“Standard Motor Club, Annual Anglia Road Run 2013” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
The Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mundesley
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Standard Motor Club, Annual Anglia Road Run 2013”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2013

We chose and booked the Manor Hotel, as this was one of the few Hotels left along the North Norfolk Coast who were able to accommodate a group of our size. Terry and his staff were more than accommodating everything from a safety pin to a tumble dryer, when one of our party fell in the sea. I have read that the Hotel is dated? What do you expect from a period hotel? The decor is maintained in a period theme, the windows are beautiful original stained glass, with secondary glazing internally. The Hotel, from first impressions, gives a homely and character charm, you can sit in any room and feel at home almost at once. All of our group complimented us on an excellent find, and the price was well within our budget. We were given a separate function room for all our evening frivolities, at no extra cost.
We will definitely be looking to use this venue again in the future, as we travel around the Anglia region on an annual basis we change venues annually, and will struggle to find a more suitable venue in this region. So we hope that in a few years time this Hotel will still be available to us. For our group it definitely ticked all the right boxes.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Stuart_Lucas_785JKB
terryb34, Owner at The Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 11 May 2013
thanks very much guys, it was a pleasure having your group,hope to see you again , good luck
terry & the team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

We were greeted by a really nice receptionist on arrival and unfortunately we didn't see her again. We were running late for a dinner so I didn't enter our room until after 11pm otherwise I would have complained that night. It was a bit grim. They hadn't put enough curtain hooks on the curtains by a long way and they looked so scruffy. The bathroom was really dated, I could have coped with dated but there was no shower and a small corner bath with a hand held shower on a short cord - not good for my tall husband. There were also hairs in the plug hole that I had to remove with a tissue.

I would have felt better if we had paid a budget price but we hadn't. We asked to change rooms but the hotel was full as there was a large group booking. The lady on reception really didn't care or even ask us why why wanted to change rooms?

Food was what we expected for the price.

One thing I can't stand is being cold and in the evening I was always cold, I don't expect this in a hotel.

We weren't asked if we enjoyed our stay, a very blunt checkout with no niceties.

The stay just creeps into the OK bracket. My advice is ask for a nice room, there must be better ones than ours. It is in a good location- very pretty.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank friendlytraveller01
terryb34, Owner at The Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 9 May 2013
this couple stayed with a group of 34 people from the standard motor club, everyone of whom had a wonderful time, i personally spoke to everybody that stayed, but everytime i asked this couple if all was o.k they just nodded.There was never a mention of being cold from them or anybody else in the hotel. yes there was no shower in the room only a bath, with a hair wash attachment, when they booked the hotel they should have asked for a shower,it just annoys me that people can write what they wish when they have left and there is nothing we can do about it as its too late.
regards Terry
Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2013

I enjoyed the carvery today when we visited in the exceptionally warm sunshine. With lovely views out onto the sea in an area formerly closed off, my girlfriend and I had a very pleasant lunch and she was pleased to revisit somewhere she had been to frequently when visiting family in the area.

Nice choice of meat and an excellent choice of vegetables with pretty smooth service left no room for complaint.

Two niggles.

The absence of tablecloths is, I assume, a cost-cutting measure - but it did make the room feel rather bare.

The other concern was the extent to which the gravy might have contained flavour enhancer - a common practice, I know. I was not affected in any way, but there were indications for my girlfriend of a possible reaction. This is by no means a certainty - but worth mentioning.

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
terryb55, Owner at The Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 16 April 2013
hi guys thanks for your review, yes we have taken off the tablecloths and cotton napkins as the cost per tableis circa £5.00 in theses days of austerity is just too much.
as for the gravy i wished you had asked at the time its all pure meat stock from all the meats we cook and a few bones etc we stew up hope that satisfies your curiosity many thanks terry
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2013

My sister and I went to Norfolk for the weekend to revisit our childhood holiday haunts as part of my 40th birthday celebrations. My sister booked us into The Manor Hotel, and it was smashing! It was very quiet in the village that weekend, and the hotel itself was quiet, but that did nothing to spoil the warm and friendly welcome we got. Our room (no5) was lovely, a single and double bed, with a walk in wardrobe and big shower, very clean, nicely decorated and very comfy beds. The breakfast was good, we only had cereal and toast but a cooked was available, and juices, yogurt etc. We had our evening meal there on the Saturday and that was not only very good, but very reasonably priced, too. My sister had the cheesy chips, I had the beer battered cod.
We had a quick look around the lounge area on our last morning, and it was lovely- in summer it must be heaving, and I expect it has a lot of functions on, too (there was a nice area outside with tables, but it was too cold for us to contemplate!!). One little thing we liked was the old guest book in the entrance- it dates from the early 60's to around 1971, and it was fascinating to have a flick through it, especially when we found a couple from our home town who'd stayed in the same room as us, in 1971!
I would recommend this hotel and would happily stay here again. Thanks to all the staff for making us feel so welcome and our stay so pleasant!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
terryb55, Owner at The Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 16 April 2013
hi ladies so glad you enjoyed your stay hope to see you again many thanks for review from terry
Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2013

I would like to recommend the Carvery on a Sunday at The Manor Hotel, I visited there for lunch last Sunday (Mother's Day) - the food was excellent, great selection of meats and vegetables.

The Staff were very welcoming and helpful even though they were busy

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Veronica_A66
Aberdeen
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2012

I stayed one night while on business in October 2012. I got a single room on the 2nd floor. It was clean, nice sized and I'd be happy to stay again.

Breakfast was fine, but I didn't use the restaurant or bar so can't comment on them. I did however go to the Ship Inn just down the road which is worth a visit.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank TightwadJock
Lincolnshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2012

From the moment we stepped into this hotel we felt totally at ease. This is a victorian hotel with all the usual victorian quirks - please do not compare it with a travelodge type hotel. Our room (Room 8) was at the rear corner of the hotel and had two great windows; one was stained glass and the other had the most wonderful view of the sea - I didn't want to leave! The food was excellent, we had evening meals two of the three nights we stayed. Breakfast was all fresh and cooked to order and a considerable list of items. The bedroom was furnished well and comfortable, all the home comforts. The decor throughout was fresh and clean, without losing the victorian ambience. All the staff were friendly and really enjoyed what they were doing, nothing was any trouble and all served with a smile. I am sorry to say that we did not memorise the owners names, they were so helpful, welcoming and friendly - thank you both. If you are looking for somewhere quiet with a fantastic seaview and walks this has got to be your destination.

Room Tip: You cannot beat a sea-view room!