“A wonderful holiday”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Montieri
Stockholm
“A wonderful holiday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2010

I stayed at Prategiano for 8 lovely days with my husband and our kids, who are 3 and 5. All of us had a great time - it was a bit too cold to swim in the big pool, but the kids had a lot of fun simply by running round it and playing with the water. The hot tub was wonderful - we never let a day go by without soaking in it.

We really appreciated the warmth of the Prategiano team and we feel that this is a great place to stay if you have young children. My husband and the kids always found ways of entertaining themselves when I went out horseback riding, which I did for 4 of our 8 days at Prategiano.

I loved riding through the beautiful Tuscan countryside and I'm really glad there are groups for experienced riders - that's not the case everywhere. I'm also really glad the rest of my family could join me for the picnic lunches - that was a lot of fun!

All in all, I really recommend Prategiano for equestrians and for families with young kids alike. Such a lovely place!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Czech first
wellington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2010

All round prefect Tuscany experience .Views from hotel of Tuscan hills and countryside so beautiful. Hotel stone buildings and garden and swimming pool great for relaxing after horse-riding or touring. Location is great as can drive for day trips to Siena ,Pisa, Florence etc. Family run hospitality makes you feel welcome and homestyle food is delicious. Horse riding is very well run. The riding teachers are kind and competent and they help you gain the skills you need to enjoy the experience.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2010

We stayed here four nights in early June. The main aim of this part of our holiday was to do some riding and to see a bit more of Tuscany. We had already spent a week a week in the Chianti region of Tuscany. Prategiano is a family run hotel and has been around since 1971. The rooms are very comfortable. We were very lucky to be upgraded to a two room apartment which was the size of a house. Two bedrooms, two bathrooms, huge living area and a dining room. Decor is OK, the rooms are very cosy and in keeping with the three star standard. The only criticism I would have is that although we had a stove there were no cooking implements to be able to make use of the kitchen. We had some fantastic meals in the restaurant, there is an 18 euro three course meal served up each night. We dined there on three occasions and the food is really good. Pool area is nice and clean, pool is large. Whirlpool is great after a day of riding. I managed to do three days of riding while my husband, who was riding for the first time, did two days. The horses are well cared for and in excellent condition. The rides take you through beautiful countryside and cater for all levels of riders. The staff at the hotel are fantastic. It was lovely to meet the family that own the hotel. Andrea, the grandson, takes many of the trail rides and we met Roberto, Andrea's Dad as well. There are a lot of international staff working at the hotel as part of a working holiday in Tuscany. This means that many nationalities are catered for and the service provided is of a higher standard. A special thank you to staff member, Emma, who did a great job with the horses and generally answering any questions we had about the hotel. Staff on reception were also great. Brando gave us great directions on how to get to Sorrento. My only regret is that we are not still there. We definitely recommend this hotel. Particularly for families and couples.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Helsingborg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2010

This little getaway in the Tuscan mountains was perfect for our gathering of six good friends who had decided to do something a little more daring than just sight-seeing and shopping. Very friendly staff, great food and wine (this is Italy, after all!), lovely surroundings, and stable and affable horses. The riding trips were enough adventurous also for the more experienced, and the three course lunches including wine delivered by the riverside, in splendid isolation with our horses, were just grand. Comfortable beds, a nice lounge with big fireplace and a lovely garden with a pool and jacuzzi adds up to a great weekend. Drinking spumante at sunset in the outdoor jacuzzi after a day in the saddle really makes you appreciate life.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
Manchester, MI USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2010

My first trip to Italy. I spent my first week on a group tour with the tour group Contiki. Saw the major highlights, Rome, Florence, and Venice. My last 4 days were spent at Prategiano, in Montieri. I wanted to go horseback riding. I am an experienced rider and wanted to do some serious riding. Not the kind where your horse follows the one in front of it. I was pleasantly surprised by Prategiano, they met my expectations.
The staff there is very helpful and attentive. My riding guide, Kathy, was great. I enjoyed talking with her about all her riding experience, and all her travels. She was very knowledgeable and friendly. The horses were very dependable. The terrain was very rocky and hilly. The horses were very sure footed and in good shape. I trusted their footing. The saddles and tack were a little worn and pieced together, but functional. Not the most comfortable saddles. I had a blast on the rides and seeing the country side. My favorite part was the gallops! I was able to gallop at parts in the tail and the horses go full out, which I thought was a blast!!! Not for the novice or beginner, but it was the best part! I rode two different horses, and liked them both. Because I was traveling by myself, Katy and another female staff member my age took me to town for pizza. That was fun, and very nice of them. I was impressed with Kathy, she spoke 3 langue’s and really knew horses. I also went hiking in the area and that was great. I would recommend this hotel for horse trail riding.
This place will accomadate the novice or beginner rider too, dont think they wont. They have a nice outdoor pool too.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2009

My partner, my two teenage daughters and I had a fabulous week at Prategiano - the girls adored the riding which they did every day and the walking for the adults was terrific. Trails are challenging in parts (too much for us to mountain bike) but always beautiful - remember to take food and water with you in case you get lost as we did often! We chose to eat in the hotel for all our meals and it was always delicious - and eating outside looking over the hills was never a problem. Brando and his team are really charming and the whole feeling is of one big family. Our family room was huge and airy (two bedrooms, two showers) with comfortable beds. Somewhat on the faded side and some maintenance needed on the shower floor and one sofa. Overall brilliant!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2009

We picked this hotel because of the associated activities they provide (horse riding/biking/walking). The horse riding facilities are very good. Beautiful horses! Due to the terrain the trekking involved a lot of walking and limited trotting / cantering but all in all a very enjoyable experience.

The hotel is located a short uphill walk from the village of Montieri (under an hour from Siena) with stunning views out over the Tuscan hills. The rooms are perfectly adequate, however they could do with some new linen and bed clothes. (the bed clothes had some non-funky retro print on them and the towels could have done with a bit of softener)

The place had a very homely feel - a large sitting room with an open fire a small dining room.

There is a pool area with pool and hot tub. The pool was closed because we were there late in the season.

There is a limited evening meal (€18 pp for a 3 course meal) available. For the price, the food is adequate. Noting noteworthy though ...so if you're not too tired after your day of activities its worth making the stroll into the village (Theres two really good places in the village to eat).

Overall, a very nice place to get away from it all for a few days.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montieri
L'Andana
#1 of 3 in Chiusdino
Relax Hotel Aquaviva
Relax Hotel Aquaviva
#5 of 12 in Casole d'Elsa

Been to Hotel Prategiano - Maremma Toscana? Share your experiences!