“Honeymoon Perfection”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Holetown
Portsmouth
“Honeymoon Perfection”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2008

As someone who works in the industry, I spent alot of time picking my perfect honeymoon destination and hotel.

After speaking to various colleagues we settled on Mango Bay, which came highly recommended and boy were they right.

We had booked an oceanfront room, but to our delight and surprise, we were upgraded to 1 of the 2 penthouses, which was out of this world. Huge 4 poster bed, plasma tv's, lounge, massive balcony with a plunge pool. Absolute heaven.

Food was sensational and the a la carte menu was different every night. Brand name drinks behind the bar. 2 rareities for an all inclusive.

Staff were all friendly, with the exception of 1 or 2 front desk staff who seemed very unapproachable. Restaurant staff were the complete opposite.

Pool was perfect, beach much bigger than it looks although the rule of not being able to reserve sunbeds was rarely enforced and quite annoying. Didnt even notice the so called "swamp stench".

Spoke to lots of repeat guests, which speaks volumes. Some couples had been going there for 15 years.

We wanted a quiet, chilled, relaxing break and Mango Bay fitted the bill. I am used to bigger, chain hotels, but just might go down the small & friendly route, more often in the future and will definitely be re-visiting Mango Bay.

1 word of caution. We went out on the catamaran trip included in the all inclusive package to swim with turtles which was good. So good, we went out and booked another trip through a company in Bridgetown. The 2nd trip was much better, with more knowledgeable crew who told us that lifejackets were compulsory if you wanted to swim with the turtles. This rule or law, was not enforced by the hotel organised cruise.

• Liked — The room
  • Disliked — Unapproachable front desk staff
6 Thank Bookem_8

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (461)
West Lothian, Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2008

My boyfriend and I have just returned from Mango Bay and we wished we were back there, we loved it so much. There is something seriously wrong with anyone that has anything negative to say about this hotel. Our holiday was absolutely amazing.

Arrival: Firstly, when we arrived you are welcomed by efficient friendly staff, offered a rum or fruit punch then taken on a personal tour around the grounds and then up to our ocean front view room. The scenery was amazing and so romantic.

Restaurant: Breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner are all excellent. Service is second to none, wine/drinks are obviously unlimited, your wine glass is never less than half full. Staff are extremely accommodating and attentive as well as pleasant and fun.

Bar: Whole array of cocktails again served by fun and friendly staff. All alcohol is proper labels, no locally produced alcohol (except rum!)

Beach: Lovely sand and sea. Comfortable sun loungers with umbrellas. A simple 'no thank you' to beach vendors does the trick when they pass by offering their wares. Jet skiis are excellent - see Chris if your interested.

Housekeeping: This service is again second to none. Staff in the evening turn down your bed and deliver your pillow chocolates along with collecting your dirty beach towels and providing your fresh ones for the following day. The staff are soo lovely and fun. They always came to our room for a dance to our caribbean music and we had a right laugh - move from the hips maan!

Our suggestions/recommendations: We went to Oistins which we would highly recommend however we took the organised hotel transport - leave hotel at 7 and leave Oistins at 10. This was a mistake as Oistins is just kicking off at 10. Bands start and 10 so you miss out if your getting picked up at that time. I would either suggest you take the transport there but get a taxi back. 50-60BDS to get back which is approx £15-18.

I would not recommend this place for kids. We had a childfree holiday and went without our kids and when we were there we did say that it is not a place for children as there is not much for them to do.

During the rainy season the mosquitoes are rife. Ensure you have repellent. You can also request that your room is sprayed each evening whilst you are out to dinner.

Ensure you visit the 'One Love Bar' on a Sunday night - its just outside the hotel round to the right. There is a Karaoke on, everyone just stands in the street and dances, its hilarious - a real eye opener so its a must!

Opt for an ocean front room - it is more expensive but worth every penny. I do know that some of the front and side rooms can get quite noisy.

Scuba diving in the pool - I tried this and was glad I did. Phillip was excellent, he really kept me calm and talked me through each step.

• Liked — ocean front view room, staff, food,
  • Disliked — the cats scrounging around the restaurant
5 Thank Deli-Stu
Philadelphia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2008

Mango Bay for Dummies

Intro

I’m a 28 year old married teacher from Delaware . I’ve been to Mexico twice ( Riviera Maya) was that is the only thing I can compare Barbados too. I read tripadvisor religiously and picked Mango Bay because it was the #2 ranked hotel. Went through www. Cheapcaribbean. Com with no problems. Got a good deal for Best of Barbados 7 nights for 2 for less than 3 grand everything covered.

Island

Was very worried about my pick to go to Barbados during the drive to the hotel. Fields everywhere, mostly sugar cane, and lots of unpainted concrete houses everywhere apparently if you don’t paint your house, you don’t have to pay property taxes there). Not very tropical looking. Went to the east coast later in the week and it was pretty tropical looking though. The roads are narrow, and everyone drives on the opposite side of the road (if you’re American of course). We ended up renting a car one day and realized no roads are marked and if they are, their names weren’t the same as the map we had. It took about 45minute to drive from airport to hotel. The only real city there is Bridgetown , and I don’t recommend going or driving there. Once we got to Holetown, it got sort of nicer but the town was kind of a hole (thus Holetown). It doesn’t really look like a town, more of a road that goes along the beach with little roads leading to resorts and bars with some restaurants scattered around.

Hotel

Mango Bay is small. 60 rooms I think, which is good if you like a low key location, but it is not very impressive compared to the mega-resorts in Mexico . I would say ambiance is a modest 3 star. There is one bar and one restaurant. Both weren’t crowed and were generally pretty nice. The pool is tiny but never looked crowded anyway. Met the manager Sherri (?), she was extremely nicer, and looked like she was on top of everything. The hotel is definitely run well.

Room

Our room was on the third floor facing the pool and restaurant. Could also sort of see the ocean as well. A very modest room with a really ugly red marble bathroom. It had a little flat screen TV and about 18 channels. The bed was a king but it was actually two twins stuck together. The room was cleaned 3 times a day! I have never seen such great maid service. The room was always spotless no matter how much my wife and I were slobs. The deck door was kind of thin so we could hear the bar but it honestly didn’t really ever bother me. I couldn’t hear anyone in other rooms which was a lot better than my trips to Mexico . My sister and brother, who went with us, had a much nicer and more modern room.

Probably one of the most important parts of any trip is the food. Mango bay has one restaurant and you have to make reservations for lunch and dinner at breakfast everyday. I would have to say the food at mango bay was pretty good. The chefs there seemed to do a lot with little. There was always a choice of about 4-5 appetizers, 4 entrees, and 3 desserts. Some of the appetizers ( that I can remember) were: flying fish, smoked salmon mousse, usually some kind of kebob, and some sort of pureed soup or salad. Entrees were usually a fish (snapper, salmon, tuna), meat (steak, lamb, chicken) or Caribbean dish. They always came with strategically placed vegetables, and a choice of a souped up rice or potato dish. There was a lot of effort involved in the dishes and yhey were good, but nothing compared to a fancy city restaurant. Overall, I would say the food was still the best I’ve had at an all-inclusive. Desserts were OK. Their chocolate cups with mousse were my favorite. Service was usally really good in the beggining of the meal, and pretty inconsistant by the time you wanted dessert. Lunch took and hour and dinner hour and a half.

Bar

The bar was large enough that it was never crowded (except for manager’s cocktail party). I liked how they actually had a drink menu with about 20 specialty drinks on it. It let me try new drinks I could never think of on my own. There alcohol selection was OK. They had Jack, Mount Gay and a few other name brands, but no Captain or Name Vodka’s. The bar tenders were good (Jonathan and Rondell especially)but sometimes inconsistent with drinks. I think that had partially to do with the fact most of the bottles didn’t had pour tops and they were making some complicated drinks. I felt bad for the bar tenders because a lot of the drinks on the menu were labor intensive and sometimes it would take a while for them to make the drinks. The wine was OK. The white was a little below average ( a Vital fin ???) and the red was pretty decent (blend).

Beach

The sand area of the beach is small but who cares. There are no waves, and barely any tide. It wasn’t too crowded ever but the best chairs would be filled up by 8:00 . The sand is pretty soft, but not very white. South coast had better sand. The one complaint I had about the beach is being harassed but jet ski peddlers every 20 minutes asking me if I wanted to rent a jet ski or get a food massage. They were extremely fake and annoying. I’d be in my chair asleep and they would wake me up to ask me the same [-] they asked my 20 minutes before. Then they would try to guilt you. That is actually my biggest complaint.

Water

The water is the best part of Mango bay. It’s calm and very clear. It’s not as turquoise and pretty as Mexico ’s but is a little clearer.

Snorkeling

This is actually one of the most important aspects of my vacation. I love to snorkel. I have no idea what to expect from Barbados as far as snorkeling went. At first I was quite disappointed with the snorkeling at Mango bay, but I did some exploring down the beach and was pleasantly surprised. There are two marine parks quite close by (Folkestone). If you head right on the beach it is probably 400 yards down the beach. Not the easiest walk but worth it. You know your there because you’ll usually see waves breaking on the reef and a yellow lifeguard stand there. The snorkeling was OK there but if you head left (from MB) down the beach about 600 yards you’ll hit the much better Folkestone marine park (past Cocomos and Cheffete). Just look for boats parked outside the booyies. The snorkeling there is pretty impressive. Healthy coral everywhere, lots of fish, and even a shipwreck. To see turtles I suggest just booking the catamaran trip (lot easier than walking 2 miles). Snorkeling I saw: butterfly fish, angel fish, scorpion fish (beware poisonous) , trunkfish, eels, parrotfish, grunts, drum, squirrelfish, wrasses, lizardfish, stingrays, and even an octopus that lived in a hole right in front of Mango bay. Overall, I would have to say the snorkeling is slightly better than Mexico but different.

Trips

Did the catamaran trip, free and I definitely recommend. Went wake boarding a few times and enjoyed it. I also went surfing with Dread or Dead (there brochure is in the lobby). I cannot recommend them enough. Our guide Jay was awesome. My wife did the lessons (@75) and I did the surf tour (@ 150). They pretty much picked us up for free, gave us boards and drove us to the best surf locations on the island. I went to Soup Bowls and some spot north of Oistins on the south coast. If you go to soup bowls, I recommend I long board (if the conditions are bad and they were when I went). It’s a hard wave to catch when its choppy. The east coast is beautiful and pretty much deserted. We also surfed a spot on the south coast and I liked it a lot better. The water was a lot clearer and less choppy. It did start to get crowded around 4 o’clock after school and work let out.

We also rented a car one day and went to crane beach. The drive was not easy. None of the roads were labeled and the map they gave us was useless but we knew if we followed the water we would eventually find it and we did. It is by far the prettiest beach I have ever seen. If you walk down the beach and around some rocks, we found a great deserted beach (except for a few topless sun bathers) with some little caves. I recommend just taking a cab there, and eating in there restaurant on top of the cliff.

Conclusion

Mango bay will not blow you away with its ambiance, but it will impress you with its service. I felt it was worth the money and definitely a gem. I do have to warm some of you who like sheik, fancy hotels, that it might disappoint you. I was a little disappointed but Mango Bay won me over. Oh by the way it rained probably 12 times a day for about 8 minutes a piece. This seemed to be the norm for the rainy season. My surf guide told me the weather on the south of the island is a little better though. Also I would have to say that 75% of the guests there are British, which I didn’t mind because they are generally more polite than Americans anyway. In general I’m still partial to Mexico but liked Barbados and loved Mango Bay.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
16 Thank captain_sanchez
Clemson, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2008

Mango Bay is what it is advertised to be, a three star resort. The rooms are comfortable, clean and maid service is very good. We were in an ocean front room upper level, so noise was not a problem other than listening to some less than entertaining entertainment some evenings. The lagoon does smell, and it was dirty. I found that to be very distracting each morning when we got up and out on the beach. We found breakfast to be rather dull and predictable and after first couple of mornings there was no yogurt to be found, there was always fresh fruit and juice so that option was appreciated. Lunches were good, although they did repeat the menu fairly often during the week we were there. I must commend the chef on the variety of soups which were served with lunch and dinner. I also thought portion sizes were very appropriate. Dinner was usually very good, although the two nights of buffet style left much to be desired. Our service on all occasions at the restaurant was excellent. Hats off to little Michelle and Renee at breakfast and lunch. The bar was fine, beer was a bit on the tepid side, but the bartenders did a good job. I wouldnt say they were overly friendly but then they did have a lot to do. The beach was fine, though small and we did get up quite early each morning to get a chair on the beach, had no trouble maintaining it all day if we wanted it. We did take the catamaran ride which was fun, my husband took advantage of the free water-skiing and we also took out the small hobie a few times while there. I have to say that the least friendly people there were the front desk staff. It seemed a chore for them to be of assistance with just about anything. The manager told us at the Wed cocktail party to let them know if anything was a problem so that evening I went to the staff in the front to mention that for a few nights the mosquitoes were bothering me at dinner, I assumed they would have a lotion or spray in a first aid kit. Finally, she brought out her own spray out of the desk and I used this. It was very helpful and rather than buy my own I continued to go to the front office each evening for a spray. I could tell the personnel in the office werent very keen on this but they didnt refuse me. . On our last day, we asked one of the front office personnel to take a picture of us, since we had none of us together on the trip. She acted as if we had asked her to do something quite difficult and quickly took the photo and rushed off. It wasnt as if she was busy, and there were three people in the front office at the time so she didnt have to hurry. All in all we had a nice time, would be go back? Not sure, maybe to Barbados, maybe to Mango Bay, but probably we would look elsewhere to stay.

• Liked — Dinner was well-planned and service in restaurant outstanding
  • Disliked — Location - beside smelly lagoon
4 Thank htilil2
Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2008

We arrived at the hotel late afternoon and were met with a rum punch, quick check-in and a tour of the hotel. I could tell straight away that we were going to have the time of our lives. Our room was stunning (deluxe room) it looked and felt extremely clean, there was a 26" flat screen TV, luxury balcony furniture, modern bathroom and a chilled bottle of bubbly! The bed was very comfortable and the linen was clean, soft and fresh. The hotel itself is in an excellent state of repair, all walls are fresh white paint, floor tiling is stylish and everywhere is clean.

Food - A la carte most nights. Never saw the same menu twice and each had a good selection of seafood, a vegetarian option and 2 meat options. The food was never served cold and was always very tasty, and cooked to your requirements. My wine glass was never empty and my husband struggled to finish a beer without a waitress offering another. The service at the tables was excellent, like you would expect from fine restaurants. We only ate out once, the food was disapointing compared to Mango Bay food.

Drink- Wide selection of cocktails. One of the barmen (Jonathon) was great at mixing something new to try that wasn't on the menu. The wine was great, which was a lovely suprise from a Carribean hotel. Served from glass bottles rather than plastic canisters, the red was exceptionaly nice and served at a perfect temperature.

Beach- Clean, beautiful, perfect size for the hotel and didn't feel crowded even when the hotel was full.

Pool- Again very clean. Beautiful layout, shaded in most areas to suit peoples needs. Sun loungers were wooden with a thick comfy pad. Pure luxury!

Staff - Lovely, we enjoyed the company and work of Tony, the Hotel's jewellery seller. Please give him your business when buying jewellery as they are truly beautiful, handmade pieces.

Entertainment - Enjoyable and not overbearing. Most nights it would be a local singer or musician which was in keeping with the relaxing style of the hotel. On one night there were a couple of limbo dancers which were great to watch and did encourage a bit of audience participation for those wanting to give it a try (men and women alike!)

Overall I would give this holiday a 5* rating as the hotel met and exceeded our expectations. If you enjoy everything we mentioned above then this is a great choice for romantic break or mother/daughter pamper week. If you're looking for a fun break with friends then choose somewhere else and come back with a special someone another time.

Hope you find this helpful!

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
7 Thank dhyzfr6
Upstate South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2008

We are devoted all-inclusive vacationers. We have stayed at many of the large "chain" resorts....love them.
The not so good first...Noise from the street side bars...We were not in the units across from the bar, but got our "fair-share" of boom-boom, thru the night. We were in the condo units and to my surprise, they didn't have enclosed windows, they were lourvered and could not block out the noise. We tried using pillows stuffed in the openings with little success. The room was large and nice but only the bedroom is airconditioned. We had to keep the bedroom door shut just to cool it enough for sleeping. The restaurant service at lunch was slow, please remember, we are use to the large resorts where things move at a little faster pace. Lunch would take over an hour. Dinner we liked the slower pace. This is a little much for lunch when we go to enjoy the beach, water and sun. We did have an issue one evening with the wait staff and it appeared to us that the members of this particular team were a little slack. The meal selection this evening didn't thrill my wife or I and we didn't eat very much of the main course. We waited for the dessert menu to be brought but they kept avoiding us. I finally ask for the menu and the lady was reluctant in bringing it. We ordered and waited and waited. They finally brought the ice cream but then turned around and went back into the kitchen for something else, we just sat there with no ice cream and we decided to just leave. The next day at lunch this same team was working and made our lunch miserable..we had been there for over an hour and many others had sat, been served and left before we were even offered the dessert menu. It was very obvious that this team didn't care if we got served or not.
The catamaran trip lasted only an hour, was suppose to have been two. My wife is not a strong swimmer and I requested a life jacket for her and got a bunch of lip from one of the crew members. We have been a catamaran trips in Barbados before and they required life jackets for everyone. This crew member made an announcement before we got in the water that if you couldn't swim, don't get in the water. Well duh huh, why do you go to swim with turtles if you don't get in the water. Pass out life jackets...dummy.
Being the easy-going people we are, we didn't report any of this and the restaurant service was very good with the other teams. We opted to go snorkeling up the beach instead of the glass bottom boat.
Food....breakfast...typical buffet...limited selection
lunch...good menu selection...just took too long
dinner...very good selection....very good food
Drinks...very good...Banks beer..very good
The good.....everything else...great snorkeling 100 yds up the beach at the platform. Snorkel Ok right off the beach. We didn't even get in the pool...looked nice but when the ocean is like a pool..who needs chlorine? This is a small resort and can not offer all the amentities of the larger chain resort and we knew that going in.
Would we go back....not before next weekend (yes). Would we get the same room...no...ocean front or close to it...stay away from the standard rooms. FYI...there were no children there during our stay.
This resort caters to our friends from Great Britain and Ireland... very nice folks..talk a little funny....the afternoon tea was nice, even though I had a beer and my wife had a fancy drink. Sandwiches were great.
Would we do some things different...probably
Would we recommend Mango Bay...yes..
The greater part of the staff were very helpful and friendly.

Stayed June 2008
6 Thank fosters811
Wrexham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2008

My new husband and I stayed at Mango Bay for our honeymoon (along with many other honeymooners!!) We were greeted with rum punch and shown to ur room - we booked superior from reading the reviews on trip advisor (glad we did as I believe the standards although are great rooms, can be noisey) - the room was fine although could be a bit noisey with the cleaning staff in the mornings but we were up early anyway so it didn't really matter - at the end of the day who wants to spend wll day in their room? Although we didn't get our free up-grade we were treated to champange.

We really loved it at he hotel - it is small but that adds to it - the mangeress spends time almost everyday walking around the pool and beach checking that everyone is happy and believe me if there is a problem it is sorted out immediately! If you are expecting utter luxury then this probably isn't the place for you but I know we wouldn't be happy staying at a huge complex. This was our first time AI and I do think we were spoilt with the food and drink. We had a daily bet that we could finish a glass of wine without it being re-filled - it took over a week and a half for me to win the bet!

There are loads of water sports to keep you entertained, a great spa and old Del Boy Chleston is always around organising trips out - we made the 20/20 cricket and the horse racing - fantastic!

I have to comment on those who have said that the staff were rude and unhelpful - we didn't experience this at all - the Bajans are so laid back and helpful it is unbelievable - we had a great time with them!

The beach is narrow but we spent most of our time by the pool so we didn't mind. Evening entertainment isn't fantastic but we met some fantastic poeple and get out into the piano bar and IML for some kareoke with the locals, unfortunatley raggamuffins burnt down while we were there - but I'll never forget seeing one of the locals chilling with a beer sitting on the burnt verander the next day!! Seriously get out and get around Barbados - it is amazing and you won't fail to be entertained and have the best time.

Overall we loved it at Mango Bay - everday there is somebody doing something to keep the hotel maintained, whether it be gardening, painting and even washing the walls. Oh yes - I did get bitten but the staff will sprays your rooms if you ask. It is maybe a bit rough around the edges but I think this adds to the charm. Go there with an open mind - after all a holiday is what you make it and we meet some amazing people who just added to the whole experiece..... (you know who you are!!!)..... We wouldn't hesitate to return or recommened to anyone else. We will be going back!

• Liked — Couln't help getting caught up with the utterly relaxed atmosphere
  • Disliked — not alot!
9 Thank stellabells
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holetown
Beach View
Sugar Bay Barbados
Sugar Bay Barbados
#2 of 9 in Hastings
The Club, Barbados Resort and Spa
The Club, Barbados Resort and Sp...
#10 of 26 in Saint James Parish
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,670 reviews

Been to Mango Bay All Inclusive? Share your experiences!