“Discovery Bay in January 2014”

Discovery Bay by Rex Resorts
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Holetown
Norfolk
“Discovery Bay in January 2014”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We liked the hotel and the setting. The maintenance was very up and down, especially when we arrived. Our room overlooked the beach and was fine for swimming and snorkelling. The food left a lot to be desired, however. It was very repetitive and overcooked, not as much choice as one would have liked either, though the staff were very friendly.

Room Tip: If you like the sound of the sea, a sea front room is good.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank NorfolkAnna
Brian C, General Manager at Discovery Bay by Rex Resorts, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us in January.

The hotel has the ideal setting, close to shops, banks, post office, cinema and many bars and restaurants. To enhance this, our beach is one of the larges on the West coast of Barbados.

The Beach Fronts rooms are a “stones throw” from the azure Caribbean sea.

The menus have changed to offer more variety, using the freshest of local produce.

Thank you for your kind comments on our staff, they enjoy delivering friendly efficient service.

Thank you also for choosing Discovery Bay by rex resorts for you preferred hotel and look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.
Brian Carter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Great place lovely beach all good amenities & location great staff you soon...food was reasonable even catered for my wife Karen who has gluten allergy which was difficult but they did overcome this as best they could so yes we will be back next year to sample the delights of Barbados. ..

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Brian C, General Manager at Discovery Bay by Rex Resorts, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
I am very pleased that you though that our staff are great. They try their best to deliver friendly, efficient service and have received great compliments.

Buffets are offered for all meals; breakfast also offers a live omelette station, lunch along with the buffet ,grilled snack items are offered and for dinner bar-be-cues and buffets.
We take pride in catering for anyone with special dietary requirements. Once we know in advance we can arrange to have special meals prepared.

It was indeed a pleasure to have you stay at Discovery Bay and I very much look forward to welcoming you back next year.
Manchester
Reviewed 9 May 2014

If you want heaven on the beach nice helpfull staff , home cooked food peace and quiet this is the place slightly dated but if you want a 5 star go to Las Vegas or Dubia or pay Sandy Lane s rates ! !
2 min walk down the beach for the best bar on west coast (surf side) perfect

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank DavidBowling
Thank you for taking the time to write this review.
It was a pleasure having you stay with us at Discovery Bay by rex resorts.

We are very fortunate to have one of the largest beaches on the West coast at the doorstep of the hotel.

I will gladly pass on your kind sentiments about our nice helpful staff. We are very focused on exceeding our guests’ expectations.

Not only are we close to Surf Side Beach Bar but also banks, supermarket, shops and many other restaurants and bars.

Thank you again for your kind compliments and I look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Upon arrival at this resort, we gained the impression that we were not expected! After some initial confusion, our reservation was found. We were told our room was not ready despite arriving at 3pm. We were offered a drink and waited in reception for about an hour or so, eventually being shown to our room. No porter service was offered and my partner had to carry my suitcase up the stairs to the room on the first floor. Initial impressions were disappointing: the room looked "tired" and felt quite warm, which surprised me. I assumed that the air conditioning was set low, and we attempted to adjust this to cool the room. After suffering the warm room for 3 days and nights, we mentioned this to reception and Nikita, the dining room manager, who promptly got us moved to another room where air conditioning worked well.
Overall, there seems to be a lack of "uniformity" in the rooms: odd mismatched furniture, lack of consistency in what is provided and what is not. An example was another guest telling me about the lack of replenishments of tea/coffee in her room. Also no bottled water provided, and I found this baffling, as wherever I have stayed in warm countries, there is always a daily stock of bottled water for the guests in their rooms.
The food was pretty average, most days it was not particularly warm, and on occasion particular dishes had "run out" within half hour of service leaving guests with little alternative offered.
On the up side: hotel is placed right on the beach, which is clean and well maintained, pool bar and lawn areas well maintained. Staff are amazing! Everyone we came into contact with was friendly, helpful and willing to do what was asked of them.
There was some evening entertainment provided most evenings, but bar area not very comfortable - chairs are very basic plastic and either low backed or imitation wicker work, very hard and uncomfortable. Having said this, there are adequate local bars/restaurants and a shopping mall on the doorstep, Bridgetown is around a 40 minute bus ride away for a fixed fare of $2 - around 60p.
The hotel had around 25% occupancy which added to the general feeling of "tiredness".
There is so much that would enhance this hotel resort: quiz nights, cooking classes, up the ante on entertainment, although Brian, the manager does offer a cocktails evening every Tuesday. This was well attended and the whole atmosphere improved - but just the once a week!! It might also be worth considering employing an "ents" person to drum up some activities too. I know for sure that occupancy could be increased if say, SAGA were to engage with this resort. It is fairtly access friendly [slopes as well as stairs in parts] but would want to see porters/welcome at reception etc in place before considering this resort .Although web site mentions a gym/fitness centre this has been closed down! I specifically booked based on this information.
My final disappointment was that the second room bed had a very uncomfortable mattress: I could feel every section of springs all the way down. When I mentioned this to our room girl, she kindly added a duvet to the top of the mattress, which really did little to improve the discomfort, so I just put up!!
Overall, my first visit to Barbados and would think hard about returning to Discovery Bay in its present condition.

Room Tip: We booked a beach front room, and the sound of the sea is relaxing - just make sure air con is worki...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank mogeorges
Brian C, General Manager at Discovery Bay by Rex Resorts, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post this review.

I am very sorry that the check in process took so long, it normally is seamless and arrival rooms are usually ready before 3pm.

I apologize for the air conditioner not working for three nights but I am very pleased that Nikita was able to action a room move so quickly.
The hotel is one of the older colonial hotels which our maintenance team tries to keep in the best condition as possible.

We try our best to offer a variety of dishes breakfast is a buffet with a live omelette station.
Lunch is a buffet with variety of salads a pasta dish and freshly grilled fish, hamburgers and pork or lamb chop.
Dinner offers a buffet with a number of salads, five hot dishes and a carvery. I am very sorry that one of the dishes ran out before the end of service, but sometimes a particular dish is popular which would cause it to be depleted.

We are very fortunate to have one of the best locations close to banks, supermarket, shops, a luxury cinema and many restaurant and bars. The beach is one of the largest on the West coast of Barbados.

Thank you for your kind compliments on our staff they all aim to provide friendly efficient service.

I am very sorry that some of the information on our website was misleading; I will endeavour to have this corrected.

I am so sorry that the mattress was uncomfortable, I apologize that our room attendant did not inform me of this as I would replaced it with another more comfortable mattress. However I am pleased that the room attendant tried her best to rectify the situation.

I will discuss the short comings that you have mention to put a plan in action to rectify them.

Hopefully you will reconsider visiting Discovery bay by rex resorts on any future trips to Barbados.

London
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Had a wonderful chill out break for 7 days. Virgin got us there and back with no hitches. We had a ground floor garden room that was really too small for 3 of us. Shirley at reception was most helpful and moved up to a garden room with a balcony. This was much better for 2 adults and 1 Child. The beach is good and people should remember it is the same beach that people in the next door hotels pay twice the price for. Food was your standard fair at this level, there is ice cream but you have to ask for it. Shame they choose white covered furniture around the pool as it looked grubby, would have been better in dark green,brown,navy. It is a no frills hotel that needs its owners to get it to the same standard as the other Rex Resorts in Grenada and Tobago. As in their other hotels, they need to provide snorkel equipment, more friut selection, more vegetarian cooked breakfast options etc. There is no kids club, They had some good bands come but they performed in the garden that was seperate from the seating area. But I think you get really good value here and I would go again as it has a great location and beach.

The room we had was fine but the bathroom needed a deep clean and the balcony was never cleaned during our stay. The bath towels are a bit on the small side.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank LondonDeborah
Brian C, General Manager at Discovery Bay by Rex Resorts, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
I am very glad that you enjoyed your break at Discovery Bay by rex resorts and that your room move enabled you to have more space.

The beach was refurbished by the Government last year and as a result it is one of the largest in the area with fine white sand.

We vary our meals as much as possible, at lunch; along with the buffet we offer a grill with fresh catch and hamburgers. For dinner we feature a Caribbean night and a BBQ night.
The padded sun loungers and day beds around the pool keep us busy cleaning and rotating them every day but they are extremely comfortable and I agree we should look at a darker colour when replacing them.

We are now sourcing snorkeling equipment and should soon be able to offer this service.
I am sorry that the fruit selection did not meet you expectation and you thought the breakfast options limited, I will review this with the Chef.

I apologize that the bathroom is not up to standard, I will have the housekeeping team review this. The balconies should be cleaned every day so I will need to review the check list to ensure that this is rectified.

Our aim is to offer value for money and I am pleased that you thought this has been achieved.

Our location is ideal close to banks, shops, supermarket, and many bars and restaurants.

Thank you so much for choosing Discovery Bay and I look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Good value for money hotel,we were in a garden room with a great view of the complex,rooms a little tired but kept very clean by a daily maid service,great shower,air con very good,points for plugs not always working and had to plug in my kettle on the floor as the point below the table was'nt working.Food was very good generally,great breakfast with eggs cooked to order(fried,Omelette) good Barbeque lunch and a carvery for dinner.The staff were always very helpful and obliging, the selection of bar drinks could be improved and ran out of beer one night.A really nice pool area with some lovely beds but for me and my wife the beach was fantastic,almost your own private beach which Malcolm looked after with justifiable pride.Holetown has two Malls within 10 minutes walk with plenty of other places to eat if you dont want to take advantage of the 'All Inclusive'.I would stay here again with pleasure and hope to do so next year.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Brian C, General Manager at Discovery Bay by Rex Resorts, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
We try our best to offer value for money. Our Garden View rooms are the most popular category and are located very centrally by the pool and beach bar.

I will pass on your kind sentiments concerning the clean room, rain head shower and air conditioning; we try and make the rooms as comfortable as possible.

Let me apologize for having to put the kettle on the floor in order for it to work. Housekeeping have extension cords which should have been offered to you.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed the freshly cook omelettes for breakfast, our BBQ lunch and dinner carvery. Variety is extremely important in an all inclusive which we aim to provide so that the meals aren’t boring.

Thank you for mentioning the staff, they do go out of their way to provide friendly professional service with a smile.

I will review the selection of bar drinks. There are a few occasions that a particular drink is popular and the bar stock falls short, but this isn’t very often. Please accept my apology for the beer running out.

The pool area was upgraded last year with new padded sun loungers and day beds which really up lifted the area.

The beach was refurbished by the Government and is now one of the best on the West coast.

Malcolm is a treasure who ensures every day that the beach is clean and the sun loungers and umbrellas are placed on what ever part of the beach you desire.

Our location is ideal, close to banks, shops, supermarket, post office and many bars and restaurants. All with in walking distance, for longer excursions the bus stops are just outside the hotel’s entrance.

We are extremely please that you enjoyed your stay at Discovery Bay by rex resorts and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Burton On Trent
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

On the whole Discovery Bay is good value .......for what you pay. The rooms were clean but a bit tired, for example our balcony door stuck and fell off its runners, but that wasn't really a big problem. If you have to choose rooms definitely go for the beachfront ones. Falling asleep whilst listening to the waves lap up on the shore is idyllic. The sea is all of 30ft from your front door ! The pool area is good ( shallow pool though ) as it's just been upgraded and the beach is nice and quiet. The food is best at lunchtimes with the evening dinner being a bit hit and miss ( the beef joint ran out in the first 20 mins ) - be aware men need to wear full length trousers, not even the poshest restaurant on the island ( The Cliff ) requires you to do this ! But for what you paid you can eat out a few times. The bar closes at 11.00pm so make sure you take advantage of that' all inclusive' nice and early !! Great nightlife just 2 streets away which will let you rock until the early hours. All in all if you have a tight budget you can't go wrong with staying at 'disco' !

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Andy H
Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review.

I am very pleased that you were of the opinion that Discovery Bay is good value for money and that our rooms are clean. Some bathrooms are a little tired and we will need to put a programme in place to upgrade them. I am very sorry about your balcony door which has now received a full service.
You are correct in pointing out that our Ocean Front rooms could not be any closer to the sea. Very few hotels on the West coast of Barbados are this close to the tranquil Caribbean Sea.
The pool area was upgraded last year, receiving luxury padded sun loungers and day beds along with a new granite top bar and snack kitchen.
The beach was refurbished last year by the Government and is now one of the largest on the West coast.
I am very glad that you enjoyed our lunch time buffet; let me apologize for the inconsistent dinner buffets and running out of beef. I will review this with my kitchen team to look at ways of improving the evening meals.
Discovery Bay by rex resorts is very conveniently located in Holetown near to banks, shops, supermarket, post office and many bars and restaurants.

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Sincerely
Brian Carter
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holetown
Butterfly Beach Hotel
Beach View
Beach View
#2 of 26 in Saint James Parish
Mango Bay All Inclusive

Been to Discovery Bay by Rex Resorts? Share your experiences!