We have just returned from 2 wonderful weeks (mid January) all inclusive, garden room, at Discovery Bay. This was our 2nd visit, (same period last year) . As us, this hotel sees many repeat guests, year on year. Given our world-wide travel experience it is without doubt the friendliest hotel (both guests & staff) we have ever visited. We have travelled many times to the Caribbean Islands and have come to realise the value for money offered by Rex Resorts. This hotel is no exception, located in Holetown, & well positioned between the much higher cost Sandpiper and Mango Bay hotels. Big change this year has seen the new appointment of a 'highly visible' and committed GM; Mr Brian Carter who now listens to any complaints and gets things done. Since last year the hotel has also had a complete revamp of the pool area, with high quality sun beds and parasols added. Just be careful NOT to dive into the pool, since, although large it is essentially too shallow @ 4 ft deep for adult use. Also, the southern end of the grounds has upgraded day-bar and dining areas. Breakfast, is still in my opinion the best meal of the day. Lunch quality has been greatly improved since last year. Evening Dinner can still be a hit and miss; but here again, credit to Mr Carter, complaints by several guests following one particular Saturday evening 'unsatisfactory' meal; yielded a tremendous improvement for the remainder of the holiday. My advice..Don't come to the Caribbean if you dislike chicken or fresh fish!
The biggest disappointment for us, this year has been the beach. It's an absolute given for any beach front hotel in Barbados that soft sand of top quality is provided by the natural environment. This beach was first class last year. The rework to extend the beach and provide more protection for the front sea facing rooms has left a hard platform of very small sharp stone pebbles, which are painful on the bare feet. I guess the upgrade to the poolside somewhat compensates, but who comes to the west coast of Barbados to sit at a pool positioned 100 yards back from the sea. Conditions for our return would be based on ( the hope) that occasional heavy seas and erosion would get the beach back to that wonderful soft sand prevalent in the west coast of Barbados. I would also hope, the hotel maintains it's competitive edge, providing that excellent value for money which brings back the repeat guests year on year.
A word of caution for anyone who has not visited Barbados before. Bus services to & from the hotel to Bridgetown & Speightstown are excellent, but my advice would be to avoid the 'Yellow' buses. These are privately owned, driven by young drivers, have continuous very loud music, and have been witnessed to race each other to the next bus station for first option on passenger pick-up. Use only the government controlled 'Blue' buses to increase your probability of staying alive. A bad accident involving a yellow bus occurred during our stay. People in our hotel witnessed use of mobile-phone-texting by their yellow-bus driver and described the experience as downright dangerous driving. I don't understand why the Barbados government does not do something to fix this; before a real serious accident involving life occurs.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A unique hotel situated on St James Beach, the Discovery Bay consists of charming plantation-style houses set in beautiful landscaped gardens. Located on the fashionable West coast, days at this resort are centred around the beach and the pool, the upscale Limegrove shopping mall and nightlife on Holetown's first street a short walk away. The resort is all-inclusive and family friendly, popular with couples also. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Holiday Gems, LoveHolidays, TravelUp, West Indies, Hotels.com, Southall Travel, Expedia, Booking.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Discovery Bay by Rex Resorts reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Discovery Bay By Rex Hotel Saint James
- Discovery Bay Barbados
- Discovery Bay Hotel Barbados
- Discovery Bay By Rex Resorts Barbados/Holetown