“Ignore the reviews....just go there...”

Mango Bay All Inclusive
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Holetown
Reviewed 17 July 2007

This was my 4th stay in Barbados, and I must say I was very pleased with this hotel.
We booked a standard room (after all you don't spend much time in them!) and other reviews stated that these would be noisy on Kareoki night, the only night we had any disruption was on the Sunday eve, and it stopped by 0100 and it wasn't that bad anyway (we were watching TV at the time, and couldn't hear it!)
The food was the best i have experienced in the Caribbean...it concentrated on quality rather than quantity, although myself and my son have an healthy appetite and we were satisfied with it.
The pool and beach were lovely and there were always plenty of spare beds (the ones around the pool were heavy wooden beds with 3inch think mattresses!!), although if you wanted a parasol you had to get out early..ish for one (about 9am)

There were lots of mozzies about so take plenty of repellent, although that doesn't seem to do much good, but i would get a plug in one for the bedroom as the odd one gets in there also, a bit annoying when you think you are safe from them in there!

All the staff were great, I never saw any without a smile on their faces, no matter what the weather.

The only downside was the entertainment, although we chose this hotel thinking it was quiet, it was very quiet, there was literally a small band (which played very good music) but only background music whilst we ate, after that nothing...although there were places to go outside the hotel if you wanted to.

There was a recreation room where you could swap books and play games, and there was also a pc that you could browse the internet for free 24x7.

All in all, a great place to go to relax and rejuvenate the batteries....go there...you will be pleasantly surprised..

Stayed: July 2007
8  Thank Buffers
Write a ReviewReviews (1,659)

Reviewed 16 July 2007

I just returned from a fabulous stay in Barbados. I travelled with my fiance and we were married at Mango Bay Resort. The staff was wonderful. They made our day so special and carefree. A special thanks to Josea and the other woman who helped us with our wedding coordination. They made our special day one-of-a-kind and unforgettable.

The hotel has a delightfully relaxed atmosphere. The food at the restaurant was delicious.

All in all we had a wonderful stay at Mango Bay and wished it could've been longer!!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
5  Thank beachgirl777
Reviewed 14 July 2007

We stayed in Mango Bay by chance. We had a really bad experience when we arrived in Barbados as the Hotel that we was supposed to have been in was not finished being built so our tour operator put us in Mango Bay, which I must say I am so grateful for.

We had the best time ever, I am such a fussy eater and don’t really eat much at all while we are away normally. However, the staff said that if I just told them what I wanted before the evening meal, they would cook for me. It was great, my partner (who eats anything) had loads of choice from the al a carte menu and he said it was the nicest food he had had while abroad.

We got talking to loads of people that had stayed there many times before and I have to say we will definitely be going back in the next few years. They had a wedding when we went there which was really well arranged. There was also a cricket movie being made during our stay, but the staff made sure that this did not affect us at all.

The rooms are really nice, clean and modern. The cleaner make really nice touches like turning down the quilts at night and leaving you chocolates on your pillow. That is ok if you have not had too many drinks and don’t see them, as you wake up with them in your hair in the morning.

The Owner was around a lot when we were there and he made a point of talking to everyone. The bar and restaurant staff made you feel so welcome what more can I stay. If you get a chance GO THERE you will love it.

Stayed: October 2006
6  Thank mememememeberkshire
Reviewed 14 July 2007

This hotel is fantastic!!
Rooms excellent!
Food exquisite!
Beach and pool fabulous!
Staff first rate (nothing was too much trouble)!
cocktails very drinkable!!!

My wife and I stayed for 2 weeks, last week of June first week of July and I can honestly say that this was our best holiday ever, and would recomend the Mango Bay to anyone.

Clive and Tina Hazzard. Wiltshie. England

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
6  Thank wiltshireChairman
Reviewed 13 July 2007

I cannot say any more except that it was excellent. Food, staff in fact everything added together made it a perfect holiday. It was our 3rd stay there and we are definitely going back

Stayed: August 2004
3  Thank TelegramSam
Reviewed 25 June 2007

I had a very positive experience at Mango Bay. The resort is gorgeous with some of the finer luxuries you will not receive elsewhere. It is a very small resort with around 70 rooms which could become slightly boring as every day seems to be the same but it is fantastic for relaxing!

I was upgraded to a superior room which was very clean, pleasant and nicely maintained. The TV was not very good, (although it was an LCD) I just don’t think that the hotel gets very good signal on any channel (the brochure says that there are 11 channels but I managed to get 5 or 6 which had no-so-great pictures). I did ask for this to be checked, which it was but I was never updated on the progress even though nothing had ever changed. I did manage to do a better job myself tuning it…! But it could be the case that it was just my room with the problems so don’t dwell, I am a bit of a couch potato so it was important to me but may not be to many others.

There is a free internet service in the guest lounge although we had our own laptop and could surf the internet using the free wireless connection from our sunloungers and even our balcony when we aimed it right! Very useful. If you like using the internet and have a laptop I would recommend taking it.

The food service is very different from what you would receive in a different all inc resort. Breakfast was a good standard but didn’t change at all (do they ever?). You had to book a time slot for lunch and dinner and the food was a la carte (apart from once a week when there was a buffet). The menu changed daily and there was something for everyone. The lunches were very filling- more so than the evening dinners I feel. The food was to a good standard and the service was mostly good (very polite restaurant staff). This ‘time-slot’ method made the resort feel exclusive because it felt as though you were going to a real restaurant each night. It was very serene and calm of an evening and quite romantic with fairly lights wrapped around pillars and posts.

There was also an afternoon tea session (4pm-6pm) which was handy in case you were slightly hungry. My only problem with the food structure was that if you had missed breakfast (I am not an early riser and you need to get there before 10!), you would literally not be able to eat anything until lunchtime (and probably by the time you woken, all the early lunch reservations would have been taken and you would have to wait until at least 1.15-1.30 before you could get anything to eat). I think it would be good for the hotel to have a snack bar as this situation happened to me more than once. That being said, there are bars and shops literally right outside so you could pop there if you were really ravenous.

The pool is very nice and well kept, it looks small but is perfectly adequate for the amount of guests (the hotel was almost full when I was there). I sometimes found I was the only person in the pool which was nice. The beach was also very nice and well kept.

The free excursions and water sports are fab. I went on the catamaran to snorkel with the turtles (a very fun experience- they are huge!) and I also tried water-skiing (be careful, it pulls you harder than what you think- you need to be in good upper-body shape!).

The service was 90% excellent. There were a few grumpy employees which was a shame as most of the staff was really attentive and friendly. But then many of these people are working all the hours under the sun so you have to remember to be understanding.

We didn’t go to any bars in Holetown. It was very quiet and for the same atmosphere I could drink in the hotel for free! So that’s what I did! There is a ‘mall’ nearby, with a few nik nak shops which is ok to pass some time. Do not expect any decent shopping in Barbados, we went to Bridgetown (free shuttle) and it was quite disappointing but I had taken my previous holiday in Orlando and I live in London so I guess I am generally spoiled for shopping! At least I managed to work myself out of my overdraft quite a bit…

I hardly spent any money in Barbados which was a shocker! Transportation is really cheap (about 40p to take the bus to anywhere on the island) and taxis are not too extreme. I booked a couple of shows/nights out which were worth doing (Bajan Roots & Rhythms and the Harbour Master Sunlight Cruise).

The evening entertainment is a bit drab and some of the acts were appalling. Make sure you enjoy the company of the person you are with because you need to entertain yourself! If you like romantic songs and steel pans you will be fine most of the time. No shows unfortunately which I prefer.

That being said the hotel is generally aimed towards older couples/families, romantics and or those that prefer a quiet holiday. I think a week is definitely enough, if going to Barbados for longer try to do twin hotels and perhaps stay some time on the south coast which is a bit different. I would definitely return to the Mango Bay and I highly recommend it!

I hope this review has been useful, I am happy to answer any questions you may have – helentiff@hotmail.com.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
22  Thank helentiff
Reviewed 22 June 2007

We have just come back from the most fantastic week at this hotel and can confirm that it totally lives up to the great reviews it has been getting on tripadvisor. We booked into this hotel because it had such good reviews and we were not disappointed at all.
Taking the advice of other tripadvisor reviews we upgraded from a superior room to a deluxe room and we really felt we had been given one of the best rooms in the hotel. It was beautifully and tastefully decorated, the bathroom was huge with a really powerful shower. The room was immaculate and was thoroughly cleaned everyday. We were provided with fresh beach towels and fresh towels each day too. Each evening the bed was turned down while we were at dinner and a little chocolate for each of us was left on our pillow.
Our room looked over the pool and we had our own pool sunloungers right out side the room as well as terrace furniture. This made life with our 11 month old baby really easy as when he was having a nap in the room we were right by him, yet were still sunbathing!!!
The food was absolutely fantastic. The menu had been thought through carefully and there was a choice of red meat, white meat, fish or vegetarian at each evening meal. Lunch was also delicious and you could either have a burger and fries or a full three course lunch depending on how you felt. Afternoon tea was an institution and it felt so civilised sipping tea and eating little sandwiches and cakes as the sun went down! My husband was initially a bit concerned about the dress code for dinner (long trousers and collared shirts for men -as he is a t-shirts and shorts guy on holidays) but in actual fact it made dinner a really special experience and we enjoyed getting smartened up for the evening!!!
Most nights there was entertainment which seemed to be of a very high standard (although our little boy was normally asleep by then but we could sit on our terrace and still enjoy the music which was good.

My husband really enjoyed the complimentary watersports and went out every day, either waterskiing, kayaking or hobi-cat sailing. The hotel also provides snorkels and we went on the complimentary catamaran trip which was fantastic. There is also a glass bottom boat trip and a bus into Bridgetown offered by the hotel but we didn't do that.
There were always seats by the pool (some people reserved seats but it didn't really seem necessary) and when you went down to the beach the chap from the watersports centre brought you sun loungers and an umbrella there were plenty available so there was always some where to sit !
I have to say something about the staff who were so kind and friendly and showed so much love to our little boy! He was immediately greeted when ever we went to the restaurant and someone would rush over with a highchair for him. They would prepare special meals for him which would be ready as soon as we sat down in the restaurant! The hotel is definitely child friendly and we would recommend it to anyone travelling with a young baby or toddler.
There was a variety of guests at the hotel, honeymoon couples, families, retired couples, single people, groups of friends and the hotel effortlessly catered for everyones needs. As a result everyone seemed to be really relaxed and having a wonderful time!
We will definitely be returning!
A few words of advice for anyone thinking of booking this hotel. Don't book a standard room if you are planning on an early night as the standard rooms are close to local bars which blast out music late into the night. Also, the Ocean view rooms are lovely but are close to the hotel restaurant and bar. Although the hotel entertainment finishes at 11pm some people we met said that they were disturbed by people sitting chatting loudly in the bar until the early hours. So for travellers like us who had young children that needed to be in bed early we would recommend the pool view rooms which are further from the restaurant and bar. Also take plenty of insect repellant. There is a river that runs behind the hotel and although the river is treated and the bedrooms are sprayed every evening with insect repellant the mosquitos do occassionally get through especially when it rains!
If you do choose this hotel - have a great time! We did!!!

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
18  Thank waveseeker
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holetown
2 mi away
The Crane Resort
The Crane Resort
#1 of 4 in Saint Philip Parish
Waves Hotel & Spa by Elegant Hotels
Waves Hotel & Spa by Elegant Hot...
#3 of 26 in Saint James Parish

Been to Mango Bay All Inclusive? Share your experiences!