with some nature around. When we arrived in Roatan, we were picked up by marlon the manager of the restaurant who took us to the supermarket near the airport in order to pick up some snacks for the room. He explained that these would be cheaper than in west bay. We then traveled to the lodge itself. Initially, i was a bit displeased that the place wasn't exactly on the beach (i knew this but didn't really think about it until we arrived), but as it turns out it was actually better. The lodge is a 300 foot walk along a dirt road (well lit and safe, never once felt nervous walking it at day and night) to the beach itself. When we arrived at the beach, i was quite pleased that we decided not to stay at a place right on the beach. It was cruise ship day (which is every day apart from the weekends apparently). Two gigantic cruise ships had dumped hundreds of passengers on the beach. The serene environment i was expecting had not materialized (this was next to bananarama which i did not like at all because of their willingness to sell a chair to anyone who had 5 dollars even if that meant sitting on top of someone else space wise). We ended up walking to the north end of the beach each day to avoid the crowd and gladly paid 10 dollars each per day in order to rent a comfortable chair from one of the places on the north end (just south of fosters lodge). It was a simple walk back and forth to the west bay lodge from where we parked ourself each day and the ability to take advantage of the amenities from the places located on the beach but avoid the crowds when we wanted was perfect.

The rooms themselves are spacious, clean, have very good ac and have hammocks on the individual porches (that are in fact secluded from the other guests). the food in the restaurant, while not five stars, was more than good, and like i said, having feathered friends hop on over to say hello while eating was an added treat (we are from new york city and any nature is a welcomed sight). Celeste and milos were both very gracious hosts and were there when we needed something and gave us space when we didn't. The entire staff was welcoming...

That said, my only complaint would be the shower head which i wasn't a fan of but my gf didn't mind. It was a great shower with good pressure but it almost had too much pressure bc after a day sitting in the sun i could see it hurting a bit on red skin. That said, if the only complaint that i could come up with was the shower, i would say it was perfect. On parting after our week stay, i commented to milos that we had checked out the other places around west bay while we were there and were extremely pleased that we selected their lodge -- we felt we got the best of both worlds.

one note, if you ARE looking for complete seclusion, you can definitely go to the north end of west bay (maybe a 1/2 mile walk). But keep in mind, each day during the week, at least one, and sometimes two cruise ships dump all their passengers on the island, most of whom head to west bay because its the nicest beach.

1 Thank world0022
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2011

Unlike most, we were actually walk-in's at West Bay Lodge. We were staying somewhere else, and it was so bad that once we got to West Bay, my wife walked around and checked out about 4 places and asked if they had any rooms available. Luckily for us, West Bad Lodge did. It was twice as expensive as our last place --- and 100000 times better. We could not have been happier to find it. As the title said, it felt like what a vacation should feel like. The staff was super nice, but not in your face. The owners were also super nice, and offered welcome insider advice whenever you seemed like you wanted it. The restaurant was really, really great.

Our room was fantastic. I am not going to right much more, because it is all good. The only thing you need to know is that you are not on the beach. Your are about a 3 min walk to the beach. For us, this was not a big deal at all. In fact, I really, really, enjoyed the tropical greenery.

I can't say enough good things about this place. I would HIGHLY recommend Roatan to my friends under the condition that they stayed at West Bay Lodge!

1 Thank adidas30
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2011

Service was A++. Customer service and quality control was off the charts fabulous. We stayed in room 2 (the oldest of the bunch and a step up from the duplex). This is a budget accommodation, but the room was clean, comfortable (bed was great - better than our friends at a place 2x the price on the beach), and had the Roatan island charm. Shower pressure was also very good. We felt completely safe there. Literally 3 min from the beach, no hills from the entrance of the property to the beach.

Well manicured gardens, but a good portion of the morning staff was manicuring it pretty much every day (the parrots can seem kinda loud at first, but they grow on you and work as a great alarm in the morning - not super early). It is a quieter place, so if you like to howl at the moon you might be better off somewhere else. That being said, most of the area shuts down around 9pm so don't let the quiet put you off if you like to live it up a little (which we did and had no complaints).

The upstairs patio was not set up for hanging when we were there, and the stairs are pretty steep - it didn't matter; nice views but there were other places to hang. Wifi did not work well in the rooms, but worked great on our patio. Pool was refreshing. Baleada's (breakfast and lobster) were fabulous! I'm more of a savory than a sweet person, so the waffles and pancakes were not as much my cup of tea. Coffee could use some work. The romance package is an excellent deal and the best meal hands down that we had on the island. Not a true kitchen in the bungalow - microwave and minifridge.

When the power goes out on the island, the generator at the deli diagonal from the lodge is kinda loud and you can hear the road a little. After two days, you care about none of that. The staff is great!

1 Thank TravelerNaomi
Silver Spring, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2011

West Bay Lodge is a located in the West Bay section of Roatan Island. We were secluded yet near the small strip mall and the beach which was just a small walk away. There are several restaurants in the area and taxi's wait near the lodge.

The staff was great! One feels like you are part of a family. I can't wait until my return, as I will be staying there again!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
Cocolobo
#3 of 7 in West End
Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort
Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort

Been to West Bay Lodge and Spa? Share your experiences!