Mango Bay All Inclusive
US$219
  • Pool
Coral Reef Club(Holetown)(Great Value!)
US$505
Hotels.com
The Sandpiper(Saint James Parish)(Great Value!)
US$505
US$462
Divi Heritage(Saint James Parish)
US$102
The Club, Barbados Resort & Spa(Saint James Parish)(Great Value!)
US$357
Bookit.com
  • Breakfast included
All Seasons Resort Europa(Sunset Crest)(Great Value!)
US$106
  • Pool
US$598
US$423
Travelocity
Fairmont Royal Pavilion(Porters)(Great Value!)
US$727
US$545
Travelocity
Royal Westmoreland(Saint James Parish)
1,693 results
All reviewssuperior roomglass bottom boatlunch and dinnercatamaran tripsmall hotelwater skiingrum punchthe penthousefree catamarancold towelsa la cartewaitress servicebar staffocean frontevening entertainmentstreet partyour honeymoon
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 July 2008

Just returned from Mango Bay with my husband and two teenage daughters (15 & 17). We liked the hotel and had a very relaxing stay.
In brief:
Rooms - we had rooms on the fourth floor overlooking the pool. All recently refurbished and very nice indeed. Only one question . . .why have a 'window' between the bathroom and main bedroom ? An open space with only shutters to close, and even those had a gap in the middle! There are times I really don't want to be having a chat with my other half! Also, it meant if you put the bathroom light on during the night, the light shone directly on anyone sleeping in the bed! Very odd, but hardly a major gripe. We had a problem with our hot water on the first day, but when I mentioned it to the Manager she was instantly on the phone and there was a guy in there within minutes. Very efficient.
Pool area: well kept, though some people would insist on being out there by 7.30am to 'reserve' their particular spot each day. British I'm afraid! A little sad, but she did have a lovely even tan by the end of the week!! There was always somewhere to find a space either by the beach or pool.
Beach: small but adequate and never felt crowded. I really liked the idea that the floats, canoes, pedalloes etc were just put out every day for anyone to use when they wanted them. No one seemed to hog them and it meant you could have a few minutes here and there without the hassle of booking them out. You can walk to 'Sandy Lane' from here, it takes about twenty minutes going via the beach. Be prepared to clamber over a few rocks. SL has a lovely beach to stroll along.
Word of warning re. the catarmaran trip.
We went swimming with the turtles, but the staff on the cat. were very lax about safety. There was no rule about life jackets and no First Aid kit. My daughter slipped and fell from the cat. Her goggles (provided by the crew) smashed when she hit the water and resulted in a nasty gash to the bridge of her nose. Luckily she had closed her eyes and so no pieces got in there, but there were other small cuts around her eyes. She received no help at all from the crew. My husband and I were unaware what had happened as we were still swimming, and it was other guests who very kindly supplied cloths, plasters and general TLC until we returned. The crew merely offered a toilet role to mop up the blood! Similarly on the glass bottom boat, the steps were broken, which meant entry/exit to and from the water was difficult, and as it rocked a lot it was dangerous and could have resulted in another accident. I pointed all this out to the manager who was horrified and promised to have firm words with the owner. I am sure she will too.......she is that sort of manager!
An aside to the above...the Medical centre along the road is excellent. Spotlessly clean and bright with friendly, caring staff. NHS please note!!
Food and restaurant ; a credit to the hotel. Always polite, helpful and pleasant . The food was much better than I expecterd for an all-inclusive.
Bar : as above. I can highly recommend the cocktail list.

Our daughters sampled the night life outside the front door and found it all to be friendly and good humoured. As the bars are literally a few yards from the gate there is no problem about getting back to the hotel. I would not, however, recommend a room backing on to that street as on Fridays and Sundays it must have been very noisy for those rooms when the bars were in full swing.
I would certainly recommend Mango Bay if you want a quiet, relaxing holiday. My teens were a little bored at times, but that was not a reflection on the hotel, just that fact that it was early in July ( we finished on 3rd!) and it is a small hotel and therefore there were not many people the same age.....probably more will appear as the holiday season hots up.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
5  Thank sugarpine
Reviewed 15 July 2008

As someone who works in the industry, I spent alot of time picking my perfect honeymoon destination and hotel.

After speaking to various colleagues we settled on Mango Bay, which came highly recommended and boy were they right.

We had booked an oceanfront room, but to our delight and surprise, we were upgraded to 1 of the 2 penthouses, which was out of this world. Huge 4 poster bed, plasma tv's, lounge, massive balcony with a plunge pool. Absolute heaven.

Food was sensational and the a la carte menu was different every night. Brand name drinks behind the bar. 2 rareities for an all inclusive.

Staff were all friendly, with the exception of 1 or 2 front desk staff who seemed very unapproachable. Restaurant staff were the complete opposite.

Pool was perfect, beach much bigger than it looks although the rule of not being able to reserve sunbeds was rarely enforced and quite annoying. Didnt even notice the so called "swamp stench".

Spoke to lots of repeat guests, which speaks volumes. Some couples had been going there for 15 years.

We wanted a quiet, chilled, relaxing break and Mango Bay fitted the bill. I am used to bigger, chain hotels, but just might go down the small & friendly route, more often in the future and will definitely be re-visiting Mango Bay.

1 word of caution. We went out on the catamaran trip included in the all inclusive package to swim with turtles which was good. So good, we went out and booked another trip through a company in Bridgetown. The 2nd trip was much better, with more knowledgeable crew who told us that lifejackets were compulsory if you wanted to swim with the turtles. This rule or law, was not enforced by the hotel organised cruise.

6  Thank Bookem_8
Reviewed 15 July 2008

My boyfriend and I have just returned from Mango Bay and we wished we were back there, we loved it so much. There is something seriously wrong with anyone that has anything negative to say about this hotel. Our holiday was absolutely amazing.

Arrival: Firstly, when we arrived you are welcomed by efficient friendly staff, offered a rum or fruit punch then taken on a personal tour around the grounds and then up to our ocean front view room. The scenery was amazing and so romantic.

Restaurant: Breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner are all excellent. Service is second to none, wine/drinks are obviously unlimited, your wine glass is never less than half full. Staff are extremely accommodating and attentive as well as pleasant and fun.

Bar: Whole array of cocktails again served by fun and friendly staff. All alcohol is proper labels, no locally produced alcohol (except rum!)

Beach: Lovely sand and sea. Comfortable sun loungers with umbrellas. A simple 'no thank you' to beach vendors does the trick when they pass by offering their wares. Jet skiis are excellent - see Chris if your interested.

Housekeeping: This service is again second to none. Staff in the evening turn down your bed and deliver your pillow chocolates along with collecting your dirty beach towels and providing your fresh ones for the following day. The staff are soo lovely and fun. They always came to our room for a dance to our caribbean music and we had a right laugh - move from the hips maan!

Our suggestions/recommendations: We went to Oistins which we would highly recommend however we took the organised hotel transport - leave hotel at 7 and leave Oistins at 10. This was a mistake as Oistins is just kicking off at 10. Bands start and 10 so you miss out if your getting picked up at that time. I would either suggest you take the transport there but get a taxi back. 50-60BDS to get back which is approx £15-18.

I would not recommend this place for kids. We had a childfree holiday and went without our kids and when we were there we did say that it is not a place for children as there is not much for them to do.

During the rainy season the mosquitoes are rife. Ensure you have repellent. You can also request that your room is sprayed each evening whilst you are out to dinner.

Ensure you visit the 'One Love Bar' on a Sunday night - its just outside the hotel round to the right. There is a Karaoke on, everyone just stands in the street and dances, its hilarious - a real eye opener so its a must!

Opt for an ocean front room - it is more expensive but worth every penny. I do know that some of the front and side rooms can get quite noisy.

Scuba diving in the pool - I tried this and was glad I did. Phillip was excellent, he really kept me calm and talked me through each step.

5  Thank Deli-Stu
Reviewed 6 July 2008

Mango Bay for Dummies

Intro

I’m a 28 year old married teacher from Delaware . I’ve been to Mexico twice ( Riviera Maya) was that is the only thing I can compare Barbados too. I read tripadvisor religiously and picked Mango Bay because it was the #2 ranked hotel. Went through www. Cheapcaribbean. Com with no problems. Got a good deal for Best of Barbados 7 nights for 2 for less than 3 grand everything covered.

Island

Was very worried about my pick to go to Barbados during the drive to the hotel. Fields everywhere, mostly sugar cane, and lots of unpainted concrete houses everywhere apparently if you don’t paint your house, you don’t have to pay property taxes there). Not very tropical looking. Went to the east coast later in the week and it was pretty tropical looking though. The roads are narrow, and everyone drives on the opposite side of the road (if you’re American of course). We ended up renting a car one day and realized no roads are marked and if they are, their names weren’t the same as the map we had. It took about 45minute to drive from airport to hotel. The only real city there is Bridgetown , and I don’t recommend going or driving there. Once we got to Holetown, it got sort of nicer but the town was kind of a hole (thus Holetown). It doesn’t really look like a town, more of a road that goes along the beach with little roads leading to resorts and bars with some restaurants scattered around.

Hotel

Mango Bay is small. 60 rooms I think, which is good if you like a low key location, but it is not very impressive compared to the mega-resorts in Mexico . I would say ambiance is a modest 3 star. There is one bar and one restaurant. Both weren’t crowed and were generally pretty nice. The pool is tiny but never looked crowded anyway. Met the manager Sherri (?), she was extremely nicer, and looked like she was on top of everything. The hotel is definitely run well.

Room

Our room was on the third floor facing the pool and restaurant. Could also sort of see the ocean as well. A very modest room with a really ugly red marble bathroom. It had a little flat screen TV and about 18 channels. The bed was a king but it was actually two twins stuck together. The room was cleaned 3 times a day! I have never seen such great maid service. The room was always spotless no matter how much my wife and I were slobs. The deck door was kind of thin so we could hear the bar but it honestly didn’t really ever bother me. I couldn’t hear anyone in other rooms which was a lot better than my trips to Mexico . My sister and brother, who went with us, had a much nicer and more modern room.

Probably one of the most important parts of any trip is the food. Mango bay has one restaurant and you have to make reservations for lunch and dinner at breakfast everyday. I would have to say the food at mango bay was pretty good. The chefs there seemed to do a lot with little. There was always a choice of about 4-5 appetizers, 4 entrees, and 3 desserts. Some of the appetizers ( that I can remember) were: flying fish, smoked salmon mousse, usually some kind of kebob, and some sort of pureed soup or salad. Entrees were usually a fish (snapper, salmon, tuna), meat (steak, lamb, chicken) or Caribbean dish. They always came with strategically placed vegetables, and a choice of a souped up rice or potato dish. There was a lot of effort involved in the dishes and yhey were good, but nothing compared to a fancy city restaurant. Overall, I would say the food was still the best I’ve had at an all-inclusive. Desserts were OK. Their chocolate cups with mousse were my favorite. Service was usally really good in the beggining of the meal, and pretty inconsistant by the time you wanted dessert. Lunch took and hour and dinner hour and a half.

Bar

The bar was large enough that it was never crowded (except for manager’s cocktail party). I liked how they actually had a drink menu with about 20 specialty drinks on it. It let me try new drinks I could never think of on my own. There alcohol selection was OK. They had Jack, Mount Gay and a few other name brands, but no Captain or Name Vodka’s. The bar tenders were good (Jonathan and Rondell especially)but sometimes inconsistent with drinks. I think that had partially to do with the fact most of the bottles didn’t had pour tops and they were making some complicated drinks. I felt bad for the bar tenders because a lot of the drinks on the menu were labor intensive and sometimes it would take a while for them to make the drinks. The wine was OK. The white was a little below average ( a Vital fin ???) and the red was pretty decent (blend).

Beach

The sand area of the beach is small but who cares. There are no waves, and barely any tide. It wasn’t too crowded ever but the best chairs would be filled up by 8:00 . The sand is pretty soft, but not very white. South coast had better sand. The one complaint I had about the beach is being harassed but jet ski peddlers every 20 minutes asking me if I wanted to rent a jet ski or get a food massage. They were extremely fake and annoying. I’d be in my chair asleep and they would wake me up to ask me the same [-] they asked my 20 minutes before. Then they would try to guilt you. That is actually my biggest complaint.

Water

The water is the best part of Mango bay. It’s calm and very clear. It’s not as turquoise and pretty as Mexico ’s but is a little clearer.

Snorkeling

This is actually one of the most important aspects of my vacation. I love to snorkel. I have no idea what to expect from Barbados as far as snorkeling went. At first I was quite disappointed with the snorkeling at Mango bay, but I did some exploring down the beach and was pleasantly surprised. There are two marine parks quite close by (Folkestone). If you head right on the beach it is probably 400 yards down the beach. Not the easiest walk but worth it. You know your there because you’ll usually see waves breaking on the reef and a yellow lifeguard stand there. The snorkeling was OK there but if you head left (from MB) down the beach about 600 yards you’ll hit the much better Folkestone marine park (past Cocomos and Cheffete). Just look for boats parked outside the booyies. The snorkeling there is pretty impressive. Healthy coral everywhere, lots of fish, and even a shipwreck. To see turtles I suggest just booking the catamaran trip (lot easier than walking 2 miles). Snorkeling I saw: butterfly fish, angel fish, scorpion fish (beware poisonous) , trunkfish, eels, parrotfish, grunts, drum, squirrelfish, wrasses, lizardfish, stingrays, and even an octopus that lived in a hole right in front of Mango bay. Overall, I would have to say the snorkeling is slightly better than Mexico but different.

Trips

Did the catamaran trip, free and I definitely recommend. Went wake boarding a few times and enjoyed it. I also went surfing with Dread or Dead (there brochure is in the lobby). I cannot recommend them enough. Our guide Jay was awesome. My wife did the lessons (@75) and I did the surf tour (@ 150). They pretty much picked us up for free, gave us boards and drove us to the best surf locations on the island. I went to Soup Bowls and some spot north of Oistins on the south coast. If you go to soup bowls, I recommend I long board (if the conditions are bad and they were when I went). It’s a hard wave to catch when its choppy. The east coast is beautiful and pretty much deserted. We also surfed a spot on the south coast and I liked it a lot better. The water was a lot clearer and less choppy. It did start to get crowded around 4 o’clock after school and work let out.

We also rented a car one day and went to crane beach. The drive was not easy. None of the roads were labeled and the map they gave us was useless but we knew if we followed the water we would eventually find it and we did. It is by far the prettiest beach I have ever seen. If you walk down the beach and around some rocks, we found a great deserted beach (except for a few topless sun bathers) with some little caves. I recommend just taking a cab there, and eating in there restaurant on top of the cliff.

Conclusion

Mango bay will not blow you away with its ambiance, but it will impress you with its service. I felt it was worth the money and definitely a gem. I do have to warm some of you who like sheik, fancy hotels, that it might disappoint you. I was a little disappointed but Mango Bay won me over. Oh by the way it rained probably 12 times a day for about 8 minutes a piece. This seemed to be the norm for the rainy season. My surf guide told me the weather on the south of the island is a little better though. Also I would have to say that 75% of the guests there are British, which I didn’t mind because they are generally more polite than Americans anyway. In general I’m still partial to Mexico but liked Barbados and loved Mango Bay.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
16  Thank captain_sanchez
Reviewed 6 July 2008

Mango Bay is what it is advertised to be, a three star resort. The rooms are comfortable, clean and maid service is very good. We were in an ocean front room upper level, so noise was not a problem other than listening to some less than entertaining entertainment some evenings. The lagoon does smell, and it was dirty. I found that to be very distracting each morning when we got up and out on the beach. We found breakfast to be rather dull and predictable and after first couple of mornings there was no yogurt to be found, there was always fresh fruit and juice so that option was appreciated. Lunches were good, although they did repeat the menu fairly often during the week we were there. I must commend the chef on the variety of soups which were served with lunch and dinner. I also thought portion sizes were very appropriate. Dinner was usually very good, although the two nights of buffet style left much to be desired. Our service on all occasions at the restaurant was excellent. Hats off to little Michelle and Renee at breakfast and lunch. The bar was fine, beer was a bit on the tepid side, but the bartenders did a good job. I wouldnt say they were overly friendly but then they did have a lot to do. The beach was fine, though small and we did get up quite early each morning to get a chair on the beach, had no trouble maintaining it all day if we wanted it. We did take the catamaran ride which was fun, my husband took advantage of the free water-skiing and we also took out the small hobie a few times while there. I have to say that the least friendly people there were the front desk staff. It seemed a chore for them to be of assistance with just about anything. The manager told us at the Wed cocktail party to let them know if anything was a problem so that evening I went to the staff in the front to mention that for a few nights the mosquitoes were bothering me at dinner, I assumed they would have a lotion or spray in a first aid kit. Finally, she brought out her own spray out of the desk and I used this. It was very helpful and rather than buy my own I continued to go to the front office each evening for a spray. I could tell the personnel in the office werent very keen on this but they didnt refuse me. . On our last day, we asked one of the front office personnel to take a picture of us, since we had none of us together on the trip. She acted as if we had asked her to do something quite difficult and quickly took the photo and rushed off. It wasnt as if she was busy, and there were three people in the front office at the time so she didnt have to hurry. All in all we had a nice time, would be go back? Not sure, maybe to Barbados, maybe to Mango Bay, but probably we would look elsewhere to stay.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple